Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are people saying Smith would have lost us the game today? Do people really think he couldn't have led the offense to eight points against one of the worst defenses in the league?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Why are people saying Smith would have lost us the game today? Do people really think he couldn't have led the offense to eight points against one of the worst defenses in the league?
It doesn't work like that. Butterfly effect.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Kaepernick somehow helped the defense get those touchdowns or keep Drew Brees on his back the entire second half? This game for Kaepernick was pretty much exactly what Alex did against the Packers and Lions earlier in the season, probably slightly worse, and he was pretty much just the "bus driver" in those wins according to everyone. Why is it any different for Kaepernick?

Kaepernick did not win us this game today anymore than Smith won those games.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kaepernick's escapability is the big difference. Alex would take sacks or throw aways where CK can make plays instead.

CK played better against the tougher defense (Bears) and played worse against a crappy defense (Saints). What does that mean? Nothing. These are tiny sample sizes. I don't care what any numbers say. I love the way he's putting drives together and his rushing is just too much of a factor.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Alex has taken sacks all year, and he did it a lot last year, but the 49ers have still been winning. Today would not have been any different with the way the defense played and the way the receivers were getting YAC.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-25-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Alex has taken sacks all year, and he did it a lot last year, but the 49ers have still been winning. Today would not have been any different with the way the defense played and the way the receivers were getting YAC.
Fair enough. If this is what we can expect from CK, I'd take it over Alex. Just adds more dynamic elements to the offense. Not a slight on Alex at all. I just think CK is the better option now.

You weren't thrilled with him today. I was. Not much worth debating really.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

abanddon just give it a rest...

Your comparing a 7 year vet to a kid making his first start on the road....against on of the best offenses in the league and a QB that was red-hot. Wasn't expecting CK to be perfect or for him to put up tons of yards. I was just hoping for a win and for CK to do more good than harm. He did that and more. Against a Spags defense that throws a lot of different looks at offenses(that's what you should be paying attention, not what they're ranked), he displayed poise and wasn't overcome by the task at hand. He converted some big 3rd down throws. He escaped some sacks I know for 100% certain Alex would have eaten. And he would have looked even better had penalties and drops not taken away some great plays made from him escaping the pocket.

That being said, he still holds the ball way too long in the pocket....but that's also why he completes more downfield throws...because he actually is waiting for deeper routes to develop, something I've criticized Alex for repeatedly this year(not having the patience to let the deeper routes develop). He scares the **** out of me the way he holds the ball when he's escaping pressure from the pocket. Still isn't reading the defense great but that's to be a expected for a guy with such little game experience. And Moss absolutely bailed him out of his second horrible int of the game.

Do I think he should remain the starter? No. I've been over that already in the Bears game thread. It's only going to be harder for him going forward, especially against better defenses and schemes. Did he do enough to remain the starter? Yes. Road wins are nothing sneeze at in this league. And for a kid making his first road start in the Superdome, against a team and a fanbase who have been waiting for this game for nearly a year, against a offense who had been red-hot the last 4 weeks, with our running game not as effective as it normally is and him being placed in some tough down and distances to convert, I thought CK did more than enough to keep the job....a job I don't think he should have been given in the first place but it is what it is.

I still say CK is too green to get us through a tough NFC in the playoffs. And I still say Alex gives us the best chance, just by merely playing his game.

But I also understand, that Jimbaugh is taking the long-view on this. He's been grooming CK for this. It came earlier than expected but this why we drafted him....to eventually lead this team. And he IS leading them. And he's doing it with his play on the field. The fact that he's even making this QB situation possible speaks to just how impressive his short body of work is. I told myself if he beat the Saints, he would earn the right for me to shut up and let Jimbaugh get this kid ready. You will hear no more about CK until our season is over and I say either "I told you so", or "Super Bowl Champions, MOAR CROW PLEZ!"

I do think Alex is getting a raw deal. And part of me wanted Alex to lead this team to a SB just to shut-up all non-Niner fans, and some in our own fanbase, who said it would never happen. But this is grown man b/i. Alex knows how this works. He benefited from the same scenario years back when he sent his best friend, Shaun Hill into a back-up role, and eventually out of town, when he came in off the bench and impressed when Hill had been playing pretty good ball in previous games that season. This is the nature of the business. If it can happen to Montana, it can definitely happen to Alex. I think the guy is as solid a human being as you can possibly find. Never a bad word to say, even through this and all the other bs he's endured throughout his career. But Alex knew, with the contract he signed, that this was very possible. I'm not driving the CK bus, but I'm not running it off the road either. He's done enough for me to just sit back see what happens.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 11-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I completely support Kaepernick being the QB of the 49ers. He's shown me alot of things that can make this offense alot more dangerous.

However, I can see where abaddon is coming from. It's the hypocrisy in the perception that bothers me...

Here's a post I made elsewhere...

Quote:
I am very happy with what Kaep has shown. He played quite well today, and most importantly he won. I just find it interesting how winning and perception can completely put a spin on how people reflect on the game. Remember how the ineptitude of the Buffalo Bills' defense cause people to diminish Alex Smith's accomplishments? Let's look at the Saint's defense and how Kaepernick and the 49ers' offense performed comparably...

In 11 games

Total Offense

1. Broncos - 530
2. Buccaneers - 513
3. Chiefs - 510
4. Panthers - 463
5. Redskins - 459
6. Falcons - 454
7. Eagles - 447
8. Chargers - 427
9. Packers - 421
10. Raiders - 404
11. 49ers - 375

Yards Passing

1. Freeman - 420
2. Ryan - 411
3. Rivers - 354
4. Griffin - 320
5. Rodgers - 319
6. Palmer - 312
7. Manning - 303
8. Vick - 272
9. Newton - 253
10. Cassel - 248
11. Kaepernick - 231

I completely support Kaepernick, but most importantly I support WINNING. Video game numbers would be great but if Kaep threw for 600 yds and the 49ers lost I'd be unhappy. I am happy with the win.

I just wish that supporting Kaepernicking didn't require a double-standard by so many.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say wait until the pats game then we will know for sure.there defense is much better the the poor saints.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I say wait until the pats game then we will know for sure.there defense is much better the the poor saints.
This isn't 2007 anymore the Patriots defense is awful.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
abanddon just give it a rest...

Your comparing a 7 year vet to a kid making his first start on the road....against on of the best offenses in the league and a QB that was red-hot. Wasn't expecting CK to be perfect or for him to put up tons of yards. I was just hoping for a win and for CK to do more good than harm. He did that and more. Against a Spags defense that throws a lot of different looks at offenses(that's what you should be paying attention, not what they're ranked), he displayed poise and wasn't overcome by the task at hand. He converted some big 3rd down throws. He escaped some sacks I know for 100% certain Alex would have eaten. And he would have looked even better had penalties and drops not taken away some great plays made from him escaping the pocket.
I don't understand what this part has to do with Kaepernick's play. I expected a much better game against arguably the worst defense in the league, maybe my expectations were too high. Kaepernick put up pretty much the exact same numbers that every other QB has against the Saints this year. I agree that Alex would have taken more sacks, I already addressed that, but some of those penalties helped Kaepernick escape from the pocket in the first place. No one has even mentioned the 131 yards of YAC, the most the 49ers have had all season, when all that was mentioned after the Cardinals game was the 49ers YAC. The 49ers have almost 20 more yards of YAC per game with Kaepernick starting, not coincidentally Kaepernick has about 25 more YPG than Smith. Smith has a higher completion percentage, better touchdown percentage, higher QB rating and would have more YPA if the receivers got the same YAC they are getting now.

Quote:
I do think Alex is getting a raw deal. And part of me wanted Alex to lead this team to a SB just to shut-up all non-Niner fans, and some in our own fanbase, who said it would never happen. But this is grown man b/i. Alex knows how this works. He benefited from the same scenario years back when he sent his best friend, Shaun Hill into a back-up role, and eventually out of town, when he came in off the bench and impressed when Hill had been playing pretty good ball in previous games that season. This is the nature of the business. If it can happen to Montana, it can definitely happen to Alex. I think the guy is as solid a human being as you can possibly find. Never a bad word to say, even through this and all the other bs he's endured throughout his career. But Alex knew, with the contract he signed, that this was very possible. I'm not driving the CK bus, but I'm not running it off the road either. He's done enough for me to just sit back see what happens.
I am just trying to be the voice of moderation and reason here. Kaepernick had a great game against a tough Bears defense, no one is denying that, but to act like he had a good game against the Saints is ridiculous.

It is just hilarious and sad to me that Kaepernick puts up similar numbers to what Alex Smith does every week, maybe slightly worse, against one of the worst defenses in the league while the 49ers defense scores two touchdowns and Kaepernick gets all the praise and credit for winning. People completely ignore that the 49ers have more YPG and first downs per game in Smith's starts than they do in Kaepernick's. If Smith had that exact same game it would have been just managing the game and he would have gotten none of the credit. You all know this to be true

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This game was a win/win starting Kaep.

If he was on fire again this week you can go forward. If he hits a rough patch it was to be expected.

It was in between.

Fastball was thrown for strikes again.

But the touch passes are Hall & Oates at this point. Bruce Miller made a great snag to catch one. Hunter had no chance at one. And Moss pass was really bad.

The gears seemed to be grinding at times with play calls but wasn't too bad but waiting so long give the defense anticipation of the snap cause they see the clock too.

Should go back to Smith.

After the 2 games I feel a lot better about a promotion in 2013 and using the money on a better center or whatever. But this year I can't see feeling calm going into the playoffs. Even if Kaep goes player of the month in December. The playoffs are another level.

Being a QB is hard. With experience it gets easier but never easy. NFL history has many more examples of young QBs taking at least 1 step back on their development journey than those who avoid major pitfalls.

Steve McNair played a little as a rookie.

2nd year started 4 games.
Had a 65% 308 1-1 game
Had a 79% 238 1-0 game
2 other games had big plays and rating over 100

3rd season he started every game
62.5% was his best
266 was his best

4th season was when he again had a couple games like his breakout games.
But that was week 6 after 2 bad games in a row.

We'd hope to pull a Big Ben 2nd year Super Bowl win with holding teams to under 20. But he did have 27 starts before those playoffs. Including 2 playoff games with 5 ints.

Looking at the past just about all QBs mix in a complete face-plant starting playoff games early in careers. And most all of those will have had a track record beyond Kaep's 7 starts.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't understand what this part has to do with Kaepernick's play. I expected a much better game against arguably the worst defense in the league, maybe my expectations were too high. Kaepernick put up pretty much the exact same numbers that every other QB has against the Saints this year. I agree that Alex would have taken more sacks, I already addressed that, but some of those penalties helped Kaepernick escape from the pocket in the first place. No one has even mentioned the 131 yards of YAC, the most the 49ers have had all season, when all that was mentioned after the Cardinals game was the 49ers YAC. The 49ers have almost 20 more yards of YAC per game with Kaepernick starting, not coincidentally Kaepernick has about 25 more YPG than Smith. Smith has a higher completion percentage, better touchdown percentage, higher QB rating and would have more YPA if the receivers got the same YAC they are getting now.

I am just trying to be the voice of moderation and reason here. Kaepernick had a great game against a tough Bears defense, no one is denying that, but to act like he had a good game against the Saints is ridiculous.

It is just hilarious and sad to me that Kaepernick puts up similar numbers to what Alex Smith does every week, maybe slightly worse, against one of the worst defenses in the league while the 49ers defense scores two touchdowns and Kaepernick gets all the praise and credit for winning. People completely ignore that the 49ers have more YPG and first downs per game in Smith's starts than they do in Kaepernick's. If Smith had that exact same game it would have been just managing the game and he would have gotten none of the credit. You all know this to be true
No one is giving all the praise to CK. He is getting talked about but of the QB situation but everyone knows the game is totally different if the defense doesn't score two TDs. What people are saying is that he played solid, and that in itself is a big deal. Maybe you don't remember how Alex looked in his first career start on the road. Now granted, the roster wasn't even close to talent on our current roster but still....it wasn't pretty nor successful on ANY level. You said yourself, CK did excatly what Alex has done all year....and that in itself, is what is impressive. The drop off from a 7 year vet who nearly led us to a SB to a QB who is still very raw is minimal at best. And there-in, lies the rub.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

I guess we just have different opinions on Kaepernick playing an average game against a terrible defense being a big deal, I don't think it is. RG3 went into New Orleans in his first ever start and had a much better game. Cam Newton and Philip Rivers, who have both been really bad this season, had better games. Every good QB that has faced the Saints this season; Manning, Ryan, Freeman, Rodgers and RG3; has shredded that defense.

I don't doubt Kaepernick's potential, with his arm and mobility he has the tools to be elite, but he isn't the best choice for us to win this year. He is raw, like you said, and he is going to have bad games or average ones where the defense isn't lights out, more of those games than Alex Smith would have.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very happy with the win. This was a game that needed to be a W and prove the Niners could go into a hostile environment and win a potential shootout. Kap played well but the D as the biggest deciding factor in the game.

Kap is still raw but has progressed a lot from last year. I was a huge fan of Harbaalke drafting either him or Dalton and was ecstatic when we got him. I believe he will be a stud QB with Harbaugh and Roman at the helm, mentoring and creating a system that will allow him to shine. His ceiling is not even in the same ballpark as Alex's; it's enormous. Alex has played well though and should not be just tossed to the side. When the playoffs start, a game manager that is less risky and conservative could be the way to go. Kap is dynamic and more of a risk-taker, which has more upside but more room for error as well. I really like the prospect of Kap being the QBOTF starting next year with another offseason of Harbaugh mentoring and chemistry development with receivers. I think he'd take another couple steps and really start to become the all around NFL QB he was drafted to be. But, if it's his time ow, then it's his time and I support this coaching staff's decision-making 100%.

I think that Kap should only continue to start if Harbaugh decides that the team has moved on from Alex. Alex's confidence will soon be shot and he will be a non-option moving forward and the Niners could be in serious trouble later this season should Kap slip.

Seeing these last 2 games and Harbaugh's previous treatment of Alex (not opening up the deeper passing playbook, etc.) it seems that although he likes Alex, he likes the upside of CK more and has given him more trust in the execution of plays, despite him still being raw. I can definitely see that Harbaugh has possibly already made his decision and is moving forward.

Ginn's job needs to be challenged ASAP. Waiting until next year to replace him may be too long. I know they're prepping James to take over return duties and maybe with Ginn's struggles and the Hunter injury, his time to step up will be next week in STL.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 11-26-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I guess we just have different opinions on Kaepernick playing an average game against a terrible defense being a big deal, I don't think it is. RG3 went into New Orleans in his first ever start and had a much better game. Cam Newton and Philip Rivers, who have both been really bad this season, had better games. Every good QB that has faced the Saints this season; Manning, Ryan, Freeman, Rodgers and RG3; has shredded that defense.

I don't doubt Kaepernick's potential, with his arm and mobility he has the tools to be elite, but he isn't the best choice for us to win this year. He is raw, like you said, and he is going to have bad games or average ones where the defense isn't lights out, more of those games than Alex Smith would have.
That's not the same team the RG3 played. Not the same team team that started out 0-4. Check the stats from their last 4 games, the defense has been much improved ever since they got Vilma back and their LBs started getting healthy. They had all 3, Hawthorne, Lofton, and Vilma Sunday. RG3 didn't face them at full strength. And that's not to take away from the game he had, he was phenomenal but Alfred Morris ran wild on them. Our running game was very average most of the day.

But that Saints team was up for this game. All their players to a man, admitted that they had this game circled on their calender since the day the schedule was released. It was a team playing for their playoff lives. They were highly motivated and CK didn't flinch under the circumstances, calmly connecting on some key third downs. 3rd and 11, that pass to Walker for 25 yards.....not sure Alex makes that throw or converts that critical 3rd down.

I saw something I've never seen after that throw. It was while the Saints player was injured on the field. Jimbaugh had the QBs huddled over and he was talking to CK and Carlos Rogers came over and gave CK pound, right in the middle of the huddle and was like "Awesome throw bro". I've never seen a defensive player come over a dap a QB after a great throw. Mainly I guess because the elite ones always make throws like that so its the norm and not out of the ordinary. But I think that little gesture shows what the team sees in CK and how his play energizes the entire team. That's powerful stuff and can't be overlooked. Not saying Rogers wouldn't have done the same had Alex completed a similar throw but CK is just a different kind of QB. CK was one of the first guys to 'hoot and holler' and congratulate both Brooks and Whitner on their pick 6's. I've never seen Alex congrat or hug a defensive player after a big play. He's usually off in his own world, doing what QBs do and there's nothing wrong with that. Most QBs are just like him when the offense isn't on the field. But I think just way CK is, endures him to his teammates probably a little more than Alex. And we all know Alex is one of the best guys you want to know. But it'd a different energy with CK and it's a energy Jimbaugh sees and one he's taking into account, among other things.

Me and a friend of mine were a having a conversation about the QBs after the game and I brought up a point that I think needs to be looked at. I really think Jimbaugh should go back to Alex as the starter and here's why. Mentally, CK has shown whether its as a back-up or as a starter, he has the mental make-up to go into any situation and shine. He has that cockiness, that swag that no hurdle is too big for himself. He is a supremely confident individual.

Alex IMO, isn't built the same. Alex wouldn't be the same Alex as a back-up. He would lose some of that confidence, that swagger he had gained throughout this season. You put Alex back into the driver's seat, knowing that CK is well on his way and all your grooming has paid off. And and when you don't pick Alex's option during the off-season, you know your in good hands. But understanding the way Alex was playing, and seeing that he was starting to really take off before he got hurt, you give him back the keys to the offense and let fate run its course.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post

Ginn's job needs to be challenged ASAP. Waiting until next year to replace him may be too long. I know they're prepping James to take over return duties and maybe with Ginn's struggles and the Hunter injury, his time to step up will be next week in STL.
So one fumble and now Ginn's job is in jeopardy? To who...a guy who has never return a punt in a NFL game before? Ginn has been solid fielding punts. He got cocky yesterday when he just should have let the Saints players down it inside the 5. I think that's his first muffed punt as a Niner. With K-10 likely done for the year, you thank your lucky stars you have a Ginn on the roster. He will continue to field punts and KOs. And he also slides right in to K-10's 4th WR role. Sorry for those of you who were expecting to see Jenkins on the field. Now I do think LMJ gets activated. Especially with both Hunter and K-10 hurt. LMJ is a back-up RB and is the guy their grooming to replace Ginn as the PR/KR next year. I think he'll definitely be suited up for the first time against the Rams and be the back-up PR/KR.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Kaepernick gets injured, Smith is pretty much done as our starting QB and I'll be surprised if he's still on the roster come March because his base salary is $7.5m next year and he has a $1m roster bonus due in March. Sorry, but Smith isnt worth $8.5m a year to be the backup. Yes, he's a valuable backup but not worth that price especially when in 2014, we're going to have several top tier players who'll be UFA's. 2013 is going to be the off-season where a few players go and extend the young core which includes Bowman, Manningham, Williams, Brown, Whitner and a host of others.

Harbaugh is very much aware of this which is why he's going with Kaepernick now. Kaepernick also gives our offense something that it hasnt had since Garcia/Owens - a passing attack thats actually a threat and dangerous. We're not going to win anything playing that consertative get a single digit lead with field goals and then try to hold on for the win. That's not going to cut it anymore. Add in Akers sucking this year and Kaepernick's arm and big play ability makes him the far better choice.

I dont hate Alex Smith but let's be realistic. Team traded up and drafted Kaepernick in 2011 long before Smith was ever re-signed for 2011. And majority of people here wanted Smith gone but with the lockout, re-signing was the best move at the time but Kaepernick was Harbaugh's hand picked QB. Smith was not. This past March, Harbaugh went after Manning. Call it what you want. If Manning said yes to us, he would be our starting QB, Kaepernick would be the backup and Smith would be long gone.

Even before re-signing Smith in 2011, Harbaugh was already looking for his eventual replacement which turned out to be Kaepernick. Smith knew this was coming and no other team offered him a damn thing in March because every team knows that it was Harbaugh more than Smith that made him play good. Harbaugh was a QB and who better than him to decide who should and shouldnt be our QB?

Smith is a better version ofwhat Trent Dilfer was in 2000 with the Ravens. Smith has had a few good games and his record is damn good since the start of 2011 but at the same time, he has a great RB, great defense and a very good OL. Kaepernick has the same things that Smith had but the main difference is between Smith and Kaepernick themselves.

Smith is careful and scared to make mistakes which makes him a liability. Add in the fact that Harbaugh never fully took the chains off of Smith should also tell everyone here something - that he knew was Smith was and wasnt capable of. He used Smith to the best of his strengths and hid his weaknesses better than anyone else ever had or ever could.

Smith will make a play here and there but on the consistent basis that Kaepernick has already done. When the pocket breaks down and Smith is the QB, im scared and worried that something bad is going to happen. With Kaepernick, its the opposite because he can break tackles, scramble and make plays running AND PASSING.

He has the pure arm strength to gun the ball anywhere he needs it to be. Granted, his accuracy was off on a few passes (mainly the Moss pass which was very bad) but the difference is that Smith wouldnt even try to pass to a receiver at all. He would get sacked or throw the ball away. Watching replays of Kaepernick's passes, not only is he gunning the ball where it has to go, the ball is a pure tight spiral. Not some wobbler.

Unlike Smith, Kaepernick's big play ability has given us more 20+ yard plays in two games than I think I have seen all year plus his ability to convert on third downs has been HUGE. No more running on third downs, getting stuffed and punting. Screw that.

Quite honestly, I have been more pumped up since last Monday when Kaepernick started than I have been since last year's playoff run. And the reason why is simple - with Smith, I know what im going to see and get at QB. The same consertative, pansy ass playcalling thats done just so Smith wont make mistakes. Not going to win that way as already was proven to the loss against the Giants in the NFCCG.

It's an aggressive passing up tempo scoring league and Kaepernick fits that style much better than Smith. Best thing is that Kaepernick will only get better, smarter and improve his game where as with Smith, he is what he is and thats it. With both QB's, you also have to give a lot of credit to Harbaugh because he got the most out of Smith but he knows that he's reached his limits. With Kaepernick, he's just starting and can get a lot more out of him. Little by little, Harbaugh will do just that.

With Kaepernick, im actually pumped up and excited to see what he'll do on the field. His ability to scramble, break tackles, avoid sacks and dual threat ability makes him a lot of fun to watch and seeing him make plays especially passing which he has done more in two games than running in two seasons is just awesome to see. We've all wanted a QB who could actually pass down field and make big plays. Well, we finally have that guy so enjoy it instead of complaining about it because for the nine years before Harbaugh, we sucked plain and simple.

Some may think that Smith will be the best option come playoff time but I disagree completely. If Kaepernick plays out the season which im expecting him to do, no way do you take him out in favor of Smith and for what? So we can score 17 points and complete only one pass to a WR because the opposing defense doesnt fear him or our offense? Screw that.

Kaepernick all the way and quite honestly, if the greatest QB of all time Joe Montana can be replaced and traded, then what's happening to Smith shouldnt even be a discussion because there's no comparision whatsoever.

Anyway, on to crappy Saint Louis. Cant wait. Six more days to go.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Side notes -

I'm hoping James gets activated and is the main returner, not just because of Ginn's fumble but because Ginn hasnt been anywhere as good as he was last season. Would rather see James get some playing time and experience going into the playoffs and 2013.

Manningham has to start being used a little more. This guy has turned out to be a good signing and better than I ever expected. With Crabtree finally looking like a legitimate number one receiver, I think them two can make an excellent starting combo with Kaepernick at QB.

Still hoping Moss breaks out at some point but I think that he's just an extra at this point. However, with Kaepernick's ability to throw deep, I would like to see them test DB's down the field.

With Akers having a bad season (injured or not), is it time to start looking for a replacement for 2013? Also, with him having a bad season, its just another reason as to why we must be more aggressive, up tempo and score TD's instead of depending on him for FG's.

Aldon Smith. I love this guy. Guy has become an elite pass rusher and to think, he's going to break Reggie White's record and possibly Strahan's sack record in the same season. I'll be the first to say - WHO? when he was drafted but damn, Harbaugh and Baalke scored a 10 thus far with him. Now, if only they can bubble wrap him between games, he'll be perfect. LOL.

I'm so pumped now!!! And my friend's Cowboys suck. What an awesome time to be 49ers fan. :) :) :)
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know Akers has the exact same percentage in both categories only that he because he has less short FG's it looks bad. Last year he also had enoug misses on those 40+ yarders and this year its more of those and less of the 20-30 yarders which he makes with ease.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Side notes -

I'm hoping James gets activated and is the main returner, not just because of Ginn's fumble but because Ginn hasnt been anywhere as good as he was last season. Would rather see James get some playing time and experience going into the playoffs and 2013.

Manningham has to start being used a little more. This guy has turned out to be a good signing and better than I ever expected. With Crabtree finally looking like a legitimate number one receiver, I think them two can make an excellent starting combo with Kaepernick at QB.

Still hoping Moss breaks out at some point but I think that he's just an extra at this point. However, with Kaepernick's ability to throw deep, I would like to see them test DB's down the field.

With Akers having a bad season (injured or not), is it time to start looking for a replacement for 2013? Also, with him having a bad season, its just another reason as to why we must be more aggressive, up tempo and score TD's instead of depending on him for FG's.

Aldon Smith. I love this guy. Guy has become an elite pass rusher and to think, he's going to break Reggie White's record and possibly Strahan's sack record in the same season. I'll be the first to say - WHO? when he was drafted but damn, Harbaugh and Baalke scored a 10 thus far with him. Now, if only they can bubble wrap him between games, he'll be perfect. LOL.

I'm so pumped now!!! And my friend's Cowboys suck. What an awesome time to be 49ers fan. :) :) :)

James WILL NEVER be the main returner with Ginn healthy and on the roster, wtf. Lay off the drugs Dan. This isn't Techmo Bowl. The kid looked god-awful in preseason fielding punts. He's a work in progress there. And I don't thank they just hand him the duties in the off-season either. They'll probably draft or bring in a couple of guys and make him earn the job. And he doesn't need experience, he's a freakin RB. Just plug him in and let him run...not that difficult to do. I doubt he gets many game reps tho. It'll be Gore and Jacobs handling most of the carries. His pass-protection and blitz pick-up still needs work. He needs to get stronger. Hunter was very underrated in that aspect. He learned from Gore and has been very good in that area. Hopefully Hunter's injury won't be too serious. We need his runs outside the tackles. They mesh with Gore's inside running really well.

And I find it hilarious that your so pumped now about the team. After the Rams game you were packing it in and saying the sky was falling and our season was over. So typical.....and irrational of you.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 11-26-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Some may think that Smith will be the best option come playoff time but I disagree completely. If Kaepernick plays out the season which im expecting him to do, no way do you take him out in favor of Smith and for what? So we can score 17 points and complete only one pass to a WR because the opposing defense doesnt fear him or our offense? Screw that.
That is what the offense did yesterday.

They didn't much fear the passing game cause it was Crabs, Kyle, and Swain.

Smith did chuck 1 deep through the rain drops. But it was like a Kaep rocket and went too far past Kyle.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
James WILL NEVER be the main returner with Ginn healthy and on the roster, wtf. Lay off the drugs Dan. This isn't Techmo Bowl. The kid looked god-awful in preseason fielding punts. He's a work in progress there. And I don't thank they just hand him the duties in the off-season either. They'll probably draft or bring in a couple of guys and make him earn the job. And he doesn't need experience, he's a freakin RB. Just plug him in and let him run...not that difficult to do. I doubt he gets many game reps tho. It'll be Gore and Jacobs handling most of the carries. His pass-protection and blitz pick-up still needs work. He needs to get stronger. Hunter was very underrated in that aspect. He learned from Gore and has been very good in that area. Hopefully Hunter's injury won't be too serious. We need his runs outside the tackles. They mesh with Gore's inside running really well.

And I find it hilarious that your so pumped now about the team. After the Rams game you were packing it in and saying the sky was falling and our season was over. So typical.....and irrational of you.
Ginn hasnt done a damn thing period. James should at least be given the backup role. Drugs? No thanks. Never touched them, never will. And pre-season doesnt mean anything. He could still provide a spark on special teams but we wont know until he's given the chance. Hope he backs up Gore too. I still dont like Jacobs and personally, would have released him already but thats just me.

I was pissed in the Rams game because coming off the bye, team played like ****!!! Getting beat TWICE on punts? Having a tie with the Rams in SF??? I was pissed and still am. I'm pumped now because I get to see a QB thats exciting to watch as opposed to dull, boring and predictable Smith. Sorry but any 49ers fan who WASNT pissed with the Rams game isnt a fan. Come on. Losing to the crappy Rams and Danny Amendola??? Give me a damn break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
That is what the offense did yesterday.

They didn't much fear the passing game cause it was Crabs, Kyle, and Swain.

Smith did chuck 1 deep through the rain drops. But it was like a Kaep rocket and went too far past Kyle.
Yeah, I know the offense scored 17 points. Technically, it should have been 23 and we finished with 31 points. You can say it was the defense that scored 14 points but if im the only one that sees the entire team being pumped up with Kaepernick as the QB, than I must be watching a completely different 49ers team.

And because Smith and Harbaugh were too scared to at least take shots downfield. Thankfully, thats no longer an issue.

Super Bowl bound baby!!! Enjoy the ride!!! :)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

If Ginn hasn't done anything, I shudder to think what a rookie who has yet to be even activated for a NFL game, yet alone play in one would do. Do your hear yourself? Ginn is only one of the better PR/KR in the league. A guy who if he is healthy in late January, has us in the Super Bowl and on our way to Lombardi #6. He muffs ONE punt and suddenly his replaceable by a rookie who couldn't even field punts in games that didn't matter. But you want to roll the dice and actually let him get some 'experience' in games that actually do count....yea, let's try that.

And I recall EVERYONE being mad about the Rams game. I only recall one person saying our season was over. HUGEEEEE difference, no matter how you try and spin it 2 weeks later.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
If Ginn hasn't done anything, I shudder to think what a rookie who has yet to be even activated for a NFL game, yet alone play in one would do. Do your hear yourself? Ginn is only one of the better PR/KR in the league. A guy who if he is healthy in late January, has us in the Super Bowl and on our way to Lombardi #6. He muffs ONE punt and suddenly his replaceable by a rookie who couldn't even field punts in games that didn't matter. But you want to roll the dice and actually let him get some 'experience' in games that actually do count....yea, let's try that.

And I recall EVERYONE being mad about the Rams game. I only recall one person saying our season was over. HUGEEEEE difference, no matter how you try and spin it 2 weeks later.
So because a rookie hasnt played automatically cant do anything positive on returns? Excepet for a few plays here and there, Kaepernick didnt do anything until the second half of the Rams game but I guess because he never really played before, he should be benched? Come on. Dont know how James will do unless he's on the field. Ginn has barley done anything. He hasnt provided the spark that he provided last year. I dont care what James did in pre-season. He could actually break one for a TD or he could fumble but you dont either way unless he plays. As for the NFCCG...people need to stop blaming Kyle Williams...if we actually had a passing attack, we would have blown out the Giants. Thats the REAL REASON we lost. Not Kyle Williams. No receivers, no threat, an average QB and a HC who didnt want to take chances with Smith because he was afraid he would lose the game. Williams isnt the reason we lost, he's just the scapegoat which was evident by signing Moss, Manningham and drafting Jenkins.

I dont remember saying the season was over. If you want to find where I said that, feel free to post it.

And on a side note -

We're averaging 31.5ppg with Kaepernick as the starter. With Smith, we averaged 23.6ppg. Excluded the Rams tie for both. Slice it however you want but scoring 7.9ppg more in my book is a good thing. The entire team seems more energized, pumped and determined with Kaepernick than they did with Smith.

Oh well, to each his own,
Closed Thread