Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if this will make sense to anyone, but I feel like Geno plays quarterback with a basketball player's mentality. He throws passes sort of like a point guard wants to throw an alley-oop. He's always watching for the right moment for a guy he expects to get open.
Caulibflower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
He has happy feet. I've written that about him since I started scouting him. His feet are always tip-tapping around the pocket. He's always shifting around, not just dropping back, hitting his stride and releasing. He's always locked in on a target, bouncing his feet, waiting for him to come open. He's got no sense of timing.

Yes. This is one of my chief concerns. He's never looked instinctive to me. He gets sacked when he has escape lanes. He'll run up against the offensive linemen in front of him. He hesitates to run when he should run, and sometimes his eyes come down and he starts running around when he's got time and he should be standing tall. Shades of Gabbert. I like him better than Gabbert, but I see some concerning similarities between them as prospects, mainly having to do with their pocket presence.

Oh, bull. "No viable third option" meaning "only two guys who are going to be gone by the third round in this year's draft?" Give me a break.
Correct, no viable third option. I'd give you a break but apparently you agree with me being that you only mentioned options one and two. Also, you probably should find out what the term "happy feet" means in the context of football. It's a QB who scrambles prematurely, not a QB who doesn't chose to stand flat footed in the pocket. By your definition, Peyton Manning has happy feet.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said it before although the concerns weren't voiced as loudly by others, but these critiques of Geno's game are nearly the exact same ones made against RGIII.

Doesn't go through his progressions, throws too many screens, can't anticipate throws, never had to read defenses. Simplistic offensive system, benefited from two stud WRs, etc.

After all the specific evaluations about Geno, I still see a guy who when he's ON, looks like a machine. Just unstoppable.

Re-watch the LSU game from 2011. Or Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

If your team needs a QB this draft, I don't know how you don't bring in Geno Smith and try to coach him up.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Correct, no viable third option. I'd give you a break but apparently you agree with me being that you only mentioned options one and two. Also, you probably should find out what the term "happy feet" means in the context of football. It's a QB who scrambles prematurely, not a QB who doesn't chose to stand flat footed in the pocket. By your definition, Peyton Manning has happy feet.
I actually remember Mel Kiper talking about Peyton having "happy feet."
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I actually remember Mel Kiper talking about Peyton having "happy feet."
I was going to say this, too. And having two of the top ten wideouts in college football to throw to means you don't have to have a third option, and he did anyways. J.D. Woods probably would've posted over 1000 yards if either Bailey or Austin had been gone.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 03-01-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was going to say this, too. And having two of the top ten wideouts in college football to throw to means you don't have to have a third option, and he did anyways. J.D. Woods probably would've posted over 1000 yards if either Bailey or Austin had been gone.
So Geno deserves no credit at all for those two becoming top 10 WRs in CFB?
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
So Geno deserves no credit at all for those two becoming top 10 WRs in CFB?
Basically, that's what he is saying. And don't forget, the third WR on the team was one of the best in college football, but Geno didn't have to throw to him, not even against better teams.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 03-01-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LOL, so then he actually had three of the top WRs in college football?? Who knew.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not sure if this will make sense to anyone, but I feel like Geno plays quarterback with a basketball player's mentality. He throws passes sort of like a point guard wants to throw an alley-oop. He's always watching for the right moment for a guy he expects to get open.
Your probably right because I don't see any sense in what you are saying. Throwing the ball with anticipation is what the best QBs in the NFL do, yet I know this was meant as a negative coming from you.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

_YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sports reporters in the bay area may say its a smoke screen but its a fact that Oakland does have a high level of interest in Geno. And it makes a lot of sense for the Raiders. Reggie isn't tied to Palmer or Pryor if Reggie wants to make this his team he will get his QB. Palmer is 33 and he is average. Pryor is young but the coaching staff doesn't seem to trust him when it comes down as a passer Pryor is really behind. Reggie in his short period of time here has shown that he will release anyone no matter the player and no matter the cap hit. Best thing for the Raiders is to release Palmer and draft Geno.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _YL_ View Post
Sports reporters in the bay area may say its a smoke screen but its a fact that Oakland does have a high level of interest in Geno. And it makes a lot of sense for the Raiders. Reggie isn't tied to Palmer or Pryor if Reggie wants to make this his team he will get his QB. Palmer is 33 and he is average. Pryor is young but the coaching staff doesn't seem to trust him when it comes down as a passer Pryor is really behind. Reggie in his short period of time here has shown that he will release anyone no matter the player and no matter the cap hit. Best thing for the Raiders is to release Palmer and draft Geno.
Not a Raiders QB, but I agree 100%. And, I actually like Geno as a prospect - not quite the mancrush I had on RGIII last year but I definitely think he can be a good QB in the league. The irony if OAK drafts Geno and he becomes a stud while the Chiefs wallop being average with Alex Smith.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Racist
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hilarious how people are saying that it makes sense for Geno to go #3 but it was ludicrous for him to go 2 spots higher.

People really have lost their minds.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I may be on the opposite side of some Raiders fans but I'd love to have Geno Smith on our team, I think he's gonna be pretty damn good. Maybe we could get a draft pick for Palmer as well, if Alex Smith gets a 2nd and 3rd we could atleast get a 3rd for Palmer.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Hilarious how people are saying that it makes sense for Geno to go #3 but it was ludicrous for him to go 2 spots higher.

Haha, I already told you how I feel about this whole situation on Twitter, vidae. Just silliness.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno View Post
I may be on the opposite side of some Raiders fans but I'd love to have Geno Smith on our team, I think he's gonna be pretty damn good. Maybe we could get a draft pick for Palmer as well, if Alex Smith gets a 2nd and 3rd we could atleast get a 3rd for Palmer.

No. No, you couldn't.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Hes supposed to love Ryan Mallett. :(
I really wish Mallett could be given the chance to start somewhere.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe Caulibflower has the right definition from my 55 years of watching pro football people talk about 'happy feet.'
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still worry about his ability to read and react instead of sticking to pre snap calls. We know he can make open throws, we learned nothing new from the combine.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I believe Caulibflower has the right definition from my 55 years of watching pro football people talk about 'happy feet.'
right - it's not about scrambling too early, it's literally about what the feet are doing while the quarterback isn't scrambling. When he's throwing while he does that, he's not setting his feet, which is poor form. I'm not the biggest Peyton Manning fan, either, (I acknowledge his greatness, but he is not the best quarterback of his era), and it's kind of a similar thing. Peyton can definitely make reads, but he expects to know which read to make. If he gets pressured and genuinely confused, which is pretty rare but tends to happen more often in the playoffs, you also see his play break down a little, and the happy feet are part of it. It's a sign of antsiness, of discomfort in the pocket. It's like a nervous tic, and it's a red flag.

With someone like Peyton, you obviously know that he can perform at a very high level and there's no question about whether he can diagnose defenses, but it's indicative that he's not at his best under pressure. With Geno, the ability to read defenses is one of the biggest question marks, and the happy feet complicate things a little bit because you wonder, if he's going to be having to learn a lot, if he'll have the composure to apply a bunch of new stuff on the go, while in game situations. Gabbert was a tap-dancer, too. He'd break out some Riverdance **** right in the middle of a 5-step drop. Just can't help himself. It's a nervous thing. (Not nervous as in "scared" but unconscious; habitual.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I still worry about his ability to read and react instead of sticking to pre snap calls. We know he can make open throws, we learned nothing new from the combine.
I question his speed. But not his footspeed.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Sounds like the same concern that was said about RGIII as a prospect too..

Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Happy feet is vacating the pocket prematurely.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I still think #3 is entirely too high.

Then again, I'm biased.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Happy feet is vacating the pocket prematurely.
"Happy feet" has nothing to do with scrambling.

God damn it.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would say yes, this is a concern, but I also wonder how much of that was due to having two receiving options on every play.
I don't follow.

God damn it.