Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 03-09-2013, 12:29 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OL
Sebastian Vollmer
Louis Vasquez
Andy Levitre
Eric Winston
Gosder Cherilus
Donald Thomas
Brandon Moore

DL
Richard Seymour
Mike DeVito
Glenn Dorsey (run support)
Jason Jones
Arthur Jones (RFA)
Desmond Bryant
Sammie Lee Hill
Antonio Garay (if he's cut)

OLB
Paul Kruger
Connor Barwin
Shaun Phillips
Victor Butler

CB
Sean Smith
Keenan Lewis
Chris Houston
Cary Williams
Chris Gamble
Brent Grimes

S
Glover Quinn
Dashon Goldson
William Moore
LaRon Landry
Dawan Landry
Louis Delmas
Patrick Chung
Adrian Wilson

My additions are italicized and in bold. I'm very excited for next week.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh I forgot Mike Jenkins! Remember him? The Cowboys corner Grigson wanted to trade for, but Jerruh was being stubborn about it for some reason? He's a FA this year and pretty much forgotten about. Which means he should be cheap.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Oh I forgot Mike Jenkins! Remember him? The Cowboys corner Grigson wanted to trade for, but Jerruh was being stubborn about it for some reason? He's a FA this year and pretty much forgotten about. Which means he should be cheap.
Yeah I read that recently as well. Looks like the Cowboys have no interest in resigning him. I just wonder why.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
Yeah I read that recently as well. Looks like the Cowboys have no interest in resigning him. I just wonder why.
Dunno, but nothing JJ does would dissuade me from a player. He might not be worth a contract but I'll leave that up to Grigson. I wonder who he and his team will be talking to this weekend (other than Vasquez, who they've apparently already talked to...)

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Kruger a lot, but I don't want to break the bank for him. I would much rather see us draft a pass rusher. Looks like we are in a bidding war. I kinda hope we lose.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...am-bidding-war

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'd have a tough time going above 9m for Kruger. 12m is Demarcus Ware territory, and he's not that.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plus I'm a little wary of guys who had a big breakout year during their contract season.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Well I keep hearing that he would be pulled out of the game in favor of Courtney Upshaw in running downs. I guess I want more of an athletic pass rusher from the draft than overpaying Kruger to be a liability in the run.

How much of the cap do we need to spend? Is it at all likely that we are saving cap for when Luck's contract comes?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Also, I would just like to say. Thank the lord for Grigson.

I really like that he is aggressive to make the team competitive.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Some news...

Quote:
The Indianapolis Colts resigned exclusive rights free-agent DL Martin Tevaseu and OL Joe Reitz. Tevaseu signed a one-year, $555,000 deal, and Reitz signed a one-year, $620,000 deal.
Not exciting, but good signings IMO. It tells us a few things. Reitz, a starter last year is on a low-level prove it deal. He's not expected to start and they're just seeing if he can stay healthy as a backup. If he can, he will provide great depth.

Tevaseu will probably compete with other low-level FA NTs in camp. I doubt we keep Mookie Johnson with McKinney and Chapman coming back from injury.

Also I saw that the team isn't tendering Seth Olsen. Now all we have to do is cut Mike McGlynn and the new-look OL will really be underway.

I agree with you guys, I don't want to overpay Kruger or Avril, neither are going to be dominant #1 pass rushers. I'd rather sign Victor Butler and then draft a pass rusher. My favorite prospects at OLB right now are Tank Carradine, Damontre Moore, Alex Okafor, Jamie Collins, and Brandon Jenkins.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How much of the cap do we need to spend? Is it at all likely that we are saving cap for when Luck's contract comes?
There's a salary floor of 88.8% this year, 90% in future years. So if the salary cap is 123m, the salary floor is 109m. That means the Colt's will be penalized if they don't spend ~30m. I believe the penalty is that every dollar under is distributed to the players on the roster.

If they just don't like FA this year, they could do a long-term deal for Davis. They would have the option of front-loading it, to get to the salary floor this year. Then in the later years of the contract he's cheap. Players may take advantage of that by holding out once they've received the bulk of their contract. I wouldn't be against doing a long-term deal for Luck. 9 years, 100m or something, but that would be very unusual.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think we had a very strong start to free agency with the signings of Cherilus,Thomas,Toler,Sidbury ,and Walden. Still would like to see a Safety picked up as well but very happy with what we have signed so far.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Also, I would just like to say. Thank the lord for Grigson.

I really like that he is aggressive to make the team competitive.
Grigson is the FN man!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Butler was resigned to a two year deal. Like the signings of Cherilus,Thomas and Toler. Toler should give us adequate cb2 or at worst a nickle guy. Cherilus can start at RT and Thomas should compete for our LG spot and should win the job. Based off what we saw today, I think the priorities in the draft go like this - RG, Safety to replace Zibs, and OLB. I have little faith in Walden being anything terrific. More like Jerrry Hughes ineptness. I kinda wonder if WR doesn't go further up list of possibilities in the draft?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
Butler was resigned to a two year deal. Like the signings of Cherilus,Thomas and Toler. Toler should give us adequate cb2 or at worst a nickle guy. Cherilus can start at RT and Thomas should compete for our LG spot and should win the job. Based off what we saw today, I think the priorities in the draft go like this - RG, Safety to replace Zibs, and OLB. I have little faith in Walden being anything terrific. More like Jerrry Hughes ineptness. I kinda wonder if WR doesn't go further up list of possibilities in the draft?
RG,SS, and OLB are pretty much locks for the draft. If the right guy is there I can see the Colts taking a WR 1st round. If not early on I expect them two take two WRs at some point in the draft.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the Walden deal at all. I guess they see potential there.

All the others are ok signings. No huge difference-makers, but we might have plugged a couple of holes.

Meh.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
Yeah I think having another pass rusher is good, but I still don't think we have a starter on the roster at that spot. I don't know too much about Toler, but I am not sure I would be okay with him playing CB2. I would rather have him for the slot.

I agree with the needs. I think it goes. OLB, RG, S, CB, WR. Grigson leans towards BPA so I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR selected and I wouldn't mind it too much either. I'm curious to see wether Avery is resigned.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:

Last edited by RCAChainGang : 03-13-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

I read that GMs associated with Walden previously went after him as well (the Raiders GM was previously with the Packers). Maybe he'll be a rotational guy with Hughes. I've heard Walden is a better run-stopper, which is where Hughes really struggles. Hopefully the $16m is smoke and mirrors, and its incentivized/no guaranteed money.

It seems their plan has been to find role-players as opposed to game changers. I tend to think we have a few game changers already, but its the holes we need filled. For example the defense can just avoid Davis because of Vaughn.

Apparently Laron Landry & Ricky Jean-Francois are expected to meet with the team tonight/tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about Bethea, and wondering if we should be focusing on a FS more than a SS.

There was talk that the Colts were interested in Avril. Not sure what Walden does for that.

As far as needs, we need a WR, S, G, OLB.

With Butler & Toler in, I don't expect we'll bring in another CB, unless he's cheap or later in the draft.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 03-13-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Interesting read.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...4-69c2ea42e15c

Quote:
Ryan Grigson, in his 15th year of personnel evaluation, knew that. When he said at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday that his team was better than when the day started, he meant it.

“I feel like anybody I go after and sign in free agency or take in the draft has expectations of coming in a being a starter,” said Grigson. “We don’t draft backups and we don’t go after guys in free agency who we don’t think aren’t starting material. We see them making a difference for us.

“(We’re better), without a doubt, definitely.”

The Colts reached contract agreements with five players – offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, defensive end Lawrence Sidbury, linebacker Erik Walden, offensive guard Donald Thomas and linebacker Greg Toler.

Cherilus has been a mainstay at right tackle for Detroit and could bookend Anthony Castonzo in Indianapolis. If so, it will match Boston College tackles for the Colts.

Walden has started the last two seasons in Green Bay. The Colts are looking for players to help compensate for the loss of Dwight Freeney, the club’s all-time sack leader who departed on Tuesday.

Freeney was a special talent, and Grigson sees competition forming to address the matter of who will play in his place.

“At some point, that’s what the OTAs are for. That’s what training camp is for,” said Grigson. “We’re creating an atmosphere of competitiveness. That’s Chuck’s M.O. The true football players, the true champions and winners, they crave that, they want that. They’re going to compete.”

Thomas is a versatile performer who can snap and play both guard positions. Toler is an athletic presence who will lend cover ability. A cornerback tandem of Toler and Vontae Davis is a possibility. Sidbury will work in a 3-4 scheme for the first time in his career, and Grigson sees the fifth-year pro as a good fit that can make the transition.

The purpose of free agency is to build a team. Observers sometimes can get caught up in the sizzle of big names rather than focusing on substance that can bolster a franchise.

Grigson is not allergic to sizzle, but he is a master at applying elbow grease when it comes to unearthing talent. He will use all means at his disposal.

“We’re going to grind the tape, and we have the draft as well. We have two avenues to acquire talent,” said Grigson. “I’m not a person who likes to put all my eggs in one basket. I feel like if I can get good players instead of putting all my eggs in one basket, it makes good common sense to try to help the team in a balanced sort of way, not just going for broke with one guy.

“We really want good fits. There’s a reason for these guys because they fit in so many ways. I wanted to spend (Jim Irsay’s) money…wisely.”

Grigson covered a lot of ground to get the five players within 90 minutes of the start of free agency. It is a passion, not just a profession.

“It’s hectic, but exciting and filled with adrenaline,” said Grigson. “I’m still having fun. In the midst of this whole thing if you’re not having fun and you’re ready to jump off a cliff, then you probably shouldn’t be doing this job.

“I feel like I was ready, and Chuck (Pagano) was ready. (Our guys) did an exceptional job. I feel absolutely fantastic. I feel great about today. I feel we got better.”

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 AM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least we avoided the mega bucks deals. I'm sure outsiders will look at some of the numbers and think a few were overkill. We got at minimum two upgrades for the o-line and basically a starter cb2/nickel guy.

Bethea did have an up and down year with missed tackles. Suspect we mirror what we did last year with the TE spot and double up on safeties this draft? What if we got Elam or Jonathan Cyprien early with our first and then Shamarko Thomas later on. Pags has no allegiance to Bethe and they're only looking to get players they want.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Don't think we need to replace him. More of what is he best suited to do and what type of player would best compliment him.

And yeah, we did go with the lower-risk signings. If Walden doesn't pan out and is released, its not an enormous cap hit compared to Wallace or Kruger. Cherilus only got $10m guaranteed on a $35m deal. I assume Walden's guarantee is $4m or below.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Ricky Jean-Francois would be a run-stuffing DE?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

I'm not quite sure. I've read he's a capable pass-rusher. He's listed as 6'3" 295, but is listed as a NT, which for a 3-4 is obviously too small. From what I've read, he was essentially the 4th D-linemen on SF, rotating in for nickel & injuries.

Grigson comments on our signings:

Cherilus

Sidbury

Walden

Thomas

Toler
Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I'm happy enough with Cherilous, Toler, and Thomas. All three should start and will be better than the guy playing the same spot last year. Toler and Thomas especially will make Grigson look smart, I think.

I am sorely disappointed that we whiffed on Vasquez. I thought we had him for sure. Going from SD to Denver, and not signing for THAT much money, I wonder if it just came down to him not wanting to play for the Colts. I'm not sad we passed on Levitre. He got PAID.

Sidbury seems like a developmental guy, maybe a future situational pass rusher and a special teams guy. I don't understand him being a priority, but I doubt he got much money.

Walden getting $4 million guaranteed and 4/$16 is pathetic. I mean a really dumb move. Not impressed with that at all. He offers nothing as a pass rusher. So he's a situational run stuffer. Great, yeah, let's skip guys like Barnes, Butler, and Barwin so we can overpay a situational run stuffer that made $700,000 last year. Awful.

I am still hoping for a SS, DE, OG, CB, and still possibly Cliff Avril at a good price. I don't think we are done just because the first 24 hrs has almost passed. I am not thrilled like I expected to be, but I'm not disappointed. Except for the Walden deal. Ugh.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Butterfingers signed with the Chiefs today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...0311--nfl.html