Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
There was a poster here a while ago(Pack Attack?) who made a poll of how a CFL team would do in the NFL, and he said 16-0 because they're so used to three downs that with four, they'd be unstoppable. Nowadays, the only way a CFL team would beat an NFL team is if they got to keep the 12th player and the NFL was stuck with 11. And even then, it would be really hard.
Once again. A CFL wouldnt go 16-0, but wouldnt go 0-16. An NFL team wouldnt go 18-0 or 0-18 in the CFL. They are two totally differnet games. NFL teams are used to running the ball whenever they want to, and are content on getting a 2 yard gain on first down knowing they will get 2 more tries to get the 8 yards. Whereas in the CFL they get that 2 yard gain, and all of a sudden they need that 8 yards NOW. Teams also can't rely on big backs, I.E New York Giants would be shredded in Canadian Football. Their 2 RB's account for like close to 500 pounds. Eli manning puts up ducks, which in the CFL would be picked off in a second. The 12th man adds as support for a bigger field. Sometimes the NFL field seems cramped as it is, and couldnt support a 12th man. CFL are much more pass oriented. And as said above, guys like Randy Moss wouldnt be that successful, cuz the fly route wouldnt work against cover 4's, or in man cover 3. They rely more on Slot's coming across the middle. geez.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There are 165 pound linebackers in the CFL, who are also what 5"9 or 5"10.

They would be chewed and spat out numerous times by an NFL talent.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
I do know what I am talking about, as I am Canadian and witness this pathetic excuse for a league try to compete year in and year out.

The College system for the CFL is pathetic, so stop trying to mend the obvious tears.
Im not denying that the College system in Canda sucks. Some places are solid, but there are many more weak teams than good teams. The CFL is what it is, its a product of Canada. I love all football, and I can say that the CFL is totally different from the NFL. Like i said before, NFL teams would have a very tough time competing in Canada, as would CFL teams.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There are 165 pound linebackers in the CFL, who are also what 5"9 or 5"10.

They would be chewed and spat out numerous times by an NFL talent.
Read my post about how the games are different on the previous page. Obviously. But that 5'9 165 pound LB can cover anywhere on the field. Thats the difference. The CFL doesn't need guys like Buster Davis who is 5'10 250 pounds to clog the holes because there just isn't that much running the CFL. Much more pass coverage and drop backs.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can American college players apply to get drafted?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
ahh, so they could stop brandon jacobs because they can cover him on passing routes anywhere on the field which somehow magically translates to his rushing gains only being 2 yards a pop.

your logic is atrocious.
LOL. You obviously not understanding my logic. Brandon Jacobs wouldnt be able to run on a team period. Hes too big, and can't cut. The defenses in the CFL have to give one yard off the line of scrimmage which give them more time to read and react. And a faster start at the offense. DL in the CFL are very quick, and can run down RB's. You dont see many RB's go out to catch passes in the CFL because they are needed to block. On passing down, Teams will lineup 5 WR and keep a back into block. Thus that back aint gonna get REC yards. So in the end, Brandon Jaobs wouldn't do much of anything in the CFL.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Veteran

And....njx just kicked your ass.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
so a bunch of 5'9" 180 lb LBers will easily do what 6'2" 250 lb. NFL lbers have a tough time doing? are you high? this is the stupidest series of arguments i've ever read. CFL lbers would simply not be able to tackle better, read plays better and cover better than NFL lbers or they'd BE NFL lbers. they give up a ton of size and that will impatc their ability to stop the run. period. but hey, i wouldn't want to give you an doubt about the supreme dominance of the canadian athlete. i mean, there's a reason the CFL is so much more popular than the NFL, right?
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! Are you so one-minded. Just because one guy says that there is 1, ONE, UNO LB that is 5'9 165 pounds, you assume that they all are. Let me show you the Toronto Argo's starting LB and their size:

Mike Oshea 6'2 235
Kevin Eiben 6'0 235
Mike Fletcher 5'9 220 (smallest one)

How about Hamilton Tiger Cats

Ray Mariuz 6'3 230
JoJaun Armour 6'0 230
David Dixon 6'2 240

Those are the starting LB on two teams. You starting to get the picture now.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And....njx just kicked your ass.
I guess so considering he was right about one player. HELL i dont even know if this player you spoke of being 5'9 165 pounds and playing LB in the CFL exists. You like to run the mouth, so back it up and show us who this player is.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
LOL. You obviously not understanding my logic. Brandon Jacobs wouldnt be able to run on a team period. Hes too big, and can't cut. The defenses in the CFL have to give one yard off the line of scrimmage which give them more time to read and react. And a faster start at the offense. DL in the CFL are very quick, and can run down RB's. You dont see many RB's go out to catch passes in the CFL because they are needed to block. On passing down, Teams will lineup 5 WR and keep a back into block. Thus that back aint gonna get REC yards. So in the end, Brandon Jaobs wouldn't do much of anything in the CFL.

They wouldn't be able to catch 4.4 running Brandon Jacobs. And if they did, good luck tackling him.

But at the same time, some of the stuff being said in here is ridiculous. There aren't any 165 pound linebackers in the CFL. I played last year in a league of 15-16 year olds with a 240 lb weight limit and my team's starting LBs were all over 170. I just checked the BC Lions roster and the lightest LB I found was 220 lbs. So if one team's lightest LB is 220, I doubt there are any in the league at any lower than 190.

And it's also pretty unrealistic to assume that a CFL team wouldn't go 0-16 in the NFL. Unless they were in the AFC West(They'd split with the raiders), or the NFC(They'd make the playoffs :p).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
ahh, so they ARE the same size as NFL linebackers, thus invalidating your earlier argument that they're necessarily more mobile. make up your bloody mind and stick to one story.
What is it invaildating? I never said they don't have guys who are that big, I said they dont necisarily need them. I guess that they have atheltes are near NFL players!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They wouldn't be able to catch 4.4 running Brandon Jacobs. And if they did, good luck tackling him.

But at the same time, some of the stuff being said in here is ridiculous. There aren't any 165 pound linebackers in the CFL. I played last year in a league of 15-16 year olds with a 240 lb weight limit and my team's starting LBs were all over 170. I just checked the BC Lions roster and the lightest LB I found was 220 lbs. So if one team's lightest LB is 220, I doubt there are any in the league at any lower than 190.

And it's also pretty unrealistic to assume that a CFL team wouldn't go 0-16 in the NFL. Unless they were in the AFC West(They'd split with the raiders), or the NFC(They'd make the playoffs :p).
EXACTLY! Everyone here is so one-minded that one guy comes and says how there is this 165lb LB kicking around that no one has heard of, yet everyone believes him. Unbelieveable!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Veteran

There was a puny one on Montreal.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Lets hear a name in here! Just saying there was a puny one on Montreal doesnt mean anything.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh, yep, saw him. 5'9" 190. Still, he's the exception.

Anyway, even though it's nowhere near the NFL, it still isn't a bad league. It's sometimes fun to watch, and it's a good way to spend an otherwise boring afternoon.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
what?

the fact is, CFL athletes are NOT NFL athletes. this should be so obvious it's not worth saying, but apparently you don't get it. NFL players are bigger, stronger and faster than their CFL counterparts, that's why they're in the NFL. this shouldn't still be a discussion.
I meant to say the CFL players are near NFL players athletically. Athlete wise a guy from Chile could be the same as an NFL player. Theres nothing different from a guy living in Canada to a guy living in the USA to a guy living in Peru. Doesnt make a difference. If their an athelte...their an athlete. The CFL has its shares of guys running in the 4.3-4.4's who can bench 45 times. That is obsurd to say. Im assuming your saying that an NFL player is a better athlete than a Boxer? Please! OPEN UP YOUR MIND! THIS WORLD ISNT ONLY THE USA!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Can American college players apply to get drafted?
I believe so, just like Canadian college players can be drafted into the NFL(wasn't there an OT from Queen's who got drafted in like the first? I'm pretty sure he was a horrible bust though)

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brandon Jacobs runs a 4.56 not 4.4, but there isn't a single CFL team that would win a game in an NFL season anyway. You have to be high if you think the Argos or any other team would have any record other than 0-16.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I meant to say the CFL players are near NFL players athletically. Athlete wise a guy from Chile could be the same as an NFL player. Theres nothing different from a guy living in Canada to a guy living in the USA to a guy living in Peru. Doesnt make a difference. If their an athelte...their an athlete. The CFL has its shares of guys running in the 4.3-4.4's who can bench 45 times. That is obsurd to say. Im assuming your saying that an NFL player is a better athlete than a Boxer? Please! OPEN UP YOUR MIND! THIS WORLD ISNT ONLY THE USA!
The difference is, though, the USA has 10 times the people, it's pretty much the biggest sport over there, and lots of people play it(whereas up here, hockey is top dog, hell even soccer pulls a lot of potential football players away), and in the south, it doesn't snow, so they can keep training and playing outdoors while in Canada we don't have that oppurtunity. Certainly, if we pulled the most athletic Canadian and pitted him against the most athletic American, it would be more or less completely even. But in a league, their 300 million to our 30 million really is an advantage.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I believe so, just like Canadian college players can be drafted into the NFL(wasn't there an OT from Queen's who got drafted in like the first? I'm pretty sure he was a horrible bust though)
Not sure about that, I know guys from Canadian schools have been drafted. Im pretty sure Tim Tindale was drafted as well as another WR from Western...I think the name was like Jerome Cater, this was late 80''s-90-'s.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Brandon Jacobs runs a 4.56 not 4.4, but there isn't a single CFL team that would win a game in an NFL season anyway. You have to be high if you think the Argos or any other team would have any record other than 0-16.
Especially considering the best QB in the CFL was a 3rd stringer on Miami a few years back.

And a CFL MVP did not make the Cheifs game roster.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The difference is, though, the USA has 10 times the people, it's pretty much the biggest sport over there, and lots of people play it(whereas up here, hockey is top dog, hell even soccer pulls a lot of potential football players away), and in the south, it doesn't snow, so they can keep training and playing outdoors while in Canada we don't have that oppurtunity. Certainly, if we pulled the most athletic Canadian and pitted him against the most athletic American, it would be more or less completely even. But in a league, their 300 million to our 30 million really is an advantage.
Thats exactly it. Back in the Day the CFL was regarded just as highly as the NFL. The Montreal Allouettes actually wooed Billy "White Shoes" Johnson away from the Oilers with more money. But as the States got larger and made more money, Canada stayed the same and the economy never grew. That is why the CFL is in the same state it was 30 years ago financially and the NFL has grown substantially.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Especially considering the best QB in the CFL was a 3rd stringer on Miami a few years back.

And a CFL MVP did not make the Cheifs game roster.
I didnt think that Printers won MVP, I thought it was Dickenson who was with the Seahawks.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Veteran

Quote:
I didnt think that Printers won MVP, I thought it was Dickenson who was with the Seahawks.
So, you claim to be a CFL fan yet you cannot remember who won the MOP in 2004.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
jared
Veteran

jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
what the hell does that have to do with anything? where are the best athletes going to play? oh, right, the NFL. so no one cares where they're from. the most talented players will always play in the best league.
I'm going to disagree there. People give way too much credit to the guys currently in the league. Hype, publicity, luck, grades, your standing with the law, and being on your coach's good side can all play a factor in how far you advance. Some guys just never get a legit shot. Quick: tell me which hypothetical highschool tailback a college scout is going to bother to go watch: Jermaine Jackson from Florida or Gerhard von Klingendorf from Iowa...?
And on a Canadian note you can't honestly tell me that Jesse Lumsden didn't show enough promise to warrant being picked up and developed by one of the 32 teams in the NFL. The guy had that magical "upside" that everyone is so in love with; he had a rare combination of size and athleticism, the stats (albeit in Canada), and the production in Skin's training camp to get a serious tryout but I don't think he did. He had to pace in front of his coaches for 3/4 of the game just to get in for a snap or two in the final moments of the last preseason game...gimme a break.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote