Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Armchair Scout
Rookie

Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Colin Kaepernick

With Kaepernick leading the 49ers to a win over the Bears in his first NFL start, I am interested to hear people's thoughts on his future.

I have been high on Kaepernick ever since I saw him in Nevada. He has a rocket arm and a high, quick release and great accuracy on short and intermediate throws. He has good footwork and was clearly well prepared for the west coast offense by his time in Nevada.

Kaepernick's biggest weakness my be his lack of touch. He doesn't always put enough air under his downfield throws and should show better anticipation on those throws. He sometimes needs to show more faith in his receiver's abilities to make plays on the ball. That said, in college he wasn't called on to throw tons of fade routes, unlike most college QBs.

When it comes to underneath throws, however, Kaepernick is outstanding. His footwork, quick release, and arm strength allow him to throw out routes with great accuracy, and he shows nice accuracy, zip, and ball placement on slants and other in-breaking routes.

Kaepernick also has excellent mobility. He is very good at throwing on the run and has the ability to scramble if left unaccounted for by the defense. His scrambling ability allows him to run bootlegs and zone-reads with success.

Kaepernick has so far shown good leadership and command of his team's offense in his career so far, both in college and the NFL. Today he had a few nice audibles to hot routes on 3rd down against the Bears and he looked very comfortable against the pressure brought by the Bears. He maintained an outstanding stats line even though he passed in some unfavorable down-and-distances.

That said, SF's excellent game-plan made it a little easy for Kaepernick today. When he does eventually become a full-time starter (which is practically a guarantee for a player of his talent and clear motivation), he will experience teams that force him to make more difficult sideline and downfield throws, and teams that show him different coverage looks. Chicago might have had more success defending SF's passing offense if they blitzed less, as their blitz didn't faze Kaepernick and he was able to deliver strikes on slant routes over the middle repeatedly against Chicago's pressure.
Armchair Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is on pace to finish his career undefeated as a starter.
the_legend_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the Kaepernick train is leaving the station. All aboard.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greatest QB in the history of the NFL

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And here come the bandwagon people to the 49ers. It was a great game for CK but again the bears defense played horribly bad and so did there o line. Any ways I hope he stays around until Smith leaves if he does his future looks bright and big in SF. It could be a Rodgers type of back up role IMO.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's better than Alex Smith, but isn't everybody?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This should be a fun week on DC for sure.

Onto CK I thought he displayed exceptional poise and leadership out there, he took control of the team and looked really comfortable in doing so. He's got a cannon but he put some nice touch on most of his throws, and that line gives him an island to throw on every time. This the guy Harbaugh traded up for and his guy, so I think he wants to give him the chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never understood why Locker was considered a high/mid-first rounder and Kaep was considered a 2nd-rounder.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also am surprised Harbaugh pretty much bailed on Alex Smith that fast in the presser. So much for job security.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I also am surprised Harbaugh pretty much bailed on Alex Smith that fast in the presser. So much for job security.
IMO I think it is a bluff for next weeks game for the saints on who to prepare for . Smith will start for sure .
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
IMO I think it is a bluff for next weeks game for the saints on who to prepare for . Smith will start for sure .
That's true, not like he would want to play his hand. But the chances of Alex Smith being healthy are very high since he almost played tonight. And when asked "whenever Alex Smith is healthy is he your starting QB" the best he can do is "we'll evaluate that going forward" means to me it's CK going forward. Either way I was still surprised by the answer regardless of what he means but I don't blame him.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Armchair Scout
Rookie

Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I must say, I liked Kaepernick on draft day as much as I do now. I rated him significantly better than Christian Ponder and Jake Locker.

I realize my post was interpreted by some as hyping Kaepernick up excessively, but I must say I don't see which of points could be overboard. Kapernick isn't perfect; he needs to improve his touch passing and his ability to progress to secondary options while still in the pocket, but he is a very promising young QB.
Armchair Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
Matt Cassel's mom thinks so. (but she's wrong)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nope. They aren't.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Pretty much this.

But Colin could make this team a legitimate superbowl threat... probably not this year, but this is a NICE development for them. The rich get richer.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Greatest QB in the history of the NFL
He did ok but is he a top 20 QB in the NFL like Shaun Hill?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
If Alex Smith thought he had job security, he's a moron. The 49ers invested a second round pick in Kaepernick and flirted with Peyton Manning in consecutive offseasons.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If Alex Smith thought he had job security, he's a moron. The 49ers invested a second round pick in Kaepernick and flirted with Peyton Manning in consecutive offseasons.
They also gave Smith a contract in consecutive seasons. NO player on the 49ers should have "job security." Competition breeds greatness.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Nope. They aren't.
Fact: Today confirmed that 2 former 2005 first round QB's suck.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
They also gave Smith a contract in consecutive seasons. NO player on the 49ers should have "job security." Competition breeds greatness.
If you sign a QB to two contracts in consecutive seasons, and those contracts combine for a total of four seasons, you're basically giving him a vote of no-confidence.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If you sign a QB to two contracts in consecutive seasons, and those contracts combine for a total of four seasons, you're basically giving him a vote of no-confidence.
Or letting him walk when he was a Free Agent because you just drafted "your-guy" is a vote of no-confidence.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Fact: Today confirmed that 2 former 2005 first round QB's suck.
Nope. That's your opinion. Fact.

Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Nope. That's your opinion. Fact.
I'm not sure I see the difference.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't buy that CK performed well tonight against a defense that played poorly.
The Bears D got outplayed by a 2nd year QB, they aren't a bad defense.
True they may not have gameplanned to stop CK specifically but Kaepernick deserves all his kudos for how he performed tonight.

I doubt Alex Smith leads the 49ers to a 32-7 win over Chicago.

All CK needs is playing time. I wonder if Harbaugh gives it to him this season??
Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread is going exactly the way I imagined it going.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote