Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think that's the case on this forum, where people are giving mostly unbiased opinions and analysis. You can expect even-handed discourse from the known posters here. When I hear something from you, #10, or BBD, I take it as quality work. As for your points:

1. Eli has all the skills, and he has put up numbers in crunch time and against excellent teams early in the season. It's not like he always dominates the little guys and always struggles in big spots.

2. Coughlin does take a lot of crap, but he's not beyond reproach. Whenever a team is hanging with the Giants at halftime, they have an excellent chance to win if they can adjust and execute because Coughlin and his guys are slower to adjust than other teams. That is a calling card of Coughlin even when he was with the Jaguars.

Overall, I'm not one to critique or give crap to someone unless I believe it is warranted. In this case, I see a Giants team that has underachieved the last 2 seasons. I've seen them win close games sometimes, but lose more winnable games than they should. The players deserve some of the blame, but the coach deserves some as well.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
1. Perhaps Eli isn't as good as we all want him to be. I'm becoming more accepting of that fact every day.

2. I was just making a general statement. Coughlin gets a lot of crap in the media. And its all not nearly warranted. He gets a lot of the blame for Eli's troubles and the passing game, but then on the other side Tiki gets all the credit for the rushing attack. The media in NY hates him, for various political and personal reasons. When attempting to criticize Coughlin they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.
Eli can be a very good qb. The one game where TC actually did what we all wanted him to do all season long was the 2nd game against Dallas.

That game, he gave Eli the short and intermediate routes we've all been begging him to give him. The results?

24/36
270 Yards
2 TDs
0 INTs

The ONE time we adjusted the playbook to make life easier on Eli, he does that. But it resulted in a loss, not because of Eli, but the defense, but whatever. We lost, and because of that, we went right back to the same old bs.

This is why Coughlin holds Eli back. Eli has what it takes, but he's not Peyton. You can't give Eli the same scheme that Peyton thrives at, and assume just bc theyre brothers, that Eli will run it well too. Eli needs more intermediate and short routes for his game. Thats what he needs. And Coughlin doesn't give it to him.

Its also no coincidence that Eli had his best #s in the no huddle.

Why?

Because our no huddle had intermediate and short routes in it. Our conventional sets dont.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 04-03-2007 at 02:06 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could use more intermediate and short routes, but for one thing Eli underthrows those balls. And another thing, once Amani went out we didn't really have one player capable of really running those routes.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I don't think that's the case on this forum, where people are giving mostly unbiased opinions and analysis. You can expect even-handed discourse from the known posters here. When I hear something from you, #10, or BBD, I take it as quality work. As for your points:

1. Eli has all the skills, and he has put up numbers in crunch time and against excellent teams early in the season. It's not like he always dominates the little guys and always struggles in big spots.

2. Coughlin does take a lot of crap, but he's not beyond reproach. Whenever a team is hanging with the Giants at halftime, they have an excellent chance to win if they can adjust and execute because Coughlin and his guys are slower to adjust than other teams. That is a calling card of Coughlin even when he was with the Jaguars.

Overall, I'm not one to critique or give crap to someone unless I believe it is warranted. In this case, I see a Giants team that has underachieved the last 2 seasons. I've seen them win close games sometimes, but lose more winnable games than they should. The players deserve some of the blame, but the coach deserves some as well.
Right back at you Bzaza....but don't keep Jug out of that compliment. He might be one of the more level-headed posters on the entire board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was talking back to Jug, so he was instantly included in that compliment. Sorry if there was any confusion.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-03-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
I was talking back to Jug, so he was instantly included in that compliment. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Oh I see that now, my bad.

Eagles still suck though.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post

Lol, it was due sooner or later.

They got the last laugh though.

Damn you run defense. Damn you to hell.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If making the playoffs 6 of 7 years and being considered one of the 5 best-run franchises in recent history sucks, I guess my favorite team sucks...

Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

lol. That's right, give 'em an inch, they take a mile, way to go preventing that!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

At least the Giants have won a division title in recent memory. The Eagles and Giants have split the last 8.

1999 (Giants)
2000 (Eagles)
2001 (Eagles)
2002 (Eagles)
2003 (Eagles)
2004 (Eagles)
2005 (Giants)
2006 (Eagles)

Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
At least the Giants have won a division title in recent memory. The Eagles and Giants have split the last 8.

1999 (Giants)
2000 (Eagles)
2001 (Eagles)
2002 (Eagles)
2003 (Eagles)
2004 (Eagles)
2005 (Giants)
2006 (Eagles)
I didn't even realize that. For all the Washington and Dallas chit chat, we seem to be the only ones who have some sort of right to talk junk.

Ironically, most of us don't. Both Eagles and Giants fans that is. Except the filler homers that come and go.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The Cowboys last won a division title in 1998. The Redskins' last division title was 1991.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I like how we highjacked this thread and took it completely off topic.

Good work men.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The Cowboys last won a division title in 1998. The Redskins' last division title was 1991.
I remember that 91 skin team. Very underrated imo. While most give the 90s Cowboys credit for being the best oline ever, I believe that the HOGs of the 80s deserve that credit.

3 SBs with 3 different qbs, 4 SB appearances, and all done with high power offenses? Thats amazing.

Teams have won SBs without franchise qbs, but they all did it with defense. Gibbs did it with offense, something I didn't think was possible. And that common denominator was the dominance of the HOGs. Best oline unit ever.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I know this sounds crazy, but I actually liked the 1991 Redskins. The Eagles were good, but I really didn't like Buddy Ryan. At the time, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with rooting for the exciting offensive team. I think I was just hoping for a good Super Bowl at the time (was too young to really recognize that I should never root for division rivals). I remember liking Rypien because he came out of nowhere. I also liked the way Art Monk played the game. Joe Gibbs also reminded me of my grandfather in the way he carried himself.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I like how we highjacked this thread and took it completely off topic.

Good work men.
Nobody else remains to post since nobody sees how 'nfc quarterbacks' translates to this... quite funny.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McNabb is clearly the best QB in the NFC East if not the whole NFC, when healthy. If he stays healthy, the Eagles will again dominate the Division, if not they will struggle.

Eli plays for a HC who believes strongly in the run. Still he has made the playoffs 2 out of his 3 years in the league. It will be very interesting to see if his HC turns to him more now that Barber has retired and opens up the passing game. I think his best years are still ahead of him but his OL has become suspect and his HC is definitely on the hot seat. Could turnout to be a real mess in New York.

Campbell is just coming into his own. He's never going to be a spectacular QB but Gibbs will never ask him to be one, just a great game manager. If Washington's pass rush can be upgraded this season, they should at least contend for a Super Bowl appearance. This should be Campbell's year to shine.

Romo is in tough. A lot of high expectations for him without a dominate HC like Parcells who could deflect the criticism. Just have to see which direction he goes in. Nothing is written in stone with Romo.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Nobody else remains to post since nobody sees how 'nfc quarterbacks' translates to this... quite funny.
Eh whatever. This discussion was better than 95% of the discussion on these forums wheter it was on topic or not.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I have to help DMW fend off BBD, Jughead, #10 and bsaza....

Just kidding.

The bottom line is that Romo isn't as good as we thought. Eli isn't as good as NYG thought. Campbell isn't as good as Snyder thought and McNabb is better than Limbaugh thought.

The Eagles are the top 1 or 2 run franchises in the NFL. They should remain the favorite in the division.

Both the Giants and the Cowboys hopes rely on the defense this year, NOT the Quarterback. Average QB play will get both of them in the playoffs with above average Defensive play (which they both should have).

The Redskins MUST have exceptional play from Campbell to get into the playoffs. Not exceptional stats necessarily with Portis and Betts getting alot of playing time next year. He needs efficiency and very low turnover numbers. Their Defense will be average at best next year. They need efficient offense to make the playoffs.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Eh whatever. This discussion was better than 95% of the discussion on these forums wheter it was on topic or not.
I wasn't complaining, I was constatating. Subtle difference.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Well, I have to help DMW fend off BBD, Jughead, #10 and bsaza....

Just kidding.

The bottom line is that Romo isn't as good as we thought. Eli isn't as good as NYG thought. Campbell isn't as good as Snyder thought and McNabb is better than Limbaugh thought.

The Eagles are the top 1 or 2 run franchises in the NFL. They should remain the favorite in the division.

Both the Giants and the Cowboys hopes rely on the defense this year, NOT the Quarterback. Average QB play will get both of them in the playoffs with above average Defensive play (which they both should have).

The Redskins MUST have exceptional play from Campbell to get into the playoffs. Not exceptional stats necessarily with Portis and Betts getting alot of playing time next year. He needs efficiency and very low turnover numbers. Their Defense will be average at best next year. They need efficient offense to make the playoffs.
Hey now. I actually didn't even say one thing about Romo for once in this thread. Good or bad
Old 04-03-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I also did not mention Romo until now.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
See, now this is why these threads get out of hand. I, in no way was making a comparison to Manning and Romo but being the insecure Cowboys fan you are, you feel that throwing out numbers that can't be taken seriously because of the situations they were thrown into down the stretch was needed. I was simply implying that Romo really struggled down the stretch (last 5 games) and that is usually the case when young QBs have early. Defenses figure out their weaknesses and exploit them and it is up the coaching staff and QB himself to minimize those exploitations. Romo did not do that down the stretch, that's all.
Um, why would me trying to bring some perspective to a bunch of horsesh** talk make the thread get out of hand? Doesn't make any sense to me. This is a thread devoted (until BBD's crew took the wheel and made a hard left :P) to discussing NFC East QBs. If you can't take your QB's performance being stacked up against the performance of another QB, then what are you doing in a thread like this?

I am curious how you feel you can substantiate your claims that "throwing out numbers that can't be taken seriously because of the situations they were thrown in" and, more importantly, that Romo "struggled down the stretch". So, tell me exactly what the first quote means, and then show me your proof for how Romo struggled down the stretch. I am raptly attentive.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

To be fair, Romo and Campbell haven't even started a full season yet. We should probably wait to seriously discuss all NFL QBs' merits and weaknesses until midway through this season, which will mark about 16 total starts for all of these QB's.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Um, why would me trying to bring some perspective to a bunch of horsesh** talk make the thread get out of hand? Doesn't make any sense to me. This is a thread devoted (until BBD's crew took the wheel and made a hard left :P) to discussing NFC East QBs. If you can't take your QB's performance being stacked up against the performance of another QB, then what are you doing in a thread like this?

I am curious how you feel you can substantiate your claims that "throwing out numbers that can't be taken seriously because of the situations they were thrown in" and, more importantly, that Romo "struggled down the stretch". So, tell me exactly what the first quote means, and then show me your proof for how Romo struggled down the stretch. I am raptly attentive.
My point is that we were discussing that Romo did not play well in December, and then I see Eli Manning's stats over the last 4 games. What the hell does that have to do with a discussion about Romo and his dropoff in play? You know what I think it is? I think it's a defensive Cowboys fan trying to put attention elsewhere because all of you reached some sort of emotional peak with Romo's early performance, only to be brought back down to earth. Thus, pointing to Eli's struggles down the stretch (which were definitely poor) made you personally feel better. Yes this is an NFC East thread, but we dove into an analysis if you will concerning Romo, and Romo only.

As for my quotes that bothered you

1-Comparing the situations of the two teams down the stretch is not entirely fair. They played a similar strength of schedule, yes....but Romo was not missing his LT and was not missing his most reliable WR. The Cowboys #2 and #3 WRs were much eaiser to work with than the likes of Tim Carter, David Tyree, Michael Jennings, whoever else you want to throw in there. Yet they still had similar numbers in December.

2-Romo's last 5 games were well below the standard he was put at after his hot start. Watching those games, he did not appear nearly as confident in the pocket and his ball security took a major nosedive.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED