Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'd say the two games against the Falcons and Packers...well, I don't know if Alex dominates like that. Actually I'm quite sure he doesn't. Our defense was a lot more dominant last season and lately it's been floundering. Especially the defensive line.

Also, I don't see Smith going into Foxboro and throwing four touchdown passes, something he's never done in his career and Kaepernick did in his fifth or so start.
I'm probably just being a homer, but I really think the Packers would have had a chance to win that game if Alex Smith had started. I certainly don't think that they would have been absolutely humiliated. CK turned in one of the best individual performances that I've ever seen, and Green Bay was sooooo unprepared for it.

Harbaugh looks pretty god damned smart right now, IMO.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Bc he wasn't. The whole excuse about fumbles is lame as hell. That game went to overtime and both teams had plenty of possessions to score to win. Alex Smith did not make a single play in the 4th quarter or at the end of that game to win the game.

If he was capable of winning, he would have. He had plenty of chances to and didn't do a damn thing.

Greg Cossell broke down that game shortly afterwards and KILLED Alex Smith. He left a TON of plays on the field. Most of us would say that he didn't do enough to win that game but also not enough to lose it either. If you ask Cosell, he was implying that Smith's play was so bad that he cost them the game.

Smith has every excuse in the book. It's a joke. If it looks and smells like a duck it's a duck.
Well Cossell hasn't been exactly on the money in regards to Smith. Especially with his predictions. Of course, it's easy to say so and so in hindsight. But there were plenty of times he was incorrect about what Smith could or could not do last year. I listened to Cossell on the local bay area media outlets here all year long in 2011. And Smith's play wasn't so bad that it cost the 49ers the game. He threw two touchdown passes in the game and didn't commit any turnovers. He just had a bad 4th quarter in the rain essentially. But he didn't cost the 49ers the game with his play.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 01-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I know I will get killed for saying this but I think the same thing. I think that maybe the 49ers would have lost to the Patriots with Smith at QB but they definitely would not have lost to the Rams. I don't see either playoff game turning out differently with Smith at QB. The 49ers might not have dominated the Packers but I am confident it saying they would have won.
And that sort of answers to the question whether he could get a team to the Superbowl. It may be the Niners are more potent with CK, the numbers speak for themselves, but to say Alex cant take a team to the big dance i think is unfounded.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bc he wasn't. The whole excuse about fumbles is lame as hell. That game went to overtime and both teams had plenty of possessions to score to win. Alex Smith did not make a single play in the 4th quarter or at the end of that game to win the game.

If he was capable of winning, he would have. He had plenty of chances to and didn't do a damn thing.

Greg Cossell broke down that game shortly afterwards and KILLED Alex Smith. He left a TON of plays on the field. Most of us would say that he didn't do enough to win that game but also not enough to lose it either. If you ask Cosell, he was implying that Smith's play was so bad that he cost them the game.

Smith has every excuse in the book. It's a joke. If it looks and smells like a duck it's a duck.
I can say the exact same thing about Eli in that game. Smith led the 49ers to more points against the Giants than Romo and Ryan, as much as Brady, and more than Rodgers if you ignore the Packers garbage time touchdown. That has to be worth something. It is not like any of those guys have a garbage team around them.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm not saying Smith is going to carry his team to the Superbowl. I'm saying that it's wouldn't be impossible for a team led by Alex Smith to go to the Superbowl. Again, the 49ers were a couple of fumbles away from that actually happening, if an Alex Smith led team can get to the NFC Championship game, why is it so hard to believe that with a bit of luck an Alex Smith led team could win a Superbowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I'm probably just being a homer, but I really think the Packers would have had a chance to win that game if Alex Smith had started. I certainly don't think that they would have been absolutely humiliated. CK turned in one of the best individual performances that I've ever seen, and Green Bay was sooooo unprepared for it.

Absolutely. It was a risk that a lot of other coaches wouldn't have had the nerve to make. He definitely deserves all the credit he is going to get for that.

RIP themaninblack

Last edited by SuperPacker : 01-29-2013 at 07:45 PM.
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The 49ers dominated the Packers in Green Bay in week one. The Packers were gifted a return touchdown and then added a garbage time touchdown. I don't see why you think the outcome would have been significantly different.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The people who say he isn't elite but is in the 15-20 qb range.

That means he is an upgrade at the QB position for nearly half of the league, why wouldn't teams want him.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I'm not saying Smith is going to carry his team to the Superbowl. I'm saying that it wouldn't be impossible for a team led by Alex Smith to go to the Superbowl. Again, the 49ers were a couple of fumbles away from that actually happening, if an Alex Smith led team can get to the NFC Championship game, why is it so hard to believe that with a bit of luck an Alex Smith led team could win a Superbowl?.
Exactly.
I think only one NYG kid here says that though ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
.... but to say Alex cant take a team to the big dance i think is unfounded.
Right.
Unfounded, stupid, ignorant, and assenine could be added to anyone who would say that.
Quote:
The 49ers dominated the Packers in Green Bay in week one. The Packers were gifted a return touchdown and then added a garbage time touchdown. I don't see why you think the outcome would have been significantly different.
Yep, SF spanked GB in week one, in GB's stadium, before GB lost starting OLB Nick Perry, starting ILB DJ Smith, starting RT Bryan Bulaga, starting RB Cedric Benson to season-ending injuries.

The defense that faced Kaepernick was not the same one as faced Smith in week 1.

The result in week 19 was much the same end-result, just different style.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 01-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well I certainly think that the 49ers are a better team and would have probably won, but did you watch that game? Kaepernick completely gutted the Packers. That game showed why the rest of us wish y'all were still starting Smith.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well I certainly think that the 49ers are a better team and would have probably won, but did you watch that game? Kaepernick completely gutted the Packers. That game showed why the rest of us wish y'all were still starting Smith.
Like I said, I don't think the 49ers would have blown the Packers out like they did. I think it probably would have been similar to week one. Something like 34-20.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Eli also did play bad enough to lose the game but the 2 near INTs bounced off 49ers defenders or the 49ers DBs bounced off each other. The weather made the game more appropriate to be a black and white footage mudder game.

The 1 throw down the middle launched 3 yards over Kyle Williams I still remember and bothers me and has to bother Smith.
2 other key plays were back to back runs by Dixon where he he was tripped up 1 yard short on a 1st down in the 4th quarter before getting stuffed on 3rd and 1.

49ers came up short so people bother to look for the failings in a game and they get press. The reality of Eli not being as good as Peyton is pushed away by some cause his team won that game and the Super Bowl. Others saw the unlikely to be repeated string of crazy catch and runs that had Victor Cruz getting 6 more yards a catch in '11 than '12.

Smith's low INT% was the same. But it was a safe bet to predict a bump in completing more passes for more yards, converting more 3rd downs and the TDs are a byproduct of that.

That happened and he was having a very good year.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dunno if its been said, but I would say Kansas City. No QB is worth #1 overall, offer up a mid pick and get a OL or someone else.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As it stands right now the Chiefs don't need an offensive lineman. They don't -need- a defensive lineman. They need a QB, and Alex Smith is not the answer.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is what I could see happening up through how the 1st 2 TDs were scored.

Cliffs Notes Kaepernick was playing Madden on Rookie.

After the pick 6...

2nd and 5
Moss got by Shields when he stumbled. Kaepernick didn't set and lunge forward after the deep shotgun drop when Raji got around the RG Boone but was diverted to a loop away from the pocket. If he got his momentum going forward and eyes down-field could of been 50/50 on connecting for a TD.

next play
3rd and 2
Drop and everything is choppy. Never fully turns far enough left to see Gore open of the 1st down out of the backfield. Saved by the defense holding but the pass shouldn't of been rifled to Crabtree anyhow.

next play
1st and 10
GB copies what MIA did a lot again. Works great in making things crowed down-field. Looks like he was sure he was gonna look off from Crabtree for a sec and then come back to him from the start. Pass was high.
Gore was there in the middle for a 5 yard check.
Miller was there in the flat for about 10 yards.

next play
2nd and 10
Woodson watches the play and jumps to break up the pass to Vernon right as the ball arrives. Hawk is right there too.
Crabtree slant is as open as the TD pass. And throwing lane between LT and LG is 5 yards wide.

next play
3rd and 10
Woodson jumps the scramble way too early and flip pass to Gore. The mobility helps make this play but on 3rd and 10 it should only maybe be a 1st down run if he can make the 1st guy miss. Woodson failed hard and gave up 30 more yards.

next play
1st and 10
Pack rush 5.
GREAT JOB by the O-Line. Pocket still holds up. LMJ is open 9 yards directly in front of him. Never sees him and is sacked.

2 plays latter
Good coverage. TD Run. #96 was trying to do too much and left his lane.

2nd and 8
1Q 3:34
Strange play on the Moss bomb try. A pump to LMJ and nobody cares. I think it was to try and get Mathews to jump and Joe would knock him to allow longer protection for the deep route.
LMJ stays open for a catch and room to make people miss.

MUFFED PUNT
1st and Goal
Good play by Mathews to get his hand on it but pass was late and flat. He was the only option on this play.

2nd and Goal
Muffed play with snap count off.

3rd and Goal
Crabtree is target the whole way. Wide open TD catch and run.

7 "plays left on the field"
3 bailouts with GB playing like dog doo

That is up to 10min left in 2nd Quarter.

