Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
How many rings did Rich Gannon win?
Regardless Gannon was an elite quarterback when he went to Oakland and was put in the right system. Just developed late in his career. Same with Warren Moon who came to the NFL at 28.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It was above average then too. It's a top 2 OL in the league.
Not really. Davis and Iupati weren't nearly as good. Also, I don't think they should have outbidded themselves, but I think people are overrating the value of the draft picks a tad and underrating Alex. I think he can be a long term solution.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In slightly related news, the 49ers have a whole lot of picks and could use a CB. I heard the best CB since Deion Sanders is available....
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In slightly related news, the 49ers have a whole lot of picks and could use a CB. I heard the best CB since Deion Sanders is available....
Too bad he wants a king's ransom and would want another one a week after a deal is reached.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You just named 3 elite QB's. Alex Smith is not elite. They are completely irrelevant. Look at some average QB's and see when they start declining.
Age has nothing to do with "elite".

Alex Smith is nowhere near "old", that's the point.
Disagreeing with this trade because Smith is 28 going on 29 is just hogwash. His age is irrelevant.
But if a Chief fan, I'd be excited I am getting an NFL-ready QB with years of experience facing, reading, NFL defenses.

Geno Smith struggled reading some Big 12 defenses.
J-Mike88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i am going to jump into this with the very limited football knowledge I have and say that while i think the value is pretty bad for kansas city, smith can make them better than people are (probably) giving him credit for. donovan mcnabb and alex smith really don't seem all that dissimilar as players. both are (were) accurate, mobile qb's without overwhelming arms (i think. i don't remember much of mcnabb in his prime). reid's eagles teams were very good with mcnabb and there is certainly a possibility he could do the same with smith.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Too bad he wants a king's ransom and would want another one a week after a deal is reached.
How is your cap looking? You have a franchise qb for dirt cheap for the next 4 years so you can afford to pay Revis no?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Not really. Davis and Iupati weren't nearly as good. Also, I don't think they should have outbidded themselves, but I think people are overrating the value of the draft picks a tad and underrating Alex. I think he can be a long term solution.
What a surprise, this pretty much validates that he isn't with the alarming rate your wrong with any prediction or theory you have in any sport. How are people underrating Alex Smith? He was a ******* unrestricted free agent last year and NO ONE wanted him, but we are the ones underrating him? And this was after the Saints game, you know, the one game in his entire career that you are clinging to as your defense. But, but, Saints game that one time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did Jim Harbaugh just Andy Reid, Andy Reid? He took a struggling QB made him look pretty decent and then ship him off for quality picks.

Alex Smith isn't garbage but he isn't a top 15 QB and isn't a difference maker at QB. The Chiefs simply overpaid by quite a bit. A 3rd this year would have been too much. They just gave basically a late 1st this year and a 3rd minimum next year.

Who knows, maybe Smith turns it around and plays like he was invisioned when he was drafted. Smith played like a good young QB in 06. He made mistakes but he had some nice comeback moments and looked to be developing nicely. Then injuries/bad coaching/instability completely knocked him off track.

Smith might be good for the next 4 years but he will never make them a top level team. At least the QBs in the draft have some hope of doing that. We know what Smith brings to the table and it just isn't that great.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How is your cap looking? You have a franchise qb for dirt cheap for the next 4 years so you can afford to pay Revis no?
They could pay Revis, but probably lose Goldson, Iupati, Anthony Davis? They have to re-sign Kaepernick soon, and a ton of in house talent. They have drafted really well lately, and bringing in a guy like Revis you have to let a ton of guys go in the process. I don't think it'd be smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Ok let me ask all the Alex Smith supporters this question:

If Andy Reid is a qb guru who can turn around talent, why not stick with Cassell?

Cassell had 2 good seasons. Smith had 2 good seasons. Cassel actually had a better season than Smith ever did.

Plus you can't use the talent excuse bc both succeeded when they had good talent around them.

So what the hell is the difference btw the 2? Why not just keep Cassel?

Even physically they're equal. Both are somewhat mobile. Both lack arm strength. They're basically the same exact player.

So what I don't understand is, how can you make the argument for Smith then turn around and not think that Reid can do the same thing with Cassel?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ok let me ask all the Alex Smith supporters this question:

If Andy Reid is a qb guru who can turn around talent, why not stick with Cassell?

