Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > DraftCountdown.com Spotlight > "DC" Scouting Reports

"DC" Scouting Reports See the Latest Scouting Report Additions!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...ton-Patton.php

Please feel free to join the discussion on this prospect!

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He gets off the LOS against press very well. Huge positive for a young receiver.

He's smooth and sudden as an athlete. Smart football player. Seems like a good kid by all accounts.

Very good hands, can catch in traffic but would like to see more aggressiveness at the catch point.

I disagree with a few things:
1) He's absolutely an excellent young vertical receiver. He accelerates into his route, stacks the defender and separates very well. And he can track the ball down the field very well.

2) His route-running is very good. He has the awareness/body control/fluidity/quickness to be exceptional in that area. You can see it on the speed outs they run and with his quick feet at the LOS and all of his routes on the outside.

3) He doesn't look like a 4.40 guy but he might be under 4.5 on a good day and most importantly he consistently beats DBs on the field.

I don't want to credit him with 'better football speed' yet because I think he might have great natural speed when he works on his 40 technique.

Finally, the hustle play when he runs down the DL about to score and jars the ball loose is brilliance. Displays everything good about him and shows off his speed.

My concerns:

1) Nothing stands out about his skill set or size/leaping ability.
2) Seems thin.

Russ Lande has him as his 18th best prospect in the entire draft. While I think that's generous I also think Scott is a little off here.

If he puts in the work he has the potential to be a very good pro wide receiver. There's nothing he can't do. He's versatile in terms of playing receiver. Inside/outside, ball in his hands, against press, deep/short, shallows, etc.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Warriorz319
Rookie

Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patton seems like a solid WR at best, he has very good hands and solid route running ability but he seems to lack the desire, drive and ability to become a great WR. Reminds me a lot of J.J. Stokes, great hands but has concentration lapses and is just as likely to disappear in the game as he is to make a big splash play. I doubt he has the consistency to be a long term contributor to a NFL franchise and will more than likely be a journey man WR who is a special teamer. A solid 3rd or 4th round pick but any higher would be a mistake as he does nothing exceptionally well. Had a spectacular game vs Texas A&M but had plenty of games where he made no real impact despite being part of a high scoring offense. That's what he looks like to me anyway, the star of this team is the quick freshman RB Dixon.

Last edited by Warriorz319 : 12-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Warriorz319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorz319 View Post
Patton seems like a solid WR at best, he has very good hands and solid route running ability but he seems to lack the desire, drive and ability to become a great WR. Reminds me a lot of J.J. Stokes, great hands but has concentration lapses and is just as likely to disappear in the game as he is to make a big splash play. I doubt he has the consistency to be a long term contributor to a NFL franchise and will more than likely be a journey man WR who is a special teamer. A solid 3rd or 4th round pick but any higher would be a mistake as he does nothing exceptionally well. Had a spectacular game vs Texas A&M but had plenty of games where he made no real impact despite being part of a high scoring offense. That's what he looks like to me anyway, the star of this team is the quick freshman RB Dixon.
Do you follow the team closely and have basis for this assumption or are you guessing based on body language during games you've seen?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Warriorz319
Rookie

Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Warriorz319 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Do you follow the team closely and have basis for this assumption or are you guessing based on body language during games you've seen?
Not as close as I watch other teams, but I have seen a few of his Games and this is just the feeling he has left me, I'm not a scout and don't have the coaches tape to really evaluate him the way that Scott and Shane do but from the games I have gotten to see of him this season this was the impression I was left with. I don't think he is a bad prospect at all and I'm sure being compared to J.J. Stokes is not a favorable comparison it is just the guy who pops to mind when I see him play. I have seen him not fight as hard and seem disinterested in games where Cameron was not looking his way as much as he probably should have because White was having a great game. It is just what I have seen from when I watch them play.

Last edited by Warriorz319 : 12-26-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's absolutely an excellent young vertical receiver. He accelerates into his route, stacks the defender and separates very well. And he can track the ball down the field very well.
Disagree. I watched three full games and didn’t see him get significant separation vertically once. In fact, almost everything that wasn’t a quick hitter or bubble-screen was contested with a defender in his hip pocket. I do agree on the above average ball skills / body control though.

Quote:
His route-running is very good.
Kind of disagree. Not awful but needs to clean it up as I saw him round off a lot of routes. It's not a huge issue, just something that needs some tweaking and overall refinement.

Again, my biggest issue is his inability to generate separation, even against college competition.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Disagree. I watched three full games and didn’t see him get significant separation vertically once. In fact, almost everything that wasn’t a quick hitter or bubble-screen was contested with a defender in his hip pocket. I do agree on the above average ball skills / body control though.

Kind of disagree. Not awful but needs to clean it up as I saw him round off a lot of routes. It's not a huge issue, just something that needs some tweaking and overall refinement.

Again, my biggest issue is his inability to generate separation, even against college competition.
I tend to like high-production WRs way more than H/W/S guys with limited production, so that bias is evident in my arguments for guys like Patton (and even a guy like Cecil Shorts two years ago).

Against Illinois he had two long receptions. The first was on a flea flicker and he made a diving catch on a ball about 40 yards in the air. And the second was on a deep skinny post. You probably didn't scout that tape. You probably watched the Texas A&M tape and although he didn't get behind the defense, he still scored and made an impact. That's the sign of a good receiver - one who can get vertical but who can also make an impact.

Also, vertical receivers aren't born, they're developed and coincide with a big-time arm. Patton has everything you look for in a Devery Henderson-like threat and to me he plays just as fast as Nate Washington.

I think the crux of our argument is the speed factor. I think he's plenty fast enough, he's got all the traits you look for, and most importantly has used those attributes to perform at an extremely high level in college.

'Enough' separation is tricky. Clearly he separated enough against his opponents to the tune of *INSERT AMAZING STATS HERE THAT I'M NOT GOOGLING*. But you believe he'll be smothered as he steps up the competition ladder. We'll see.

Last edited by gpngc : 12-30-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Warriorz319
Rookie

gpngc Speed is only one part of what makes a great deep threat in the NFL, you have to be able to get off the line of scrimmage against the press or your speed is irrelevant (Troy Williamson), you have to be able to deceive corners and with your eyes and bodily movements to break away from tight coverage the way that Jordy Nelson does despite not having exceptional speed. These are more important than pure speed, the NFL is full of pure speed but that does not make a great WR or a great deep threat. Look at Sinorice Moss a few years back he was all speed with solid hands but he could not separate in coverage and could not get off the line to utilize his speed, despite being a 2nd round pick he was a complete washout at the NFL level even with his impressive speed and college stats as he could not master the nuances of being a great deep threat in the NFL. This is not to say that Patton cannot be a great deep threat, just that he has shown enough to question whether or not he has the ability to make an impact outside of quick routes and screens. Its great to see how passionate you are about this particular WR though and stick to your convictions that is rare on these kind of sites usually.

Last edited by Warriorz319 : 12-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Got off the LOS well at the sr bowl. Interesting player. He could really make some money with a big time40. If he runs 4.55ish I still think he's worth a pick. Too much natural receiving gifts.