Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't say that the system and garbage competition he faces doesn't make me nervous at all, but I won't kill him over it either. Honestly, these wide open passing spread offenses mask the deficiencies of wide receivers more than they do for quarterbacks. Regardless of any of that, he does look like the best quarterback in the country. I do have him comfortably above Matt Barkley at the moment, but I still don't think he's someone to go nuts over (like Luck or RGIII last year).

I do think people are overrating his performance against LSU last year a bit. I thought it was ok or maybe even good, but far from great. He did throw for a lot of yards, but also threw the ball 60-70 times. His YPA wasn't that impressive considering the offense he plays in. I also recall a sub-60% completion percentage and a couple of turnovers. It was an impressive performance considering the opponent, but I've seen people act like he had a really great game.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean...it's important to evaluate a player's system in the context of understanding what he's asked to do, but at the end of the day, you still have to just isolate his traits and try to project them - independently of surrounding talent, opposing talent, system, etc (I'm paraphrasing Cosell a bit here, but that's is probably the most poignant evaluation stance I've ever heard him make).

For instance, WVU has a read option play that's similar to what Baylor did with RG3 (and I've also seen the Redskins run it). QB reads the weakside alley player and, depending on his pursuit, can choose to either give it to a runningback or hit the backside pass combo. Some people will call it "gimmick" offense, but I fail to see who it's any different conceptually than what a traditional zone bootleg pass. It's the same damn thing.

So back to projectable traits: eye-level? Elite. Pocket movement and comfort? Elite. Ability to play within compressed spaces? Elite from what I've personally seen. Arm talent (not in terms of pure velocity, but in terms of functional arm strength and ball placement)? Elite.

He's the real deal.

Last edited by y.f.s. : 10-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Can you imagine how good he'd be if he had the maturity of a 28 year old?
Who?

Speaking of 28 year olds, Weeden is proving the Browns were smart.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
bruschis4all
Veteran

bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno was 38/65 463 yards with two td's and 2 int's. Against LSU last year. Really looking forward to see how he does against Texas this week. Most good college offenses protect the qb so well we don't get to see how they do against a pass rush. Maybe, Texas can get in his face and we'll what happens.
bruschis4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 AM    (permalink
Pontus
Rookie

Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pontus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Debated who is the best pro comparision for Geno Smith. Thinking it may be Aaron Rodgers. Totally off?
Pontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontus View Post
Debated who is the best pro comparision for Geno Smith. Thinking it may be Aaron Rodgers. Totally off?
Not seeing Rodgers mobility to be honest. I'd go with Sam Bradford.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He reminds me of Alex Smith when he was coming out of Utah. I know that name sets of a **** storm, but they have a lot of similarities as prospects,
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Warren Moon or Ken Anderson as comps. That deep ball accuracy is like "woah" and totally eliminates an Alex Smith comp for me. That and his eye level is better than Alex's has been at any point - Heisman campaign included.

He's got a strong arm but is still a touch thrower, so I can see where a Bradford comp would come from.

I can see Rodgers to a certain point, too, if we're talking about college Aaron Rodgers and not RoboQB Aaron Rodgers.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dante Culpepper because they're both black QBs, lawls
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
DanDanE420
Rookie

DanDanE420 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

His calmness in the pocket actually reminds me of Tom Brady. He stands very tall.
DanDanE420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not his best game vs texas

25/35 269yds 4td 0 int; 2 fumbles off of sacks though

went 10/11 in the 2nd half

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Future Chief y'all.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Future Chief y'all.
I'm not sure you want to be aiming for the #1 overall pick in week 5 of the NFL season...

You might have to settle for Barkley.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilk103 View Post

Still pretty good. Too bad it won't be on replay, because it was on Fox :(
Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Still pretty good. Too bad it won't be on replay, because it was on Fox :(
I think it's a great game. He managed 4 TDs and a 71% completion rate against a good defense, with a lot of pressure in his face.

It's not as good as his game against Baylor, but Texas's defense is a lot better than Baylor's. The Longhorns have some legitimate defensive talent on the DL and in the secondary.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I think it's a great game. He managed 4 TDs and a 71% completion rate against a good defense, with a lot of pressure in his face.

It's not as good as his game against Baylor, but Texas's defense is a lot better than Baylor's. The Longhorns have some legitimate defensive talent on the DL and in the secondary.
Agreed.

People will be able to take a lot more away from this game than the Baylor game. I need to watch the game again as I've been on-call at work the past couple days and had to go in for some night shifts... my mind wasn't all there during the game last night.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilk103 View Post

Updated Geno tracker: 1996 YRDS 24 TDS 0 INTS 81% COMP 204 ATTS
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I'm not sure you want to be aiming for the #1 overall pick in week 5 of the NFL season...

You might have to settle for Barkley.
That is exactly what I want to be aiming for.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
Arm talent (not in terms of pure velocity, but in terms of functional arm strength and ball placement)? Elite.
Can you clarify the difference between 'functional arm strength' and regular arm strength? I don't think any prospect's arm in this draft is being judged by whether or not they can throw the ball through the uprights off their knees from the 50 yard line or whether he or any other QB can throw it 75 yards in the air at a pro day workout. All we have is so far is what we've seen on the field so as I understand it functional arm strength is all we're really going off right now? (really not trying to be snarky with ya, tone is tricky on the interwebz)

Is he an elite passer right now? Hard to argue with his efficiency at all three levels of the field. I would say he might be the best pure 'passer' since Bradford (who I loved). But would I say he's an elite arm talent or "thrower of the football"? No. His arm is solid. Most of his 'wow' throws are because of great touch and placement more so than velocity. You see him really stepping up and driving his downfield throws which is not meant as a knock, but he can't quite throws those effortless-looking darts from different throwing positions like some other top prospects we've seen can. I do really believe he has a lot of room for growth as far as 'arm talent' if he can get stronger and more coordinated in the lower half. I think we will see noticeable progression in that area like we've seen from other top QB's in the league who's arms have gotten gradually stronger. Relative to other highly drafted QB prospects, I'd say his arm is around the middle of the pack - better than Bradford and Sanchez, a bit below Tannehill and Locker. I do understand that you're factoring in more than just velocity in 'arm talent'. I know it's a Cosell-ism but I don't love the term because I feel it's a little too broad and leaves a little too much up to interpretation which was kinda the reason I started going off on whatever you wanna call this thing where I type a lot and don't say much. This isn't meant to bash piece on Geno at all and I don't feel the need to state the obvious that there are other things he does at a very high level and that this criticism if you want to call it that, is not a significant one. I just think that if he did in fact have elite arm talent, he'd be a special, slam-dunk #1 QB prospect in a lot of years because the other stuff he does so well opposed to a very good QB prospect and the likely #1 pick in an ever declining QB class.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Arm talent isn't just velocity throwing the football or pure arm strength, IMO it also includes the ability to make a wide variety of throws from multiple launch points, accuracy throwing and ball placement.

Arm talent is a bundle of skill sets, both physical and technical.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Can you clarify the difference between 'functional arm strength' and regular arm strength? I don't think any prospect's arm in this draft is being judged by whether or not they can throw the ball through the uprights off their knees from the 50 yard line or whether he or any other QB can throw it 75 yards in the air at a pro day workout. All we have is so far is what we've seen on the field so as I understand it functional arm strength is all we're really going off right now? (really not trying to be snarky with ya, tone is tricky on the interwebz)

Is he an elite passer right now? Hard to argue with his efficiency at all three levels of the field. I would say he might be the best pure 'passer' since Bradford (who I loved). But would I say he's an elite arm talent or "thrower of the football"? No. His arm is solid. Most of his 'wow' throws are because of great touch and placement more so than velocity. You see him really stepping up and driving his downfield throws which is not meant as a knock, but he can't quite throws those effortless-looking darts from different throwing positions like some other top prospects we've seen can. I do really believe he has a lot of room for growth as far as 'arm talent' if he can get stronger and more coordinated in the lower half. I think we will see noticeable progression in that area like we've seen from other top QB's in the league who's arms have gotten gradually stronger. Relative to other highly drafted QB prospects, I'd say his arm is around the middle of the pack - better than Bradford and Sanchez, a bit below Tannehill and Locker. I do understand that you're factoring in more than just velocity in 'arm talent'. I know it's a Cosell-ism but I don't love the term because I feel it's a little too broad and leaves a little too much up to interpretation which was kinda the reason I started going off on whatever you wanna call this thing where I type a lot and don't say much. This isn't meant to bash piece on Geno at all and I don't feel the need to state the obvious that there are other things he does at a very high level and that this criticism if you want to call it that, is not a significant one. I just think that if he did in fact have elite arm talent, he'd be a special, slam-dunk #1 QB prospect in a lot of years because the other stuff he does so well opposed to a very good QB prospect and the likely #1 pick in an ever declining QB class.
No, you're definitely right in that the terms "arm talent" and "functional arm strength" are somewhat broad and leave questions to interpretation.

When I refer to functional arm strength, I'm alluding to the fact that there is a necessarily threshold for arm strength and once you get past that threshold, you generally see diminishing returns that negate whatever advantage throwing with a lot of velocity gives you.

Further, while I don't necessarily see the ball "explode" or "crease" out of Smith's hand, I rarely/ever see WRs having to slow up and wait for his balls (even when throwing deep, which he does quite a bit). And I think another part of it has to do with how good he is at moving in the pocket to find space to reset and throw.

Last edited by y.f.s. : 10-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 way race between the Browns, Chiefs and Bills.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Right View Post
3 way race between the Browns, Chiefs and Bills.
Jaguars plz.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
Jaguars plz.
Nope, sorry sir. You will get Barkley and like it. The Chiefs are god awful and now we have Brady Quinn starting at QB. This season is over.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Nope, sorry sir. You will get Barkley and like it. The Chiefs are god awful and now we have Brady Quinn starting at QB. This season is over.
Nah bruh, your D is good enough to win you like 4 games down the stretch.