Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Well yeah, I don't disagree with you here, but I'm rationalizing it like this because *I* think Geno is a franchise QB. *I* would pound the table for Geno personally.

Not sure if you're being serious here.
I have no qualms with that. I believe Geno will be a good QB and I would take him with the first overall pick too. However, when it comes to predicting where players will go I try to think more in the minds of the team than what I personally believe.

I just think it's slightly unreasonable not to see it from other peoples point of view. Like if someone suggests the Chiefs take a player other than Geno they get scoffed at or it becomes an argument.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGA45 View Post
And you base that one what exactly?
Hey, Barkley is not the chump that people want to believe he is. Too many people soured by USC QBs are quick to jump on Barkley's case.

He's the safest QB in this draft. Love his football IQ. Love his intangibles. Love his accuracy. Love his competitiveness. He's a guy who can handle the weight of the team on his shoulders.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Not sure if you're being serious here.
Wanna fight?! Let's Fight!

Nah but yea... I fully understand that I'm going against the current here.... but the forum topics are kinda boring out there right now and this one is mildly worth having a fun debate about.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM    (permalink
SAGA45
Rookie

SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Hey, Barkley is not the chump that people want to believe he is. Too many people soured by USC QBs are quick to jump on Barkley's case.

He's the safest QB in this draft. Love his football IQ. Love his intangibles. Love his accuracy. Love his competitiveness. He's a guy who can handle the weight of the team on his shoulders.
Not knocking Barkley, but your second paragraph could be said to describe Geno Smith as well. What specifically makes Barkley a better fit for the Chiefs?
SAGA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
wait, so because Geno isn't one of the best QB prospects in the last decade, he's not worth the number one pick?

OH.

this is getting absurd. the lack of actual football logic and then matt barkley pimping is getting way out of hand
Hey scotty,
You drafted Ricky Wagner to the Giants in the first round of our forum mock. You're not allowed to speak in this forum for a year.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hey scotty,
You drafted Ricky Wagner to the Giants in the first round of our forum mock. You're not allowed to speak in this forum for a year.
you mean the forum mock that happened in what? September? When Wagner's stock was pretty high? Makes sense.

But you're pimping Barkley :/ he's just so painfully mediocre.

and these reasons for Jocekel as just so...so meh. Geno's the right pick here and for my chief fan friends, that's what I hope it is. When you've got the #1 pick, you don't go status quo by letting your studly LT walk and draft someone to replace him. You keep your guy, get a QB, and go at 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Not knocking Barkley, but your second paragraph could be said to describe Geno Smith as well. What specifically makes Barkley a better fit for the Chiefs?
I don't think Geno can carry the weight of the franchise matter of factly. I think his success is a byproduct of the system he was in and the weak conference he was in. The system is what carries West Virginia.

Without Barkley, USC was exposed to show how bad they really are.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
you mean the forum mock that happened in what? September? When Wagner's stock was pretty high? Makes sense.

But you're pimping Barkley :/ he's just so painfully mediocre.

and these reasons for Jocekel as just so...so meh. Geno's the right pick here and for my chief fan friends, that's what I hope it is. When you've got the #1 pick, you don't go status quo by letting your studly LT walk and draft someone to replace him. You keep your guy, get a QB, and go at 'em.
Stop looking at rankings and just use your eyes. Then you can debate.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How can you say that when our eyes tell us that noodle arm Barkley is a backup qb in the nfl?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Place me in D-Unit's camp on this debate

I'd go with Wilson personally but I know he's not a realistic option right now.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Last edited by princefielder28 : 02-04-2013 at 07:15 PM.
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
SAGA45
Rookie

SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SAGA45 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think Geno can carry the weight of the franchise matter of factly. I think his success is a byproduct of the system he was in and the weak conference he was in. The system is what carries West Virginia.

Barkley got hurt and in stepped a redshirt freshmen to replace him. There were no similar circumstances with Geno Smith at WVU to support your argument. So is there something else that makes Barkley a better fit for KC?
SAGA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My eyes? I've seen enough armpunts from Barkley to know he's got a low ceiling. Geno's got a high ceiling. Hell, everything you said there about Barkley is pretty true about Tyler Wilson as well.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Barkley sucks dong. Reminds me of Jimmy Clausen quite a bit, actually.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

after watching more Geno Smith recently I came away with some consistent concerns

-overall pocket presence is lacking, any hint of pressure and he tends to get rattled

-boundary throws and throws anticipated threw windows/holes in the defense are a part of his passing game where he often comes up short

-question his ability to dissect defenses and be able to go through progressions after first read is gone

Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

USC really wasn't that much worse without Barkley. But that's more a statement of USC's ability to recruit and develop QBs..

I like Barkley a lot, just not for a team that needs someone to work out long-term. He has so many issues going on. He's always hurt, his arm isn't up to snuff, he doesn't have the size you want to see, and he kind of dropped off this year.

Tyler Wilson is not someone you draft in the first round, either. Dude's had 3 concussions already AND he's undersized for the type of QB he is. That one has failure written all over it.

Glennon and Bray have the most potential, but neither have really shown enough for a team to put any stock in them reaching their potential.

Geno has produced in multiple offenses in multiple conferences. The system he played in isn't a negative. Especially not when most teams in the NFL are adopting most of the concepts of that offense.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Barkley got hurt and in stepped a redshirt freshmen to replace him. There were no similar circumstances with Geno Smith at WVU to support your argument. So is there something else that makes Barkley a better fit for KC?
Yeah, I can go on. Feel free support your claims for Geno as well. So far, his favorite defenses all draw down to everyone else not being the guy. Nobody likes saying he is the guy because he can do this and that.

I fully believe Barkley's game is tailor made for Andy Reid's WCO based system. He's been doing it for so long, playing for Reid would be like going to Football Graduate School for him. ...and trust me.... Kiffin's Flex WCO is sooo inferior compared to Reid's it ain't even funny. The job Kiffin is doing at USC... I mean just watch it... the plays, playcalling and product he puts out there is just yuck. He's lucky he has had talent and lucky that he's a good recruiter cause he's a bad coach.

Geno will have a much more raw start in that system. Heck, it might start as basic as taking the ball from underneath center. He already rattles under pressure... and doesn't have the frame to take the punishment either, btw... but if he has to think about his footwork instead of thinking about what's going on the field... it's gonna be tough sledding.

Barkley isn't without flaws, but the main flaw is arm strength and that is a quality that is the easiest thing a QB can fix. Plus, anyone who cared to notice knew that Barkley's arm was stronger this season. Up until this season, Barkley actually showed great improvement year to year, which was a strong trait scouts admired. I feel like he's gotten that classic "overanalyzed senior prospect" thing going against him. Obviously USC as a whole failed to live up to expectations which is another knock against him, but that should be a story more about the team than Barkley as a prospect.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

wait. Arm strength is the easiest flaw a QB can fix? Seriously?
Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
USC really wasn't that much worse without Barkley. But that's more a statement of USC's ability to recruit and develop QBs..

Geno has produced in multiple offenses in multiple conferences. The system he played in isn't a negative. Especially not when most teams in the NFL are adopting most of the concepts of that offense.
Maybe you didn't see the Bowl game. That's all I can say about your first comment.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't fix arm strength. And if you don't have arm strength you're not an NFL qb.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the main flaw is arm strength and that is a quality that is the easiest thing a QB can fix.
D-Unit pls
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
You can't fix arm strength. And if you don't have arm strength you're not an NFL qb.
Barley's arm strength is right there with Andy Dalton's.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The best pick for you guys is Matt Barkley.

If you're going to fight the fight for QB. You might as well fight for the right guy.
There is absolutely no part of me that thinks Matt Barkley is going to be abything more than an average QB in the NFL. He may be safe, but his ceiling is low.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
wait. Arm strength is the easiest flaw a QB can fix? Seriously?
Easier than character, accuracy, throwing motion, smarts, footwork, mobility, athleticism, height, and speed... yes.

Oh but wait.. if you're counting hair color and diet, yes those might be easier to fix.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Barley's arm strength is right there with Andy Dalton's.
Exactly. Andy Dalton isn't very good.