Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Giants are upset bc the bucs caught them off guard. If they caused a fumble this would have been the highlight of te week. Now ts a cheap shot going for the ball? Get real coughlin and ESPN. It's not like this was a blowout. The game was within a score.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...under-schiano/

No one mention the fact that Schiano actually forced two fumbles doing that while at Rutgers.

And let's also not forget what happened to Rivers and the Chargers last year while trying to kill the clock late...

It's one of those situations where you really have nothing to lose. I've never understood why you don't just put a guy within diving distance of the center and have him try to guess the snap count. Worst case, he goes too soon and gets flagged for encroachment which, if you're about to lose anyway, really doesn't hurt you.

If Coughlin doesn't like it tough. He can go to his boss in John Mara, who is on the competition committee, and get him to push a rule change or something. Until then, no more bitching about "unwritten rules." It's one of the dumbest things in sports.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I looked up the play by play for those games and did not see a fumble so I don't know how accurate that report is. Also, apparently in the WV game the Rutgers D was offsides anyways.

The Giants players were mad they were going at their knees not that they played hard on the last play. Like I said though I see both sides and am not mad or upset with anyone here. They both said their peace so let's move on already. It's a shame this overshadowed Eli's perfect 4th Quarter and the ridiculous totals Nicks and Cruz put up.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Giantsfan1080 : 09-18-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli is used to being overshadowed. He probably prefers it at this point.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Eli is used to being overshadowed. He probably prefers it at this point.
Well this is true. At the stadium Sunday we had no doubt we were going to come back and win the game because of Eli. It's incredible how good he is in these situations especially when he looks so lackluster leading up to them. I also think everyone can shut up about Cruz and his "lack of preparation" in the offseason. He was the same exact player from last year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, does last night's game still feel incredibly bizarre to anyone else?

We had the Falcons shutting down and confounding Peyton Manning. These are the same Falcons who, for the past two years, look like they only field 7 men on defense against the league's elite offenses.

And Peyton's struggles...it would have been one thing if his velocity was going out on him or something, but good god he made some terrible decisions.

I don't even know what to make of that game.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I looked up the play by play for those games and did not see a fumble so I don't know how accurate that report is. Also, apparently in the WV game the Rutgers D was offsides anyways.

The Giants players were mad they were going at their knees not that they played hard on the last play. Like I said though I see both sides and am not mad or upset with anyone here. They both said their peace so let's move on already. It's a shame this overshadowed Eli's perfect 4th Quarter and the ridiculous totals Nicks and Cruz put up.
those fumbles literally never happened. I vividly remember the WVU game, but they were offsides. I'm not sure where people are getting these reports from. And even if these fumbles DID happen, Rutgers sure as hell never recovered them.

I love this whole "Offguard" thing. Yep, caught us so offguard that it worked... that's the silliest one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

We had the Falcons shutting down and confounding Peyton Manning. These are the same Falcons who, for the past two years, look like they only field 7 men on defense against the league's elite offenses.

And Peyton's struggles...it would have been one thing if his velocity was going out on him or something, but good god he made some terrible decisions.

the NFC West is looking good.

Houston's going to cakewalk through their division

times are a changin' in the NFL
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well this is true. At the stadium Sunday we had no doubt we were going to come back and win the game because of Eli. It's incredible how good he is in these situations especially when he looks so lackluster leading up to them. I also think everyone can shut up about Cruz and his "lack of preparation" in the offseason. He was the same exact player from last year.
I'm honestly shocked when Eli DOESN'T pull off the 4th quarter comeback. Like that game vs SF last year in the regular season, as we were marching down the field I was like oh we got this, game over, Eli is winning the game here. When we didn't pull it off I was shocked. I've gotten so used to it that it's surprising when he doesn't pull it off. Had he gotten the ball back vs Dallas last week I'm sure he wouldve tied the game.

He might have surpassed Brady as the most clutch qb in the league. Him, Roethlisberger and Brady are the clear top 3 clutch qbs in the league.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 09-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peyton has always had games like this though where he gets stuck on forcing the ball. He thinks he is smarter and better than everyone else, and he usually is. But sometimes even he is wrong and the margins he operates on are often very small. So his mistakes are often costly. That's why you see games like the 6 INT game vs. SD, or that string of games in 2010 where he doubled his INT total in like 3 or 4 games late in the season. For all of Dungy's faults he was a calming presence in Manning's game and really helped him with his tendency to press too much.

I don't think Manning knows what to do yet on a team that is balanced. Though granted the Denver D vs. the Falcons did kind of remind me of classic Colts defenses, in a bad way. Nice zone, Del Rio! I will miss that joker coaching in the Colts' division.

I wonder if Skip Bayless will change his mind again this week and say that letting Manning go was proven to be the right choice because of this game.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The NFL is changing, my friend. The old guard is falling away, we're starting to see the cracks in the Steelers and Patriots and Peyton Manning's of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
brilliant reporting, pft. so we're back to diving at player's knees to try to force a fumble that has happened once in anyone's living memory? cool.
The funny thing about calling Coughlin out about being upset...even the Bucs PLAYERS were upset that Schianno made them do it.

What does that tell you?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting fact, bird teams are 8-2 right now

Eagles: 2-0
Cardinals: 2-0
Falcons: 2-0
Seahawks: 1-1
Ravens: 1-1

And those two losses? Against other bird teams (Eagles over Ravens and Cardinals over Seahawks).
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Good year to be a bird team I guess.

So we have the "old school" football teams running and playing defense to victories (49ers and Texans) and the bird teams doing well this year.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Good year to be a bird team I guess.

So we have the "old school" football teams running and playing defense to victories (49ers and Texans) and the bird teams doing well this year.
NFLDC is the only place you can get insight like that!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Turner celebrated a week two win a little too much and got a DUI:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...2649--nfl.html
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely should have been celebrating that 2.5 yards per carry
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Michael Turner celebrated a week two win a little too much and got a DUI:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...2649--nfl.html
charged with speeding to? I call BS on that. Turner has no speed, not even in a vehicle
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a few thoughts Iíve had through the first two weeks.

1.) The Niners have shown that last season wasnít a fluke. So far, I donít know if thereís another team in their class. Itís throwback football and itís exciting to see again. The detail that Harbaugh devotes the ground game is impressive. He utilizes a creative jumbo package and he leans on it more than the rest of the league. Then he runs a wider package of runs than most. This isnít just a straightforward, vanilla scheme. Thereís some sleight of hand behind their raw brawn, too. That line is an absolute grind line. With all of those components, San Francisco has a complete offense.

And Alex Smith is a part of that equation when it comes to completeness. Itís time to admit it. He manages the offense, and heís still somewhat insulated within it, but he isnít just a caretaker. Being a game manager is a great, requisite quarterbacking trait. It shouldnít hold the negative connotations that it does. To me, thereís a difference between being a caretaker and being a game manager. Smith has elevated himself above the former and established himself as the latter. I wouldnít put him among the top twelve quarterbacks, but he belongs in that next tier. Thereís nothing separating him from Joe Flacco or Matt Schaub other than obstinance. Jim Harbaugh has done a fantastic job of molding him into a rock-solid quarterback option for the Niners. I was a big-time Harbaugh believer at Stanford, but I thought he was wasting his time with an Alex Smith reclamation project. Canít argue with his results though. San Francisco has won a lot of games with Smith under center and appears to be in a position to win a lot more.

What separates the Niners though is their defense. It just might be the best unit Ė offense or defense or specials Ė in the NFL. Itís that exceptional. Aggressive, disciplined, tenacious, and teeming with difference-makers at all three levels. Thatís a lethal combination. Justin Smith is one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL and a true protection-slider. Aldon Smith has paired incredible tools with incredible production. Heís a destructive force. The freakish wingspan is one thing, but his unheralded strength is another. He generates push past the initial pop and possesses powerful, violent hands. Having both of those traits is quite rare. Most pass-rushers with long arms lack core strength and must compensate with sound technique. Aldon blends both. Whether heís engaged or attacking from a position of space, heís got something he can use to his advantage. This kid has Hall of Fame-caliber tools.

