Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Underrated / Overrated Thread

This list is passed more so off of Scott's most recent mock and players being slotted, or missing, from the first round, or could at least be in the conversation to be higher end picks.

Overrated

1. Matt Barkley

- I know there's a lengthy thread already with concerns about Barkley and him being a high selection so I'll just add to the pile. He's a good quarterback prospect, don't get me wrong, but 1st overall?! If I'm taking a quarterback first overall I need to see a special quality in his game, at least somewhere, and with Barkley it's all good but nothing really great.

2. Taylor Lewan

- I see Lewan and I get the feeling he's more of a Nate Solder type prospect, who wows people with his physical stature and ability to move, but his game doesn't match what you'd expect to see. I also can't get the image of a poor performance against Alabama out of my head.

3. David Amerson

- David Amerson proved in the Tennessee opener that he's not a guy who translates to being a corner in the NFL. Playing against the U further validated the suspicions about his game, and if he's going to find a spot after school it'll have to be at first safety. A first round investment in him would be a big time roll of the dice hoping he'd be able to make the transition and do it at a high level.

4. Eric Reid

- When I watch Eric Reid I see a player whose game translates as a strong safety, and with as many guys as there are who can fill that niche in the later rounds, spending a first round pick on a guy with the skill set for that position just doesn't seem worth it. He plays his role very well, just don't see strong safety as a position that should go in round one.

5. Michael Buchanan

- I'll admit that I like Buchanan and his game heading into the season and even a few weeks in, but the more I see of the Illini and Buchanan specifically, the less and less I get excited about what he brings to the football field. He has terrific length and athleticism for his size, but he doesn't possess a great assortment of pass rushing moves and thanks to the Illini defense it's difficult to tell if he'd be able to transition to playing as a 3-4 OLB. I see a little Corey Wootton to his game.

Underrated

1. Chase Thomas

- Chase Thomas has been a beast so far for the Stanford defense. A player who does a great job of setting the edge defensively and shown improvement with his pass rushing skills, he's a guy that deserves consideration in the first round. I feel once he reaches the NFL he'll be able to add a little more power to his game, and he's got the athleticism, which I feel is underrated with him as well.

2. Dion Jordan

- Seeing the thread on Dion Jordan motivated me partially to make this one. A physical freak at 6-7, Jordan has shown he's comfortable defending the pass and moving on to the NFL as a 3-4 OLB shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. He needs to add strength to his game, and I don't think we have seen what he's fully capable of as a pass rusher because Oregon doesn't necessarily utilize him in that role as much as one might expect.

3. Jordan Poyer

- Poyer may very well be one of my three or four favorite prospects in this entire draft. The main catalyst to why Oregon State has had so much unexpected success this season and the leader of the defense, he's got good size and speed combination for the next level, his hips aren't a hindrance to his game, and he can play both man and zone coverage.

4. Barrett Jones

- Jones was voted as the nation's top linemen last season for a reason. His entire time at Alabama he has shown versatility and has thrived at each position along the line that Saban and Co. have asked him to play. He may not wow anyone with any of his physical measurables but he proved to be as solid and sure a lineman as you'll find in college football.

5. Tavon Austin

- Austin may not be built like Percy Harvin and play as physical as he does so I'll stay away from that comparison, but I don't mind comparing him to Antonio Brown. Brown was a player I loved at Central Michigan (thanks Dan LeFevour) and I see many similarities between the two thanks to their ability to create problems with their speed.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually agree with almost all the names. A few more names to throw into the discussion. Focusing more on early round guys atm.

Overrated:

Sam Montgomery - Seems stiff, hate his stance, not a real edge threat as a pass rusher and not a really threat with his power either. I haven't really seen anyone who really likes this guy yet he seems to continually be ranked very highly. I think he gets lost in the shuffle among all these pass rushers and ends up somewhere in round 2.

Kawann Short - never really flashed for me. Kinda reminds me of a bigger Brian Price without the first step. Has better finesse as a pass rusher than you might expect from a guy with his build but he's not the force vs. the run he should be.

Underrated

Tyler Wilson - I still think he's the best QB in college football and the best QB in this draft. Very talented passer with an excellent arm who isn't afraid to throw to any part of the field. Underrated athlete and moves around very well. Love his fearlessness. Makes big time throws while being hit well as any I've watched it college. Has a little too much faith in his arm sometimes and might need a coach to reel him in a but the talent is undeniable. He has the intelligence and leadership to back it up as well. If I was Jax or KC picking #1 overall, I would be happy to get Wilson.

Tank Carradine - prototype build, long arms, very strong, highly productive with a great motor. If he tests as well as expected it won't surprise me one bit to see him go before Werner and end up as a top 15 pick.

Kevin Minter - a bit of a growing buzz about him but still haven't seen him in the first round discussions like he should be. Reminds me of a bigger, stronger, more physical Bruce Carter.

Xavier Rhodes - Views as a first round talent but generally ranked behind Milliner and Banks and sometimes Amerson. Personally, I think he very well may be the only DB in this draft to warrant a top 10 selection (40 time will be key for him). He's taken his game to the next level this year. His change of direction and ball skills are super impressive for a guy as big as he is.

Last edited by TACKLE : 11-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Five for each:

Overrated:

QB Tyler Bray, Tennessee*

Bray's character recalls Matt Leinart, and his footwork/mechanics need a lot of work as well. I have serious concerns regarding his ability to win over a locker room.

QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Eight of Wilson's touchdowns this season were against Jacksonville State and Kentucky; he has an 8:7 TD:INT ratio aside from that, and Arkansas hasn't beat a quality team.

OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

Warmack is the top guard in this year's draft but doesn't deserve the top-ten hype he's been getting in some places; David DeCastro was a superior prospect.

DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio St.*

Hankins is better than Dontari Poe, but he is not a disruptive pass rusher; I would have serious reservations about drafting a run stuffer high in a pass-happy league.

DE Sam Montgomery, Louisiana St.*

Barkevious Mingo is a far more explosive player than his teammate Sam Montgomery; the latter has just four sacks through eight games but is considered an elite edge rusher.

Underrated:

QB Aaron Murray, Georgia*

Murray has excellent footwork, excellent mechanics, a quick release, and a strong arm. He must become more consistent but looks like a future starting quarterback at the next level.

WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas

Hamilton is tall with a muscular build; he has the speed to get open downfield and is a very physical runner with the ball in his hands. He's been extremely productive this year.

OT Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin

Wagner is fundamentally sound, with extensive starting experience, prototypical size, and an excellent pedigree; his lack of elite athleticism has torpedoed his stock.

DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist

Hunt is one of the best special teams players in college football history, having blocked 17 career kicks; his defensive production has increased as well (five sacks in eight games.)

FS Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma*

Jefferson plays all over the place at Oklahoma: as a deep free safety, in man coverage on tight ends and slot receivers, and as an in-the-box strong safety.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overrated

QB Geno Smith, WVU

Received a ton of hype over the first month of the season, plays in a proven offensive system that has produced a ton of system QBs. His huge first month came against some of the worst defenses in CFB. Has two play making receiving options that rack up a ton of YAC on short crossing patterns and screens inflating Smith's stats. Once he faced Texas Tech and Kansas State his production dropped off significantly. His sideline composure during those losses also shows he has some maturing to do. Will get compared to Newton and Griffin for the obvious reason but his skill set is not the same.

Underrated

OL Barrett Jones, Alabama

Really solid player, team leader, intelligent and has all the intangibles as well as good physical measurables. Has played all over Alabama's offensive line at a high level verse SEC defenses. His versatility will be appealing to alot of teams come draft time.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Cbrunn
Rookie

Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Underrated

S Shamarko Thomas Syracuse

maybe not a 1st or 2nd round guy ... but somebody I feel that could go mid rounds that can produce in the NFL ... in his career at Syracuse he played everything from LB, CB, S ... and is a great athlete and big hitter
Cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote