Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-01-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Boston Red Sox 2007 season thread

I tried editing the other one but it wouldn't change the title...

Season starts tomorrow in Kansas City. Curt Schilling vs. Gil Meche. Anyone else pumped?!?! I think we're looking pretty solid all the way around this year. All the matchups:

Quote:
Monday, April 2 Purchase Tickets Kauffman Stadium | 4:10 PM ET
BOS Curt Schilling, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Red Sox (0-0) @ KC Gil Meche, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Royals (0-0)

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: Schilling makes his second consecutive Opening Day start for the Red Sox. In last year's opener, he defeated the Rangers by allowing just five hits and two runs over seven innings. Schilling is 3-0 with a 2.93 ERA in six career Opening Day starts. After an injury-plagued 2005 season, Schilling re-emerged into one of the most dependable aces in the game last year. His 183 strikeouts were fifth in the American League. Schilling ranked sixth in winning percentage at .682. He led the Major Leagues with a 6.54 strikeouts-to-walk ratio. In his career against the Royals, Schilling is 3-2 with a 3.86 ERA.

Royals: Meche will make his Royals debut after signing a five-year $55 million contract in December. This will be his first Opening Day assignment in the Majors. He has a 3-1 career record with a 4.35 ERA in six games against the Red Sox.

Wednesday, April 4 Purchase Tickets Kauffman Stadium | 8:10 PM ET
BOS Josh Beckett, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Red Sox (0-0) @ KC Odalis Perez, LHP (0-0, -.--)
Royals (0-0)

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: Beckett is hoping to be more consistent in his second year in Boston. Still, he did achieve career-highs last year in wins and innings. Beckett pitched his best game of last season against the Royals, firing eight shutout innings. On the road, he was 9-5 with a 5.21 ERA. Beckett's 31 wins over the last two seasons rank eighth in the Major Leagues. Beckett has limited opponents to a .239 average over his first five seasons.

Royals: In his lone start against the Red Sox last season, Perez gave up three runs, two earned, on five hits in six innings, while striking out a season-high 10 batters in a no-decision. He left with a 5-3 lead, but the bullpen couldn't hold on to the lead.

Thursday, April 5 Purchase Tickets Kauffman Stadium | 2:10 PM ET
BOS Daisuke Matsuzaka, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Red Sox (0-0) @ KC Zack Greinke, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Royals (0-0)

Scouting Report:
Red Sox: After months of anticipation, Matsuzaka finally makes his official debut in a Red Sox uniform. At least during Spring Training, he appeared ready to live up to his lofty billing. Matsuzaka was a legend in Japan during his eight-year career with the Seibu Lions. He went 108-60 with a 2.95 ERA while producing 1,355 strikeouts. Matsuzaka also led Japan to victory in the Inaugural World Baseball Classic. En route to the MVP award, Matsuzaka went 3-0 with a 1.38 ERA.

Royals: Greinke, a 2002 first-round pick, spent most of last season with Double-A Wichita, where he went 8-3 with a 4.34 ERA in 18 games. He was a September callup after the Texas League playoffs and made three relief appearances. Greinke had a spectacular Spring Training to earn a rotation slot.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dice - K gets the toughest matchup with the kid Greinke. He was a phenom a few years back. Last year he walked away from the game , a bit of a head case. Seems he is back this year and right on track to be a future ace.

I am anxious to see the growth of the kids in Pawtucket this year. The rotation looks a little thin now with Paps in the pen. I hope the young guys start off strong b/c I think we will have another year of the constant injury watch.

God help Coco if he goes 0 for April....

In Tek we trust !
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

If Coco struggles, I think Drew shifts to center and Wily Mo gets more at bats. Coco pretty much just needs to get us through this year because Jacoby Ellsbury is going to be playing CF for the next 10 years starting next year.

I'm probably going to try to hit some of the minor league games this year. At least once for all three local farm teams, Lowell in A ball, Portland in AA and Pawtucket. I want to see Clay Buchholz pitch. We've got some nasty prospects in the system right now:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury OF, Portland 23
2. Clay Buchholz SP, Portland 22
3. Michael Bowden SP, Lancaster 20
4. Dustin Pedroia 2B, Boston 23
5. Bryce Cox RP, Portland 22
6. Daniel Bard SP, Lancaster 21

7. George Kottaras C, Pawtucket 23
8. Justin Masterson SP, Lancaster 22
9. Jason Place OF, Greenville 18
10. Lars Anderson 1B, Greenville 18

All from http://www.soxprospects.com/

The guys in bold are the ones everyone should be really excited about. Lars Anderson would have been a first round pick last year if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYONE thought he was going to college and wouldn't sign, so we ended up getting him in the 18th, paying first round money, and getting a guy that projects to be similar to Justin Mourneau. Buchholz and Bowden will start getting all the hype that Papelbon and Lester got two years ago, especially Buchholz since he is finally playing in New England. Bowden should be in Portland by the end of the year, and realistically, Bard may be too. Bryce Cox may be in our bullpen sometime this year. He's going to get a lot of hype too, and probably surpass Craig Hansen as our #1 bullpen prospect.

As for Zack Greinke, he's not quite the prospect he once was. I am glad Dice-K gets to ease his way in with the Royals. Due to the day off, Tavarez more than likely won't get his start this turn, which is fine with me...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

15 minutes to go!! Hurry up and stupid Yankees/DRays game!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Papi with an RBI double in the first, 1-0 Sox!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Rough first for Schilling, but it could have been worse. Struck out Gordon in his first major league at bat with the bases loaded...
Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Nice rip by Pedroia but he got caught being greedy haha. The kids gonna be good.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Safe to say Schill looks a bit rusty today. 5 runs through four, eesh. You know it's opening day when there's a sell out in KC...
Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Schilling's poor outing isnt really suprising. I think hell be better by the end of April though. 5-1 to KC through 5 is not a good way to start 2007.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Julio Lugo has been brutal, thankfully he actually got a hit at the end here...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:17 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was pretty bad. Hopefully Schill isn't declining, because he didn't look like the Curt Schilling I've seen in that game. Anyway....it will be interesting to see how Beckett does.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:08 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Schill was just missing his spots. Let's see if he has gone a'blogging yet...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Game 1 4/2/07 @ KC
Apr 2nd, 2007 by Curt Schilling

Not sure where to even start. Two words sum it up best, no command. Can’t remember a game where I couldn’t make adjustments but today was certainly one of those. Not so much the secondary pitches but no fastball command is not something that happens much, if at all, over an entire game (even if the ‘game’ for me only lasts 4 innings).

We grabbed a quick lead on David’s double, which followed Youk’s single and immediately I’m in a spot that pitchers crave. Shutting down the other team after you take a lead. It can be a morale booster to your team, and a morale breaker to the opponent. KC was coming off a spring training that saw them hit better than every team but one in Arizona so I knew they were swinging the bats well.

The bullpen wasn’t good or bad, felt fine and got loose easy.

Started Dejesus off with some fastballs, which felt like they got more life as I started to throw. Got in on him for a fly ball to right. Grud worked the count to 3-1, laying off the first change at 1-1, and a FB down and away ended up middle in for a hard single to left. Had Teahan down quick and left a split up for another single 1-2 (I think). First pitch slider to Sweeney didn’t slide, bad miss. Next slider was better and he stayed on it and hit it hard to right to load the bases. Gordon worked a 7 pitch AB, and chased a good split down for out #2. A lengthy AB from Shealy, saw me go to the split 3-2 which he took for ball 4 to walk in a run. I can’t remember if I ever done that? Made a lot of mistakes inside this one AB and it ended up costing us.Overthrowing some balls when I had a chance to end the AB earlier and missing spots too badly to even get him to offer. Gload went 0-1 on a FB away and then I got in on him with a 1-0 cutter for the final out. 33 pitches, bases loaded walk, 1-1 game.

Not the start I was hoping for. Walking off the mound I knew my FB command was crap, and that I’d need to get it right fast.

Buck led off the second with a rope to SS on a 3-2 fastball. Anytime I get to a 3-2 count I am bothered, but getting behind and into deep counts on primarily fastballs is a bad sign. You have to have the ability to make adjustments off mistakes, something I’ve always felt I do, and today I am not sure I did it more than once. Got Pena to two strikes and hung a split badly that he crushed for a triple. Worked some FB and cutters to Dejesus and ended up getting him looking at strike 3 on a fastball away. Two outs again, RISP. Grud hits a 2-0 change that again leave up in the zone, to RF and it’s 2-1. Work Teahan FB, change and get him chasing a split to end the inning.

Third inning starts with Sweeney flying out to center on a 1-0 change up. Gordon works another 7 pitch AB before freezing on a hanging split on the outside corner. I get Shealy to end the inning with a 2 seamer inside, for a GB to third. Gload grounds out on a split to start the second inning. Buck then hits a 1-1 2 seam FB down the LF line for a double. I then throw Pena 5 FBs, and walk him on a 3-1 count. None of the pitchers are anywhere near where I am trying to throw them and I’m wrestling with that while trying to dismiss it, and get the next guy. Dejesus hits a FB to left and again, I am 2 outs with RISP. Grud crushes a FB away that’s up, to deep right for a 2B and Teahan hits a first pitch back door slider that never gets to the back door back up the middle for another run. The inning ends on a 1-2 split that Mike chases.

8 Hits on 7 different counts. A huge bug for me last year was first pitch hits, which doesn’t happen until the final two hits in the fourth today. All five runs score with 2 outs. I had more than ample chances to make this a game, and never did. Inconsistent command and horrific execution cost us the game. When you are facing a guy like Gil certain things can make it easier or harder. He’ll walk some guys if you give your offense a chance. His stuff is so good that when offenses have to press against him, or their down and need to make something happen, he can eat you up. After the first he settled into a nice groove and executed. He pitched a hell of a game and hats off to the KC fans, this towns always been a great baseball city with great sports fans, pretty sure the day and the standing O will be lifetime memories, just always hope you aren’t the guy on the other side when someone has one of those kinds of days. I never let us get into the game after the first. Every inning they pushed and I didn’t push back.

Off day tomorrow and then Josh gets the ball on Wednesday.
http://38pitches.com/2007/04/02/game-1-4207-kc/
Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Josh Beckett is about to make his first start, here are tonight's lineups:

Red Sox

1. SS -- Julio Lugo: 0-2 vs. Odalis Perez. Three K's on Opening Day.
2. 1B -- Kevin Youkilis: 2-for-4 vs. Perez.
3. DH -- David Ortiz: 4-for-6 and a homer vs. Perez.
4. LF -- Manny Ramirez: 2-for-8 vs. Perez.
5. RF -- J.D. Drew: 2-for-7 vs. Perez.
6. 3B -- Mike Lowell: 2-for-14 with a home run.
7. C -- Jason Varitek: 1-for-5. Boy does he need to hit.
8. CF -- Coco Crisp: 2-for-6 vs. Perez.
9. 2B -- Dustin Pedroia: First time facing Perez. Two hits in the opener.
P -- Josh Beckett

Royals

1. CF -- David DeJesus: 2-for-11 vs. Beckett
2. 2B -- Mark Grudzielanek: 4-for-11
3. RF -- Mark Teahen: 2-for-6, 2 RBI vs. Beckett.
4. DH -- Mike Sweeney: 1-for-6 vs. Beckett.
5. 3B -- Alex Gordon: First time vs. Beckett.
6. LF -- Emil Brown: 0-for-3 vs. Beckett.
7. 1B -- Ross Gload: 0-for-1.
8. C -- Jason LaRue: 0-for-2 vs. Beckett. John Buck started on OD and homered.
9. SS -- Tony Pena: Two triples opening day. Great play behind the bag. Faces Beckett for the first time.
P -- Odalis Perez
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

<object width="400" height="130"><param name="movie"></param><embed src="http://www.boston.com/sports/openingDay_countdown2_032807.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="130"></embed></object>

Last edited by Jay : 04-04-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Double post...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

I wasn't sure how I felt about JD Drew during the offseason but I am very quickly becoming a fan.

1-0 Sox in the first on a Papi walk, Manny single and Drew double.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

3-0 Sox on a two RBI double by Lowell. \m/

All with two outs in the first. This thread is going to be like.... 200 pages by the end of the season hahaha...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Beckett is looking good so far, he's just having a hard time with his off-speed pitches, mainly the curve. The Royals aren't doing him any favors by biting at the close ones.

Lowell with two errors in the third. Wow. He's too good for that...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that was odd. He's battling. Hasn't settled in yet, but then again he's not getting the best from the umpire. A few that were called outside looked like strikes through my homer vision. But he's mixing his pitches. That's encouraging.
Just struck out Alex Gordon.
Just got out of a jam. Sit down rookie.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 04-04-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

His fastball is looking AMAZING. So much zip and power.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
His fastball is looking AMAZING. So much zip and power.
Yeah, I thought it was a little weird he didn't try a changeup on the 1-2 count though. But he does have a good fastball tonight.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

He's throwing too many first pitch changes and curves down in the zone and there is no pressure to bite. I agree. Some of that falls on Varitek, thought...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That's one of the first K's I've ever seen Beckett get on anything besides a fastball :p

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Some of these pitches are just missing, and the ump certainly isn't doing Josh any favors...