Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, so is that it?
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

unless they front-loaded the contracts, they've still got ~$10m to spend to hit the salary floor (the floor, not the cap). Rookies won't get them there, resigning Davis would if they want to do that. So there's probably 2-3 more FAs incoming.

edit: There's not a lot left as far as guards go (at least players I've heard of). There's still some safeties available, cornerbacks, Avril, if no one offers Andre Smith RT money (I heard he wanted $9m a year) maybe we could make him a home at guard. Bengals have a ton to spend, so I assume they'll give him RT money once no one offers him LT money. Greg Jennings is around, but its starting to get thin for players most of us have heard of.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 03-13-2013 at 04:42 PM.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LaRon Landry sign with the colts for 4 years. What do you guys think? I don't know too much about his play.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Significant improvement over what we had at that position last year. Good signing.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

With that signing our remaining needs are imo:

1. OLB - another pass-rusher is still a need, even if you are a believer in Walden
2. OG - We can't be satisfied with what we have. Thomas/Reitz combo is still average at best, even if it's an improvement from last year.
3. DE - Maybe Ricky Jean Francois will be the answer. I want a guy who can pass rush also, but 3-4 pass-rushing DEs are rare.
4. WR - It doesn't need to be a star, but I think we do need to add a decent target, preferably with deep speed.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
With that signing our remaining needs are imo:

1. OLB - another pass-rusher is still a need, even if you are a believer in Walden
2. OG - We can't be satisfied with what we have. Thomas/Reitz combo is still average at best, even if it's an improvement from last year.
3. DE - Maybe Ricky Jean Francois will be the answer. I want a guy who can pass rush also, but 3-4 pass-rushing DEs are rare.
4. WR - It doesn't need to be a star, but I think we do need to add a decent target, preferably with deep speed.
I agree. OLB has to be the top need because we need someone to start developing as a potential starter. I don't see one on the roster at this point.

I would also add CB to the list of needs. Although, I'm not sure Grigson has it as a need. He probably is fine with Davis/Toler/Vaughn/Butler, but I would like to add another CB preferably through the draft.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Another need might actually be a backup QB. Personally, I like Harnish, he has ability, but they might want to go with a vet.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling we're not going to bring in a free agent OLB. We brought in 2 already, and have Hughes as well. I could see us drafting a young guy but a 3rd olb would be a bit much.

I'd also put WR higher on that list. If Wayne or Hilton get injured, the cupboard is pretty bare.

For Landry, he looks like a bigger Bob Sanders, but 4 inches taller & 20 pounds heavier. Probably not as good in coverage, but if you need a running back leveled, he's your guy. He's got a nice highlight video on youtube.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 03-13-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like the signing of Landry. He should bring some pop that we've lacked since Bobzilla.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Signing Landry makes up for Walden some and makes this FA period successful IMO. If we get RJF, all the better.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

This is likely to just frustrate us all, but falloutboy14 did a stellar job in free agency in the mock offseason.

OT Jeff Linkenbach
OL Joe Reitz
DB Cassius Vaughn
OG Louis Vasquez
DL Arthur Jones
DL Fili Moala
LB Paul Kruger
CB Aqib Talib
S Glover Quin
OT/OG Doug Free
CB Justin Tryon
RB Danny Woodhead

Draft
1(24) - LB Arthur Brown
3(86) - OT Oday Aboushi
4(121) - WR Aaron Dobson
6(193) - FS Josh Evans
And we got screwed out of our 7th.

( I helped a little )

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

That draft would work.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Also got Butler & Avery in the post-draft FA.

Back to real world colts, I'm pretty pleased with our FA haul. Our major deficiencies were addressed. The long list of we needs we had at the start of FA is down to looking for depth & competition for players we're ok with. Last off-season was spent gathering cast-offs so we could field a team. This off-season was spent getting NFL starter quality players into the holes we attempted to fill last year.

I'm as confused with everyone on Walden, but one thing to keep in mind is that Grig/Pag targeted/wanted him. He's not a guy we went after when the top guys were gone. So the Colts don't view him as a jag, even if we/posters here do.

Something I've been thinking about is what do we do with Bethea. This upcoming year is his contract year. He'll turn 29 over the summer and hasn't been the same player imo since the last few years. I'm willing to give him a pass of sorts as the last two years have been pretty rocky. But with most of our needs covered, I'm thinking it'd be good to look at a FS on day 2-3 of this draft. It is a nice feeling to think that we can use the draft for depth/youth as opposed to needing to find starters.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regarding Bethea, I actually do see Kenny Vaccaro as a possibility. He might go before we pick. But if he's there and the value at some other spots isn't, I could see him being the pick.

I've pretty much resigned myself to not taking an OLB in the 1st. We have Hughes, Sidbury, and (ugh) Walden. Probably aren't going to take another one unless the value is incredible.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stanton did sign with the the Colts West. I like Mr. Irrelevant from last years draft but now we're in the market for a backup QB. Unfortunately that means we're down to the likes of Jason Campell or Fitz. Ugh.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

I'm okay with either as long as they don't take snaps and don't want too much money. :)

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

WTF is Grigson thinking with Walden? $4 mil guaranteed was bad enough, but Bob McGinn is saying it's actually $8 million guaranteed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198101541.html

$8 million for a 2 down run stopping OLB? Are you kidding me???

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Francois is signed to a $22 Mil deal. Should be the starter in the DT rotation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...tooled-defense
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

That's a bit much for Francois, isn't it? Is he really good vs. run?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
WTF is Grigson thinking with Walden? $4 mil guaranteed was bad enough, but Bob McGinn is saying it's actually $8 million guaranteed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198101541.html

$8 million for a 2 down run stopping OLB? Are you kidding me???
Ryan Grigson 2012 GM of the year. I think he has a pretty good idea of what he is doing.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
That's a bit much for Francois, isn't it? Is he really good vs. run?
I think it's a bit high, but teams overpay in the first few days of free agency. I don't think we overpaid by a lot, and I do think he will improve the front 7 significantly. Yes, he is a strong run defender. Here's a quick blurb on him from AP:

Quote:
Colts add DL Jean Francois to list of new players

By MICHAEL MAROT (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press 4 hours ago
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Indianapolis Colts are on a defensive spending spree.
Less than 24 hours after adding Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry to the roster, the Colts struck two more deals, this time landing San Francisco defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois and re-signing cornerback Darius Butler. Terms of the deals were not immediately available.
The latest moves are intended to help revamp a traditionally undersized defense that has played a secondary role to quarterbacks Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and the offense over the 15 seasons. Now, suddenly, the Colts are getting bigger, stronger and deeper, enough to convince Francois this was the team he wanted to be with.
''The Colts have always been known for their offense, but sometime we've got to change the trend and become a defensive team, too,'' Francois told reporters on a hastily arranged conference call Thursday. ''They're getting a versatile player, a big dude that can do just about anything you want him to do besides punt and kick field goals.''
Indy is certainly making headway in changing its defensive image after using its first four draft picks last April exclusively on offense - taking Luck, tight ends Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen and receiver T.Y. Hilton - and then bringing in three new starting offensive linemen during the offseason.
This offseason started in the same fashion. The Colts immediately signed right tackle Gosder Cherilus and guard Donald Thomas to big deals to help protect Luck. Cherilus' contract is for five years and $35 million with a $10 million signing bonus and $16.5 million guaranteed. Thomas' deal is reportedly for four years and $14 million.
Since then, the Colts have been fixated exclusively on defense.
They signed cornerback linebacker Lawrence Sidbury, cornerback Greg Toler and linebacker Erik Walden on Tuesday. Late Wednesday night, they agreed to a four-year deal worth $24 million, with $14 million guaranteed, to get the big-hitting Landry.
And now they've added Francois, a 6-foot-3, 295-pound defensive lineman who some believed was the only free agent capable of playing all three defensive line positions in the 3-4 defense Indianapolis switched to last season. That wasn't the only reason he picked Indy. Francois is a Miami native, where coach Chuck Pagano coached in college and where receiver Reggie Wayne works out during the offseason, and he's played previously for Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky.
''I talked to Manusky, a guy that coached me when I first got into the league. He gave me my first shot. Me and him were laughing a majority of the time. Drake Nevis, it was good to see him once again and to be playing beside him again,'' Francois said of his former college teammate at LSU. ''And Coach (Pagano), I loved him just talking to him and hearing what he was saying, it was like I already knew who he was because he coached down at Miami and he knew a lot of the things I already knew.''
How have the Colts done all this?
They went into free agency about $40 million under the salary cap, and general manager Ryan Grigson made it clear he didn't want high-priced, older, big-name players. Instead he opted to stay true to his mission - keeping the Colts young and bringing in players who were better fits in the new system.
Jim Irsay, who has never been shy about spending money but has never made this big a splash in free agency since replacing his late father as team owner, gave Grigson the latitude to do whatever he thought necessary.
Francois comes to Indy after making a career-high 51 tackles for the 49ers last season and recording both of his sacks in San Francisco's final three regular-season games.
''Ricky is a quick, aggressive and extremely powerful player,'' Grigson said in a statement released by the team. ''He has been a mainstay the last four years within a dominant NFL defense with a lot of special players. He not only has familiarity with our scheme, but he is versatile enough to play any of our defensive line positions. At 26 years old, we feel the arrow is pointing straight up and we're looking forward to him making a big impact for us this coming season.''
Butler was New England's second-round pick in 2009 and joined the Colts in September as a free agent.
He wound up playing in 11 games, making four starts, picking off a career-high four interceptions and returning two for touchdowns. He will likely be in a backup role behind Vontae Davis, the former first-round pick Indy got in a trade with Miami just before last season's opening game, and the recently signed Toler.
And Francois likes the way things are shaping up in Indy.
''Yeah, you could say that basically this is a new start,'' Francois said. ''Because like everybody will get in on time and sit down and talk to each other and basically get a relationship going on and get a bond going on. Because the biggest thing is you want everyone is to become a family. There's going to be new faces around here but you want to become a family real quick. That's how teams become successful.''
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishspinners View Post
Ryan Grigson 2012 GM of the year. I think he has a pretty good idea of what he is doing.
I mostly trust Grigson but he is not perfect. I highly doubt Walden lives up to his contract. And with $8 mil guaranteed we can't even cut him after one year if he indeed sucks like everyone else in the league thinks he will.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Walden's contract has all of the guaranteed money in the first two years. All off the non-guaranteed in the last two.

Also, I just checked and Luck's contract is 4 years with the 5th year as a team option. So all of these 4 year deals are leading up to that point. Will be some decisions to make at that point, though by that point all these guys will be 32, so not that tough.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

If he can play all three 3-4 positions (that's very rare), then it's an absolutely a good deal.

Sounds like upgrading run defense specifically was a big priority for our front office.

Francois stuffs the run on the line, Landry is like having another LB vs. run and it sounds like they view Walden as a guy who will help in that regard also.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Looking at Walden's bio and career stats I don't see how this guy got that contract. Grigson and the scouts had to really see something in this guy.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eal-is-coming/

Irsay saying a big deal might be coming.

My guess is Cruz. That would be so cool. Although trading picks sucks because we have so little.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote: