Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
The 2014 modern era preliminary list has been released.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...-era-nominees/

Walter Jones, Derrick Brooks, Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy are 4 of the 16 first-time eligible names on the ballot.

There are still quite a few names who are at least worthy of a nomination and for one reason or another have not been listed, while others on the list leave you scratching your head as to how they even got this far. Dave Meggett and Stephen Davis at RB, but no Corey Dillon, is just stupid.

I'm not saying these guys should be HOFers but they at least deserve the recognition of a preliminary list nomination. Some of them might even make good Seniors candidates further down the road.

RB: Corey Dillon
11,241 yds, seven 1,000 yd seasons, 89 career TDs

WR: Irving Fryar
851-12,785 with 84 career TDs which were great numbers for his era.

OL: Richmond Webb
Webb is a 4 times (2 1st team) All Pro/7 Pro Bowls/90s All Decade Team.

TE: Jay Novacek
5 Pro Bowls and 2-time All-Pro with 3 Super Bowl rings.

TE: Keith Jackson
5 Pro Bowls and 4-time All Pro (3 1st team).

DL: Leslie O’Neal, Neil Smith, Keith Millard, Simeon Rice, Clyde Simmons.
Millard was 2nd team All Decade 1980s for the Vikings. O’Neal, Smith, Rice and Simmons were all All-Pros with 100+ career sacks. O’Neal has 132.5 career sacks and 8 seasons with 10+ sacks. Smith and Rice also won Super Bowl rings which is an extra feather in their cap.

LB: Pat Swilling 4(2AP)/5/90s, Greg Lloyd 3(3AP)/5/none, Hardy Nickerson 4(2AP)/5/90s

DB: Deron Cherry, Frank Minnifield and Carnell Lake.
Cherry is a 5(3AP)/6/80s. Carnell Lake, a 4(1AP)/5/90s and Minnifield 3(1AP)/4/80s. All 3 deserve to be nominated.
Irving Fray was a better wide receiver than Tim Brown and Andre Reed, but I don't think he is deserving for the Hall of Fame. A great, underrated player no less.

Deron Cherry should be in along with Steve Atwater and Kenny Easley for safeties. All three are snubs, and have been snubs. Mostly due to their position, which is a criminally underrated and devalued position. I also consider Rodney Harrison a Hall of Famer.

As much as I loved Greg Lloyd, I don't think is deserving. Great player, but just didn't dominate long enough.

My top candidates would be:

Walter Jones, Offensive Tackle

When paired with Steve Hutchinson he formed the best left side of an offensive line there might have ever been. Terrific in pass protection and shockingly athletic. Some of his blocks, mauling defensive linemen 15 to 20 yards downfield are just jaw dropping. He might have been the last dominant left tackle. Made Shaun Alexender a candidate. One Super Bowl appearance where he dominated Joey Porter. You could make a strong argument that he's in the Ogden, Munoz group of elite offensive tackles. If I was forced to pick one player to send into the Hall, it would be him.

Derrick Brooks, Linebacker

Brooks and Sapp were the heart and sole of that defense. Lynch was the third level Hall of Fame candidate of that defense, but Brooks was the last truly dominant pure 43 outside linebacker the game has produced. I never cared for the Buccaneers, but Brooks was always one of my favorite defensive players to watch. He was incredible. His speed and anticipation were unreal. One of the smartest player in the game and a rare playmaker. He's the Ray Lewis version of outside linebackers. He should be a shoe-in.

Michael Strahan, Defensive End

Strahan should have gotten in last year. The best strong side defensive end I've ever seen. Great against the run and excellent power pass rusher. Holds the record for sacks in a single season and was a major reason why the Giants won a Super Bowl. He was a first ballot type of player. I can't imagine him having a long wait. I was surprised Sapp got in last year, but he didn't.

Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver

Harrison was part of the heyday of great wide receivers who seemingly dominated the NFL as true #1 options (Moss, Owens, Holt). On a yearly basis he was almost guaranteed to be in the Top 5 in the three major receiving categories. Obviously benefitted from playing with Manning, but the one knock I have on him is his postseason failures. Guys like Ike Taylor, Ty Law simply shut him down when during the regular season it seemed impossible to do. For a regular season wide out, there are few who can compare to his level of production and dominance. His lack of postseason success drops him a tad and hurts his legacy.

Sterling Sharpe, Wide Receiver

Sharpe to me was right there with Jerry Rice as the two best wide receivers in the league. His injury to limited his career, but his level of dominance was so spectacular that I can't fault a career ending injury against him. There's no telling how dominant he could have been and for just how long, especially paired with Brett Favre during what was the prime of Favre' career. He had long speed, size and strength... Just a truly unstoppable force, and I'm not quite sure we didn't see the peak of his prime.

Aeneas Williams, Corner Back

He's probably most remembered for ending Steve Young's career on a blind side hit, but he was one of the best pure cover corners the game has ever seen. A member of the all-decade team and one of the best technicians at his position. Other than playing in Arizona there's no reason why he doesn't make the Hall of Fame. Not the first ballot guy that Deion Sanders or Rod Woodson were, but he's equally deserving to make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw people talking about Kevin Greene on the previous page and it made me wonder how has he not gotten in? Was he the biggest dickhead to the media of all time? He put up great #s better then a lot of current 34 OLB in a era that was not so pass happy.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I suspect that Greene, Doleman, and Dent all had to wait a bit because voters were comparing them to Reggie White and Bruce Smith. It's just been the past few years that voters have begun to realize that nobody else is getting anywhere close to 200 sacks (the closest active players are in their 30's and still about 80+ sacks away).

Greene should be in and I think he will get in.

Last edited by WCH : 09-20-2013 at 09:04 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Marvin Harrison can wait in line. Terrell Owens > Marvin Harrison. Randy Moss > Marvin Harrison. Isaac Bruce > Marvin Harrison.

Do I hold Peyton Manning against him? Hell yes.

I don't think he was a fraud...the skill was there, but the difference between he and other similarly skilled receivers was he played with a QB who was a system in and of himself.

I wouldn't be totally against him getting in, but there are plenty of other guys who deserve to get in first. Henry Ellard, for example.

Sterling Sharpe...not as impressed with him as other people. He's wasn't even close to being in the class of Michael Irvin. Body catcher.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Four first-year eligible candidates – linebacker Derrick Brooks, coach Tony Dungy, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, and tackle Walter Jones – are among the 25 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2014.

In addition to the first-year eligible nominees, two other previously eligible candidates, coach Jimmy Johnson and guard Steve Wisniewski, made it to the semifinalist list for the first time.

Among the list of candidates who did make the cut were Art Modell and Steve Tasker, both of whom were semifinalists last year. In fact, Tasker has previously been a semifinalist six times.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...Semifinalists/
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jones and Harrison should both be first-ballot guys, but Harrison probably won't make it for a few reasons (specifically: the logjam at WR, and the "OMG, Marvin Harrison is a scary crime boss who shot somebody!" rumors).

I never really thought of Dungy as a HoF coach. He was a very good coach who put together very solid teams and he turned around the terrible Bucs, but he was also fired for his postseason failures and those struggles basically continued with the Colts.

I think Jimmy Johnson has a slightly better case, but I still don't think he'll make it. Johnson won two Super Bowls and his Cowboys won another one after he left. He also gave us the draft value chart, which quickly spread through the NFL and revolutionized the way that teams value picks. You can't write the history of the NFL without mentioning the early-90's Cowboys or the Herschel Walker trade. He didn't stick around in Dallas for very long though, and his stint in Miami was pretty uneventful.

There is a bit of logjam forming at pass-rusher. Greene and Strahan should definitely be in, and I think most agree that Haley should be as well. Unlike Strahan and Greene, Haley doesn't quite have the stats to back up his reputation. He's only 28th on the official sack list (and he'd be lower on the "real" sack list). He also never led the league in sacks. Plus, nobody liked Charles Haley. So, Haley is probably never making it in, but the others will hopefully make it at some point. Karl Mecklenburg is also an interesting player. 1000 tackles and 79 sacks is nothing to scoff at, but he's probably a "Hall of Very Good" player.

Tagliabue is probably going to get in soon, because we've all decided that we hate Goodell. I don't know how the owners would feel, but I think fans appreciate Tagliabue more with each passing year.

Walter Jones is as big a slam dunk as you're going to get. He's definitely a top-5 OT in the NFL history. Who was better? Munoz, Ogden, and maybe you could make a strong case for somebody like Art Shell or Jackie Slater (although, I wouldn't).

Derrick Brooks was incredible. If you want to put him in as a first ballot guy, then I sure wouldn't argue with you.

Last edited by WCH : 11-21-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Charles Haley's a HOF player. It's obvious watching him in old games. I don't give a damn about the career sack totals. DeMarcus Ware is a poor man's Charles Haley.

Plus, he came up big in the postseason...he didn't just come along for the ride for those 5 rings.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Charles Haley's a HOF player. It's obvious watching him in old games. I don't give a damn about the career sack totals. DeMarcus Ware is a poor man's Charles Haley.

Plus, he came up big in the postseason...he didn't just come along for the ride for those 5 rings.
I completely agree. I remember him as a real game-changer who should obviously be in. I'm just thinking that his stats are being used as an argument against him, by people who already don't want to let him in.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If ever a pass rusher was clutch in the biggest moments, it was Charles Haley. He shut teams down in the 4th quarter and he was the teeth behind both the 49ers and Cowboys SB defenses.
Haley was an totally dominant football player, just a little bit(a lot) nuts.

He should have been in the HOF years ago.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come on Craig!

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Shields should all ready be in.

Homer post of the day...