Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I don't like McDaniel's offense as much as O'Briens. McDaniels deemphasizes the TE in his offense, which makes no sense with the Patriots current crop of talent.

That's why Gronk is having a down year. He's not a primary read in this scheme.
I don't think he's deemphasizing the TEs. Pats OL is shaky and Gronk is a great blocker. He stays in a bunch to help the tackles against pass rush. I think as the OL starts to gel and get some continuity, we'll see Gronk going out for more passes. We'll see though.

Woodhead should next have more than 10 touches ever again. That includes "thrown to" attempts, regardless if he catches the ball or not.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cements-again/

Ray Lewis is complaining about the replacement refs, but, it's about something they actually got right. Best part?

Quote:
It would be easy to crack a joke right here, but Ray’s ignorance of the rules is alarming. Does no one in the Ravens organization explain these rules to the players? Or does coach John Harbaugh show them a Saturday night Power Point presentation that says, “The rules are there ain’t no rules”? Or has Ray simply delivered and/or received too many helmet-to-helmet hits of his own?
For some reason, the Ravens and the Steelers just don't seem to grasp what the NFL means by "don't launch yourself at people's heads."

I don't know if such a statistic has been researched before, but I would be shocked if those two teams weren't #1 and #2 in "targeting the head" penalties.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What an idiot. Reed should have been flagged for two hits to the head on defenseless WRs because, while not as bad, he did the same to Edelman early in the game.

I love the line "That’s not the rules. The rules of this game is, ‘Do whatever you gotta do, by any means necessary.’"

First of all I believe he is trying to say "the rules of this game are" but I digress.

What kind of moron actually believes this crap, "by any means necessary"?

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
What an idiot. Reed should have been flagged for two hits to the head on defenseless WRs because, while not as bad, he did the same to Edelman early in the game.

I love the line "That’s not the rules. The rules of this game is, ‘Do whatever you gotta do, by any means necessary.’"

First of all I believe he is trying to say "the rules of this game are" but I digress.

What kind of moron actually believes this crap, "by any means necessary"?
Ray, obviously. James Harrison too apparently. This is one issue where fighting the NFL is pointless. They are going to flag you if you go at a person's head. Even if you hit with your shoulder, "launching" is still against the rules and will get you the same penalty (as well as lighten your wallet) as hitting helmet to helmet.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM    (permalink
HeavyLeggedWaistBender
Veteran

HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kill the ******* head.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Ray, obviously. James Harrison too apparently. This is one issue where fighting the NFL is pointless. They are going to flag you if you go at a person's head. Even if you hit with your shoulder, "launching" is still against the rules and will get you the same penalty (as well as lighten your wallet) as hitting helmet to helmet.
The refs are always out to stick it to the Ravens. Win or lose, real or replacement refs, they're out to get them. You didn't know that?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cements-again/

Ray Lewis is complaining about the replacement refs, but, it's about something they actually got right. Best part?

For some reason, the Ravens and the Steelers just don't seem to grasp what the NFL means by "don't launch yourself at people's heads."

I don't know if such a statistic has been researched before, but I would be shocked if those two teams weren't #1 and #2 in "targeting the head" penalties.
What a moron. If I were him I'd leave the refs alone seeing as how they gift wrapped the Ravens momentum killing penalties on the Pats all night. Even when they get the better end of it, the Ravens can't help but complain about the officials.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I don't blame them for passing if that's what the criticism is about. The Pats make their money in the air. I trust Brady to get the first down. If he doesn't, then he doesn't. But I would put the ball in his hands and ask him to close the game out too if I were Bellichick.

I don't like McDaniel's offense as much as O'Briens. McDaniels deemphasizes the TE in his offense, which makes no sense with the Patriots current crop of talent.

That's why Gronk is having a down year. He's not a primary read in this scheme.
Pretty much this. I haven't read anyone place the blame on the refs for us losing this game as some butt hurt posters would have you believe as the officiating was horrible for both teams, but for whatever reason the offensive game plan was way to focused on giving Woodhead carries for 1 yard gains and keeping Gronk in to block (which seems stupid but our offensive line has been pretty bad so I guess I understand but its really hurting us).

McCourty was oddly hot and very cold in the worst possible spots for us last night, dropped two picks and got beat deep and flagged on late game drives. Wilfork was not a presence outside of the first quarter, and once the Ravens realized they should be running the ball their oline completely dominated us. After looking great against the run the first two weeks we were handled all night by their line. Also Jones was held in check all night and we really have no legitimate pass rusher outside of him. In the end our defense couldn't pull it together in the final minutes, and Brady and the offense couldn't sustain drives when it mattered. Thats happened all too often these last few years and is frustrating to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
The refs are always out to stick it to the Ravens. Win or lose, real or replacement refs, they're out to get them. You didn't know that?
I think you're being sarcastic, but just in case, there is a big difference between getting nickel and dimed for every little thing you do like what happens to the Raiders, and getting legit penalties for throwing yourself at people's heads.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Branch was taller, he would have got hit right square in the chest.

But cause he is small and he lowered his head, it became helmet to helmet.
brat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think you're being sarcastic, but just in case, there is a big difference between getting nickel and dimed for every little thing you do like what happens to the Raiders, and getting legit penalties for throwing yourself at people's heads.
I am being sarcastic. It's a whole culture of blaming and hating the refs in Baltimore. The fan base eats that crap up.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post

It is what it is. Unfortunately you can't have different rules based on people's heights. I don't like it either, but it is better for player's safety to not get lit up in the head.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I am being sarcastic. It's a whole culture of blaming and hating the refs in Baltimore. The fan base eats that crap up.
Pittsburgh fans as well. They believe they're being victimized by the refs, replacement or not, when these kinds of calls are made.

Logic be damned.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

And this is going to happen more often than not because bracing for someone to hit you is a natural thing to do. If a defender aims himself at a fair level it shouldnt be a penalty because some player lowers his head at the last split second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ed Reed was waiting for him, Branch lowered himself into Reed.

though the first one he straight mugged him. No launching, but that was straight to the head.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
And this is going to happen more often than not because bracing for someone to hit you is a natural thing to do. If a defender aims himself at a fair level it shouldnt be a penalty because some player lowers his head at the last split second.
It wouldn't be flagged if the defender wasn't "launching himself." Maybe I'm just very confused, but that is also against the rules, is it not?

There are helmet to helmet hits where, if you make first contact as a tackler with your helmet against another player's helmet, you get flagged.

But then there are the "launching" penalties. It wouldn't be the first time the announcers were blatantly wrong about something, but in both the DHB and Branch hits, two different sets of announcers talked about "launching" penalties. (DHB's was helmet to helmet, so that should have been flagged no matter what, but still...)

So even if the ball carrier lowers his head while bracing himself, you can still be flagged if you "launch" yourself at him while leading with the crown of your helmet, even if you only contact him with your shoulder.

And right now, as if to mock me, two Steeler fans a cubicle over are talking about how the DHB hit was "a football play" and shouldn't have been flagged. Ugh.

Just...just...ugh. Headphones on for the day.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

What got into Reed? He made more hits last night than he has in the previous 2 seasons.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Look slow it down, reed didn't launch himself in the Branch hit. He didn't leave his feet....his toes were still on the ground, ahha. But after the initial impact he followed through.

Mundy hit, was a lunch. he left both his feet, and didn't even aim at the chest.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

Ed Reed was waiting for him, Branch lowered himself into Reed.

though the first one he straight mugged him. No launching, but that was straight to the head.
No, bull ****. Watch from 1:09 on when it's in slower motion. Reed goes helmet down and puts his shoulder into Branch's head. He's moving forward into Branch. That's launching.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Look slow it down, reed didn't launch himself in the Branch hit. He didn't leave his feet....his toes were still on the ground, ahha. But after the initial impact he followed through.
He's a real lazy tackler at this point. He didn't launch himself but the receivers are in a defenseless position and he's going high with his arms as well.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
He's a real lazy tackler at this point. He didn't launch himself but the receivers are in a defenseless position and he's going high with his arms as well.
That's another good point. There's no wrap up attempt at all.

Also, Reed all but leaves his feet. Only his left toes are still on the ground as the hit is being made. His full body weight is going into Branch.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Mundy hit, was a lunch. he left both his feet, and didn't even aim at the chest.
Keep your head up, it's as simple as that. Yes, you're less likely to put on the kind of hit that will jar the ball loose, but those are the rules now. Never at any point in football are you taught to tackle like Ed Reed did in that play.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Keep your head up, it's as simple as that. Yes, you're less likely to put on the kind of hit that will jar the ball loose, but those are the rules now. Never at any point in football are you taught to tackle like Ed Reed did in that play.
Maybe at the U.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Maybe at the U.
I rescind my previous statement. After watching Brandon Meriweather for 4 years I can confirm that this is the only thing he ever learned there.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I played safety. I don't understand how you can take launching away from these guys. It's as much a part of playing the position as the stiff arm is to running backs.

Safeties have to defend the middle of the field. Part of that is intimidation. You have to be able to lay wood on these guys. Jar the ball out. When you're running as fast as they are out there, I don't see how you can stop on a dime and make a form tackle when a guy runs a skinny your way.