Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default A Mike & Mike for the ages

Mike Greenberg spent at least five minutes comparing Matt Ryan to Peyton Manning.

He went through their respective stats and playoff records through age 27. I can't go into detail in how lovingly he was talking about Ryan.

If you missed it try to hear the podcast. A sports journalism masterpiece not to be missed.

Wait, now he's making Michael Jordan comparisons?

Vince Young is a former nfl superstar?

Last edited by Bert Macklin : 08-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe not super star but Vince Young was big time after his rookie year. Especially coming off the Texas-USC game which was one of the better football games I can remember watching.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was he kissing the mic as he talked? That always creeped me out your lips don't have to be on the mic.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Maybe not super star but Vince Young was big time after his rookie year. Especially coming off the Texas-USC game which was one of the better football games I can remember watching.
That's still probably my favorite football game I've ever watched. What a night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember early in Vince Young's second NFL season, Florio argued that he was already the best QB in the NFL.

Good times.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I remember early in Vince Young's second NFL season, Florio argued that he was already the best QB in the NFL.

Good times.
LOL...gotta love all the mooks out there that somehow become expert football analysts yet are not held to any standard of accountability
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got that in the mail just before this happened.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310115001

Since then I always reference him as Mathew Icicle.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I think Greenie called that the greatest football game ever played (or one of them.)

But yeah, I was watching as he made the Ryan/Peyton comparison this morning before work. (It's all the more ESPN I watch other than live games.)

His points were completely legit and the supporting evidence was fantastic. Their similarities as guys who lack elite physical tools but are great cerebral QBs and genuinely intelligent human beings.

I'd offer a rebuttal on a few points, but it would be nowhere near as eloquent. Overall, he made a great case for the comparison and Falcon fans should hope he's right about this one.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll just say that as much heat as Ryan gets for not winning a playoff game yet, it took Manning up until his sixth season to finally get one. A lot of people forget that.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm beginning to think that many of these "analysts"/personalities engage in dialogue that is essentially scripted.

On NFL Network, Darren Sharper was asked who will be Defensive MVP and he emphatically declared a guy that should be "inducted into the HOF after only one season", "JJ Wyatt!" When the female on set instantly corrected him, saying "JJ Watt" he yelled back "No, JJ Wyatt!"

If you feel so strongly about a player, you'd think you'd know their name. I'm convinced it was written for him to argue for Watt, and he just didn't know who he was.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's always been scripted. Which is why on ESPN they ask analysts who they think will do this or that and at the exact moment they answer a clip is shown on television of the player that just popped into their mind. Obviously this is impossible.

I remember when the Steelers/49ers game had that blackout and Monday Night Football cut back to the studio with Berman, Carter, Johnson, and whoever else was there and they barely talked trying to pass the time until the game resumed. Obviously that was something done on the fly so you can't put too much blame on them. But yes those shows seem like they're scripted to a degree.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I think it's always been scripted. Which is why on ESPN they ask analysts who they think will do this or that and at the exact moment they answer a clip is shown on television of the player that just popped into their mind. Obviously this is impossible.

I remember when the Steelers/49ers game had that blackout and Monday Night Football cut back to the studio with Berman, Carter, Johnson, and whoever else was there and they barely talked trying to pass the time until the game resumed. Obviously that was something done on the fly so you can't put too much blame on them. But yes those shows seem like they're scripted to a degree.
No. Even if it's not scripted (I believe that it is for the most part,) they would still discuss what they're going to cover before the show so the graphics people can have it ready. It's what every other show anywhere ever does.

So if analyst A is choosing player A as his MVP pick, he'll let the production people know that before hand in a pre-show meeting or something so they can have the clips ready.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How does Peyton not have elite physical tools? 6'5 230 rocket arm.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
No. Even if it's not scripted (I believe that it is for the most part,) they would still discuss what they're going to cover before the show so the graphics people can have it ready. It's what every other show anywhere ever does.

So if analyst A is choosing player A as his MVP pick, he'll let the production people know that before hand in a pre-show meeting or something so they can have the clips ready.
Yes. What I meant was that it isn't a show that is done on the fly. They obviously tell the production crew what they're going to say before it's aired. That's what I meant by scripted. Not that they're literally reading from as script all the time, but that it's prepared. It's different than what they do on the radio where you can tell that they're obviously thinking and can do whatever they want with the time allotted for the program.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
How does Peyton not have elite physical tools? 6'5 230 rocket arm.
I hope you're being sarcastic, otherwise, we have a problem.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic, otherwise, we have a problem.
I want someone in this thread to tell me what QB has "elite physical tools".
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

I don't see how Peyton Manning doesn't have elite physical tools for his position and what he's paid to do. This is part of the reason why he was billed as the top pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peyton's arm is bigger than Ryan's. Always has been. Peyton has elite tools. He's tall, and has an NFL arm that can make every throw. That's elite tools.

The comparison has been a joke from day 1.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But he doesn't run fast.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone think, if Matt Ryan becomes a free agent in 10 years, he'll have teams chasing/courting him and he'll get a $96M contract?

If I have a good defense, Matt Ryan doesn't worry me.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Matt Ryan is going to crush the NFL this year IMHO...
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I don't see how Peyton Manning doesn't have elite physical tools for his position and what he's paid to do. This is part of the reason why he was billed as the top pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.
Thank you sir
Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come on now, Leaf had the better physical tools that year. Peyton had better everything else

Ryan and Peyton arent that far off, especially in arm strength...in raw strength both are upper middle of the pack QBs, not cannons but not noodles either. Im kinda excited to see ryan in this offense with roddy and julio. I see the comparison though, thats why they were being compared when ryan was being drafted. Peyton was very reminiscent of peyton, and i think in a few years we'll be talking about how similar Eli Manning and Andrew Lucks abilities are and they drew an awful lot of comparisons over the last year
Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Greeny in a lot of what he said. I think this is Ryan's year to really step up a la Matthew Stafford of last year and the Falcons are my pick to go to the Super Bowl. I feel like Ryan has only improved each season and continues to improve each season. Is he Peyton? No, he won't be that good or successful, but I don't think he is as far away as a lot of people believe.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

It's always hard for me to pick a dome team to go to the Super Bowl unless they have homefield advantage through the post season. Those teams just seem to crumble on the road.

Quote: