Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Why not? Eli just put up similar stats to Alex Smith, clearly that means they're similar players per your non-logic.
You could definitely say that Alex Smith has been as good as Eli this year but two games is not a large enough sample to put him on that level when Eli has been there for almost three years. But if Alex Smith continues his level of play from the first two games and finishes the season with numbers around 65% completion, 3500 yards, 25 touchdowns and eight interceptions I think it would be pretty hard to keep him out of the top 10 current quarterbacks, as they are playing right now not for their careers, given he will have 52 touchdowns to 15 interceptions since early 2010.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For ***** sake, I am tired of this ******* argument.

/discussion
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
For ***** sake, I am tired of this ******* argument.

/discussion
That isn't the argument, though. Obvious Eli is better now and obviously Eli has had the much better career. No one is arguing that.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

abaddon41_80,

Watching ESPN Mike and Mike, and former Giant Jason Sehorn chiming in on the game. Just to make a point, he was saying Eli played well, but doesn't like body language. Seriously? LOL. This is a guy still stuck during the years where Eli was perplexed on why Burress and Shockey would be running wrong routes. I don't know what they expect? Eli to be like Cutler? Or maybe Cam newton, sulking with a towel on his head.

People who live in NC. and listening to sports talk said that Newton is getting blasted down there for his demeanor. Apparently, Smith went up to Newton on the sideline and got in his face.

But my point is this is a perfect example of how a former player, who happens to be a giant, is still fixated on something that people used to say early on a Qb's career.

So even if Smith plays like AR or someone, he will have people years after still pointing to stuff. Stats won't even sway them. So you will get frustrated if you are trying to make your case, but this is how it is, when you try to make a point using a player people already labeled as either a bust, or average or game manager type QB.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-warner-cable/

The NFL now has a deal with Time Warner Cable to carry the NFLN and Red Zone channels. They now have a deal with every major cable company in the US.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is Kuechly not in the Panthers nickel package? Hell play him at safety if that is what it takes. I don't know why the Panthers would ever take him off the field.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Why is Kuechly not in the Panthers nickel package? Hell play him at safety if that is what it takes. I don't know why the Panthers would ever take him off the field.
Was he really off the field for them? I kind of zoned out to the game and started flipping back and forth with one shows once it got out of hand. In what I saw, Kuechly was their only defender worth a damn.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was he really off the field for them? I kind of zoned out to the game and started flipping back and forth with one shows once it got out of hand. In what I saw, Kuechly was their only defender worth a damn.
I'm glad Kuechly is rebounding. He got absolutely shut down against the Bucs/Erik Lorig.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe so, at least they took him off for a ton of passing situation snaps.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I'm glad Kuechly is rebounding. He got absolutely shut down against the Bucs/Erik Lorig.
He sniffed out and blew up a couple of plays in the backfield in this one. He was pretty impressive. He needs some help though, the rest of that defense is very weak.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think its safe to say the panthers will be in the market for a stud DT next offseason to keep LK and beason free
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i think its safe to say the panthers will be in the market for a stud DT next offseason to keep LK and beason free
I was surprised when they passed on Brockers in the draft. Keuchly is great and all, but it's far easier for an athletic DT to make an impact than a stud LB these days.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who are the Panthers Cbs? Maybe it's time they upgrade that secondary. I love their Lbs but I think they need more DEs. DEs and secondary players they need to add. I love their Lbs though.

I expected us to lose this game last night. I am very surprised to have won. According to all the Cam Newton hype, I expected a lot worse that it was. Maybe now our schedule can be normal and not so odd.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was surprised when they passed on Brockers in the draft. Keuchly is great and all, but it's far easier for an athletic DT to make an impact than a stud LB these days.
i thought for sure they were gonna take cox or brockers
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernonLawson89 View Post
Sounds like a Packers player
Except, you know, the Packers are coming off a 15-2 season so it holds a little bit more merit than a sophomore QB in his first primetime game against the defending champs.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Abaddon is also the guy who a few years back argued day and night with Pats fans that Brady was highly overrated, just to give you some insight on how he rates QBs, although that argument seems to conflict with his idea that stats = top 10 Qb since Brady's stats the last several years have been pretty ridiculous. So pretty much Brady/Eli = Overrated/Great Qb but Alex Smith = top 10 Qb pending on final stats this year.

What Eli does for his team should warrant enough that Smith doesn't even get mentioned in the same discussion, Smith is not asked to do half of what Eli is (or any of the elite/top 10 Qbs are). Now mind you I don't hate Smith, as others have said I think he is a fairly decent QB but is he ever going to pull off something like Eli did against the bucs after an atrocious start? As of now it doesnt look like it, but maybe one day. Basing that prediction on stats tho, is ridiculous however as Stats aren't going to tell the story of how important it is to have a come back performance like Eli had last weekend (starting pretty terrible but managing to stay level headed and comeback) and does so in the NFL regularly, as opposed to game manager who basically just doesnt have to turn the ball over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Last edited by Jvig43 : 09-21-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He sniffed out and blew up a couple of plays in the backfield in this one. He was pretty impressive. He needs some help though, the rest of that defense is very weak.
Carolina have invested too much in their LB's at the expense of the rest of their defense. I guess they tried last year with the 2 DT's, but that failed miserably.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Abaddon is also the guy who a few years back argued day and night with Pats fans that Brady was highly overrated, just to give you some insight on how he rates QBs, although that argument seems to conflict with his idea that stats = top 10 Qb since Brady's stats the last several years have been pretty ridiculous. So pretty much Brady/Eli = Overrated/Great Qb but Alex Smith = top 10 Qb pending on final stats this year.
I don't think Brady is overrated. I think he is the second best QB of this generation, by far, and an all-time great.

Quote:
What Eli does for his team should warrant enough that Smith doesn't even get mentioned in the same discussion, Smith is not asked to do half of what Eli is. Now mind you I don't hate Smith, as others have said I think he is a fairly decent QB but is he ever going to pull off something like Eli did against the bucs after an atrocious start?

Please go back an read the multiple times that I stated I am not comparing Smith to Eli currently. But I would argue that Smith's comeback against the Saints last year was every bit as impressive as Eli's against the Bucs

Quote:
As of now it doesnt look like it, but maybe one day. Basing that prediction on stats tho, is ridiculous however as Stats aren't going to tell the story of how important it is to have a come back performance like Eli had and does in the NFL, as opposed to game manager who basically just doesnt have to turn the ball over.
I am not saying that Alex is definitely going to be an elite QB, I haven't come close to saying that. I just thought it was interesting how close their stats after around five seasons worth of stats are probably going to be.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Wtf is going on.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love it. Every goddamn thread instantly become a Smith/Eli debate.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Time Warner and NFL stuck a deal on NFL network today, guess the every week TNF games was enough
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Wtf is going on.
he posted stats of eli and alex smith's first 80 something starts without naming the guys. Projections of smith's numbers. Less INT's than Eli. Similar completion percentage. Even though Eli had like 20 more TD's and 1,000 more yards than these projections. Smith fellating. Hinting that Smith could be elite but won't actually come out and say it. Mad he's considered a bus driver. Rosebud brought it all up again after the game, started debate round 2.

Nothing really out of the ordinary. More Eli talk (giants fans usually to blame, i know). More Alex Smith talk (it will never end). More nameless, baseless stats that don't take anything into account. (a favorite here on SWDC).

All we need is some TomTom and injuriezzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Time Warner and NFL stuck a deal on NFL network today, guess the every week TNF games was enough
Finally. (10 char)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Wootster View Post
I love it. Every goddamn thread instantly become a Smith/Eli debate.
which doesn't even really make sense. Look, Alex Smith was drafted the year after Eli and he's making progress and Eli was **** his first few years (even though never lost a job to Shaun Hill, but that's not really here nor there) so Alex Smith could be elite. ALEX SMITH ALEX SMITH ALEX SMITH LOOK GUYS RECOGNIZE HIM HE'S REAL GOOD

At least the Brady/Peyton debates made sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
which doesn't even really make sense. Look, Alex Smith was drafted the year after Eli and he's making progress and Eli was **** his first few years (even though never lost a job to Shaun Hill, but that's not really here nor there) so Alex Smith could be elite. ALEX SMITH ALEX SMITH ALEX SMITH LOOK GUYS RECOGNIZE HIM HE'S REAL GOOD

At least the Brady/Peyton debates made sense
This isn't really a Smith vs. Eli debate, though. It is a Smith vs. early Eli debate. Three years ago Eli was nowhere near the QB he is today