Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Da Bears Draft Thread

We needed a new thread for the new draft.

My thoughts on why we should draft Louis Nix with the 14th overall selection. As long as he checks out physically, he is a powerful force at the point of attack that can collapse the pocket. I have heard that there are some concerns about his health but I am going to assume that he is healthy. First off, Nix's strength at the point of attack will really help our run defense. He can take on two blocks and hold his area which will help stop those gashes up the gut of our defense. Secondly, although he is not an athletic freak like Melton was, he isn't a horrible pass rusher. He has a good bull rush move, and with some coaching could develop some more pass rushing moves. Third, I have heard a lot about us moving to a hybrid defense sometimes playing a 3-4 look. If this is true, Nix would give us a nose tackle in this formation, something I think we would lack otherwise.

If his stock ends up lower than 14 I wouldn't mind trading down a bit to get him either. An extra 3rd or 4th rd pick never goes amiss.

Thoughts?

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But you have no DE, Peppers will be cut and Sea is now a SOLB
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Nix. But I think a guy like Hageman gives the Bears more versatility at the DT position. He could play 1-tech, 3-tech, or if they go hybrid or 3-4, he could play 5-technique and maybe NT. Plus, I think a lot of Bears fans are a little shellshocked about the run D being so bad last year. It's still not as big of a deal as pass defense. Teams still attempted to throw the ball against the Bears 53% of the time. I've seen people who want the Bears to draft 2 big DTs like they had with Washington and Traylor 10 years ago. That's just insane to me.

I wouldn't be upset about Nix, because the good hybrid Ds do have big guys like him in the middle (Ngata, Mebane, Wilfork), and I do think he can provide some pass rush (3-5 sacks). But I think DE is a bigger need right now. Like was said, if they cut Peppers, the Bears will be down to Bass and Washington at DE with McClellin moved. The Bears were short a dynamic edge rusher as is. Granted they only have Paea under contract at DT, but despite last year, I do think the Bears could get by with averagish DTs if they had a potential double-digit sack guy off the edge.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 AM    (permalink
Mr. X
Rookie

Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.

I'm guessing our picks will play out as:

1) DT
2) Safety
3) DE
4) CB
5) DE/DT
6) ST LB/Project LB
7) Offensive ST player

Unless one of the OCs fall or the scouting staff have keyed on someone as a can't miss prospect, I think we hold off another year for a center. I'd actually rather bring in a young veteran center and use this draft to help the defense.
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Jomoz
Rookie

Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jomoz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Donald to the Bears seems like such a lock.
Jomoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Round 1 Pick 14: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh (A-)
Round 2 Pick 19: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington (A)
Round 3 Pick 18: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas (B+)
Round 4 Pick 17: Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor (B-)
Round 5 Pick 16: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (D-)
Round 6 Pick 7: Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming (B-)
Round 6 Pick 15: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (D-)
In the draft simulator I didn't trade at all and this is what I came out with.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Mr. X
Rookie

Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.

Round 1 - DT AARON DONALD PITTSBURGH
Round 2 - CB LAMARCUS JOYNER FLORIDA STATE
Round 3 - DE TAYLOR HART OREGON
Round 4 - ILB SHAYNE SKOV STANFORD
Round 5 - QB LOGAN THOMAS VIRGINIA TECH
Round 6 - RB DE'ANTHONY THOMAS OREGON
Round 6 - C BRYAN STORK FLORIDA STATE

I ended up deciding on using the last half of the draft to add some depth pieces/project players to the roster.

Fanspeak Draft Link

Last edited by Mr. X : 03-14-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Link to draft
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After free agency I'd put CB above S and DE as far as needs go.

Our first two picks should be DT and CB in either order, unless something else happens with FA. Everything else is competition and depth at positions that can be filled in later.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Dennard CB
2) Easly DT
3) Borland ILB
4) Fedorwicz (from Johnsburg, IL!) TE
5) A. Murray QB
6) Exum CB
6) Colvin CB

I'm going to play with this some more. It's fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So with the addition of Allen, do we move Houston to DT and roll with Allen - Houston - Ratliff - Young ?

I am still hoping we draft a DT in round one. I think there is some good talent there and that we can hold off on a safety/cb until round 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Young is just the 3rd DE. He's an adequate starter, but a better backup.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
So with the addition of Allen, do we move Houston to DT and roll with Allen - Houston - Ratliff - Young ?

I am still hoping we draft a DT in round one. I think there is some good talent there and that we can hold off on a safety/cb until round 2.
That's Hub Arkush's take on it. Not the round 1 DT thing, but the Lamaar Houston at UT thing. He thinks it means a first round Clinton-Dix or Pryor.

For my part, I'd grab a third-rounder or fourth-rounder with good upside or something (like a Caraun Reid) to play in an UT rotation with Houston and the underrated Nate Collins. When Houston is at UT, play Willie Young and Allen on the outside. When Houston is at LE, rotate Willie Young and Jared Allen to keep Allen fresh. The worst possible thing for Jared Allen's production would be to play him full time.

I support the first two rounds being a safety who doesn't look like a fool in coverage and a cornerback capable of being a number one starter just in case. Right now, we're gambling on Peanut Tillman being healthy AND not sucking, two things we didn't get from him last season. No one wants to see Kelvin Hayden trying to cover outside receivers (or even tight ends, but that's another post, entirely).

1: CB Darqueze Dennard
2: S Terrance Brooks
3: DT Caraun Reid
4: DE Ed Stinson
5: QB David Fales
6: RB Storm Johnson
6: S Vinnie Sunsieri

That's what I just got in a mock simulator. Seems too good to be true, but it's a good indicator of how I think we should be approaching things.

Last edited by Monomach : 03-31-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always look at team and player fit. With the signings of Allen and Houston. And having Ratliff. And with Green and Bostic learning under fire last year.

The player that fits you guys best is Calvin Pryor.
bigbuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM    (permalink
dawhizz
Rookie

dawhizz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1) Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt - Obvious choice. Also the right one.
**Trade down in 2nd, pick up extra 4th & 7th **
2) Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State - My favorite of the 2nd tier safety prospects.
3) LaMarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State - Height may push him down, but he could learn a lot from Jennings.
4) Trevor Reilly, LB, Utah - Versatile LB for depth
4) Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech - Tall like Emery likes them. After seeing what Trestman did with McCown, let's see what he can do with this skill set.
5) Storm Johnson, RB, Central Florida - New back-up RB.
6) Jon Dun Duncan, TE, Dixie State - Developmental receiving TE who can earn a spot as a long-snapper if Mannelly isn't back.
6) Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State - OT to develop.
7) Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan - I just like him and think he can stick in the NFL. Could earn a spot as a returner.
dawhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kyle Fuller. I'm delighted. Such a good feeling to have after a first round, lol.

Louis Nix, Timmy Jernigan, Kareem Martin, Kony Ealy, Terrence Brooks all still on the board. It'd be pretty great to get a chance at one of them in the second.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Ego Ferguson, really? Emery needs to stop thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and make sensible picks. Any one of the guys you said Mono would have been a much better choice.

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Yeah, Ego's definitely reaaaaally raw. Our defense sucks enough that I'm not sure we have the luxury of using a second rounder on a project.

Through most of three drafts, we can safely say that Emery loves his high ceiling/arena league floor guys.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Yeah, Ego's definitely reaaaaally raw. Our defense sucks enough that I'm not sure we have the luxury of using a second rounder on a project.

Through most of three drafts, we can safely say that Emery loves his high ceiling/arena league floor guys.
Yup. And I don't know about you but that rubs me the wrong way. I really don't like his drafting strategy. Especially, in a year where we are kind of going into win now mode; he has ignored our biggest need, safety, and stockpiled two high potential, but big bust factor DTs. The only pick I thought was ok talent wise was Fuller. I would have preferred Clinton Dix or a trade down and Ward, but jeese this draft is just looking ugly.

I think Emery needs to be fired. For his own sake. I don't mean that the way that sounds. I think he needs the experience of being fired for reaching and gambling so often to learn some restraint. I think his next job at gm he will gamble a bit less, and be a more responsible drafting gm. I think he has great ability to find talent, I just think he's too willing to make a gamble instead of safer plays.

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 AM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

vs. Travis Swanson. Pretty good run-stopper. Can you really blame them after having to sign Landon Cohen?
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

First Round: CB Kyle Fuller
Polished day-one player at a position with a huge need. Probably the best combo of off-man and zone coverage in this draft. This pick tells us that we don't have plans to play much press-man. A

Second Round: DT Ego Ferguson
Super raw prospect. Probably not a factor at all for a season or two. Too early for him. Does at least have very high upside. Bears told him he'd be playing the 2 technique, which is used in NFL base defenses basically never. The last defense I can remember using it regularly and not just on a few plays was the Oklahoma 5-2 or the High School Monster 5-2. Maybe this has something to do with McClellin being a LB/stand-up 5th lineman? D

Third Round: DT Will Sutton
Should be a fine rotation UT now that he'll have pro trainers deciding what his weight should be. Way more refined in every aspect of the game than Ferguson. Love his jump off the snap. We got him right around where he should have gone for what he is. B

Fourth Round: RB Ka'.Deem Carey
Slow, unathletic, muscular. LOTS of miles on his legs. Small, but has the fighting running style of a bowling ball type. Decent hands. Excellent pass protector, which is clearly what the Bears drafted him for. Character issues; slapped around his pregnant girlfriend and other run-ins with the law. Ought to be an upgrade from Bush. C+

Fourth Round: S Brock Vereen
I didn't scout him. Nice combine numbers. ?

Sixth Round: QB David Fales
Oh, hell yes. Accurate, fast release, intelligent coach on the field. Reportedly has a sparkling character and is a glue guy in the locker room. Arm is ok for the short game, but he shouldn't be throwing bombs or anything in a tight window. Should be nice in the West Coast. Best case: small Chad Pennington. Worst case: small Josh McCown. Either way, nice pick for our backup. A

Sixth Round: P Patrick O'Donnell
I dunno. Who watches punters? I read he's a good one who should start somewhere in the league, so that's nice. ?

Seventh Round: OT Charles Leno
Soft-bodied weakling. Got pushed around in college, will get pushed around in the NFL. Extremely unlikely to make the team. F

Last edited by Monomach : 05-11-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a little unfair to give an F for a 7th round pick, but at the same time, I'm not expecting much from Leno. The punting was terrible near the end of the season, so it's nice to see them address it. Fales will be able to thrive under Trestman IMO.
At this point, Vereen is a much better athlete than safety, he will need a lot of time in the film room and good reps to get good reads and good angles in run support and coverage.
Carey has a good all-around skill set, and can be a good backup, Briggs will keep him in check as the Arizona connection is there.
Sutton was my second favorite pick in this draft. He got bad advice last year to gain weight and he was slow and lethargic. He is down to 290 and hopefully regained some of that quickness that won him the Pac-12 POY.
Ferguson is a big gamble without doubt, considering how bad the Bears were against the run last year, we need a big guy in there, but he has to develop in order to see the field.
Fuller was my favorite pick in the draft. As long as he stays healthy, we've probably got a very good starter and maybe an All-Star caliber corner.
As far as Emery's drafts go, I would rather see him taking risks as opposed to Angelo's trading down in the 2-3 range, picking some "safe" guy in the first round that never panned out, some safety in the third round, some linebacker in the seventh round and rarely addressing needs.