Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.
Default CFL vs NFL

just getting sick and tired of people who are ripping Ricky Williams for not doing anything in the CFL. have any of you watched the CFL or know anything about it. The field is much bigger, and when you have a big bruising back like williams, who doesnt have the speed of say Charles Roberts (Winnepeg BlueBombers RB) then he wont succeed. Williams was also hurt for a while with a broken forearm i believe. Its tough for RB's from the NFL to succeed in the CFL. The only other one who is being utilized correctly is Robert Edwards with Montreal. Take a look at the RB from Minnesota who got busted i foret his name right now, but he was cut, didnt even make the team in Winnepeg. and everyone here comes on and says how bad the CFL is. its not that bad, its a much different game than the NFL. there is much different take to the game, i.e passing, very athletic QB's (a guy like Michael Bishop did nothing in the NFL, and has been OK in the CFL.) very different game.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best player the CFL ever had was a career backup in the NFL.

But yes, your points are valid.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

completly different game you cant really compare them...the skill sets required are differerent so...different players flourish

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

thats even more to my point...different games...you guys also want to hear something. any of you remember Mike Mcmahon??? the ex Eagles QB! well he came up to the CFL combine and was throwing for the WR and DB's there, and he was not impressive at all. in fact id say there were more CIS Qb's who looked better than he did. even more proof to say that NFL players wouldn't necesarilly succeed in the CFL.

you want to know the next best thing for the CFL to produce. Timmy Chang. Yep the record breaker from Hawaii, signed with Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He will succeed because in the CFL they run similar offense to which he used at Hawaii. He should be very effective next year, just watch out for that. Thats the type of game they play in the CFL. much different than the NFL.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

The NFL players only suck at the CFL because they are used to playing a completely different game. If they (NFL players) learned that game (the CFL game) from the beginning, they (NFL players) would kick ass in the CFL, too.

The talent in the NFL is *much* higher than the talent in the CFL.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The best player the CFL ever had was a career backup in the NFL.

But yes, your points are valid.
so who was the best player the CFL ever had....was it that Warren Moon guy from Edmonton who won 5 straight Grey Cups and then went on to dominate the NFL. I guess that is the best player the CFL ever had, and i guess didnt really do much in the NFL, except make it into the Hall of Fame!!

NICE CALL BUDDY!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Finlayson56
Rookie

Finlayson56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

its like comparing Apples and Oranges - The CFL's a harder game (more players less downs)- but the NFL has better Players.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
so who was the best player the CFL ever had....was it that Warren Moon guy from Edmonton who won 5 straight Grey Cups and then went on to dominate the NFL. I guess that is the best player the CFL ever had, and i guess didnt really do much in the NFL, except make it into the Hall of Fame!!

NICE CALL BUDDY!
Warren Moon is an NFL player. If you asked Warren Moon, "say, which league do you think is better?", he would stare at you like a complete dumbass. The best the CFL has EVER been was when they could recruit a few blue chip players from the right out of college with more money. Nobody in their right mind would prefer to play in the CFL anymore.

NICE CALL BUDDY!!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlayson56 View Post
its like comparing Apples and Oranges - The CFL's a harder game (more players less downs)- but the NFL has better Players.
It's not a harder game... what the hell are you talking about? Different I will grant you, but to say it's harder makes no sense at all. Especially since you went on to say that the talent level is better in the NFL.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Warren Moon is an NFL player. If you asked Warren Moon, "say, which league do you think is better?", he would stare at you like a complete dumbass. The best the CFL has EVER been was when they could recruit a few blue chip players from the right out of college with more money. Nobody in their right mind would prefer to play in the CFL anymore.

NICE CALL BUDDY!!
ahahahah....your totally changing your point man!! lol. u had originally said that the best player the CFL ever had was a career backup in the NFL. Warren is a proiduct of the CFL so i guess thats fair to say he is the best the CFL has ever seen or produced. He probably would say the NFL is better, and who in their right mind wouldnt take the NFL over the CFL. I mean guys who play in the CFL have to hold down another job to pay the bills.

but Warren Moon is still the best we've seen and made!!!

once again...NICE CALL BUDDY!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
ahahahah....your totally changing your point man!! lol. u had originally said that the best player the CFL ever had was a career backup in the NFL. Warren is a proiduct of the CFL so i guess thats fair to say he is the best the CFL has ever seen or produced. He probably would say the NFL is better, and who in their right mind wouldnt take the NFL over the CFL. I mean guys who play in the CFL have to hold down another job to pay the bills.

but Warren Moon is still the best we've seen and made!!!

once again...NICE CALL BUDDY!
People may pay attention to your argument if you presented it in a less idiotic way.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

ya your right...but its just some people that get me upset over this topic. THey have no idea what the CFL is. i guess some dont even know where Warren Moon began lol, this is making me laugh. they all think the the Oilers were so high and mighty cuz they found this talent. lol.

your right tho, ill tone it down.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only reason Warren Moon played in the CFL was because the NFL was filled with a bunch of racist assholes.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Doug Flutie did way more in the CFL than Moon did. You can want to claim Moon because of his NFL success all you want, and I'll grant you that he got his chance in the CFL, but I still don't see how that speaks to anything other than the severe inferiority of the CFL, which was my point in the first place.

In fact, if you want to argue the point, here's an article by TSN http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=184736&hubname=

Pretty funny that I could completely give a **** about Canada or the CFL and even I knew that.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Doug Flutie did way more in the CFL than Moon did. You can want to claim Moon because of his NFL success all you want, and I'll grant you that he got his chance in the CFL, but I still don't see how that speaks to anything other than the severe inferiority of the CFL, which was my point in the first place.

In fact, if you want to argue the point, here's an article by TSN http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=184736&hubname=

Pretty funny that I could completely give a **** about Canada or the CFL and even I knew that.
The CFL and NFL play completely different games. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Ugh...powderpuff football is a lot different than the NFL too. Could I not look at them both and see that the NFL is clearly better?

Look it's cute that all the Canadians come in here and skip up for their civic pride, but you don't need a PhD to figure out that, despite the difference in mechanics, the NFL talent is VASTLY superior to the CFL. As the previous poster stated, any NFL player could go to the CFL, take a year or two to pick up the game, and dominate.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
The CFL and NFL play completely different games. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.
Seeing as three people have said "different games," and was has already said "like comparing apples and oranges," thank you for your valuable and original input.
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

u guys make me laugh. Warren Moon could have done 3x what FLutie did if he stayed for longer than his 5 years in the CFL. Flutie only played soooo many years in the CFL that gave him the chance to do what he did. Moon destroyed the league in 5 years and won the Grey Cup 5 years in a row. and when i say destroyed i mean, like much, much better numbers than what Peyton Manning puts up. then he decided to move his game south, for probably the better money, publicity and so on....i dont need to explain that part. cuz we all know it.
JoeSixPac
Rookie

JoeSixPac hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Personally, I don't like the CFL even thought i'm from Canada. I like the running and talent better in the NFL/ NCAA.
JoeSixPac is offline   Reply With Quote
frogstomp

Quote:
As the previous poster stated, any NFL player could go to the CFL, take a year or two to pick up the game, and dominate.
Pfft, act like you don't know my name.

******!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ugh...powderpuff football is a lot different than the NFL too. Could I not look at them both and see that the NFL is clearly better?

Look it's cute that all the Canadians come in here and skip up for their civic pride, but you don't need a PhD to figure out that, despite the difference in mechanics, the NFL talent is VASTLY superior to the CFL. As the previous poster stated, any NFL player could go to the CFL, take a year or two to pick up the game, and dominate.
that is incorrect...some NFL players would adapt easily...many wouldnt. there are only a handful of NFL RB's that could play in the CFL, and not many QB's could either trust me....(i know many wouldnt want to anyways...but Peyton Manning would get his food eaten in the CFL.). Ithink that many LB's and DL's are better atlhetes than those of the NFL because they have so much more land to cover, and much more responsibilty.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Empire hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

The games are too different for you to say one game is better than the other. Certain players would never be able to make it in the CFL. The fields are bigger, there are more players on the field, all backfield players are allowed to be in movement at the snap of the ball.

This all requires a different kind of athlete than the NFL. Players like Jerome Bettis would never make it in the CFL. Does that mean CFL players are better than the NFL? No, it's just very different. Likewise CFL players in general would have not have the same kind of success that they had in the CFL while playing in the NFL. You just have to be more athletic to make it in the CFL.

Hell, there is only one yard of allowable contact in the CFL for receivers and DB. You're typical bump and run corners wouldn't have a job.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

There's really no basis for this point. Yes, most NFL players are much better football players. That said, the difference in talent isn't enough that ANY player could come in and dominate. Sure, throw Marvin Harrison in and he's going to rewrite the record book. Throw a depth player in and he might not even start. There's been quite a few fringe NFL players who have came to the CFL and continued to be fringe players. Ricky Williams is another great example. He came in, had a good year no doubt, but was not a "dominating" player. He simply doesn't fit the mold of a CFL runningback.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
Seeing as three people have said "different games," and was has already said "like comparing apples and oranges," thank you for your valuable and original input.
Comment duly noted and discarded.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The games are too different for you to say one game is better than the other. Certain players would never be able to make it in the CFL. The fields are bigger, there are more players on the field, all backfield players are allowed to be in movement at the snap of the ball.

This all requires a different kind of athlete than the NFL. Players like Jerome Bettis would never make it in the CFL. Does that mean CFL players are better than the NFL? No, it's just very different. Likewise CFL players in general would have not have the same kind of success that they had in the CFL while playing in the NFL. You just have to be more athletic to make it in the CFL.

Hell, there is only one yard of allowable contact in the CFL for receivers and DB. You're typical bump and run corners wouldn't have a job.
thank you...not to mention that in the CFL the DL have to give one yard which means theres even more emphasis on that first step. espceially if your down to 3rd and 1...man do those DL have to bring it. Also a big guy like Tarek Glenn wouldnt be a good fit in the CFL. CFL OL are very mobile, and have probably some of the best feet you would see for a guy thier size. they have so much more area to cover, no to mention that there are usually only the 5 lineman since the CFL doesnt use TE that much.