He did go on to make some great throws like to Crabs and Vernon but GB would continue to play defense at times as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
but to say Alex cant take a team to the big dance i think is unfounded.
The fact of the matter is there isn't an NFL QB that COULDN'T take his team to the super bowl. Sorry to say it but it is the truth. The big question is and always is when you project a QB to a starting position is simply this

"Would you want your team to trade your current starting QB for Alex Smith. If that meant that you wouldn't draft a young QB in this draft." I think the only two teams that could say yes is the Jets, Jags, maybe Browns. Jets don't have any cap space so Alex isn't going to New York. Are the Browns going to be willing to cut bait on Weeden so soon? I'm not so sure. Which leaves the Jags. Poor Chad Henne I think he could be a decent starting QB if given the chance. But the new head coach and GM have stated that they are looking for a dual threat QB. While Alex isn't as mobile as Kaepernick he may be able to pull that off although I think Joe Webb could be even better at that. At the end of it all I could honestly see Alex Smith continuing to be the backup in San Fran by time this is all done.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lombardi Haslam Chud etc. have no ties to Weeden, I know that we "just drafted him" but I wouldn't be surprised if they took the guy that's younger than Weeden with much more experience, and quite frankly better.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blip.tv/49ersnews/kwame-harris-lowlights-4602367

Watching this makes me appreciate the O-Line play as it's currently constructed.

It also makes me realize how unfair it was to solely bash Alex Smith as so many did, back then. The fact that he is still even "average" and "starting quality" after going through those first couple years is astounding.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm Alex Smith I would want to go to KC. Andy and Alex seems like they could make good football together. KC has a top 5 RB, a number 1 WR. And good all around talent on offense
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
If I'm Alex Smith I would want to go to KC. Andy and Alex seems like they could make good football together. KC has a top 5 RB, a number 1 WR. And good all around talent on offense
Alex is not a guy who thrives throwing outside the hash marks to WR's. He's better with TE's.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the revisionist history in this thread is hilarious. right. smith hit ONE pass to a WR. clearly super bowl leader. obviously made the plays to bring SF, the more talented team, to the super bowl. got 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh Alex Smith, how the people here have missed you! This quickly went from a question of where people thought you'd be playing next year to people saying you basically don't deserve to be playing in the NFL at all. Good times.

I don't really see anyone here overrating Smith's abilities. I do see people underrating them, but what's new. I don't have a problem with people thinking he should ranked anywhere from the 14-18 range of starting QB's in the NFL. I put him pretty much in the middle. Slap the homer tag on me if it makes you feel better, but I think that ranking is fair. By my calculations that means that about 50% of the NFL could use him as their starting QB next season.

People complain that this is a weak draft class for QB's. So what is the harm of bringing in Alex and drafting one of these QB's and letting them sit for a couple years?

I'm happy to have Kaep as our starting QB, I've always supported the move. I'm interested to see how Alex does elsewhere next year and will be pulling for him to do well.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
The people who say he isn't elite but is in the 15-20 qb range.

That means he is an upgrade at the QB position for nearly half of the league, why wouldn't teams want him.
Maybe the same reason nobody did last year? I've just never seen a guy change his fortunes so much in a half of a season. Plus if your starting a guy like Mark Sanchez or Matt Cassell/Brady Quinn at QB, damn near anybody is an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Maybe the same reason nobody did last year? I've just never seen a guy change his fortunes so much in a half of a season. Plus if your starting a guy like Mark Sanchez or Matt Cassell/Brady Quinn at QB, damn near anybody is an upgrade.
I think a lot of teams had already started to move on to what quarterback options they were going to go with into the following season. Alex Smith's contract talks stalled and he was kind of a late player to the free agency market with Matt Flynn the only other guy that was garnering huge interest.

And even mediocre to decent quarterbacks rarely hit the market. It's the most important position on the roster and even if you are in a bad spot with a mediocre to decent starter, who are you going to replace him with if you get rid of him? A lot of teams might want to try and make something work with what they have instead of throwing in the towel and going into rebuilding mode with a rookie...unless you have an Andrew Luck or your current starter is so bad getting rid of him wouldn't be a big deal.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
the revisionist history in this thread is hilarious. right. smith hit ONE pass to a WR. clearly super bowl leader. obviously made the plays to bring SF, the more talented team, to the super bowl. got 'em.
Let's completely forget about the game before vs. the Saints, right? That game he completed 24/42 for 299 and 3 TD's (plus 1 rush TD). Funny thing about that game is that only 7 of those 24 completions went to WR's. Crabtree had 4, Williams had 2, and Ginn, Jr. 1. I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Alex didn't have much confidence in his WR core. Outside of Crabtree, how many of those guys would be starting for any team in the NFL? It was pretty apparent that Alex was trying to hit his TE's and RB's in the passing game and you can't really blame him for that. You are right in saying that completing 1 pass to a WR is pathetic and that was hard to watch, but there is a little more to the story here.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Let's completely forget about the game before vs. the Saints, right? That game he completed 24/42 for 299 and 3 TD's (plus 1 rush TD). Funny thing about that game is that only 7 of those 24 completions went to WR's. Crabtree had 4, Williams had 2, and Ginn, Jr. 1. I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Alex didn't have much confidence in his WR core. Outside of Crabtree, how many of those guys would be starting for any team in the NFL? It was pretty apparent that Alex was trying to hit his TE's and RB's in the passing game and you can't really blame him for that. You are right in saying that completing 1 pass to a WR is pathetic and that was hard to watch, but there is a little more to the story here.
Aren't Swain and Hastings out of the NFL now?

Quote: