Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The comparison was meant mostly as pro prospects, not SB champ Brees the future HOFer. In that case the only thing Brees and Wilson currently have in common is height.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But even if we assume that they're comparable prospects, although I tend fall in line with the people that say Drew Brees was a better prospect with a superior understanding of quarterbacking, Drew Brees struggled hugely until he became absolutely elite in the accuracy and thinking departments. So unless Wilson similarly becomes one of the absolute best in the NFL at those two things, he'll look a lot more like pre-Rivers Brees than SB winner Drew Brees, and banking on any day two QB to become one of the most accurate and smartest QBs in the NFL is a huge long shot that's just not likely to happen. It could, but even if it does it won't have made it likely.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I was saying is that Brees and Wilson to me were/are similar pro prospects who were underrated because of their height.

I never saw Brees play in the preseason, but IMO Russell Wilson has looked better than either RGIII and Andrew Luck so far.
We have years to go in order to see how good a pro QB Russell Wilson actually is, but up to this point he's aced every test put in front of him as a young pro.

I think Wilson was a better pick than Weeden BTW.
Wilson also is a cerebral QB and understands how to prepare himself to play, that's why I don't agree with the opinion that Brees was somehow a more analytical signal caller who had a superior conceptual understanding of the position.

I used to think RGIII, Luck or Trent Richardson were the safe picks for OROTY.
Now, I think RB David Wilson and Russell Wilson are smart choices to take home the award.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Like I said during draft time.. If Wilson was 3-4 inches taller he'd be a top 5 pick. The Seahawks stole him in the 3rd round and I knew if given the chance he'd win the QB competition. I'm so happy for him and I hope he proves to be a top caliber QB in this league.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hoo, Wooooooo.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some great go-back reading material from some of you guys, wow. Thanks for that.

This was a very interesting article from a month or so after gpngc last post here:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2...th-matt-flynn/

Poll: Should Seahawks continue with Russell Wilson or with Matt Flynn?

So we ask you, readers, what you think of Seattle’s quarterback situation now that we’re a quarter of the way through the regular season.

Should the Seahawks stick with Russell Wilson?
  1. Yes! Wilson is the better quarterback and should continue to get the nod.
  2. Yes, but if he underperforms one more time, the Seahawks should rethink that strategy.
  3. I don't know. Neither of them is particularly great.
  4. No, though I'm not entirely sold on Flynn. I'm nervous about the Seahawks now.
  5. No! It's time to bring in Flynn and see what he can do.
  6. Matt Flynn should have been the starter to begin with.

Matt Flynn should have been the starter to begin with. (33%, 1,917 Votes)

No! It's time to bring in Flynn and see what he can do. (27%, 1,577 Votes)

Yes! Wilson is the better quarterback and should continue to get the nod. (16%, 930 Votes)

Yes, but if he underperforms one more time, the Seahawks should rethink that strategy. (16%, 927 Votes)

No, though I'm not entirely sold on Flynn. I'm nervous about the Seahawks now. (5%, 316 Votes)

I don't know. Neither of them is particularly great. (3%, 150 Votes)

Total Voters: 5,817
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is the next ancient and pointless thread to get bumped? My money is on "Jim Druckenmiller will NEVER replace Steve Young."
the_legend_killer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_legend_killer View Post
What is the next ancient and pointless thread to get bumped? My money is on "Jim Druckenmiller will NEVER replace Steve Young."
Is Druckenmiller back now, starting and leading his team to the best record in the NFC?

I don't think so.

This thread shows how impatient WE fans can be sometime. Look at that poll result from the Seattle paper. By far, more of their fans wanted Flynn in there instead of RWilly.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_legend_killer View Post
I'm thinking about bumping Acheten's prediction thread naming the San Diego Chargers the next Superbowl champs, but I figured I should wait until they're statistically eliminated from playoff contention.

Last edited by Crickett : 11-14-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Is Druckenmiller back now, starting and leading his team to the best record in the NFC?

I don't think so.

This thread shows how impatient WE fans can be sometime. Look at that poll result from the Seattle paper. By far, more of their fans wanted Flynn in there instead of RWilly.
Sports fans are impatient? Who knew?
the_legend_killer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't think so.

Let's see, free agent QB who in his last game threw for 6TDs and a bunch of yards over a 3rd round rookie QB who had concerns over his height? Imagine the fans thinking that!!

But I seem to recall Packers fans saying that Aaron Rodgers should be traded years back when he hadn't played and some thought he could be a distraction to Favre.

If only fan sentiments meant a damn to NFL decision makers!!!

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
it's a poll from a newspaper. who gives a ****. it's not representative of anything.
You **** *** *****.
IT IS REPRESENTATIVE OF THAT NEWSPAPER SPORTS READERS, specifically the SEAHAWK fans.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell Wilson is a game manager y'all. Come at me.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Russell Wilson is a game manager y'all. Come at me.
Hey, that's Alex Smith too.
Pretty good records for both bus drivers there......

What is Matt Ryan and Big Ben, I ask the people.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hey, that's Alex Smith too.
Pretty good records for both bus drivers there......

What is Matt Ryan and Big Ben, I ask the people.
According to my unnecessarily harsh QB list, Ben Roethlisberger is mediocre and Matt Ryan sucks and should be fired for incompetence.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Wilson is good but he also plays on one of the top-3 teams in the NFL and plays alongside the best or second best defense, and has a great running back to hand off to.

Honestly, if the Seahawks had an average or below-average defense, Seattle would be a 6-10/7-9 team with Wilson as a starter.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wilson is good but he also plays on one of the top-3 teams in the NFL and plays alongside the best or second best defense, and has a great running back to hand off to.

Honestly, if the Seahawks had an average or below-average defense, Seattle would be a 6-10/7-9 team with Wilson as a starter.
LOL! So he's not any part of the reason Seattle is the NFC's best?
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You **** *** *****.
IT IS REPRESENTATIVE OF THAT NEWSPAPER SPORTS READERS, specifically the SEAHAWK fans.
But did you really need a poll to show you that clueless morons think ignorant dumbshit things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Great point. It is known.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Breaking news: studies find that Super Bowls are usually won by teams with strong rosters.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

This kid is playing at another level right now. Wow.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
What if he wasn't too short?
Or Brees wasn't too short?

Those 2 midgets just might be meeting in the NFC Championship game.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Another level than what?
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Another level than what?
I think a different level than he was at before, he must mean :o)

Because Manning has been on a level of his own, never seen before really.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Another level than what?
His accuracy has been ridiculous. Way better than I ever thought it could be. He beats the blitz with ease. His deep ball has been insane. He refuses to make mistakes. His numbers are ridiculous for a 2nd-year player. He has 8.6 YPA and a 19/6 TD/INT so far. He's done most of it with starters along the line missing in almost every game. And his consistency is just remarkable. Unflappable. The list goes on.

He's 45/16 TD/INT in his first year and a half +. That's incredible especially considering how many TDs they score in the running game.

His record is 21-6 as a starter. That's just insane.

And this year the team has become his. Sure the running game is good but the offense is totally Russell-centric. In fact it's usually been the passing game scoring first and the running game playing with the lead. He's undoubtedly more important to the offense than Lynch right now. That's not even a question.

No one I've seen compares to Peyton Manning except the Brady year with Moss. And Brees has a very special thing going with Sean Payton.

But after those guys I don't think any QB is playing even close to Wilson's level (unless Foles keeps this up for more than he has - and even he had 4 amazing games and one absolute dud).

Literally EVERY aspect of his game is at the elite level right now minus two weaknesses.

1) His height does influence his vision on 5 and 7 step drops, especially from under center when he's looking over the middle. I don't think he sees the short and intermediate levels of the middle of the field that well due to his height.

2) His size makes him easier to take down and prone to fumbles when he's hit hard by larger defenders. He does a good job of protecting the ball as a runner and he does have that innate ability to feel the pass rush, but when a defender gets a clean shot on him in the pocket and he doesn't duck under and give himself up in time, he gets engulfed and moved so far and hard because he's so small that he loses control of the ball easier than a 6'4 230-pound guy would.