Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 04-02-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1
Default USC & shotgun formation

i was just wondering if anyone knows why USC never opperates out of the shotgun formation? i dont think ive seen them once in shotgun formation. im not sure why. someone told me they heard it messes with the recievers timing on routes. anyone know the reason?

gamertag: uscfan06

RWFender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Archangel Michael

I read that they were experimenting with it now.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1

i think it would be good for them even if they only ran like 2 or 3 plays out of shotgun formation. it might have helped them to have more time to throw against UCLA (that and some screen passes).

Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think they'll use it A LOT more once corp is qb.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

you're probably right but i hope to see it incorporated somewhat into next year's playbook

Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

yeah go to their site on rivals and it talks about how there going to expieriment with it next season.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah SC is installing it this spring, and Booty is looking good running it(he ran shotgun in HS).
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

nice. im glad they decided to add it. maybe we'll see some more empty backfield plays too.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Yeah, Booty ran a primarily shotgun offense at Evangel. It'll probably be a pretty easy transition for USC with him at QB.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
gridiron nation

Sarkesian is now calling plays and is a big fan of the gun from his BYU days. Lane Kiffin was not a hige fan of it and as much as they may be tinkering with it they will not go to it as their primary or anything. It may be just another look for them.

Last edited by slightlyaraiderfan : 04-03-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

why didnt kiffin like shotgun? does anyone have that link talking about it on rivals that was mentioned?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the offense has been pretty okay the past few years without it
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

yeah i dont want to make any drastic changes. i would like to see it thrown in once in awhile but not excessive. my biggest hope for the offense next year is that they will do a better job establishing the run game. shouldnt be too big of a problem with all the recruits and now last years freshman have experience

Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

yeah well, they have been fine without it, but i think being able to go out of the gun will help them with there protection, not having as much pressure, being able to see more of the field and look at more options. Just a different look. We wont be like Texas Tech or anything going out of the gun every play.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

yeah i read that they are interested in using it more on like 3rd down plays. i also read one of the reasons carroll hadnt used it was because his old mentor was against it. his mentor felt that by moving the quarterback away from the center and affected the flow and momentum of the QB's rhythm. makes sense but im glad they are adding it for a few situations ecspecially it booty used it a lot in high school. i heard since booty, corp and sanchez are all a couple inches shorter than palmer and leinart were playing out of the gun and starting back further helps them see better down field in certain situations which hopefully should reduce some batted down passes. im glad they added it even if they only run it once a game

Old 04-08-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
WildDude
All-Pro

WildDude hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

this actually dosent make sense at all... its alot harder to run with the shotgun what will they do with all their backs? sure theyre strong in the reciving corps with travon patterson, vidal hazelton, david ausberry and company... but they could very easily utilize the talent they have under center, i believe that they should be playing based on the people they have and if they dont use their backs propertly itll all be a waste
WildDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

i doubt its going to be a regular feature for them. sounds like they are pretty much just going to use it on certain 3rd and long situations just as a new look. Cal does it and they have great running backs. wont be a bad thing

Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i for one think it's a good thing that USC doesn't operate out of the shotgun. They are giving their QBs valuable experience in a pro style offense. I feel that is why players like carson Palmer and Matt Leinart are succeeding so far in the NFL. When a QB operates strictly out of the shotgun in college they learn to rely predominantly on their athleticism rather than allowing a pocket to form around them and let plays set themselves up.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Gchu83
Rookie

Gchu83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Gchu83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

USC seems to be doing just fine w/o it. I agree that it couldn't hurt to throw it in a game every once in a while. Texas completely revamped their offense for VY and we're going to keep it from here on out, my main problem is that it completely ruined our running game (which was a staple for so many years).
Gchu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWFender1 View Post
i was just wondering if anyone knows why USC never opperates out of the shotgun formation? i dont think ive seen them once in shotgun formation. im not sure why. someone told me they heard it messes with the recievers timing on routes. anyone know the reason?
They run the WCO. No one uses the shotgun in the WCO. Everything is done from under center. They obviously don't need to add it. They've had success without it.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

anyone go to Trojan Huddle this weekend? i wasnt able to go but i heard someone say chauncey started? is he looking better? man, i hope gable starts unless chauncey has stepped his game up from last year

Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

nevermind, i read gable, bradford and moody all sat out from the scrimmage because of injury