Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Texans Draft Thread

I can't believe we have so little Texans fans on here. I did a mock draft recently, here are the results.

1) 28. Houston Texans - DT John Jenkins, Georgia

2) 61. Houston Texans - LB Shayne Skov, Stanford

3) 93. Houston Texans - OT Brennan Williams, North Carolina

4) 125. Houston Texans - WR Ryan Swope, Texas A&M

5) 157. Houston Texans - CB Sanders Commings, Georgia

6) 189. Houston Texans - QB Matt Scott, Arizona

7) 221. Houston Texans - RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NO AGGIES. Seriously though, if we get a receiver, he needs to be able to stretch the defense.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. There is an absolute need for a wr, and it should be #1. There is no one on this team that threatens downfield, except optimus prime. If he is hurt or if the defense rolls enough people his way, the team becomes a run/throw to the tight end based offense. I pray that a quality wr is found.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
NO AGGIES. Seriously though, if we get a receiver, he needs to be able to stretch the defense.
Why No Aggies?? Swope is a real playmaker you guys need.

Seriously. No one cares about the needs you guys have at the line, everyone wants the big shot.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 01-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see the lines being the major hole. They can always be improved, but I don't see that as the reason the Texans lost.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love the Jenkins selection but in round two we need to go WR. I would think someone out of Austin, Hopkins, Woods, or Williams would still be around. Not the biggest of fans of the WR's but late 2nd would be a good risk on one of them.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Why No Aggies?? Swope is a real playmaker you guys need.

Seriously. No one cares about the needs you guys have at the line, everyone wants the big shot.
I'm a Longhorn so I inevitably hate A&M. Plus I have friends who went to Westlake HS in Austin who played with Swope and think he's a tool. Granted, they hate A&M too. I think he maxes out as a Davone Bess kind of player though.

Notice how the running game got stuffed a lot more this year - the right side of the line was horrendous. We've invested a lot at RG recently, so I wouldn't say upgrade immediately, but Newton looked overmatched most of the year so I think a RT would be a solid pick.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm a Longhorn so I inevitably hate A&M. Plus I have friends who went to Westlake HS in Austin who played with Swope and think he's a tool. Granted, they hate A&M too. I think he maxes out as a Davone Bess kind of player though.

Notice how the running game got stuffed a lot more this year - the right side of the line was horrendous. We've invested a lot at RG recently, so I wouldn't say upgrade immediately, but Newton looked overmatched most of the year so I think a RT would be a solid pick.
I wasn't too happy when we passed on Zeitler and Glenn for basically a special teams starter in Mercilus. It shows how bad last years draft was for us. I think if we go offense in round 1 that I would rather it be Fluker than anyone else.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Man, I think you will be wrong about Mercilus. He has shown me something, and was my second favorite defensive player last year, behind only Bruce Irvin. And I only ranked Irvin above him because I thought Irvin would fall.

I think Mercilus is gonna show up and I am not regretting that pick at all. Now I would ask you guys to think about what happens when Andre goes down. If he is out of the picture, for whatever reason, this team only throws to tight ends. I have to stand by drafting a wr.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Man, I think you will be wrong about Mercilus. He has shown me something, and was my second favorite defensive player last year, behind only Bruce Irvin. And I only ranked Irvin above him because I thought Irvin would fall.

I think Mercilus is gonna show up and I am not regretting that pick at all. Now I would ask you guys to think about what happens when Andre goes down. If he is out of the picture, for whatever reason, this team only throws to tight ends. I have to stand by drafting a wr.
I think Mercilus will prove to be a better pick for the 2013 season because he allows us to let Barwin walk. As far as this year goes, it was a waste of a pick because he rarely saw the field except for on special teams. He looked good when he got to play though.

Last year was poor at WR and so is this year in my opinion. There are talented ones worthy of a 2nd rounder but no real stand out options that scream first rounder at me. We definitely need to address that option but there is no good first round value in my opinion. Our right side of the offense was plain awful and especially against NE. Getting OL also helps out Foster, Schaub, as well as AJ which is why I choose Fluker if we go offense.

Kevin Minter would look sick on the Texans. Mercilus/Cushing/Minter/Reed would be dominant.

Eric Reid and John Jenkins would look on the defense.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 02-05-2013 at 12:13 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Well heck yes! If you can get Reed, you get him! I just don't see the Ravens letting him go since Lewis is retiring.

And to agree with what you said, I don't think it is ever a bad idea to draft OL. Ever. It is statistically the safest thing to draft high, and even a bust on the OL usually still contributes in some way. So I will not be mad with OL at all. But we can not continue to have one WR that scares defenses.

OL is always good. I will never argue that!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Eric Reid and not Ed Reed. :)

I like Cunningham's idea of going after Greg Jennings. That will allow us to postpone the WR selection in the first round another year.

I like Reid, Minter, Cooper, Fluker, and Jenkins more than Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Justin Hunter, and Robert Woods. Surely one of them will fall to the 2nd round even if we don't pursue Greg Jennings.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 02-11-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I'm sure a lot of people on here are talking about this topic on their team's boards so I will add it here too. What do you guys think of giving up a high pick for Harvin? Do you think it would be worth the risk?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Loftin
Rookie

Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Loftin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need: ILB, DT, CB, WR, OG, OT

Best value available at any of those spots would make me happy
Loftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Eric Reid and not Ed Reed. :)

I like Cunningham's idea of going after Greg Jennings. That will allow us to postpone the WR selection in the first round another year.

I like Reid, Minter, Cooper, Fluker, and Jenkins more than Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Justin Hunter, and Robert Woods. Surely one of them will fall to the 2nd round even if we don't pursue Greg Jennings.
Jennings would be a huge upgrade at the #2 spot. Will he be overpaid? Maybe, but it should be worth it. I would love to trade for Percy Harvin but I don't see that happening unfortunately. He's one of my favorite players and adds a completely new dimension to our offense.

As for the draft, I want to trade up for Kenny Vaccaro but word is he's making a Mark Barron-esque leap to the Top 10.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

"It’s clear that age is beginning to catch up with Andre Johnson, who is still a very good player but not nearly the dynamic threat he was just a few years ago. At the very least Houston needs to find another pass catcher to compliment Johnson and draw some of the attention from opposing defenses." - Scott Wright in his latest mock.

Andre just had a career high in yards. I think we need a receiver but I don't think Andre's decline is as clear as Scott thinks it is.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
I'm sure a lot of people on here are talking about this topic on their team's boards so I will add it here too. What do you guys think of giving up a high pick for Harvin? Do you think it would be worth the risk?
This is exactly the type of player we need, but there are two problems.

#1 He can be a headache

#2 I believe the stat book says he has missed over 50% of games so far in his career to injury.

He is so much fun to watch and so good, but I would have to say no. Unfortunately.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Quote:
"Itís clear that age is beginning to catch up with Andre Johnson, who is still a very good player but not nearly the dynamic threat he was just a few years ago. At the very least Houston needs to find another pass catcher to compliment Johnson and draw some of the attention from opposing defenses." - Scott Wright in his latest mock.

Andre just had a career high in yards. I think we need a receiver but I don't think Andre's decline is as clear as Scott thinks it is.
I would agree to an extent. But another WR will only prolong his career.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Oh come on guys! The numbers from the combine are in and no one has any thoughts? We have to get more guys on here. It is hard to talk about the Texicans by myself.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

What do you think of Minter now after the combine results? Scott has up in his profile that he was 6'2 and ran a 4.65 but he is really 5'11 and ran a 4.82. That sucks to see. Wonder what happened or if it is a typo or something. Anyone know much about Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern State? He put up some nice numbers for a DT. 38 at 225, weighs almost 340, and had a decent 40. Not like we need someone fast at the NT position though. Just someone to help out Smith and Watt. Obviously Goodwin looked impressive as well.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 02-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

After watching some of the combine, I think the 40 times were not measured correctly. I thought the NFL channel did a good job of proving they were off. I wouldn't be surprised if Minter runs faster than that.

I am still praying for a wideout.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

So what are the odds we sign DHB? Can't tell if he is still expecting a ton of money since he wasn't even willing to restructure a 10 million dollar contract. Either that or he was hoping to get released.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

What are the odds we sign Reed? I didn't think we had a chance but it is starting to look good.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Reed would be an upgrade in every way. Why not? I really can't see a way he wouldn't help. He has made a career of capitalizing on tip balls. With this front swatting everything, he might have his best season ever.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

He would definitely help for sure. I just didn't think he would consider leaving his legacy in Baltimore. Amerson in the second round to learn behind Reed would be sick.