Cassell had 2 good seasons. Smith had 2 good seasons. Cassel actually had a better season than Smith ever did.

Plus you can't use the talent excuse bc both succeeded when they had good talent around them.

So what the hell is the difference btw the 2? Why not just keep Cassel?

Even physically they're equal. Both are somewhat mobile. Both lack arm strength. They're basically the same exact player.

So what I don't understand is, how can you make the argument for Smith then turn around and not think that Reid can do the same thing with Cassel?
Because Smith has been better recently.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So you've got nothing.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
If that's the best argument you can come up with it's a pretty terrible one. Especially since Cassel had a good 2010 season, exactly 1 season before Smith's good 2011 season.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He wasn't as bad as Brady Quinn early in his career, but it's close. And only you and 49er fans disagree with that.

Alex Smith was a non factor before Harbaugh got there, and now Harbaugh trraded him. That should be pretty telling, but for some reason you're unable to get that.
You're unable to realize that Alex Smith was drafted into one of the worst situations in recent memory, had plenty of shoulder problems early on his career, and went through a million ****** coaches.

Instead, you just say he sucks and fail to recognize that when he actually had a good offensive minded coach and some talent around him on offense that he led a team to the NFC Championship and then was having the best year of his career statistically until a concussion.

You also are so into the doom and gloom of your franchise that you take anyone else's opinion and flame them calling them braindead fucktards when your opinion is just as viable as theirs considering nothing has even happened and you're basing this on your preconceived notion that he's going to be horrible.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Hey guys, did you ever think that maaaaaaybe if Alex Smith didn't suck under those coaches they wouldn't keep replacing them and giving him a brand new excuse every year?

Ever think about that?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

History has proven that he's a ****** QB unless in the perfect situation, which he was in SF and won't be in KC.

I'll remember you Alex Smith defenders when he fails in splendid fashion. But by then I'm sure you'll all have plenty of new excuses to defend him with.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How many rings did Rich Gannon win?
Don't be ridiculous my Psych buddy. You wish the Chiefs had held onto Gannon and rode that glorious wave to the playoffs.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

No one has answered my question yet. How can you believe in Alex Smith but not in Matt Cassel when they both succeeded under the same exact circumstances?

I'm still waiting for an answer to that.
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
History has proven that he's a ****** QB unless in the perfect situation, which he was in SF and won't be in KC.

I'll remember you Alex Smith defenders when he fails in splendid fashion. But by then I'm sure you'll all have plenty of new excuses to defend him with.
Now this I agree with.

However, Cordarelle Patterson #1 to the Chiefs anyone???

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hey guys, did you ever think that maaaaaaybe if Alex Smith didn't suck under those coaches they wouldn't keep replacing them and giving him a brand new excuse every year?

Ever think about that?
Ok, ever think that if the talent level and coaches around Alex Smith didn't suck and he wasn't the #1 pick (normally indicating the worst team) that maaaaaaaybe he wouldn't have sucked?

Works both ways.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
No one has answered my question yet. How can you believe in Alex Smith but not in Matt Cassel when they both succeeded under the same exact circumstances?

I think you use "succeed" a little bit loosely here. I think it just comes down to media coverage. The media waxed on Cassel a couple years ago. The media is still pimping Smith pretty hard.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Ok, ever think that if the talent level and coaches around Alex Smith didn't suck and he wasn't the #1 pick (normally indicating the worst team) that maaaaaaaybe he wouldn't have sucked?

Works both ways.
Aaah, the talent excuse. Works like a charm every time. Every terribad qb has the same exact excuses:

-It's his OC's fault
-He has no OL
-He lacks playmakers around him

I never met a terrible qb who didn't have these excuses made for why he wasn't any good.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I posted something close to this on my niner forum a couple weeks ago. I always thought they were extremely similar players.

Alex is a better athlete though, and Reid has always been into that.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith came into the league without being able to read a defense. That's why he sucked. He's one of the smartest players in the NFL (graduated in a two and a half years with an econ degree, had a Wonderlic in the 40's) so everybody just refused to believe that he had a low football-IQ.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote