Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
I was listening to the media defending Geno Smith and Nawrocki's credibility seems to be in trouble, but then former GM Charley Casserly (16 years in the NFL) also had negative things to say about Smith. Here is what Casserly said:

"I've been told he is a quiet individual and leadership may take a little time especially with a veteran player... As far as his work habits go, I'm told early in his career he did not work in the weight room as hard as he should, that he is improved now, but clearly when you look at his body it still needs development... As far as the learning ability goes, academically he was an underachiever, he struggled... I'm told leaning-system-wise it was a very simple system, that he should be able to learn an NFL system, but don't expect him to play right away..."

This draft will be fun. If Geno Smith becomes a top 8 pick, as expected, he will probably start right away. His QB coach said Smith is more ready for the NFL than Brandon Weeden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
He is a good qb but you can't deny that the system he plays in will lead to a high completion percentage.

Brian Billick on Geno Smith's leadership, says he has a casual demeanor and it is a legitimate concern, so more than one person saying something about his leadership, although I am not a fan of Billick
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...-casual-leader
I too question his style of leadership and those questions are nothing new. Nor is the fact that he came out of a QB friendly system. So did Kyle Boller, but he didn't fair nearly as well. But this whole deal about a lack of work ethic and comparisons to Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks has come out of left field and no one is corroborating these claims. It's a hit piece, period.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 04-03-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

geno will be on gruden's qb camp today (4/4) at 8:30 on espn

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
It's hard to put a negative spin on a 70% completion rate, but I see that hasn't stopped you from switching to his average yards of completion. Why don't you come out of the closet and say you hate the guy? You want to believe the bull crap report so bad. Oh, he writes for a magazine- that settles it! Any credibility this clown had just went out the door with this slanted report that no one else will confirm. Funny how you tried to spin that Mayock agreed with him. Mayock said his evaluation was incomplete and that any questions he had about Smith were football related, NOT CHARACTER RELATED. The bulk of the criticism the N guy rendered was character related. Mayock is a company man who is not going to call out some guy that no one ever heard of until yesterday. Calm down son, Smith WILL be the first QB pick taken, not Barkley or whoever the hell else you are rooting for.
Does this post really exist?

1) YPA is and has always been, in my eyes, and most evaluator's, a MUCH more useful stat than comp. %. Especially in today's game.

2) I do not hate Geno Smith. I have no reason to hate him. I'm just not very high on him as a prospect. That's it.

3) I attempted to transition the from the pointless arguments about Mayock/Narwoski to a discussion of the QB prospect Geno Smith. You are bringing them back up.

4) I am not discussing Matt Barkley in this thread. I foolishly posted a MB scouting report to argue against a claim I felt was mind-boggling-ly ridiculous. I should've just left it there.

5) I am not rooting for any QB to go ahead of Geno Smith or anywhere. At all. I don't really like Barkley's arm talent. If I had to pick one of these QBs I'd probably target Nassib in the 2nd-3rd area or Colby Cameron in the 5th-6th area.

6) I'm calm, and if I had to guess I'd guess Geno Smith is the first QB taken as well. We agree there.

Where Geno Smith is ultimately drafted has nothing to do with my evaluation of him as a prospect. It proves nothing other than an NFL team disagrees with me. I have never argued against someone saying he's going to be a high pick. I have just said that I wouldn't agree with that. It is however, ABSOLUTELY possible if not probable.

However, I have also warned of a draft-day fall as I have seen happen to talented, but flawed QBs all the time.

I also think the wage-scale dynamic changes much of it and the past two drafts have shown that QBs are bumped up. Is that enough to make a concrete declaration that "with the new wage scale, all QBs will be drafted higher because of less risk." Maybe. Or maybe it's just a small sample size of two years and the Titans, Jags, Dolphins, and Browns just really wanted those QBs. Because the flip side of it is the history of precipitous QB falls. Guys who were rated higher and thought to go as high as top 3 (or somewhere in the first) and "falling" way down. Rodgers. Quinn. Clausen. Leinart. Now those guys probably didn't fall as much as teams simply didn't like them as much as the media believed. I think there's a chance that may be the case with Smith.

So bullets for the many who don't want to read a lot:

- I wouldn't draft Smith in the top 10.
- He's probably gonna go top 10.
- But I believe there's still a chance the media is off and he drops to the teens or maybe late first.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol, top five? This thing is as clear as mud.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "there isn't any doubt about it" that West Virginia QB Geno Smith will be a top-five pick in the draft.
La Canfora adds that there's a great possibility Smith goes in the top three, and he specifically names the Jaguars at No. 2 overall. "Smith is, without a doubt, the top quarterback prospect in this draft," wrote La Canfora. "Period. No debate. ... He is the only sure-fire quarterback prospect in the top half of the first round." Although some around the league are calling the Jaguars' Geno interest a smokescreen, La Canfora believes the real smokescreen is their perceived "rallying" behind Blaine Gabbert. Despite Pro Football Weekly's scouting report, teams reportedly have zero concerns about Smith's character or work ethic.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol, top five? This thing is as clear as mud.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "there isn't any doubt about it" that West Virginia QB Geno Smith will be a top-five pick in the draft.
La Canfora adds that there's a great possibility Smith goes in the top three, and he specifically names the Jaguars at No. 2 overall. "Smith is, without a doubt, the top quarterback prospect in this draft," wrote La Canfora. "Period. No debate. ... He is the only sure-fire quarterback prospect in the top half of the first round." Although some around the league are calling the Jaguars' Geno interest a smokescreen, La Canfora believes the real smokescreen is their perceived "rallying" behind Blaine Gabbert. Despite Pro Football Weekly's scouting report, teams reportedly have zero concerns about Smith's character or work ethic.
So by your logic, La Canfora prefers black QBs.
JK, see what I did there though? It's just as ridiculous as what you and some others are saying about Nawricki's opinion.

Bottom line is that there are many different opinions on Geno Smith, as well as on Barkley, Nassib, as there were on Alex Smith & Aaron Rodgers, Cammy Newton, Tim Tebow, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. Remember even after 4 years in the NFL, the Miami Dolphins had Brees begging them for a gig, and those Dolphin geniuses instead said to Daunte Culpepper: "Here please take the keys to our franchise."..... hmm.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
So by your logic, La Canfora prefers black QBs.
JK, see what I did there though? It's just as ridiculous as what you and some others are saying about Nawricki's opinion.

Bottom line is that there are many different opinions on Geno Smith, as well as on Barkley, Nassib, as there were on Alex Smith & Aaron Rodgers, Cammy Newton, Tim Tebow, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. Remember even after 4 years in the NFL, the Miami Dolphins had Brees begging them for a gig, and those Dolphin geniuses instead said to Daunte Culpepper: "Here please take the keys to our franchise."..... hmm.
Nope, what you just did was childish and desperate. I just passed on some information on the topic and didn't express any opinion on it, so what are you talking about?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
billybeejr
Rookie

billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow some of you are either voluntarily ignorant or just stupid. 40 years ago Wilson, RG3 and Kaepernick and Cam are all WR or TE. All of them. NO SHOT at qb. For a long ass time blacks werent considered smart enough to play qb. Thats why people get offended. The only way u will get a big, justified outcry against something like this is when irrational claims against a man's work ethic and intelligence are made.

How the **** can a top 50 pick be a cross between a bust and a guy that throws backwards? Clearly he thinks the guy should go in the 5th round.

You dont just say things like 'he has a fake smile' or 'he cant inspire teammates' without people noticing.
billybeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...ed-in-top-five

Read the whole thing, it's pretty funny. It reads like someone here wrote it. Just a long-winded opinion with reasoning based on his assumptions and personal views about Smith.

Quote:
And, for the record, teams that have done their work on Smith have no concerns about character or work ethic. It's rather ludicrous in this situation
This is the only worthwhile nugget in the whole thing, and that's where Rotoworld drew their conclusion. But the truth is JLC knows what he knows and that's it. My only reason to doubt him is that he has a history of being wrong. And "teams that have done their work on Smith" could mean two teams...

Casserly and Narwocki's sources said otherwise.

Quote:
The Browns (6), Cardinals (7), Bills (8) and Jets (9) are both dealing with band-aid quarterbacks but don't have a long-term commitment to any passer. I'm sorry, people, that looks like a ton of demand and the most limited of supply -- one quarterback worthy of being taken in the top 10. Bluff or not, that's more than enough of a backdrop to make at least one team feel like it might have to trade up to guarantee it gets Smith.

How silly will all of these teams look if they pass on a chance to take him? It's just not happening.
This line of thinking "well they all need QBs so obviously ONE of them is bound to take him!" assumes that one of these teams actually wants to take Geno Smith in the top 10...

Quote:
Let's keep the following in mind:

Smith is, without a doubt, the top quarterback prospect in this draft. Period. No debate. Nothing he has done between his final college game and his pro day has changed that. He is the only sure-fire quarterback prospect in the top half of the first round.
This is pure opinion. I didn't know LFC was a football analyst or scout. I thought he was a reporter. Analyst's opinions about Smith and this QB class are all over the place. JLC basically states here that every single team in the NFL has him as their No. 1 QB, which is a ridiculous assumption.

Like I said, Rotoworld is taking JLC's opinion as gospel.

Here's what Adam Schefter, who is far more reliable said on the matter:

Quote:
"It looks more and more like he's going to go in the top 10," Schefter said. "... It's difficult to say (exactly where he'll go), but it's not difficult to discern that Geno Smith is looking more and more like a top-ten pick."
That sounds like he's heard some buzz. But he's not guaranteeing anything probably because he doesn't know for sure. Just like no one knows for sure until it happens.

JAC, PHI, and OAK have had newspaper reports that call their interest in him a smokescreen. And I still think it's entirely possible that JAC, PHI do like him... but not in the top 5... 6 is Cleveland, and they could pounce, but I can alwso see this unfolding... the how is Leinart/Rodgers/Quinn/Clausen still on the board?!... Quinn passed Miami for TED GINN?!? WTF!?! All these teams are passing on him... and then if he gets past BUF/NYJ, and the JAC/PHI interest makes sense again...

Gun to my head, Smith will go in the top ten. The rookie wage scale absolutely helps him - which is a good point JLC makes.

But here are my arguments, and they've been consistent and No. 1 is my main argument, No. 2 I just think shouldn't be completely dismissed:

1) He's not WORTH a top-ten pick - I wouldn't take him there and I'll disagree with the team that does.

2) There is still a chance, perhaps slim, he falls into the teens, 20s, or later. It's the NFL draft and I've seen it happen before. The flaws in his game are just so evident that I think most teams will see them also. The Chiefs and Cardinals already said no.

He'll probably go high. But a "report" like this doesn't seal anything. Draft night does.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tannehill wasn't worth a first round pick and he went 8th last year. I expect Geno go go top 5 easily, and I don't think there's much to debate on that.

PS- nevermind tannehill, Weeden wasn't worth a 3rd because of his age and he went in the 1st!

Last edited by Robcards : 04-04-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs said no? Because Alex Smith is the answer?

The Cardinals said no? Because Palmer is the answer?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

The chiefs said no because they gave up the 34th pick in the draft on a qb already. Wouldn't make much sense to take another 1st.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Hmm with the recent trade activity involving QBS. I don't see the Geno Smith going top 10. Raiders got Matt Flynn, Cardinals got Carson Palmer, and the Bills signed Kolb. Unless for some odd reason the Eagles draft Geno I don't see him going top 10. Someone could trade up but right now the need for QB is not as high as it was weeks ago.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!
SRK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

No the Cards said no when Arians said "the need value is not there." When Doug Farrar (best football guy at ESPN) gleaned from Arians that the Cards won't draft Geno Smith by titling a blog post "Why the Cardinals won't draft Geno Smith" which ESPN then curiously changed the title of...

Just like Dorsey did when he said no QB was worth a first round pick.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK85 View Post
Hmm with the recent trade activity involving QBS. I don't see the Geno Smith going top 10. Raiders got Matt Flynn, Cardinals got Carson Palmer, and the Bills signed Kolb. Unless for some odd reason the Eagles draft Geno I don't see him going top 10. Someone could trade up but right now the need for QB is not as high as it was weeks ago.
Bills gave up nothing for Kolb and he can easily be cut. Raiders gave up a late 2014 pick and another conditional for Flynn, that's hardly a commitment. Cardinals and Eagles are hardly set at qb with Palmer and Vick, I highly doubt that those two are their starters in 2014 so I'm not sure how that keeps them from taking Geno
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybeejr View Post
Wow some of you are either voluntarily ignorant or just stupid. 40 years ago Wilson, RG3 and Kaepernick and Cam are all WR or TE. All of them. NO SHOT at qb. For a long ass time blacks werent considered smart enough to play qb. Thats why people get offended. The only way u will get a big, justified outcry against something like this is when irrational claims against a man's work ethic and intelligence are made.

How the **** can a top 50 pick be a cross between a bust and a guy that throws backwards? Clearly he thinks the guy should go in the 5th round.

You dont just say things like 'he has a fake smile' or 'he cant inspire teammates' without people noticing.
Thank you, and the wouldn't have been serious QB prospects even 20 years ago. It wasn't until the McKnab/Culpepper that black QBs took a major step forward.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 04-05-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...ed-in-top-five

Read the whole thing, it's pretty funny. It reads like someone here wrote it. Just a long-winded opinion with reasoning based on his assumptions and personal views about Smith.

This is the only worthwhile nugget in the whole thing, and that's where Rotoworld drew their conclusion. But the truth is JLC knows what he knows and that's it. My only reason to doubt him is that he has a history of being wrong. And "teams that have done their work on Smith" could mean two teams...

Casserly and Narwocki's sources said otherwise.

This line of thinking "well they all need QBs so obviously ONE of them is bound to take him!" assumes that one of these teams actually wants to take Geno Smith in the top 10...

This is pure opinion. I didn't know LFC was a football analyst or scout. I thought he was a reporter. Analyst's opinions about Smith and this QB class are all over the place. JLC basically states here that every single team in the NFL has him as their No. 1 QB, which is a ridiculous assumption.

Like I said, Rotoworld is taking JLC's opinion as gospel.

Here's what Adam Schefter, who is far more reliable said on the matter:

That sounds like he's heard some buzz. But he's not guaranteeing anything probably because he doesn't know for sure. Just like no one knows for sure until it happens.

JAC, PHI, and OAK have had newspaper reports that call their interest in him a smokescreen. And I still think it's entirely possible that JAC, PHI do like him... but not in the top 5... 6 is Cleveland, and they could pounce, but I can alwso see this unfolding... the how is Leinart/Rodgers/Quinn/Clausen still on the board?!... Quinn passed Miami for TED GINN?!? WTF!?! All these teams are passing on him... and then if he gets past BUF/NYJ, and the JAC/PHI interest makes sense again...

Gun to my head, Smith will go in the top ten. The rookie wage scale absolutely helps him - which is a good point JLC makes.

But here are my arguments, and they've been consistent and No. 1 is my main argument, No. 2 I just think shouldn't be completely dismissed:

1) He's not WORTH a top-ten pick - I wouldn't take him there and I'll disagree with the team that does.

2) There is still a chance, perhaps slim, he falls into the teens, 20s, or later. It's the NFL draft and I've seen it happen before. The flaws in his game are just so evident that I think most teams will see them also. The Chiefs and Cardinals already said no.

He'll probably go high. But a "report" like this doesn't seal anything. Draft night does.

What was Ponder and Locker worth and where were the hit pieces on those scrubs?

Oh, and "JLC" went on to say this:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4h
@SC_DougFarrar oh yeah, I hear you brother. the same idiot that scared off all those teams off Cam! I love that jackass!
Expand

Last edited by Black Bolt : 04-05-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Bills gave up nothing for Kolb and he can easily be cut. Raiders gave up a late 2014 pick and another conditional for Flynn, that's hardly a commitment. Cardinals and Eagles are hardly set at qb with Palmer and Vick, I highly doubt that those two are their starters in 2014 so I'm not sure how that keeps them from taking Geno
This^ None of the QB acquisitions are long term solutions.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Geno probably goes in the top 10, but I think a lot of those teams will be looking to grab a QB at the top of the second instead. I don't think there is a big enough difference between the #1 QB and the #5 QB.

The only QB acquisition that might be lasting is Flynn and that is a big unknown still. Flynn got stuck behind 2 pretty legit QBs; I'm not shocked he didn't start over either. Palmer and Kolb aren't anything more than a year or two stopgap while they get the next guy ready. I wouldn't be shocked to see Jacksonville take a chance on a new QB either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Last edited by niel89 : 04-05-2013 at 01:32 AM.
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno is far from perfect, but this notion that he's not a top 10 prospect is just ridiculous.

So he's not Peyton Manning on the white board. So? Cam Newton couldn't even call a play when Gruden asked him. He's doing just fine.

So he is inconsistent in his accuracy. And? Jake Locker wasn't? He went top 10.

Footwork needs work. So did Gabberts.

The point being, yes he has his warts, but this silly notion that he's not a top 10 pick bc of it is absolutely ridiculous. Complete nonsense.

Trent Dilfer, whom I respect as an analsyst, said it perfectly. This qb class is no where near as bad as people think. It's better than 2011, which saw 4 1st round qbs. People are overreacting to 2012.

2012 is once in a generation type of qb class.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Geno is far from perfect, but this notion that he's not a top 10 prospect is just ridiculous.

So he's not Peyton Manning on the white board. So? Cam Newton couldn't even call a play when Gruden asked him. He's doing just fine.

The point being, yes he has his warts, but this silly notion that he's not a top 10 pick bc of it is absolutely ridiculous. Complete nonsense.

Trent Dilfer, whom I respect as an analsyst, said it perfectly. This qb class is no where near as bad as people think. It's better than 2011, which saw 4 1st round qbs. People are overreacting to 2012.

Oh look, somebody who can look at the big picture perspective.

Sig by TACKLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Tannehill was a better QB (than Gabbert) when he was still playing WR
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

You are proving my argument for me.

Neither of those players were worth top-ten picks, but were taken there.

For the thousandth time, I think ultimately he does go high. But he shouldn't is my point.

Using Gabbert and Locker as examples doesn't help your argument and in fact doesn't mean ****.

Watch Smith against LSU. Watch him on Gruden Camp and with Mooch. What am I missing? Tell me why my concerns should be ignored. I know he has a good arm and I actually like his accuracy, which is my number 1 position-specific skill for QBs. But there are just so many damn red flags I can't overlook.

Disagree with some substance rather than just generalizations and useless comparisons.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um, I thought Geno actually played well against LSU last year.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What was Ponder and Locker worth and where were the hit pieces on those scrubs?

Oh, and "JLC" went on to say this:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4h
@SC_DougFarrar oh yeah, I hear you brother. the same idiot that scared off all those teams off Cam! I love that jackass!
Expand
Neither Ponder nor Locker were worth first-round picks at all and I said so at the time. Not sure what you mean here...

Hit pieces I'm done with. I'd like to see you argue against my opinions on Smith because obviously you can't handle Narwocki's.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Um, I thought Geno actually played well against LSU last year.
I liked a lot of what I saw as well. I'm trying to stir up the discussion. Substance-wise it was very one-sided I thought.

At the risk of arguing against myself I'll leave that to a Geno proponent.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't been posting very much about Geno Smith, because I took a fairly distinct dislike to him (at least, I thought he was waaaaay overrated and I'm not impressed by his demeanor), but didn't want to just be ragging on him all the time, because he's a human being and all that and if he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL quarterback, it'll be evident soon enough. He reminds me of the Gabbert debate, but from a little bit different angle. I do think Gabbert's flaws were more cringe-inducing. Geno doesn't have nearly the problems running from phantom pressure, trying to throw every fade like a fade-away, and in general looking like he was trying to play football without getting hit. Geno actually strikes me as kind of a"gamer." I'd be fine giving him that label, and it's a compliment. But like Gabbert, the flaws I see in Geno's game are seriously troubling. He's not a cerebral player. I just. Don't. See it.

In interviews he's not engaging. He just follows along with the conversation, nodding, then says something generic about "just trying to go off the defense and make plays." I don't see any strategy in his mind. I don't get the feeling he comprehends the complexity of NFL defenses. I don't know if it's simply an intelligence thing, or if he just isn't a student of the game. I think he is a player of the game. I don't think he is a student of it. Elite quarterbacks in the NFL need to essentially be PhDs in quarterbacking. Or at least, they need to approach it that way - they graduate college with their knowledge of the college game, and then they move up a level, and everything about their game needs to move up a level, too. I just don't know if Geno will be able to do that. He reminds of a kid who might be studying History as an undergraduate, who might turn in pretty good work, but either because A) he's too gifted (Geno is a great athlete) and never learned to put in the work, or B) he did put in comparable work to other students, and his work was enough to earn him the grades he needed for graduate school, but upon arriving at that next level it becomes clear that he just isn't cut out for it.

In the way he talks about the game, and in the way I see him play it, Geno Smith is not ready for the NFL. If he was a RS sophomore coming out, I'd say he'd be a great pick in the second round for a team to develop. As a Senior, he should be ahead of where he is. The fact that he isn't makes me not want to draft him. I have never played college football, but when I watch tape of Geno I see things that I think he should be seeing. Of course, it's much harder to "See" when you're actually on the football field, but that's what separates good college QBs from good NFL QBs. I just have a bad feeling about this guy. I would bet an obscene amount of money that if he hadn't put up the stats he did, he would not be in the first round conversation. But he's got those magical, magnetic numbers (Thanks Tavon, Stedman), so he's going to go higher than he should. He absolutely had the best duo of wideouts in college football last year. (I see you over there Clemson and USC, don't be offended.) He has the arm talent to shine in that situation. I am very, very, very dubious that he can raise the level of play of the players around him. And maybe I'll give him this - if he goes to a good team, if he goes to a team with an above-average wideout group, or maybe even if he lands on a team with a truly elite receiver (like Arizona), I think he can get the ball to them. I think he's kind of that oddball quarterback whose teammates raise his level of play. But without wideouts who always get huge separation, I'm afraid he's either going to become a timid passer who gets sacked a lot, or an interception machine. I just don't see any ability at all in his film to find a 2nd, 3rd or 4th option consistently, he doesn't react well to pressure, and he locks onto receivers and throws to them when they're open, not before, not in anticipation.

So that's my two cents on Geno Smith. The brain is a part of the body, just like the arm. Geno's got the arm he needs. He's got he athleticism. I am not sold on his brain. I think when evaluators are talking about a qb prospect having "it" they are talking about his brain. Obviously, it's something you can't really measure, you can't see it working, but by the way they play the quality of this organ's contribution to the player's overall skillset becomes evident, and to me it looks like Geno's isn't where it needs to be to play quarterback in the NFL, and he's got a ways to go. I really don't want to call him "dumb" or "lazy," but I honestly think he might show less mental acumen than any top prospect I've seen since I started paying attention to the draft. He's all physical traits, and his defenders always have to go back to the stats when his detractors start picking apart the way he plays.

Edit: to those who read this, I know it sounds like harsh criticism. take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 04-07-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote