Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Shreckart
Veteran

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thoughts on Moss' comments on being the "greatest receiver of all-time"? I'm too young to watch Jerry ever play really, and hardly watched Moss in his prime (only 18) so I can only watch highlights. I've read they're different types of receivers on here before, but wonder why people say that. Any reason for this or it's just as simple as they were implemented into the offense differently?

Sorry for the ignorance it seems like, just too young to be able to truly appreciate the greatness that is talked about among them two.
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreckart View Post
Thoughts on Moss' comments on being the "greatest receiver of all-time"? I'm too young to watch Jerry ever play really, and hardly watched Moss in his prime (only 18) so I can only watch highlights. I've read they're different types of receivers on here before, but wonder why people say that. Any reason for this or it's just as simple as they were implemented into the offense differently?

Sorry for the ignorance it seems like, just too young to be able to truly appreciate the greatness that is talked about among them two.
There are probably some old games on YouTube if you want to see either player. Even so, if you are really anxious you can find ways to watch old broadcasts.

I don't think Moss is the greatest receiver of all time, but if certain things didn't get in the way and he handled other aspects differently maybe he could have been? Rice had the benefit of two Hall of Fame quarterbacks throwing to him the majority of his career. Moss did not have that. Moss did seem like a bigger threat. Rice definitely has a better resume.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm old enough to have seen both draft days of these guys and to have thrown things off the wall when my Packers passed on him in 1998 to take a serviceable DE named Vonnie Holliday.
I lived in Minnesota for Moss' whole career there, and I was at the first game where he torched the Packers, who were 2-time defending NFC Champions.

I also saw Jerry Rice play.

Rice is by far the most accomplished, GOAT.
But talent/ability-wise, I don't think you can argue with Moss' comment. God could not have molded a better WR, physically, than Randy Moss. Calvin Johnson is close though.... Moss was Mr Basketball in HS. Just a phenomenal athlete.

If you put Moss' ability, speed, size, leaping ability, into Jerry Rice's work ethic, brain, then you'd have perfection.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, Moss's biggest problem work ethic, when things are easy and going great he is happy. Somehow on the 9ers it working.

If Moss really refined his ability and made the most of his ability he would have broke every record ever, maybe.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At 35 Randy Moss is a role player who totaled around 450 yards and 3 TDs this season. Rice had six seasons of 800 or more yards receiving after turning 35. Rice was never a backup until some games of his final season. There's no debate. Moss was just giving some media/fan talk fodder.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're talking about WRs, I'd rank them:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Don Hutson
3. Randy Moss
4. Paul Warfield

I feel like those four guys are transcendent.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moss is one of the guys we'll never know how good of a career he could have had. And he's still getting talked about among the all time greats. That's saying something.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If we're talking about WRs, I'd rank them:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Don Hutson
3. Randy Moss
4. Paul Warfield

I feel like those four guys are transcendent.
Warfield? Seriously?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody can talk me out of my love for Warfield, although he is a distant fourth behind those other guys. He's probably not so transcendent.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question is though does Moss come back as a 49er and play great? He said he would love too come back.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets get on with the superbowl.

Ray, Ray will not be able to stop the pistol option or cover VD, or Frank Gore.

Ray Rice will get 1 TD, Flacco will have 1 TD as well, but will be picked off 2 times. 9ers defense is just to damn good.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moss is my number 2 all time. After that idc. Growing up and watching him was such a joy.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moss was at least on the same level as Rice when he wanted to. Rice had the clear better career, but Moss is right with him at their peaks. Moss might be the most dangerous WR ever. He could burn anyone at any moment and leap 2 ft over a dude and bring it down.

Vikings Moss was amazing. Just hop on youtube and be amazed at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boldin will take over this game. I would be so happy to see that. In Q I trust.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreckart View Post

I'm torn on this.

Let me say this: Every advocate of Jerry Rice being the GOAT points to his career accomplishments. All his records. But it's difficult for me to use this as the end all be all argument in favor of Rice for the following reasons:

1. He played with 3 very good QBs his whole career, 2 being in the HOF.
2. He was a compiler at the end of his career.

Now to be fair to Rice, he was as dominant as they come, and his SB performances in my eyes validate his accomplishments bc of how absolutely dominant he was in the brightest state in football.

However, it really depends on what your definition of greatest ever is. Do you look at an overall body of work, or do you look at impact, or do you look strictly at their primes, or a combination of all 3?

What are we using as the barometer here? I can't just look at #s bc of the major discrepancy in qbs. At the same time they have to be worth something, so we can't completely discount them either.

I think if we look at it from an overall body of work, I think Rice is #1.

However, Randy Moss was the most dominant WR of all time. No WR in NFL history comes even close to the impact he had on defenses. No WR in NFL history sniffs him when it comes to how he altered defensive gameplans. And in his prime, there wasn't a WR ever who was as imposing and as dominant as Randy Moss.

Randy Moss is part of the 2 greatest offenses in NFL history. That's not coincidence.

In Moss's prime, he was a better WR than Rice in his prime. However Rice was much more consistent for a multitude of reasons.

So how do we evaluate this? There really isn't a right or wrong answer. I think Moss in his prime was the greatest WR of all time. If we look at the big picture it's Jerry Rice.

It really depends on how you look at it. Me personally, I think Moss is without question the 2nd best of all time with everything considered, and if you only consider impact and prime years, I think Moss is the greatest WR ever.

But if you put a gun to my head, I'm saying Rice is 1, and Moss is 2. But it's damn close.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moss legitimately quit on his team multiple seasons. That automatically disqualifies him from the discussion.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rice wasn't a great teammate either. That's one of the bigger myths of his career. He gets the Michael Jordan treatment, where everyone is willing to forget and ignore his major character flaws just bc it was him.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rice = Ali, Moss = Tyson
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Rice = Ali, Moss = Tyson
That's actually a perfect analogy. Oddly enough, I feel the same exact way about those 2 as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I only caught the tale end of Rice's career so I can't make a fair comment on him as a WR. I can only go on reports by others and the vast majority of people say he was the GOAT and that's fine. But I seen Moss do things on the field which simply make you think you're dreaming. As BBD said, Randy Moss altered the way the game is played, possibly more than any other player at any position in history. Want to triple cover him? Fine. It just opens it up for everyone else and you still know Randy is going to get some.

The only way to stop Randy Moss at his best is to stop his QB

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I only caught the tale end of Rice's career so I can't make a fair comment on him as a WR. I can only go on reports by others and the vast majority of people say he was the GOAT and that's fine. But I seen Moss do things on the field which simply make you think you're dreaming. As BBD said, Randy Moss altered the way the game is played, possibly more than any other player at any position in history. Want to triple cover him? Fine. It just opens it up for everyone else and you still know Randy is going to get some.

The only way to stop Randy Moss at his best is to stop his QB
Or put him on a team he doesn't like and he'll stop trying.

Just sayin'.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Do you think the brothers will fight at the end of the game, if one of them shakes the other's hand too hard?

Since its the other brothers team and to show him up and let him know who is better, will they lay it on, and just try and run up the score, you know put there foot on pedal, on kick'em while down. Just to make sure the other one knows who is better.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post

Just sayin'.
this was my only problem. For being so great and having talent why are you quitting when things don't go your way.

Larry Fitz, played with dog **** at qb, yet he kept putting up the numbers and didn't complain.

Moss said he has a down year in oakland...more like not trying.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post

Just sayin'.
Yeah but I'd quit on Oakland too.

It's tough to defend Moss on those years where he didn't try but it goes to show that Randy Moss at his best was absolutely phenomenal. Nobody ever questions Jerry Rice's desire, however over his career he averages 9.85 TDs per year. But, despite dogging it for 3 or 4 years on crappy teams Moss averages 11.14 TDs per year. Now Rice had a ten year period of simply ridiculous numbers but they all came with HOF QBs.

They both have the same amount of double digit TD years (9) even though Moss has played 7 less years and did nothing for 3 or 4 years. Although it has to be said that the last 8 or so years of Rice's career show a big decline in production.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Randy did that as a deep threat too. When playing in a WCO you're gonna get a lot more opportunities for TDs in the redzone.

Moss just Moss'd you. It was so ******* beautiful.