Behind them, Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman are the best inside linebackers in the NFL. Not just the best pair. The best individual talents. Both wreak havoc as one-on-one box defenders, terrorize with sideline-to-sideline range, and then happen to be coverage aces in sub-packages, too. Itís a huge part of the engine that drives this team in those situations. With the proliferation of two-tight end sets and dangerous third-down backs, most teams have to adjust their scheme to dedicate more personnel to the middle of the field. The Niners are better equipped to handle those situations because of their duo. Even against standard three- or four-receiver sets, the zone depth that Willis and Bowman create is far greater than other linebacker corps. All defenses want to defend inside-out. Willis and Bowman enable the Niners to do that. When Bowmanís contract expires, Trent Baalke would be wise to wrap him up long-term with Willis. It commits a larger portion of the cap to the position, but their impact justifies that kind of calculated commitment.

On the outside, Carlos Rodgers is a solid cover corner and the groupís most recognizable name. But the man that jumps out from that back four is Dashon Goldson. Heís emerged as one of the top-notch safeties in the NFL. His instinct package is rare. He recognizes routes on the backend, takes smart angles to the action, and gives the Niners an additional asset in run support without having to dedicate him closer to the box. On the whole, this defense is a strong tackling unit. It might seem fundamental, but sometimes the simple things make all of the difference.

2.) The Saints should be slamming the panic button. And itís because of those simple things. Unlike the Niners, the Saints are doing all of the simple things wrong. Missed opportunities. Poor tackling. Blown coverage assignments. In general, this is a football team that is just not executing on the defensive side of the ball and their margin for error is getting slimmer and slimmer. Right now, itís that simple.

I was high on the Saints in the preseason. So far, the offense is what I expected it to be. Itís third in total offense and sixth in points scored. Showing some signs of struggle, but prolific enough to keep them afloat. I didnít expect the defense to be this porous though. I expected the defense would be transformed under Steve Spagnuoloís tutelage. Be more disciplined and less reckless. Through two games, that hasnít happened.

The main difference between Spagnuoloís previous units and the Saints has been pressure. New Orleans hasnít applied much pressure. The reasons for that are two-fold. One, the defensive line isnít as deep as it was with the Giants. With New York, Spagnuolo had the benefit of premier pass-rushers that he doesnít have with New Orleans. So pressure needs to be created through other methods. Two, heís had to scheme against RGIII and Cam Newton. Defenses strive for more responsible gap orientation against unorthodox quarterbacks. So he canít cook up much heat from the second level.

Against pocket passers, he can be more creative. Since Spagnuolo doesnít have the edge rushers he had in New York, I thought we would see slight variations along the line that got the interior slanting and attacking more. Thatís where their best pocket-pushers are. So I think it will be interesting to see what the line does this week. I would expect more split-six and wide-nine techniques. And, as said, more blitzing. The Saints have Matt Cassel coming up. Itís time to feast or famine. This is as close to a must-win in Week 3 as it gets.

(As an aside, I think the whole suspension ordeal resurfaced at an inopportune time. The distraction to the group isnít worth the performance that Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma bring to the football team. Smith is a good member of a rotation. Vilma is replaceable. The lifted suspensions werenít a good thing.)

3.) Bill Belichick is choosing the wrong place to make a point. Belichick has been a wild success in New England. Heís gotten a lot out of a little before. But heís flirting with a toxic situation in man management. Given how events unfolded this summer, and his reluctance to reward an older receiver with a lucrative contract, heís attempting to prove that Wes Welker is expendable. And itís handicapping him from putting the best team on the field.

New England was in a two-tight end, two-receiver, one-back formation for fifteen snaps in the first half against Arizona. Of those fifteen snaps, Brandon Lloyd was a part of all fifteen. In contrast, Welker was in just two of those. Julian Edelman got more run in those formations than Wes Welker. From a football perspective, that doesnít make sense. Thereís nothing Edelman brings to an offense that Welker doesnít in spades.

As head coach, Belichick is responsible for protecting the interests of the New England Patriots. Arrogance doesnít protect the Logo. Vindictiveness doesnít protect the Logo. What protects the Logo is winning. Welker helps that team win games. With Hernandez going down with a high-ankle sprain, the Patriots canít afford to marginalize Welker.

4.) The Cutler Referendum. Cutler is a tough one to peg for me. In terms of quarterbacking, I think heís on the cusp of the top ten. He has impressive arm talent, improvisational athleticism, and compensates for his teamís deficiencies. Letís face facts. A lot of good quarterbacks would be slaughtered behind that mess of an offensive line. The line doesnít have to give their quarterback a perfect pocket all of the time. Thatís a misnomer. But it has to be at least competent and passable. And Chicagoís is neither. The game against the Packers was one of the sloppiest performances Iíve seen from an NFL protection unit. With regard to technique, that line is operating at a collegiate level. Against NFL execution, thatís disastrous. These are correctable errors that, for whatever reason, arenít being corrected. If JíMarcus Webb canít master fundamental techniques, then he canít be a starting left tackle in the league. Itís just that simple. Sticking with him for going on three seasons is inexcusable. (For what itís worth, Iíd guess Webb is a personable, hard-worker that coaches admire and want to see succeed, but when development stalls and his performance becomes detrimental to the football team, an upgrade needs to be made and Webb demoted to a second-teamer at least.)

I know Cutler is a quarterback that can mask talent deficiencies better than most. What I donít know is if Cutler is a quarterback that can ever elevate himself into that elite class. Even if heís spotted with a superior supporting cast. Cutler has some spontaneous genius to him. He can survive a brutal battering and then stand in there and stick a throw through a small window and drop jaws. It seems that genius comes at a cost though. I donít see that success within structure. And thereís a definitive difference.

The Packers had a simplistic approach to attacking the Bears. Most of the night, it was two-man under looks with the safeties rolled over Marshall. Yet, on intermediate-to-deep patterns, Cutler bird-dogged Marshall. He never looked off the safeties or adapted to the change in coverages. He just stared down the barrel of the gun and slung it. When it was clear that Brandon Marshall wasnít going to inflict much damage on the Packers, Cutler never adapted. Never went to his Bís, Cís, and Dís. Test some of their questionable depth more.

As for the mechanics, it does affect how accurate he can be. With so much changing in his throwing motion from his feet-to-hand from snap-to-snap, Cutler canít be a precision passer. Heís too inconsistent. And this is how itís been since Vanderbilt for Cutler. Heís lived off his arm talent and believing he can fit the ball through the tightest of windows. At this stage of his career, itís tough to erase that mindset and ingrain a more cautious approach in him. He is what he is.

Do I think he could be a better leader? Yup. He could be more accountable for his own mistakes and shortcomings. But, when it comes down to it, thereís one question that Bears management needs to ask themselves. Can we upgrade Cutler? As I said before, I think Cutlerís on the cusp of the top ten. Even with his faults. Those kinds of quarterbacks donít hit the open market often. And, given the composition of the current roster and Cutlerís abilities to compensate for them, I donít think Chicago can replace him with ease. This is an organization that squandered seasons because of poor quarterbacks in the recent past. Is it time to sift through the scrap heap again? Unless that whole locker room just will not get up for him, I wouldnít be so quick to jettison him out of town.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Bets for what was higher: Turner's BAC or his YPC
Quote:
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

You pretty much hit every point I could possibly make on Cutler. You nailed his positives and negative exactly.

Cutler is easily the most talented QB the Bears have quite possibly ever had. And Marshall is quite possibly the most talented receiver. But he has been both a blessing and a curse in the two games so far. A blessing because, as I said, he blows every other Bears receiver out of the water when it comes to pure talent and that shows through. But he's also been a curse because, instead of Cutler going to secondary targets when Marshall draws the coverage away, he still tries to force things into Marshall.

Also, that Packers game was just one of a bevy of horrible performances by the o-line in the last 3 years. I've never seen someone as consistently terrible as J'Marcus Webb get so many chances. I'm praying that the Bears just pull him for Chris Williams...it would be next to impossible for Williams to be any worse than Webb.

Instead, we've seen Chris Spencer benched for Chilo Rachal this week. Spencer wasn't playing well but he was far from the biggest problem on that line. I didn't see him letting Clay Matthews right through untouched multiple times...

Long story short, in order for the Bears to get the offense clicking again, they need Cutler to look at targets other than Marshall and they need to something with his protection.

On that latter point, in the past two seasons, it was after the bye week that the Bears rallied a bit to get the o-line playing functionally. At no point was it ever good or even average, but there were no more games like the Giants of two years ago or the Saints of last year.

I'm hoping the Bears staff was able to treat this long break since last Thursday until this Sunday as a mini-bye week of sorts and can get that same kind of effect moving forward with the o-line.

Also, lost in all this, is how well the Bears defense has played. Questions of age and depth were abundant, but they held the Packers offense to one touchdown and had a couple of good red zone stops. That game wasn't out of hand until very late despite the struggles of the offense.

I'm not ready to panic yet, and there is reason for optimism still, but the Bears need to fix a few problems in order to be anything more than a .500 team this year.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5 Week 2 Takeaways/Comments/Things I felt like talking about:

1. The replacement refs have to go, but not for the reasons most think. I can live with blown calls, missed calls, bad spots, longer games while they get it right, etc. I love that defenses aren't really handcuffed as much as the refs are leaning more towards letting the players play. I love that offensive pass interference is actually being called (I kinda forgot that penalty even existed considering the real refs never call it). All that being said, the replacement refs need to go for two reasons. First, every announcer in every game is ramming the replacement refs down our throats. Around the office, I constantly hear the casual fans bitching about how the refs blew the game for their team if they lost. On the radio and all over the social network, the replacement refs have become a massive story and its becoming a major black eye for the NFL. The second reason is that the replacement refs get zero respect from the players or coaches. I've struggled to really get invested in some of these games because they are turning into thug football. The NFL is trying to maintain an image of being a high-character organization, suspending players that get into trouble with the law and trying to lose the thug appearance. These replacement refs aren't doing them any favors. Just about every game I've watched has a very large increase in after-the-whistle scrums. Players are jawing and fighting a lot more and the refs are doing nothing about it. I've seen multiple punches land (grounds for immediate ejection) and refs just turn their backs, not even throwing the flag. For me, its only a matter of time before we see a full-on brawl on the field in the coming weeks if the real refs aren't brought back.

2. No major issues with the Schiano call. I haven't expressed my opinions on the Shiano-Coughlin, Bucs-Giants thing yet so here it is. I've seen defenses do exactly what the Bucs did before but, more importantly, I've seen the offense runs plays out of the victory formation before. Nobody gets all high and mighty when that happens because the defense is supposed to get hit by the offense and if a defender gets surprised by a hit below the waist, it's no big deal because "football is football" and "injuries happen." Its a legal play and the Bucs did nothing wrong. Did it work? No. Does it have a history of working? No. But neither does kicking 62 yard field goals, or running trick plays that get players hurt, but that doesn't stop coaches from calling them. I understand why people didn't like it and people can say it was "cheap" but it doesn't bother me one bit. Its football, you play to the whistle.

3. Parity, parity, parity. 6 teams at 2-0, 6 teams at 0-2, 20 teams at 1-1. We've seen teams look amazing in week 1 that fell flat on their faces in week 2 (Dallas and Jets come to mind), we've seen teams that looks god-awful week one that came out with big games week 2 (Buffalo and Miami come to mind here). We've seen two teams dominate their opponents that look to be the class of their leagues (Houston and San Francisco), we've seen teams get dominated both weeks (KC and Tennessee) and everything in-between. Its only two weeks so there is still, obviously, a lot more to play out but at this point in time, it certainly looks like there is a very small number of "Elite" teams, a few teams that look like they are in for a very lonnnng season, and a ton of teams in the middle that, depending how a few things fall, could go either way. The second wild card in baseball is adding excitement to the last few weeks of the season, I expect the NFL to continue having similar excitement in the final few weeks of its season.

4. Rookie QBs perform better. Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, and Brandon Weeden all had underwhelming, at best, performances in week one. Luck had his ups and downs. RGIII had a great game. In week two, I think all five of them played much better. Tannehill, Wilson, and Luck led their teams to victories. Tannehill cut back his turnovers to zero and appears to have developed some chemistry with Brian Hartline, making some good throws to support Reggie Bush's huge game on the ground. Brandon Weeden looked like a completely different player, having an efficient game and also had no turnovers. Russell Wilson didn't have to do much in his game, as Seattle jumped out big and then he spent most of the game feeding Lynch, but he improved on his week 1 totals as well. Despite Washington losing, and RGIII having a mediocre game overall, he showed the ability to play through adversity and he showed that he can take some hits. One major concern I had with him was his ability to take an NFL punishment. The Rams had a few big hits on him but every time, he popped right up. He still needs to learn to take fewer hits but his first couple games are encouraging in that department. If nothing else, all these guys showed something this weekend that makes you go back and understand both why they were drafted highly, and why they are starting.

5. Fantasy Football has seriously taken over the football world. Reports coming out that a ref told LeSean McCoy he needs him on his fantasy team. Saw some people really angry about Ben Tate's two TD vultures. Ditto for Vonta Leach's TD run. Constantly seeing comments like "I hate that he scored against my favorite team, but that's fantasy points right there!!!" on twitter/facebook. I understand the love for fantasy football and everything but its painful to see fans more interested in their fantasy teams than their favorite team's success. That being said, there are a lot more casual fans these days and when they play in money leagues, these things are to be expected I suppose.

For Caddy:

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
He might have surpassed Brady as the most clutch qb in the league. Him, Roethlisberger and Brady are the clear top 3 clutch qbs in the league.
No love for the QB who was tied with Eli for most fourth quarter comebacks in the regular season last year?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

I just had a conversation with my dad last night regarding the replacement refs. I wouldn't even consider him a casual fan. He mostly watches it because my mom and I do and he likes to keep up a little bit. So he was definitely buying into the idea being shoved down our throats by every announcer about how freaking bad the replacements are.

And I told him that I don't expect the replacements to go anywhere anytime soon. Why? Because they're not costing the NFL viewers or money. The people who would normally watch football are still watching football, refs be damned. As long as the NFL doesn't lose any money over this, and so far there is no indication that they are, they won't cave into the demands of the real refs.

So expect the replacements for a good long time.

And on the fantasy front...it's disturbing how much that has taken over. I know so many people who would otherwise have nothing do with football that watch and follow strictly because of fantasy. It's crazy. Coworkers, wives and girlfriends of people I know....it's crazy. They might not be able to pick Matt Ryan out of a lineup but they sure as hell know how many points he scored last night.

And I think this is a bad thing for more hardcore fans like us. As the ranks of NFL fans swell with casual followers who play fantasy, we become a smaller and smaller part...The things we like to see (good defense, balance on offense, etc. etc.) will become less and less prevalent as the game evolves to satisfy these fans.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People around the league are only talking about Schianos victory formation call. Yet they fail to see how he turned this young group of young bucs from a 4-12 squad to a competitor nearly pulling off an upset on the defending champs on in their own building.

Kudos to Schiano. There's still a lot of work but he's done wonders so far with this team.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
it evolved a while ago. there's a reason you're generally not allowed to play defense.
Correct but surprisingly it still hasn't hit the saturation point.

Women also have become fans of the NFL because its the cool thing to do Sundays now. 5-7 years ago you would get yelled at by a girl for watching the games on Sunday but now they're almost 50% of a bar if you go out. The way the NFL markets itself is genius.

sig by BoneKrusher