Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Vontae Davis all that good?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
Is Vontae Davis all that good?
I've heard he showed up to camp out of shape and with a bad attitude, and that this was apparent in a specific Hard Knocks episode. I don't watch HK so I don't know for sure. He and Sean Smith both have been considered solid-or-better CBs since their rookie years.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

is josh chapman healthy yet? just wonderin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
is josh chapman healthy yet? just wonderin
He hasn't played yet, and as far as I know hasn't even practiced. I heard a rumor that he was going to play tomorrow vs. the Redskins but who knows. He played a long time on a torn ACL, I just hope he can play at all.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-26-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't see the game, but it sounds like the only positive was the play of QBs.

Looks like we have more holes then I previously thought.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mystery solved.

Colts trade 2nd rounder for Vontae Davis.

This should improve our secondary. But it looks like we'll have very few picks in next year's draft.

Grigson might earn himself a new nickname, "Quick Trigger".
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My thoughts Offense:
Castonzo/Reitz are pretty good at their spots, but the other 3 spots are rather poor. Saw a few instances where they switched blocking assignments during a play. So compared to the rest of the line, they are in fact blocking people and are coordinated in doing so. I saw two plays in the first quarter where Satele's attempts to block were border-line comical. We need 3 new O-linemen over the long-term.

Brown is pretty yucky between the tackles, but was able to make people miss. Also, did we have success against the Steelers with the draw play? We sure didn't vs the Redskins. In pass-blocking, he spent most of his time assisting our tackles against their OLBs, put his shoulder into the defender and help from there.

Hilton looks really good considering he's a 3rd rounder. Didn't see much from the TEs yesterday. The offense really went through Wayne/Hilton at least while Luck was in.

Defense:
Freeney at OLB is a square peg in a round hole. He looks lost and clunky back-pedaling, and I think his pass rush loses something while standing. Him at OLB almost turns him from a strength to a weakness. With Mathis on the bench (he sat out I assume due to his shoulder injury last week), the strength of our defense is our ILBs & Bethea.

They got 3 long runs when Hughes/Freeney didn't set the edge/didn't prevent the cut-back.

I do like Conner/Freeman at ILB. They're not superstars or anything, but getting their job done. That said our D-line isn't doing them any favors.

Everything I've seen from A. Johnson says he's not a 3-4 nt (he struggles when single-blocked, let along demanding a double-team). Multiple plays he's just pushed out of the middle by a single O-lineman.

I didn't even bother looking at the 2ndary but Griffen was 11/17. If you consider there were 3-4 long bomb attempts, that puts him at 11/14 when not just chucking it deep. There weren't a lot of 15-20 yd completions (which is probably more due to RG3 than our 2ndary, but they got 7-10 yards almost every time they attempted it.

All in all, the deciding factor in the game was that they could run the ball, we could not. I don't recall seeing a single tackle for a loss by our defense. Nor any defender really drawing a double team. Alternatively when we ran the ball, our runners were dodging defenders in the back-field, ran into a scrum of players with no running lanes, or were run down at the LoS from behind by a corner.

On that note, the WR tight formations really do clog the running lanes. IMO, having them near the O-line just leads to their defender having a better chance to make the play on running plays. Not sure if there's an advantage I'm missing, but yeah. IMO our best chance for success this season will be with 4 receiving options wide (whether they're TEs or WRs I don't care) and with a RB there to block and pretend we might run it. But all the positives I recall discussing about running from the 2-TE set, I'm not seeing it. That said, its the pre-season and we'll have a better chance to judge week 1.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

And we lost Brandon McKinney for the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-to-torn-acl/

Hopefully Chapman can come back and contribute soon. NT all of a sudden is a big concern.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
My thoughts Offense:
Castonzo/Reitz are pretty good at their spots, but the other 3 spots are rather poor. Saw a few instances where they switched blocking assignments during a play. So compared to the rest of the line, they are in fact blocking people and are coordinated in doing so. I saw two plays in the first quarter where Satele's attempts to block were border-line comical. We need 3 new O-linemen over the long-term.
We have no RG and Justice has been disappointing. I am hoping Good Satele shows up more during the regular season because Bad Satele is going to get Luck killed.

Quote:
Brown is pretty yucky between the tackles, but was able to make people miss. Also, did we have success against the Steelers with the draw play? We sure didn't vs the Redskins. In pass-blocking, he spent most of his time assisting our tackles against their OLBs, put his shoulder into the defender and help from there.
Brown will never been a between-the-tackles runner. He isn't strong enough AND his vision is terrible. Give him space and he is a threat. But he is a situational back only. Great 1st round pick Polian. Nice job.

Quote:
Hilton looks really good considering he's a 3rd rounder. Didn't see much from the TEs yesterday. The offense really went through Wayne/Hilton at least while Luck was in.
Given all the trading Grigs is doing I wish they hadn't had to trade up for him. But he has had some seriously pro catches so far. I'm sure he's learning a ton from Wayne.

Quote:
Defense:
Freeney at OLB is a square peg in a round hole. He looks lost and clunky back-pedaling, and I think his pass rush loses something while standing. Him at OLB almost turns him from a strength to a weakness. With Mathis on the bench (he sat out I assume due to his shoulder injury last week), the strength of our defense is our ILBs & Bethea.

They got 3 long runs when Hughes/Freeney didn't set the edge/didn't prevent the cut-back.
Freeney has not looked good but I am reserving judgement until the real games start. I think Pagano will use him effectively, even if that means his role becomes more situational.

Quote:
Everything I've seen from A. Johnson says he's not a 3-4 nt (he struggles when single-blocked, let along demanding a double-team). Multiple plays he's just pushed out of the middle by a single O-lineman.
This preseason has been rough. Too many players that actually matter are getting hurt. Powers at least sounds like he'll be OK. Losing McKinney blows, especially since Chapman won't even be available to play til week 7. We're down to AJ and Chigbo Anunoby. I agree AJ hasn't looked great.

Quote:
On that note, the WR tight formations really do clog the running lanes. IMO, having them near the O-line just leads to their defender having a better chance to make the play on running plays. Not sure if there's an advantage I'm missing, but yeah. IMO our best chance for success this season will be with 4 receiving options wide (whether they're TEs or WRs I don't care) and with a RB there to block and pretend we might run it. But all the positives I recall discussing about running from the 2-TE set, I'm not seeing it. That said, its the pre-season and we'll have a better chance to judge week 1.
The playcalling was questionable for much of the Skins game. I think we will see more of Luck adjusting things from the line in the regular season.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Hopefully a good NT gets cut and we get first dibs. When McKinney grabbed behind his knee I knew he'd torn his ACL.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Hopefully a good NT gets cut and we get first dibs. When McKinney grabbed behind his knee I knew he'd torn his ACL.
Yeap, NT and OL are needed.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pagano says Collie is only day-to-day, and will be ready by the season opener.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
Pagano says Collie is only day-to-day, and will be ready by the season opener.
Seems like a really bad idea to me. I hope he knows what he's doing. He is the 2nd best receiver on the team but his brain has taken a beating pretty early in his career.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

So far they've claimed NT Martin Tevaseu, OL Mike Person and FS Sergio Brown.

I've read good things on Tevaseu. Sounds like he was just a victim of numbers game of the deep Jets D-Line.

Person is a versatile OL guy who can play either OT or OG, but not much of an upgrade at either spot.

Brown isn't really a starting caliber guy, but might be a good backup and ST guy.

To make room, Colts release SS Jermale Hines, OT Ty Nsekhe and CB DJ Johnson. Hopefully Nsekhe is kept on PS.

Last edited by MaxV : 09-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Bummed that Nsekhe didn't make the team. OL looks pretty bad right now.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do we have a shot against the Bears? Are they sitting Collie? And who the hell is lining up at NT? Johnson?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnson is our NT for now till we upgrade in FA or the draft next off season. Our offense has the potential to score points though i'm quite concerned about our talent on the O-Line. Chicago isn't suppose to have much in pass protection so we might get some pressure on Jay. The Bears WRs at this point are better than out secondary. Will see how long it takes for Davis to pick up our defense and if he can avoid knucklehead decision making off the field.

I think we can compete this year in perhaps half of the games if not a few more but anymore than 4/5 wins is pretty optimistic. As mentioned before, our O-Line and secondary are still a year or two away from allowing the team to be playoff competitive.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well, that was a reality check I guess.

This team is further away from competing then I thought.

O-Line and D-Line need to be rebuild completely. And we need help in other areas (OLB, DB and maybe ILB) as well.

I'm already looking at 2013 prospects that could be big upgrades for us.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I am OK with our DBs. With all the time Cutler had to stand around in the pocket, and with the caliber of WR they had to defend, I don't think you can blame them too much this game. Zbikowski will have to do this year and probably next year. I'm also not concerned about our ILBs, especially once Angerer can rotate again.

At OLB I don't know if Hughes is really that big of a downgrade to Freeney in this defense or if the defensive playcalling needs work or what. But the pressure just mostly disappeared once Freeney went out. It came back here and there, and I'm sure Tice had the line make adjustments to counter the scheme. But Hughes looked terrible (bad effort, bad angles, what happened to the preseason Hughes?), Mathis wasn't a big factor, and I didn't notice Addison if he did make it into the game. Mathis apparently did get a 2nd sack at some point in the game but Cutler had lots of time to throw for the most part.

Which brings me to the DL. Terrible, terrible game. We don't have a nosetackle. Johnson is not going to cut it. The new guy, I will call him MTV because I don't remember his real name, didn't look much better. Just not stout enough to demand multiple blockers and keep the LBs free. Moala played like I always expect him to. I didn't notice Nevis in much, and didn't see him making a difference when he was in. Same for Mathews. I was disappointed in Redding. He probably played the best out of the DEs but he still struggled with his blocker at times and then got hurt again. The DL as a whole did a bad job of protecting the LBs and it lead to Forte and Bush punishing us at the worst times. Anytime the Bears OL is able to stonewall a 6 man rush there is a huge problem. Star Lotuleili in the draft, anyone?

On offense, we are set at QB, TE, LT, WR1, and maybe RB. The other 4 OL spots were all AWFUL. Luck is going to get killed if we have Olsen and McGlynn letting interior rushers through so easily every game. Satele I think might be good if he had better guards playing on either side, but he doesn't. He's not good on his own and not good enough to elevate the play of others. I don't see the strength he's reported to have. Linkenbach should be cut after this game, he fails every time he gets an opportunity (and he gets opportunities often, since our OLmen get hurt so much).

We need two starting guards (I like Reitz but he can't stay healthy), another starting tackle, and depth. Spend some of that big chunk of cap fixing the line, Grigson. Luck needs the protection.

We also need the WRs to learn how to get open in the NFL. Luck will not have time to let them outrun defenders. The young guys need to watch Wayne and how he got open so fast vs. the Bears.

IMO only one of Luck's turnovers was his fault. The late INT in the redzone. The other two INTs were a tipped ball that should've been caught and a missed offsides penalty that Luck thought was a free play so he took a shot. And blame Linkenbach and the other OL for his fumble. It pissed me off to see Link actually shove Wooten INTO Luck, while Castonzo and Olsen stood there looking the wrong way for someone to block. Heads not on a swivel at all.

This offense needs to throw the slower-developing plays out for now and focus on plays that either get the ball out of Luck's hands fast or get him moving outside the pocket. And the OL needs to pull their heads out of their asses and run block. Luck needs a run game. Brown showed he sometimes can run between the tackles. I was surprised. But he and Ballard will need much better more consistent blocking.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My first thought from the game is, we're sooooo lucky to have Wayne. Without him this offense would be a disaster and Luck would be in a much more difficult situation.

Think the secondary played very well. There were some passes defended that were far better than I've seen in in recent times. Bears have some very good receivers but a trash O-line. And we couldn't exploit that weakness like we normally could. If we had the pass-rush we had in previous years, we could have a very strong pass defense. I'm pleased/content with Zbikowski so far.

Regarding Freeney, I'm not sold on him as valuable as a 3-4 olb. I think the drop in pass-rush was more a result of the threat of Freeney. On 2 plays where Freeney dropped back, 2 blockers were left with no one to block and single-blockers on the other side. His reputation as a pass-rusher paired with the confusion that 3-4 defenses can cause were our best weapons yesterday.

Regarding the O-line, yeah it's a mess. I really think we need to examine our play-calling, and find a way to be successful. I don't want this to turn into a David Carr situation, and yesterday was a step in that direction. Need to get some screens to Hilton/Brazil, or leave 7-8 blockers in.

Considering that I'd rather not use a top 10 pick on the O-line, we don't have a 2nd round next year, and I don't trust a 3rd round+ to step in right away, I'm hoping we can get this sorted out in free agency next year. With $40m to spend, we should be able to get 3-4 good starters. I'm near certain Grigs & Chuck value being tough in the trenches, so hopefully that's where they spend the money.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 09-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

If a Frachise-caliber OT is there, I would be tempted. Move Castonzo to RT and have a strong pass-protection for a decade.

Either that or a beastly front 7 (OLB, DE or NT) player would be on top of my wish list for 1st round.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
If a Frachise-caliber OT is there, I would be tempted. Move Castonzo to RT and have a strong pass-protection for a decade.

Either that or a beastly front 7 (OLB, DE or NT) player would be on top of my wish list for 1st round.
I am honestly a lot more worried about the interior OL than I am either OT spot. I think Castonzo is a fine LT. I think I would rather sign an OLman in free agency and draft a defensive player high in the first.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Yeah, there's a few front 7 guys (really front 5 since we're not talking about the ILBs) that look the part. We'll have to see where Chapman is, if we get to this season. But it sounds like Lotulelei can be Ngata-esque where he can play DE or NT. If Chapman works out and we put Lotulelei next to him this defense will be so much better.

Edit: We've signed G Trai Essex. He was with the Steelers for quite some time. Not overly optimistic, but he almost can't be worse than what we got.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 09-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Colts sign OLs Bradley Sowell and Trai Essex.

They might not be great, but could still be upgrades.

Gotta give Grigson credit, unlike BP, he isn't willing to just sit and wait.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I like trying to make moves and improve. I am not so sure these will be upgrades. If anything I'd expect Essex would stick. Hopefully better than Olsen or McGlynn.

i done stole dis sig