Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, deal with Einhorn falls through.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...york-mets-dead

Interesting.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilpons suck. I'm really sick of them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We haven't had much to discuss but with the offseason starting we'll have something to talk about. I give Reyes a 5% chance of staying.

BA's Mets top 10
1. Zack Wheeler, rhp
2. Matt Harvey, rhp
3. Brandon Nimmo, of
4. Jeurys Familia, rhp
5. Cesar Puello, of
6. Jenrry Mejia, rhp
7. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, of
8. Michael Fulmer, rhp
9. Reese Havens, 2b
10. Wilmer Flores, ss

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only 5%? That doesn't sound very promising. I hope we can keep him.

That's actually a solid list that they put together. For once, I actually agree with them.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I might have switched Captain Kirk with Puello but otherwise it's a very good list. I'm super high on Fulmer as weird as that sounds.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Why would it be weird? He has great upside.

The only changes that I would make is bring Flores up a couple of spots and maybe put Valdespin at #10 instead of Havens.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

It'll be very interesting to see how the 2011 draftees will do next season. And not only Nimmo and Fulmer. Guys like Evans, Mazzoni, Leathersich, Muno, Taijeron, Verrett and some others are very interesting prospects also.

Leathersich might be a very good Closer prospect, lefty that throws gas with a nasty slider.

Taijeron might be this year's Captain Kirk.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, I got pretty out of touch with the minor league system after I moved south. How do you guys feel like it's shaping up overall? You guys always seem to have a really good/objective feel for it haha.

Wish I had paid more attention but once you lose the ability to watch the Mets games everyday it tends to put a damper on the interest in the minor league system too.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
So, I got pretty out of touch with the minor league system after I moved south. How do you guys feel like it's shaping up overall? You guys always seem to have a really good/objective feel for it haha.

Wish I had paid more attention but once you lose the ability to watch the Mets games everyday it tends to put a damper on the interest in the minor league system too.
We're probably in the 12-17 range right now. Perhaps we'll have 3 or 4 Top 100 guys.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still have faith in Wilmer.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I still have faith in Wilmer.
I do also offensively. I don't know where the heck he's going to play though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

With an exception of catchers, we have solid depth at every position.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

If we trade Wright and let Reyes walk I'm done.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post

Hopefully 3B. From the few times I've seen him defensively, he's far from an albatross. He's just obviously too slow for SS.

Quote:
Excessive.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He has good reaction, good hands and a strong arm. He is a third baseman all the way.

The question is whether he'll hit enough.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm sorry ATL but that not's excessive. Wright and Reyes are 2 out of my favorite 3 athletes ever. If they're both gone I think I might be done.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
feel the same way man

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Here is the BA's write-up.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612565.html
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well, we knew this was going to happen.

Bye Jose.

This sucks.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Very upsetting time. I'm more upset with the fact that we are doomed for at least a few more years (realistically until Wilpon is gone/makes everything back) than losing Jose though. The fact that we have to operate with almost no money (since most of it is tied up already) is very concerning.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well, I don't know about "few years".

If Wheeler, Harvey, Familia and Mejia develop quickly, we could compete soon.

Farm system needs to start producing players.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Well, I don't know about "few years".

If Wheeler, Harvey, Familia and Mejia develop quickly, we could compete soon.

Farm system needs to start producing players.
The chances even 1 of those arms develops into a front line starter are slim.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Rauch, Francisco, and Ramires in one night. Add that to Parnell, Acosta, Byrdak, and Beato and at worst we have a good bullpen.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

That's a good trade. I like Pagan, but he is really just a solid utility OF.

I don't think that Tejada is a long-term solution at SS. He too is at his best as a utility guy.

Valdespin might be the guy eventually, but he still needs a lot of work, both on the field and off.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Top 10 Mets' Prospect list.

Quote:
1) Matt Harvey, RHP, Grade B+: He can be a number two starter and someone to build around. Some evaluators see him more as a closer if his changeup remains erratic, but I'm cutting him some slack on that issue and am optimistic.

2) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade B+: This is actually more like Harvey -A and Wheeler 1-B. They are very close but Harvey is closer to being ready. Like Harvey, I see Wheeler as a future number two starter and staff anchor. He made big strides with his control last year. Like Harvey his changeup needs more work, but I'm optimistic about him given the improvements he's already made.

3) Jeurys Familia, RHP, Grade B: Control still needs work, but took a major step forward towards harnessing his stuff. Could be a number three starter, perhaps more with additional changeup refinement. Could also end up as a fine closer.

4) Brandon Nimmo, OF, Grade B: Borderline B-. One of my favorite players from the 2011 draft. Strong tools, skills are more refined than you think given his Wyoming background. There's some risk here but lots of upside too.

5) Cesar Puello, OF, Grade B-: Tough to grade and I'm not really comfortable with this guy. Tools are very impressive and he started tapping into his power. However his strike zone judgment slipped badly, with a dramatic reduction in his walk rate and increase in strikeouts. Power improvement was cancelled out by loss of OBP, and Double-A pitchers will easily exploit his over-aggressiveness. However, many scouts really like him and think he's going to break through, plus he was just 20 last year. Upside is very high but risk of failure is quite high as well.

6) Kirk Nieuwenhuis, OF, Grade B-: Positives here are solid tools, high walk rate, moderate power (secondary average skills). Weaknesses include high strikeout rate and inability to hit left-handed pitching. I've seen him compared to Brett Jackson but Jackson is a better athlete and younger. Kirk looks like a very solid platoon player/fourth outfielder to me. Doesn't have Puello's ceiling but a much higher floor. I've gone back and forth about 10 times between Kirk and Cesar in the 5/6 spots.

7) Jenrry Mejia, RHP, Grade B-: Waiting on Tommy John recovery at this point. I've liked him for awhile but he was handled badly by previous administration and it is still unclear if he's a starter or reliever going forward.

8) Reese Havens, 2B, Grade B-: Borderline C+. I like his power/patience combination and ability to handle second base, but his health care expenses have helped bankrupt the organization. If he manages to avoid injuries he can be a .260 hitter with 15 homers and a fine OBP.

9) Wilmer Flores, 3B-SS, Grade B-: Borderline C+. Still very young at age 20. Switch over to third base increases pressure on his bat. Will he develop sufficient power for that position? He keeps his strikeout rate low but power hasn't blossomed as Mets hoped, granted he was promoted aggressively. Stock is starting to sag but it isn't too late yet.

10) Cory Mazzoni, RHP, Grade C+: Borderline B-: North Carolina State product has sound combination of solid stuff and command. I don't think he got as much attention as he deserved in pitching-rich 2011 draft class and I expect good things from him.

11) Michael Fulmer, RHP, Grade C+: Live-armed Oklahoma high school kid, upside of a number two or three starter, but rather raw. Ceiling higher than Mazzoni but risk of failure is higher as well.

12) Jordan Valdespin, 2B-SS, Grade C+: Will probably rank higher on other lists. Tools and athleticism stand out, developed more power this year, but high-maintenance mercurial personality and sloppy strike zone judgment make me wary that he'll fulfill his potential.

13) Phillip Evans, 2B-SS, Grade C+: Overslot $650,000 bonus for 15th round pick could end up being a bargain if Evans develops as I expect...above-average hitter with some pop and solid glovework at second. Excellent makeup. Need more data, could be much higher next year.

14) Cory Vaughn, OF, Grade C+: Slump in High-A could be related to painful heel injury. I like his tools and he's flashed the skills to make them meaningful. Stock could be considerably higher next year. . .or considerably lower.

15) Darin Gorski, LHP, Grade C+: Excellent statistics in High-A Florida State League (2.08 ERA, 140/29 K/BB) generated by superior command of average fastball and off-speed stuff, refined changeup. Needs to duplicate this in Double-A.

16) Collin McHugh, RHP, Grade C+: McHugh broke out with impressive Double-A season. Average velocity for right-hander but works lower part of the strike zone well, nice assortment of secondary pitches, makeup well-regarded. Could be a fifth starter or long reliever.

17) Domingo Tapia, RHP, Grade C+: Earned some headlines with 99 MPH fastball but struck out just 30 in 50 innings in Appalachian League. High ceiling but needs a lot of work on his secondary pitches.

18) Akeel Morris, RHP, Grade C+: Teammate of Tapia at Kingsport, doesn't throw quite as hard, "just" in the low-to-mid-90s, but secondary stuff is in better shape. Fanned 61 in 51 innings and gave up just 30 hits, but wobbly command led to 38 walks. High ceiling.

19) Danny Muno, SS, Grade C+: Senior out of Fresno State led New York-Penn League in OBP, impressed observers with steady play and makeup. May end up as a utility player but a good one, could get beyond that if he keeps hitting at higher levels.

20) Juan Lagares, OF, Grade C+: Quick bat, improved plate discipline from abysmally awful to merely poor and hit .349/.383/.500 as a result between High-A and Double-A. This was at least partially driven by unsustainable BABIP gains, and I want to see more before buying into him.

21) Logan Verrett, RHP, Grade C+: College pitcher out of Baylor has yet to make pro debut. I saw him pitch in college and I think he has the stuff and command to be a number four starter.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/...pects-for-2012

Solid list. Mine would have been slightly different. Biggest gripe for me is that Travis Taijeron didn't even make the "honorable mention" list.