Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Has anyone attended grad school or is planning on applying?

I'm thinking of applying to the University of Connecticut for a master's degree in Education but I have no idea what to expect. Has anyone been researching grad schools, or attended one?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I'm thinking of applying to the University of Connecticut for a master's degree in Education but I have no idea what to expect. Has anyone been researching grad schools, or attended one?
I am about to graduate with my Master's in Agricultural Economics once I finish my thesis and have the defense. The only thing that sucks is that I could potentially be done in a few weeks but would have to wait until the end of the semester to get my diploma. For me, undergrad was easy but they take things a lot more seriously in grad school.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I finished my MBA in May. It was pretty much 2 extra years of undergrad.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm about to start a 20 month intensive curriculum Master's program from the University of Arkansas for my Master's in Educational Leadership. What area of education are you going for? Most states don't allow you to qualify for an administrative position with just a Master's in Education. They are making it mandatory that it be in Leadership or Supervision.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I finished my MBA in May. It was pretty much 2 extra years of undergrad.
I was thinking of pursuing an MBA. It'd give me a pay raise, and the chance to bail on education if I ever feel the need.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I was thinking of pursuing an MBA. It'd give me a pay raise, and the chance to bail on education if I ever feel the need.
Better check into that as well. Many states only increase teacher pay with a Master's degree if the Master's is in an education related field. Say you were to teach business, in the past they would pay you for having the MBA, but many states are squirming their way out of that as a way to cut pay-roll costs. Send a flying F-U to my state's new State Superintendent and his damn Ameri-Corps teachers.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM    (permalink
Ron
Rookie

Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im gonna be applying to Law School in October.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not in grad school, yet. But it's on the horizon. I anticipate it shattering everything I ever loved about college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Im gonna be applying to Law School in October.
Looking to prosecute those who get in too many bad moods?
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I graduated with my MBA about two years ago. It was pretty easy (probably easier than undergrad). I can't speak for how difficult a Masters in Education would be though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I'm not in grad school, yet. But it's on the horizon. I anticipate it shattering everything I ever loved about college.

Looking to prosecute those who get in too many bad moods?
I'm nearly a qualified lawyer. If any of you set foot in Australia without my permission, expect to be prosecuted.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I'm nearly a qualified lawyer. If any of you set foot in Australia without my permission, expect to be prosecuted.
Are you going to push for a booting? Damn Australian heathens.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Are you going to push for a booting? Damn Australian heathens.
Little known fact, when Australia was deciding what flag it should have, it was between the current one and the one below.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I'm about to start a 20 month intensive curriculum Master's program from the University of Arkansas for my Master's in Educational Leadership. What area of education are you going for? Most states don't allow you to qualify for an administrative position with just a Master's in Education. They are making it mandatory that it be in Leadership or Supervision.
This is the exact program I was thinking of applying to:

http://www.education.uconn.edu/depar...ered/TCPCG.cfm

However, I still need to take the Praxis II and have yet to graduate (December), so I'm not sure I'll make the deadline this year. I'm not sure if I ever want to become a principal or anything like that.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for those of you who went to grad school or are in it now, did you guys enroll right after undergrad or did you take time off and work?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
for those of you who went to grad school or are in it now, did you guys enroll right after undergrad or did you take time off and work?
I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. I kind of get the feeling that waiting too long makes it hard to finish your education later though. Keep in mind that you're going to need recommendations, etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. I kind of get the feeling that waiting too long makes it hard to finish your education later though. Keep in mind that you're going to need recommendations, etc.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have started grad school right after I finished my under-grad. I know in the education field, however, people who do this and think they are going to jump through the ranks quickly often find themselves misinformed. I could tell several funny anecdotes about my experience with this. Alas, if you are going to do it, go for it; get your masters ASAP. Be prepared to do crappy duty your first year like the rest of the first year teachers though.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
I graduated from college December 2008. At that time, I was in the beginning process of applying for a job where the first year would be strictly me getting my MBA and the job started in July 2009. I interviewed in April, but as a fallback plan, I applied for a fastrack MBA program at UCF which would have started in May 2009. On the day I started the program, I got a call saying I got the job for which I interviewed, so I dropped out of the UCF program and went with the program where my MBA was paid for and I got paid $38K to go to school for a year.

tl/dr I started my Master's six months after graduating with my bachelors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I'll be landing in Sydney on september 16th. I'm expecting a chauffeur and hot surfer chicks to greet me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I start my Masters in...2 weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a college prof, but I'm not sure I can really answer anything about a masters program in education.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea to complete all of your education in your 20s. Your earning power isn't going to be that great anyway, so it's best to use those years to build up your resume.

That said, I think it's often advisable to wait a few years after high school to go to college, if only because so many people go to college because they feel like they have to, and then they **** around too much because they don't really have the desire to learn anything.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Better check into that as well. Many states only increase teacher pay with a Master's degree if the Master's is in an education related field. Say you were to teach business, in the past they would pay you for having the MBA, but many states are squirming their way out of that as a way to cut pay-roll costs. Send a flying F-U to my state's new State Superintendent and his damn Ameri-Corps teachers.
Listen to this man. Many districts are restricting what graduate level classes/degrees will equal movement on the pay scale. At the same time, state legislatures (at least in MN) are trying hard to make it easier for someone to get a teaching position with a minimal background in education.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, I haven't done anything about it yet. I think I am still up in the air about teaching, to be honest. Love my job, but part of me would like to try something else. If I do stay in teaching, I'll just end up doing one of the Education master's programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Listen to this man. Many districts are restricting what graduate level classes/degrees will equal movement on the pay scale. At the same time, state legislatures (at least in MN) are trying hard to make it easier for someone to get a teaching position with a minimal background in education.
I am aware of that. An MBA would, I think, allow me to change to a "normal" job a hell of a lot easier than a BA in English.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm starting some grad school courses in education this year (my senior year) part of a 5 year masters education program
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I did my MBA right after undergrad. Only did it because it was free though. No way would I have paid.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I'm a college prof, but I'm not sure I can really answer anything about a masters program in education.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea to complete all of your education in your 20s. Your earning power isn't going to be that great anyway, so it's best to use those years to build up your resume.

That said, I think it's often advisable to wait a few years after high school to go to college, if only because so many people go to college because they feel like they have to, and then they **** around too much because they don't really have the desire to learn anything.
How is being a college prof? I came out of college (a year ago) thinking that was likely what I wanted to do, but decided I'd try working outside of academia first to see if I'd like it at all since it would kind of be hard to backtrack. At this point nothing's really changed since I don't like my job at all and I still think I'd like to be a professor, but I'm also somewhat intimidated by the thought of going after a Ph.D.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote