Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's funny. Someone who doesn't know and just looks at that top 10 will think that Mets' system is heavy on position players and light on pitching.

11-20 is almost all pitching.

Biggest surprise on this list is no Cesar Puello. The suspension has to be the reason.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dom Smith is going to be a beast. Gavin was such a terrible low upside pick. DePo pissed me off with that one. I think Nimmo keeps improving every year.

Pitching wise it's insane. I'm still in shock Harvey had TJS. Imagine going into 2014 with Harvey/Wheeler/Niese/Gee/Noah/Montero/Degrom.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Absolutely. Hopefully, Matt recovers well and continues to dominate.

I definitely like Dom more then either Nimmo or Cheech. I didn't understand the pick of Gavin then and I still don't. If you are going to pick HS, pick high upside.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't have to be high upside but Gavin was so uninspired.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Here is a solid Mets top 14 prospects list with descriptions.

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/02/t...new-york-mets/

I agree with it for the most part. I would have Matz in there somewhere.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah I agree. I would have had Matz instead of Black. Cechinni blows.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Zak, I'm rooting for Mejia to win the #5 spot and hoping that his late-season performance is the sign of things to come.

I would rather see what he can do then watch Dice-K or Lannan.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Zak, I'm rooting for Mejia to win the #5 spot and hoping that his late-season performance is the sign of things to come.

I would rather see what he can do then watch Dice-K or Lannan.
Absolutely!! Still upset about Harvey though. This year realisitically is for the growth of the young pitchers and D'Arnaud. If they progress then 2015 with Harvey back should be very exciting finally.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I wouldn't rule out an exciting season this year.

But several guys will need to exceed expectations obviously.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

.500 is the best we'd do this year. Our lineup is still putrid.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Talent-wise we aren't all that different from what the Pirates were last year imo.

There are a lot of ifs.

If Granderson and Chris Young get back to their top form.
If young guys develop quickly.
If Lagares learns to take a walk once in awhile.
If Ike fixes whatever it is wrong with his swing.
If they stay healthy.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Every team has if's. We have more than most.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Baseball Prospectus did their Mets' top 10 list with one big surprise:

1.RHP Noah Syndergaard
2.C Travis d’Arnaud
3.3B Wilmer Flores
4.RHP Rafael Montero
5.SS Amed Rosario
6.1B Dominic Smith
7.OF Cesar Puello
8.C Kevin Plawecki
9.CF Brandon Nimmo
10.RHP Marcos Molina

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22838

Jason Parks is really high on Marcos Molina. I can't wait to see how he does in higher levels.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yea Molina wasn't on my radar at all and I've never really heard much about him so excited to see what he does this year. The number of pitchers we have at all levels that we need to follow is quite astounding.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Giantsfan1080 : 02-18-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Montero getting the start on Friday and game is televised!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I'll have to DVR that, I have to go to my cousin's wedding on Friday.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I'll have to DVR that, I have to go to my cousin's wedding on Friday.
Yeah it's in the afternoon so I'll do the same as I'll be at work. SNY probably replays it at night also.

If Rosario is at Brooklyn this year which I suspect he will be then you should hit a ton of games up.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Rosario, Smith and maybe Molina. Plus a number of other interesting players.

In general it should be an exciting season in the minors.

And I'm not giving up on the top team either.

I made 2 separate bets with my Yankee fan co-worker:

- Over/Under Mets 80 wins
- Over/Under Tanaka 13 wins

What do you think?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yes the minors will be fun every night with all of our pitching. Almost a big SP prospect should be going daily.

Under 80 wins and over on Tanaka haha.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Then I'm screwed. Oh well, I won my bets from him during football season.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I hope it's a surprise and we get over 80. Everything is going to have to go right though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

So I thought this would be a cool idea but how would you rank every pitcher in our organization? I'm including majors and minors. Rank them however you want. On Sunday I'm going to put a list together.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Giantsfan1080 : 03-14-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:51 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I'll give it a try:

1. Matt Harvey ... hopefully he comes back 100%.
2. Zack Wheeler ... possible ace
3. Noah Syndergaard ... possible ace
4. Jonathan Niese ... very solid #3
5. Bartolo Colon ... old but still effective
6. Rafael Montero ... upside as #3 and safe bet to get there
7. Jenrry Mejia ... can still have a nice MLB career
8. Dillon Gee ... not flashy, but results have been solid
9. Michael Fulmer ... great upside, needs health and consistency
10. Bobby Parnell ... solid enough closer, could be better
11. Steve Matz ... if he stays healthy, stuff will get him to Majors
12. Victor Black ... control is an issue, closer stuff
13. Jeurys Familia ... see above
14. Gabriel Ynoa ... not high ceiling, but control only second to Montero
15. Marcos Molina ... very young but stuff is electric. Big breakout candidate
16. Jacob DeGrom ... already almost 26, but stuff can get him to the majors
17. Cory Mazzoni ... probably a reliever, but stuff is good enough to succeed
18. Domingo Tapia ... great stuff, but consistency is an issue
19. Luis Mateo ... TJ surgery, would be higher. FB/SL combo is very good
20. Luis Cessa ... Good numbers and good enough stuff to make it
21. Scott Rice ... 'meh' but can get lefties out, which gives him MLB career
22. Casey Meisner ... big projectable Texan. Could be a sleeper
23. Chris Flexen ... stuff is there, we'll see if he can move quickly
24. Jeffrey Walters ... Pure reliever, but could make it
25. Jack Leathersich ... needs to improve control, lefty with nice stuff
26. Robert Gsellman ... solid pitchability and might still have projectability
27. Gonzalez Germen ... not a big fan, but he could be effective
28. Miller Diaz ... great numbers in Brooklyn, we'll see what he can do
29. Matthew Bowman ... low upside, but good results so far
30. Daisuke Matsuzaka ... I had to put him somewhere I guess
Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I also wanted to do a pre-season top 20 prospect list:

1. Noah Syndergaard (RHP)
2. Travid D'Arnaud (C) ... could be very good all-around catcher
3. Rafael Montero (RHP)
4. Dominic Smith (1b) ... could hit for high ave, power and play good D
5. Wilmer Flores (3b/2b/1b) ... no real position, but bat is interesting
6. Cesar Puello (OF) ... elite tools, but plate discipline needs to improve
7. Kevin Plawecki (C) ... not elite tools, but plate discipline is very good
8. Brandon Nimmo (OF) ... might stay at CF, with possibly above average bat
9. Michael Fulmer (RHP)
10. Steve Matz (LHP)
11. Ahmed Rosario (SS) ... very young, very raw, but sky is the limit
12. Dilson Herrera (2b) ... good tools for a premium position
13. Gabriel Ynoa (RHP)
14. Victor Black (RHP)
15. Jeurys Familia (RHP)
16. Gavin Cecchini (SS) ... meh tools, ceiling is a solid regular
17. Marcos Molina (RHP)
18. Jacob DeGrom (RHP)
19. Cory Mazzoni (RHP)
20. Domingo Tapia (RHP)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Sorry I haven't got to this yet but just random thoughts.

I really think Puello is for real and will end up battling for a spot 2 or 3 months in.

The only thing that keeps Cecchini on these lists is his draft status. What an awful awful pick.

Molina I'm not ready to jump on until I see what he does for a few months.

I wonder how quick Dilson can move?

sig by BoneKrusher