Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 AM    (permalink
StudentBodyLeft
Rookie

StudentBodyLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Marqise Lee = Dez Bryant

without the issues but just 2 inches shorter at 6'0.

Lost in the shuffle of USC's loss to Arizona this weekend was perhaps the greatest receiving performance in CFB history.

16 receptions 345 yards 2 TDs.

PROS:
-Run after catch ability is off the charts. Might not be a 4.3 guy, but his football speed and acceleration in the first two steps are what make him special.

-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average. Made NCAAs in track and field in the long jump.

CONS:
-Can have suspect hands at times. Drops easy passes in between making great catches.

-Height isn't ideal at 6'0 but has a long limbs that can still add more weight to an already compact frame.

In summary, while Robert Woods has received high praise, there's a reason why Lane Kiffin thinks Lee could be the best USC receiver of all time.
StudentBodyLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentBodyLeft View Post
without the issues but just 2 inches shorter at 6'0.

Lost in the shuffle of USC's loss to Arizona this weekend was perhaps the greatest receiving performance in CFB history.

16 receptions 345 yards 2 TDs.

PROS:
-Run after catch ability is off the charts. Might not be a 4.3 guy, but his football speed and acceleration in the first two steps are what make him special.

-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average. Made NCAAs in track and field in the long jump.

CONS:
-Can have suspect hands at times. Drops easy passes in between making great catches.

-Height isn't ideal at 6'0 but has a long limbs that can still add more weight to an already compact frame.

In summary, while Robert Woods has received high praise, there's a reason why Lane Kiffin thinks Lee could be the best USC receiver of all time.
You didn't mention the single most important aspect to a receiver's game: how are his routes?
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you do a comparison between Dez and anybody you have to mention off the field trouble. Lee is clean.

Also, Lee reminds me more of a shorter T.O. than Dez Bryant in terms of ability. Lee is so strong after the catch, and he throws corners regularly.

"-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average."

-This is an understatement. Lee's best ability is jumping on the run and adjusting to the ball like a basketball player and keep running.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
You didn't mention the single most important aspect to a receiver's game: how are his routes?
Unless you have access to USC film, it's really hard to judge routes, because only the good routes get shown on TV, generally.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
StudentBodyLeft
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
If you do a comparison between Dez and anybody you have to mention off the field trouble. Lee is clean.

Also, Lee reminds me more of a shorter T.O. than Dez Bryant in terms of ability. Lee is so strong after the catch, and he throws corners regularly.

"-Jumpball and leaping ability is well above average."

-This is an understatement. Lee's best ability is jumping on the run and adjusting to the ball like a basketball player and keep running.
Did you see my first comment saying he's Dez Bryant without the issues?

Also, comparing Lee to T.O. essentially amounts to the same thing as comparing him to Dez Bryant, as Bryant was compared to T.O. coming out. All three have similar playing styles.

And yes, I agree that I shouldn't have been as conservative about the jumpball comment. But I actually think his best attribute is really RAC. He's the closest thing that USC has had to Reggie Bush lately when the ball is in his hands. Elusive, yet fluid acceleration is the only way I can describe his running style.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if the Sammy Watkins/Marqise Lee combo in 2014 will end up being better than the AJ Green/Julio Jones combo of 2011.

In regards to the OP, it's hard to get a good comparison on Lee. Not many top WR prospects are only 6'0" tall and I don't think we've seen one that short go top 5 in like forever - but he certainly should be the next (same with Watkins, who is only 6'1").
Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
In regards to the OP, it's hard to get a good comparison on Lee. Not many top WR prospects are only 6'0" tall and I don't think we've seen one that short go top 5 in like forever - but he certainly should be the next (same with Watkins, who is only 6'1").
How about Torry Holt - both as a comparison for Lee and someone that size who went that early (he went 6th, technically not top 5 but still).
Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marqise Lee = Marqise Lee

Comparisons between players suck cause there are always differences.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marquise is a helluva player, extremely physical and when he gets the ball in his hands there are few players who are as dynamic. You wanna get out of your seat everytime he gets his hand on it. He is only 6'0" which isnt typical of big time receiving prospects but teams will be drooling over him come draft time next year.

Will be interesting to see how he does next season with a new QB under center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
How about Torry Holt - both as a comparison for Lee and someone that size who went that early (he went 6th, technically not top 5 but still).
I could see that. Holt was the best receiver in the NFL for like 2 years about a decade ago (geez has it really been that long?)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marqise Lee = Jeremy Maclin? Part of me really wants to throw out a Michael Crabtree comparison.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 10-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Unless you have access to USC film, it's really hard to judge routes, because only the good routes get shown on TV, generally.
True enough. Good point.

I get tickled when people call receivers around 6', 6'1 "average" height. Let's not forget the 6'3, 6'4 230 pound receivers are exceptions to the rule, true anomalies.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's one of the most important aspects of a pro receiver's game, but I don't know why people place such an emphasis on it for college receivers. If he has the tools to run a crisp route, you can coach him up.

Lee seems to be pretty awesome, but I don't know about the Dez Bryant comparison. Maybe a rich man's Chris Chambers?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I get tickled when people call receivers around 6', 6'1 "average" height. Let's not forget the 6'3, 6'4 230 pound receivers are exceptions to the rule, true anomalies.
I don't think people are saying that 6'-6'1 is considered average height for receivers, but that to be considered a top 5 pick at WR, teams are looking for those 6'2+ WR's who, as you put it, are the exceptions.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So you're saying that most guys in the NFL at WR are around the 6'-6'1 range? Isn't that... the definition of average?

It tickles me more when people take "average" with a negative connotation, or to mean BAD.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Maclin comp more than Bryant.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the story with Farmer? He barely plays and he was supposedly the best pro prospect of those 3 WR's coming out of Serra HS.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
What's the story with Farmer? He barely plays and he was supposedly the best pro prospect of those 3 WR's coming out of Serra HS.
Had tons of hamstring problems since he got there but has caught on a little bit lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.

How can you compare Marqise Lee to Dez Bryant????????? Marqise Lee is almost 30 pounds lighter than him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you wanna compare him to anyone in the NFL right now thats playing at a high level I think you would have to say Victor Cruz or maybe Antonio Bryant. Dez Bryant is a completely different type of player. C'mon MANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSwag View Post
If you wanna compare him to anyone in the NFL right now thats playing at a high level I think you would have to say Victor Cruz or maybe Antonio Bryant.
Huh. Antonio Bryant's been out of the league for a few years now.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM    (permalink
DraftSwag
Rookie

DraftSwag needs more cowbell.

My bad Antonio Brown. But Antonio Bryant was a beast too. LOL
DraftSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM    (permalink
StudentBodyLeft
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSwag View Post
How can you compare Marqise Lee to Dez Bryant????????? Marqise Lee is almost 30 pounds lighter than him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you wanna compare him to anyone in the NFL right now thats playing at a high level I think you would have to say Victor Cruz or maybe Antonio Bryant. Dez Bryant is a completely different type of player. C'mon MANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Lee is smaller than Bryant. I think we've already established that. But they do play with similar styles.

Lee plays big for his size. You also need to consider the fact that he has the frame to pack on more muscle. And he will.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of the Cruz comparison. Antonio brown is a good comparison though, smaller WR who runs good routes. He is way too small to be considered to be like Dez.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote