Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

Maine was absolutely brilliant tonight.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maine was excellent. That rising fastball is fooling a lot more hitters than I thought it would.

Gomez continued his hitting streak to 14 games today. Milledge was flat awesome with a 3-3 day and a homerun. Niese also had a good start for St Lucie lowering his e.r.a. to a bit under 2.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maine's FB is a VERY good pitch. It registers at only about 91-94 mph range on the radar gun, but he gets A LOT of swings-and-misses on it.

Little known fact about Maine:

Last season only Roger Clemens had a lower BAA on fastballs only then John Maine.

I think the biggest factor is that hitters pick it up pretty late out of his hand, making it seem MUCH faster then the acctual velocity.

BTW, it now appears that we have 2 pretty good pitching prospects in AAA, as both Phillip Humber and Jason Vargas are pitching very well.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Maine's FB is a VERY good pitch. It registers at only about 91-94 mph range on the radar gun, but he gets A LOT of swings-and-misses on it.

Little known fact about Maine:

Last season only Roger Clemens had a lower BAA on fastballs only then John Maine.

I think the biggest factor is that hitters pick it up pretty late out of his hand, making it seem MUCH faster then the acctual velocity.

BTW, it now appears that we have 2 pretty good pitching prospects in AAA, as both Phillip Humber and Jason Vargas are pitching very well.

I think Vargas might be more trade bait considering he is behind a lot of other guys on the depth chart.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-19-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You might be right about him being trade bait but don't be surprised if he gets a start with the Mets at some point.

It good to know we have depth of starters in AAA.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah it's been pretty amazing to see how quick Omar turned this franchise around. There were a lot of pieces already in place but Omar got us to the top and I don't see why it won't be that way for at least the next 5 years.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-19-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Yeah it's been pretty amazing to see how quick Omar turned this franchise around. There were a lot of pieces already in place but Omar got us to the top and I don't see why it won't be that way for at least the next 5 years.
Its pretty easy to see how quick Omar turned it around. You play in NY, you have money, and he is not completely ********. He's not going and trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I might buy a Reyes jersey. I have a Pedro jersey, he was always my favorite player in baseball, but now that he's pretty much toast, I think I have to get a Reyes jersey.

But I still <3 Pedro. He doesn't take crap from nobody. You'd swear he's from Jersey.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Its pretty easy to see how quick Omar turned it around. You play in NY, you have money, and he is not completely ********. He's not going and trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.
While that is all true it's the smaller moves that he's made that have been the best. Signing Endy Chavez, Valentin, Bradford. Trading for John Maine etc.. He's made the correct large moves but it's the smaller ones that has put this team over the top.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-19-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
While that is all true it's the smaller moves that he's made that have been the best. Signing Endy Chavez, Valentin, Bradford. Trading for John Maine etc.. He's made the correct large moves but it's the smaller ones that has put this team over the top.
Definately. The man knows how to build a team.

Thats the biggest issue I have with the Yanks, they don't value their farm system enough. You need to stay young in today's league.

I heard on the Michael Kay show about a month or so ago, one beat writer, I forgot who, made a great point about age in baseball.

In today's game of parity, most of the better teams are young. And to be a great young team, you need to have faith in your farm system.

NOTE: Im not trying to start a war here. Im just saying. Let's keep it clean.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Definately. The man knows how to build a team.

Thats the biggest issue I have with the Yanks, they don't value their farm system enough. You need to stay young in today's league.

I heard on the Michael Kay show about a month or so ago, one beat writer, I forgot who, made a great point about age in baseball.

In today's game of parity, most of the better teams are young. And to be a great young team, you need to have faith in your farm system.

NOTE: Im not trying to start a war here. Im just saying. Let's keep it clean.
I actually think the Yanks have the more home grown players on their team than the Mets. You need a core of home grown guys, but that core could be as little as 3 players in my mind. When the Yanks were winning in was more who they brought in that actually put them over the top. Guys like Cecil Fielder, Jimmy Key, David Justice, and others.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I actually think the Yanks have the more home grown players on their team than the Mets. You need a core of home grown guys, but that core could be as little as 3 players in my mind. When the Yanks were winning in was more who they brought in that actually put them over the top. Guys like Cecil Fielder, Jimmy Key, David Justice, and others.
It seems like theyre making a stronger commitment to farm players recently. I think it will pay off.

I would love to see another Subway Series, and its definately possible.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i feel we'll learn alot about the yanks farm system pitching this year with all the injuries
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
It seems like theyre making a stronger commitment to farm players recently. I think it will pay off.

I would love to see another Subway Series, and its definately possible.
I'm jut saying that Reyes and Wright have been the core, but it wasn't until they brought in guys from outside that the Mets actually started winning. Out of their Starting 8 position players and starting rotation, only 3 are homegrown I believe.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I'm jut saying that Reyes and Wright have been the core, but it wasn't until they brought in guys from outside that the Mets actually started winning. Out of their Starting 8 position players and starting rotation, only 3 are homegrown I believe.
Oh definately. Thats definately true. I think Milledge might be the 4th by midseason.

Isn't there a pitcher that they have in the minors that theyre high on? I think I heard they have a pitcher that has a rocket arm thats developing right now, but I could be wrong. Im not great with baseball knowledge, I don't keep up with it too much.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Oh definately. Thats definately true. I think Milledge might be the 4th by midseason.

Isn't there a pitcher that they have in the minors that theyre high on? I think I heard they have a pitcher that has a rocket arm thats developing right now, but I could be wrong. Im not great with baseball knowledge, I don't keep up with it too much.
They have a couple. If it is a guy with a rocket arm you are probably thinking of Guerra. I think thats how you spell it. He is still a ways off.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i feel we'll learn alot about the yanks farm system pitching this year with all the injuries
Some services rank the Yanks farm system number 1 overall when it comes to pitching.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most do rank the pitching #1, it was a debatable 2-5 comng into the offseason, but adding 5 good arms into through the trades rocketed us up to #1.

Position on the other hand... just Tabata and a couple of fringe prospects.

Just imagine combining the yanks/mets major league team and minor league system?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Both the Yankees and the Mets have done an EXCELLENT job of rebuilding their Farm Systems.

Both of these systems were among the worst a couple of years ago, it's very possible that both might be top 10, or even top 5 at the end of this season.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

The Mets do only have 5 homegrown players on the team. Reyes, Wright, Heilman, Smith, and Pelfrey. It will be a more significant amount in the years to come but the young guys the Mets acquired have a chance to be just as good and they are just as cheap.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Phillip Humber might be the pitcher your thinking of. He's in AAA but he should be ready my midseason. Deolis Guera as Jughead said is another guy but he is a way off. He just turned 18 this week even though he is already in HIgh A ball which is unheard of pretty much.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-20-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

The one thing in the past is the Mets were too reluctant to part with prospects. They overvalued them. Finally it payed off with Reyes and Wright but for a long time it didn't. Only value the truly special ones. When baseball america and other services make these probable 2010 lineups I laugh. Cause there is no way all the guys either A) become good major league players or B) don't get traded away. You didn't overvalue Petit or Jacobs and that worked out well so far. As a Yankee fan right now I don't count on any player being on this team in the future but Hughes and Tabata. Everyone else could go in a deal. I just see it very unlikely that one day the Mets will have an outfield of Milledge, Gomez, and Martinez.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Phillip Humber might be the pitcher your thinking of. He's in AAA but he should be ready my midseason. Deolis Guera as Jughead said is another guy but he is a way off. He just turned 18 this week even though he is already in HIgh A ball which is unheard of pretty much.
The only reason I didn't say Humber is because he said fireballer I think. Which really doesn't describe Humber exactly.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The only reason I didn't say Humber is because he said fireballer I think. Which really doesn't describe Humber exactly.
Maybe he was thinking of Pelfrey, who throws in mid-to-late-90s.

You might be right that all 3 of Milledge, Martinez and Gomez may never play in the same OF together in the majors, but it's clear that Omar is in no rush to deal either one of them right now.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Maybe he was thinking of Pelfrey, who throws in mid-to-late-90s.

You might be right that all 3 of Milledge, Martinez and Gomez may never play in the same OF together in the majors, but it's clear that Omar is in no rush to deal either one of them right now.
I agree not in a rush to deal them. It just more a comment when BA gives its probable or projected 2010 lineups. They are ridiculous.