Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default BlackBerry10

I have a BlackBerry 9670 (it's the flip BB). I got it about 2 years ago and I don't really get my rocks off with the iPhone so I have resisted upgrading. I do like alot about my BB - the mail, messaging and keyboard. The web browser experience completely sucks.

I have been reading about the BB10 though - the new BB web browser is supposed to be much better than safari and I have seen some vids regarding the keyboard which will be a touch screen but pretty big keys and some cool touches to make typing a little easier.

I am leaning towards purchasing the BB 10 when it comes out at the end of Janurary rather than go the iPhone/Samsung smart phone route. The BB10 seems to be RIM's hail mary to get back into the market they owned up until the iPhone took over.

Has anyone else had their eye on the BB10? Would like to hear others thoughts/recommendations - especially other BB users.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had a blackberry curve before having a droid and now an iphone. I loved my blackberry. But they're just dated. They haven't evolved with the rest of the market and it's time to move on.

Forget the interface for a second, their app store is terrible as well. The only great thing about blackberry anymore is their email system, which is second to none. Hands down the best email system on the market, even to this day.

But they're so dated, they're done.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I had a blackberry curve before having a droid and now an iphone. I loved my blackberry. But they're just dated. They haven't evolved with the rest of the market and it's time to move on.

Forget the interface for a second, their app store is terrible as well. The only great thing about blackberry anymore is their email system, which is second to none. Hands down the best email system on the market, even to this day.

But they're so dated, they're done.
I will have to see what the reviews say when it is released. It looks like a great piece of hardware - like I said I realize this is their Hail Mary effort to get back into the smart phone game. Apps are nice but I really only use my phone to text, email, call people and access the internet. The hardware itself looks really nice. I could see RIM carving out its own niche market - there are a ton of BB users out there that probably have a degree of loyalty and will get this smart phone.

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...12-16-1.487478

http://www.businessinsider.com/rims-...nst-it-2012-12

BBD - What iPhone do you have? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had a BlackBerry 9810 (the one with both the touch screen and physical keyboard) for a while now and it's probably the best cell phone I've ever owned. I don't even care that all of my buddies make fun of me for still using a BlackBerry!

I haven't done much research on BlackBerry 10 yet so not sure if I will upgrade when it's released or not. I wouldn't mind getting an iPhone but I've been with T-Mobile for well over a decade and have been very happy with them, plus it would be almost twice as much every month to get a similar iPhone plan on another network. In other words it's probably BlackBerry's for me until T-Mobile gets off their ass and finally strikes a deal with Apple.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I've had a BlackBerry 9810 (the one with both the touch screen and physical keyboard) for a while now and it's probably the best cell phone I've ever owned. I don't even care that all of my buddies make fun of me for still using a BlackBerry!

I haven't done much research on BlackBerry 10 yet so not sure if I will upgrade when it's released or not. I wouldn't mind getting an iPhone but I've been with T-Mobile for well over a decade and have been very happy with them, plus it would be almost twice as much every month to get a similar iPhone plan on another network. In other words it's probably BlackBerry's for me until T-Mobile gets off their ass and finally strikes a deal with Apple.
You could look for a factory unlocked iPhone and connect it with T-Mobile.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
I will have to see what the reviews say when it is released. It looks like a great piece of hardware - like I said I realize this is their Hail Mary effort to get back into the smart phone game. Apps are nice but I really only use my phone to text, email, call people and access the internet. The hardware itself looks really nice. I could see RIM carving out its own niche market - there are a ton of BB users out there that probably have a degree of loyalty and will get this smart phone.

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...12-16-1.487478

http://www.businessinsider.com/rims-...nst-it-2012-12

BBD - What iPhone do you have? What are your thoughts on it?
I have the iPhone 5 and I love it. But honestly, the debate btw going S3 or iPhone 5 is up to the user's personal preferences.

Being such a hardcore blackberry guy, I feel like you'll like Android more bc the OS is more similar to blackberry than iOS is.

I like the iPhone 5 better bc the apps are better, more apps, better gaming, iOS is smoother and more reliable and the phone is faster and simpler than Android.

But if you like features, customization, bigger screens, and a more complicated interface, go with Android.

I used the s3 is an amazing phone. If I didn't get the iPhone i'd recommend an s3 to anyone who feels the iPhone 5 isn't for them.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need to just sell their encryption patents and go out of business they can't compete.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'd love for apple and android to be able to use their encryption patents. That's the only thing blackberry has going for themselves right now.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Blackberry 10 OS doesn't see immediate returns, RIM may go under and be forced to liquidate. I wouldn't buy one of their products simply based on that reality. They are in fairly dire straits.

Lots of business are turning off their BBS servers and moving on to new platforms.

I have been kind of intrigued by their stuff shown off so far, but none of it looks like a world changer and isn't good enough to move me off of Android. I honestly wonder if there is even a market for their products anymore.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The bank I work for just dropped blackberries and started using iPhones.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
If the Blackberry 10 OS doesn't see immediate returns, RIM may go under and be forced to liquidate. I wouldn't buy one of their products simply based on that reality. They are in fairly dire straits.

Lots of business are turning off their BBS servers and moving on to new platforms.

I have been kind of intrigued by their stuff shown off so far, but none of it looks like a world changer and isn't good enough to move me off of Android. I honestly wonder if there is even a market for their products anymore.
The corporate world still uses them some. I know they offer us blackberries where I'm at bc the email feature is still the best in the business.

But most places are switching over to iphones now.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

The fed govt uses blackberry - they are probably the biggest single customer. I also have read that BB has been pushing it's presence internationally which makes me think that RIM might stick around.

I do agree though that this phone is all or nothing for BB and RIM. That's what makes me somewhat skeptical. I do like what I have seen though.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Found this review:
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/...retty-awesome/

My provider is sprint and they said they will be carrying one of the models later in the year. Not sure I can wait that long. I would like to get a new phone by the end of the month.