Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Browns Draft Thread

Like the man said, decisive off season and draft for the franchise. Realistically poised to field a contending team with the right signal caller and HC. My top QBs, big board and Browns big board for December.

Top Ten QBs:

1. Theodore Bridgewater
2. Blake Bortles
3. John Manziel
4. Brett Smith
5. Zachary Mettenberger
6. Tajh Boyd
7. Brett Hundley
8. Raymond Anthony McCarron
9. Derek Carr
10. Garrett Gilbert
11. Jeff Matthews
12. Logan Thomas

Overall Big Board:

1. DE Anthony Barr
2. OT Greg Robinson
3. QB Teddy Bridgewater
4. TE Eric Ebron
5. WR Sam Watkins
6. LB C.J. Mosley
7. QB Blake Bortles
8. LB Kyle Van Noy
9. DE Jadeveon Clowney
10. TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
11. CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
12. CB Darqueze Dennard
13. QB John Manziel
14. CB Jason Verrett
15. OG David Yankey
16. LB/DE Khalil Mack
17. OT Jake Matthews
18. WR Odell Beckham Jr
19. RB Carlos Hyde
20. WR Marqise Lee
21. QB Zachary Mettenberger
22. LB Shayne Skov
23. OG La'El Collins
24. CB Darqueze Dennard
25. RB Charles Sims
26. LB Max Bullough
27. RB Andre Williams
28. DE Chris Smith
29. S Calvin Pryor
30. WR Jordan Matthews
31. QB Brett Smith
32. WR Jeremy Gallon

Browns Big Board

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Blake Bortles
3. John Manziel
4. Greg Robinson
5. C.J. Mosley
6. David Yankey
7. Sam Watkins
8. Kyle Van Noy
9. Marquise Lee
10. Ryan Shazier
11. Zach Mettenberger
12. La’El Collins
13. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
14. Brett Hundley
15. Cyril Richardson
16. Carlos Hyde
17. Odell Beckham Jr
18. Andre Williams
19. Max Bullough
20. Charles Sims
21. Brett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 12-30-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Theodore Bridgewater
2. Blake Bortles
3. John Manziel
4. Brett Smith
5. Zachary Mettenberger
6. Tajh Boyd
7. Brett Hundley
8. Raymond Anthony McCarron
9. Derek Carr
10. Garrett Gilbert
11. Jeff Matthews
12. Logan Thomas

My QB board is quite different at this point in the draft process. Of course, the post season will impact it.

1) Bridgewater
2) Manziel
3) Carr
4) Hundley if he declares
5) Bortles - I just don't think Bortles has the arm strength to rank higher
6) McClarron
7) Garropolo - Could go higher if he excels in the post season
8) Mettenberger
9) Boyd
10) Logan Thomas
Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get Garropolo at all. He's John Beck.

Peter King printed the Browns like John Manziel. Looks like an early smokescreen. Bortles throws the occasional duck but generally I think he's got a strong arm.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post

Peter King printed the Browns like John Manziel. Looks like an early smokescreen. Bortles throws the occasional duck but generally I think he's got a strong arm.
Here's a pro scouts report on Bortles, the good and the bad.:

Bortles is an intriguing quarterback prospect with the desirable physical dimensions and talent to be a coveted player in NFL draft rooms. He has improved steadily throughout his career, and notched a few distinguished wins that will lead some evaluators to see him as a franchise-caliber quarterback. However, I believe it is important to keep his value in perspective when comparing him to the recent classes of quarterbacks that have produced the likes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. While each of the aforementioned players has endured a varying degree of struggles in the NFL, there wasn't any doubt about their talent or dominance at the collegiate level. They stood out on game tape and looked like Day 1 NFL starters (most didn't expect Wilson to be the star he has become, but most believed he was a natural leader and exceptional talent despite his diminutive dimensions).

Looking at Bortles on tape, I simply don't get those feelings. I see a good player with a lot of upside, but I don't see a transcendent star that will significantly change the fortunes of a dismal franchise. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be an effective starter for a team, but I believe it will take him some time to develop into a solid player as a pro.

When a scout is placing a grade on a prospect, he must take that potential into account, and I can't place a top-10 grade on a quarterback that is good, not great, at this time. Bortles strikes me as a prospect comparable to Nick Foles coming out of college. While Foles has exceeded expectations to this point of his career, the jury is still out on whether he will truly become a franchise quarterback. That's how I see Bortles, which is why I would grade him as a borderline first-round prospect at this point. He can start and win games in the NFL, but he will need some time to develop in the right system to become an impact player as a pro.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I only have him at #7, he has a solid pro arm but his pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired. The post season will be huge for him and could go either way.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Here's a pro scouts report on Bortles, the good and the bad.:

Bortles is an intriguing quarterback prospect with the desirable physical dimensions and talent to be a coveted player in NFL draft rooms. He has improved steadily throughout his career, and notched a few distinguished wins that will lead some evaluators to see him as a franchise-caliber quarterback. However, I believe it is important to keep his value in perspective when comparing him to the recent classes of quarterbacks that have produced the likes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. While each of the aforementioned players has endured a varying degree of struggles in the NFL, there wasn't any doubt about their talent or dominance at the collegiate level. They stood out on game tape and looked like Day 1 NFL starters (most didn't expect Wilson to be the star he has become, but most believed he was a natural leader and exceptional talent despite his diminutive dimensions).

Looking at Bortles on tape, I simply don't get those feelings. I see a good player with a lot of upside, but I don't see a transcendent star that will significantly change the fortunes of a dismal franchise. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be an effective starter for a team, but I believe it will take him some time to develop into a solid player as a pro.

When a scout is placing a grade on a prospect, he must take that potential into account, and I can't place a top-10 grade on a quarterback that is good, not great, at this time. Bortles strikes me as a prospect comparable to Nick Foles coming out of college. While Foles has exceeded expectations to this point of his career, the jury is still out on whether he will truly become a franchise quarterback. That's how I see Bortles, which is why I would grade him as a borderline first-round prospect at this point. He can start and win games in the NFL, but he will need some time to develop in the right system to become an impact player as a pro.
I'm not a huge fan of Bucky's takes on prospects.

That said, he's a good upside guy for this FO to bank on. All indications are that Hoyer will get an opportunity to start. If he plays near the level he looked during his short stint, he'll play the majority of the year if not all 16 if healthy.

An intangible I think that's important about Bortles is that he led 5 come from behind victories for UCF this season.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 01-01-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I really believe that this years crop of QB is very deep with as many as 5 or 6 going in round 1 an another 3 or 4 in round 2. Hence, the post season will likely see quite a bit of changes in QB ranking so my list certainly isn't set in stone at this stage of the process. It is simply my preliminary list.
I believe we will draft a QB, just haven't a clue yet, who it will likely be.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Supposedly, the job is McDaniels' if he wants it.
If he's the guy, who would he prefer as his QB?

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Supposedly, the job is McDaniels' if he wants it.
If he's the guy, who would he prefer as his QB?
Well, he drafted Tebow at Denver when he had control of the draft, so I hope he has little say about who we draft at QB. I think it is going to come down to Carr, Bortles or Hundley, I just pray for once that they get it right.

I'm assuming that Bridgewater and Manziel will be picked by Houston and Jacksonville.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Well, he drafted Tebow at Denver when he had control of the draft, so I hope he has little say about who we draft at QB. I think it is going to come down to Carr, Bortles or Hundley, I just pray for once that they get it right.

I'm assuming that Bridgewater and Manziel will be picked by Houston and Jacksonville.
He'd have some input to be sure. Tebow was a monumental failure because he was never able to master his mechanics. But other traits, like mobility, competitiveness, production might still be held high.

Honestly, I'm still in shock over Chudzinski. Even discussing McDaniels as the next HC is surreal. I feel like a good argument could be made for any of Manziel, Bortles or Mallett as the guy. Carr is further tiers down imo. Hundley scares me. The upside is sizable but he's a very limited passer at this point-it's literally either short dump or bucket throw.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Hey, I've been in shock with Browns for at least the last decade, but I just have to believe that getting rid of Lerner will prove to be the luckiest thing that ever happened to Brown's fans, Being also a Detroit and Buffalo fan, I know what owner longevity means and it isn't pretty when they are totally incompetent.

I also just got to believe that the new owner will be better by a mile and trust in any decision at least for a few years, I'm willing to go along with anything for a few years at least, if after that I see no improvement, I'll come out attacking the organization with a passion if I'm still alive. Turned 70 this year so I just want to see my Browns' be a consistent serious contender one more time. I was brought up following Jimmy Brown's every move( Cleveland games were the only ones shown in Toronto until the Bills came into existence) and I never missed watching every Brown's game till then.

Have a Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now I really want...

1.) Manziel
1.A) Best WR prospect on the board, if Evans is there I think you pair him back up with Manziel
2.) Best guard available to slot in at right guard

Thats what I am hoping for anyway.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Right now I really want...

1.) Manziel
1.A) Best WR prospect on the board, if Evans is there I think you pair him back up with Manziel
2.) Best guard available to slot in at right guard

Thats what I am hoping for anyway.
Could actually happen but Jacksonville will likely take Manziel.

How do you feel about trading up past Jacksonville with the Rams, it could cost a 2nd rounder but we would be assured of getting Manziel, otherwise it's likely going to be Carr or Bortles.

Also feel we need a consistent RB for a rookie QB, might have to take him over a WR as we need OG help for sure. I guess we will be holding our breath on draft day, a not uncommon practice.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not the biggest Bortles fan. Honestly Watkins to me, is the most explosive and dangerous player in the draft. I would hate to pass on him. I'm starting to become interested in Manziel but not at 4. We have the ammunition for a trade up after our first selection, at least.

Or do you take Bortles at 4 and Odell Beckham later?

We have some rock solid opportunities this year to address glaring needs. And I won't shut the **** up until the interior offensive line is addressed.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

As for me, If we find a franchise QB, I'll be a happy man, if we don't, we will be drafting top 5 again next year and the year after till the QB problem is solved. There can be no other priority for this team than finding a franchise QB.

Likely we will draft Bortles or Carr, whichever one blows it up in the post season. After that, IMO, we need a RB and some help along the OL before worrying about a WR. The WR position is deep this year, so we'll get some help there later in the draft.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

IAC. Too much Carr love.

Rumors are there's some buzz for Malzahn. Grantland: The Making of a Modern-Day Guru I'm intrigued. Also heard Adam Gase. I looked into Gase last season as a potential OC for a new HC, now he's already getting HC opportunities. I like him but he's getting too much credit for the Broncos success. I don't see how he's all that much different than Chud.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
IAC. Too much Carr love.

Rumors are there's some buzz for Malzahn. Grantland: The Making of a Modern-Day Guru I'm intrigued. Also heard Adam Gase. I looked into Gase last season as a potential OC for a new HC, now he's already getting HC opportunities. I like him but he's getting too much credit for the Broncos success. I don't see how he's all that much different than Chud.
Like I said, the post season will sort out the QB's, I really not sure past Bridgewater and Manziel and I believe they'll both be gone by our pick. Really just throwing a few QB names out there.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Ray Farmer knows which QB he'd take if the NFL draft were today.

Quote:
Q: If you had to pick a quarterback tomorrow, do you have your man?

A: Yes, I do. I've studied the quarterbacks and I've studied other players, and I've already started to formulate the rank and order of each position. I do know what I'd do if I was held down at the moment. It doesn't mean that can't change, but I currently have somebody in front.

Q: Will you draft a quarterback?

A: I don't think we have to do anything. The charge is to get it right regardless of which position. (But) I there are players in this draft who can help us at that position and dependent upon where they're at and where we're at, if the two can match up, we can be in good shape. I just don't know if we're going to have the opportunity to take those players.

Q: The guy you have in mind, would you take him at No. 4?

A: I'd say that No. 4 is not necessarily where I would take the guy that I like. Again, it may not be the name that everybody thinks is the latest, greatest, and the easy one to spot. There's definitely an art to selecting people in the draft and it's finding the right name that fits who you want to be.

Q: Do the coaches and scouts know who your No. 1 quarterback is?

A: I haven't revealed to many people who that person is that I may like. I think it's an interesting debate. If I were to say 'I like player A' I don't know if it poisons the pool. I'll let everybody else have the conversations before I comment. They might say 'I like player A too' instead of giving honest feedback.

Q: NFL Network reported that you liked Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota before he decided not to come out, and that you might to be as bullish on Manziel as your predecessor were. Are those things true?

A: It's interesting how that's out there, because nobody's ever asked me who I like. I can tell you that I watched a lot of quarterbacks this year. I put a lot of grades on them, and I would never share those grades with anyone. So whoever released that information, they're guessing.

Q: What do you think of Johnny Football? Your offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has already said, 'who wouldn't like him?'

A: He's a good football player. That's what Kyle recognizes, that guys that are exciting to watch and can play football, that's positive. The really good ones are easy to spot. The guys that jump off the tape, those are the fun ones and those are the days that you sit in the film room and wish you could watch two more games.

Q: Are you comfortable with the character issues involving Manziel?

A: It's about getting a full, comprehensive report. Who is the guy as a football player? What's his football knowledge? What are his work habits? What's his ability or demeanor to want to eat the tape and work on it and grind on it? What's his level of intelligence? Everybody won't have the same boxes checked.

There will be some blemishes on each of them. It depends on how bad those blemishes are.

Q: The fact that Brian Hoyer is coming off an ACL and has started only three games for the Browns -- does that make it hard to decide whether or not to draft a QB?

A: I don't think it's hard. I think there's a lot of confidence in Brian in where he's at and the things that he's doing. I see him in the weight room working hard. Nevertheless, it shouldn't inhibit where we're at. We're at a position in this franchise's history where we need to create competition and find the best players available to make us a better football team. If you have Joe Montana and Steve Young, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Q: Has Mike Pettine had enough time to evaluate Hoyer and others on the roster so he can have a large role in free agency and the draft?

A: I think he already has a grasp of who's on our roster, and I think he'll be well-versed for who's available in free agency, he'll be well-versed for who's available in the draft. As we work through those discussions, we'll come up with decisions together.

Q: Will Shanahan have a big say in the QB decisions?

A: He'll be a part of what we're doing and how we get it done. We'll definitely allow Kyle a chance to have his input. He'll make comments, he'll be in the process and ultimately coach Pettine and I will decide who to acquire.

Q: Is there anything that can move you off your favorite quarterback between now and the draft?

A: The one thing that could cause people to change off their position is the character. You start to get a better feel for who the person is. I've always been told that your talent may get you places but if your character can't keep you there, you'll fail. (Former NFL head coach) Herm Edwards always says 'it's not always the skill it's the will.' They can lose some standing in the pecking order depending on the type of people they are.

Q: You seem less enamored with a "championship caliber quarterback'' than your predecessors. Is that accurate?

A: People seem to think you can't win unless you have a superstar quarterback. In the NFL, the vast majority of quarterbacks are guys that have to be managed. You have to put them in situations where they can be successful, and when you get them out of their comfort zone, or you put them in situations where they fail, it's not going to be positive for your club. The position isn't as complicated as people think it is.

Q: How many franchise quarterbacks are in this draft?

A: I'll plead the fifth on that one.

Q: Has the philosophy for the draft and free agency changed now that Banner and Lombardi are gone?

A: My gameplan and coach Pettine's gameplan are unique to our vision for this football team.

Q: Do you feel qualified for all the big moments facing you over the next few months?

A: I'm confident and comfortable in circumstances that are ahead of me, be it free agency, be it the Combine, be it the draft, be it trading up, trading back. It takes two to dance. We'll deal with those decisions as they come, but I'm definitely confident it won't be a problem or issue for taking those steps.

Q: Are you willing to trade up to get your guy?

A: That would depend on what's the cost and who's the player. If it's somebody that I can't miss and it's exactly what you want it to be and the cost is relative, then you make the decision that you need to make to get the players that you want.

Q: Are you and Pettine on the same page so far?

A: My philosophy is the same as Mike's. I think we're in lockstep. We think the same things are important: toughness, instincts, competitiveness that's off the charts. He added in passion, relentlessness, productivity. We'll build a team that's reflective of both of our characters.

Q: How big of a deal was it that you weren't in on the head coaching interviews?

A: It wasn't for me. The conversations I've had with coach Pettine, the vision we have for where we're going and what we're doing is the same. The fact that I wasn't sitting in the room, there are a lot of pieces that go into searches that may or may not be known and everybody has a role to play.

Q: Will you try to re-sign T.J. Ward and Alex Mack?

A: Both guys played well for us. We think both players can help a football club. The question is, how do we keep them and do they want to be here?

Q: What did you think of Barkevious Mingo's season, which included two sacks in his last 14 games, but five overall?

A: I was happy for Mingo. Everybody wanted him to have 25 sacks and reset the record books and be a world-beater, but I think coming from a guy who had his hand on the ground. …he was asked to stand up and do a lot of things he hadn't done. He demonstrated he had NFL ability and I think he'll continue to shine and have a career that everyone in Cleveland will be proud of.

Q: How about Paul Kruger, who finished with 4.5 sacks -- same as he had in his four playoffs starts with the Ravens in 2012?

A: I think he's a good football player. People love comparisons. Did he put up the sacks numbers that fans love to see? No. But I do think Paul is a very good football player and deserves more credit than he's going to get, but it's hard for people to understand the intricacies of the game and why things don't pan out the way people think they should.

Q: What's the outlook for 2013 third-round pick Leon McFadden?

A: The players themselves determine who you should keep. Performance will dictate the outcome. It's all about creating competition. Leon will have his chance to compete with the other guys in the secondary and depending on how that competition goes, we'll know who's in the lineup.
Very interesting piece. Huge decision for him and the Browns. Who do you think his "guy" is? At the risk of reading too much into it, does his Montana/Young reference in regard to Hoyer and the unknown QB have any significance?

I think his, "it may not be the name that everybody thinks is the latest, greatest, and the easy one to spot." is simply damage control after the overload of connections to Johnny Football with the previous GM.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 02-17-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm loving me some Ray Farmer. I'm really hoping he executes at the GM level as well as he talks and projects.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ray Farmer knows which QB he'd take if the NFL draft were today.

Very interesting piece. Huge decision for him and the Browns. Who do you think his "guy" is? At the risk of reading too much into it, does his Montana/Young reference in regard to Hoyer and the unknown QB have any significance?
To tell you the absolute truth, it is what every GM in pro football would say, but in real life, it will still come down to how talented a GM he is in judging talent. Right now, I don't have a clue, only time will answer that question.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all sure the decision on a QB will be his, the owner seems to be calling the shots on that one and I just pray they all agree with his assessment.

Of course, he's not going to give away our draft thinking, this time of year, GM's keep their thinking close to the vest, so other teams cannot take advantage of it.

I'm absolutely sure, we are going to draft a QB, the only question is whether we will trade up to #2 with the Rams or stay put at #4. I see a trade up happening otherwise none of the top 3 QB's might still be available at #4.

IMO, Manziel is the guy the owner wants, he can see $$$ signs written all over him in revenue generation and fan hope. If we draft Manziel, the future merchandise sales will go through the roof for at least 3 years and the fan belief in the team will be at an all time high even if it takes that much time for the team to be successful. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a consensus #1 QB so Houston could take any of 3, Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles, so it is extremely difficult to predict who we will get even if we trade up to the #2 spot. No doubt, Jacksonville, Oakland, and even Minny may well try to trade up as well, so it isn't a given that we will get a solid QB unless we secure the Ram's pick.

I have to admit that I don't believe any of these QB's are absolutely sure things, they all seem to have some warts and hopefully, we get the right guy. G-d has to smile on us at some point.

In the end, everything will be decided on the playing field, not by what anybody thinks, not you or me, not our scouts, GM or the owner. We'll just have to wait to find out.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

I think it's going to be one of the three of Manziel, Bridge and Bortles. And I'm okay with that.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think it's going to be one of the three of Manziel, Bridge and Bortles. And I'm okay with that.
But we have to trade up to get one, Rams are going to trade back with either of Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa or Minny, if we don't get the #2 pick of the Rams, we will lose out on all three QB prospects and be stuck in limbo for who knows how long.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

St.Louis/Jacksonville possibly trading is moot, because the Jags are gonna take a QB regardless of whether they trade up or not and St.Louis isn't.

The issue is if Oakland or Minnesota (more likely Oakland) trades up ahead of us to grab a QB making it 3 QBs in the top 3 picks.

There could be worse years to miss out on one of the draft's top QBs though, these guys aren't as elite of prospects as we usually see, and the consolation prize this time is either Jadeveon Clowney or Sammy Watkins - best DE prospect in a long long time and the best WR prospect since AJ Green/Julio Jones who is in that class of WR prospect. Could be worse.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
St.Louis/Jacksonville possibly trading is moot, because the Jags are gonna take a QB regardless of whether they trade up or not and St.Louis isn't.

The issue is if Oakland or Minnesota (more likely Oakland) trades up ahead of us to grab a QB making it 3 QBs in the top 3 picks.

There could be worse years to miss out on one of the draft's top QBs though, these guys aren't as elite of prospects as we usually see, and the consolation prize this time is either Jadeveon Clowney or Sammy Watkins - best DE prospect in a long long time and the best WR prospect since AJ Green/Julio Jones who is in that class of WR prospect. Could be worse.
I think you have to throw Tampa into the discussion as well and Mayock is saying Clowney may not be the best non QB prospect in this year's draft due to character issues. As for Watkins, I love him but until he runs his 40, I cannot put him into the Green/Jones level. Come back on that one after he runs.

Forget all the rest and I agree every QB in the top 3 prospects has warts, but I think we have to get one, we have extra picks to offer and who knows where we will be drafting next year or the year after. We simply have to take the risk that the one we get with the #2 overall pick will turnout great, that's why we pay our GM to find the right guy.

I honestly don't think I can go through another season without some hope at QB and I'll bet money that a lot of Brown's fans will feel the same way and the owner may find that selling tickets won't be easy. I don't even care if the QB we draft flops, you just have to keep drafting them till you get it right. Indy drafted George #1 overall but when he basically flopped, it didn't stop them from drafting Peyton, ditto for San Diego who took Leaf #2 and when he flopped, they went back to the well for Rivers.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

You know, if we get the right QB, this draft is so strong and deep that we can probably get a star WR in round 2 and 2 or 3 more potential starters in rounds 3 and 4. This team could be set up for years if we get it right.