Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chief Keef offends my ears.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
something something quality of play something offensive.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I still can't believe Romeo Crennel got a 2nd chance as a HC.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I still can't believe Romeo Crennel got a 2nd chance as a HC.
Affirmative Action?

Bears new addition Sedrick Ellis was a no-show for Chicago.... now says he's retired.

Nice.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

yes, because "chiefs" is in the same realm of offensiveness as "redskins". It'd be like suggesting the florida zulus need to change their name if the new york n****** need to change theirs. I'm not really sure how the redskins have kept their name, other than that there aren't enough angry native americans to raise a ruckus.
Perhaps it's simply that "Native Americans" don't get offended by something so dumb. Perhaps it's completely media driven like everything else.

Personally, there's not any term you can call me in reference to my ethnicity that would offend me.

My grandpa was half native american and never took offense, one of my wife's grandparents are also half native american and has never took offense. Heck for all we know they're just happy to have kept a name this long, they used to have Indians but now that refers to someone from India.

My paper, as well as many other news sources started simply referring to the Redskins as "Washington" probably 5-10 years ago. All references are simply "Washington" when this became a big deal years ago I think when Spurrier was coaching.

In a poll about 15 years ago, 50% said they prefer to be called Indian, 37% wanted to me called Native American, 13% didn't prefer either one of those. 35% said they found Indian to be offensive. There are many teams called the Indians that would need changed. The name redskin was used all over europe, and north america and is used as a piece of history, not to cause offense.

I swear some people just try to make a big deal out of nothing.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
How is Chiefs offensive?
I think I didn't express my thought clearly here, if the Redskins name was changed eventually I could see people saying that teams like the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Seminoles all need to be replaced as well.

It's not that "Chief" is an offensive name, it's that I could see people eventually trying to get any sports team referencing an ethnic group to change their name.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
well, as long as we have some anecdotal evidence from a single source, i guess we can definitively say that it's not offensive at all. similarly, i just asked my black buddy and he doesn't care what i call him, so by proxy, no black people are offended by anything i call them.

i also just invented a poll that says 100% of americans believe i should be king, so... that's cool.

still waiting for any near rationalization for why 'redskin' is somehow as equally offensive to people, who apparently don't include your 2 person sample size, as 'chief'. i bet your father's cousin's girlfriend's sister's college roommate said it was.
Thanks for the uninformative piece of garbage you call a "post"
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
In 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania had a similar result to the Sports Illustrated poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the 768 American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name "Redskins" acceptable.[91
Here is another source
Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People are worrying too much about being politically correct today. It's really kinda getting out of hand and numbing down society. Sports is about fun, no harm done in calling them the Redskins or Chiefs....they're not hurting anyone and you absolutely could see it as being proud of heritage and not being racist. Every little thing is "racist" these days, ugh.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
that's a nice link.

i can do it, too.
Congrats, you're really getting your meaningless post count up today.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
why is it always middle class white kids who think people should stop being offended by things? you get no say in what offends me as a jew, and i wouldn't tell a black person to stop being so offended because you want to call him a ******.
Quoted for Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you whiteys need to stop arguing, and read what the other is saying.

Whites I tell ya.

am I doing it right now/
Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
how, specifically, is being called a redskin, a term used by europeans to refer to native americans based solely on the color of their skin, a term that would possibly make ANYONE proud of their heritage? what inane nonsense.

why is it always middle class white kids who think people should stop being offended by things? you get no say in what offends me as a jew, and i wouldn't tell a black person to stop being so offended because you want to call him a ******.
give me a break, it's not like their logo is a goofy caricature like a sambo illustration. there is certainly a lot of debate about the word redskin being a racial slur, but in the context of the sports team which has been around for so long, it's not. I certainly don't think it's the same and it would be super dumb to change the name of a team that's been called that for over 75 years.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We really need a team owner from the deep south to just be like, "**** it, I'm a billionaire and I'm naming my team the goddamnn Whiteskins! Yeeeeehawwwww."

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The solution is a market issue. Dan Snyder and the Redskins make hundreds of millions a year because in the end, the NFL is king, and the Skins are king of DC. No one is refusing to pay for season tickets, $12 beers, $150 jerseys, and other swag. Revenues are not being negatively impacted by their name.

Until the market tells Snyder and the team that they need to make a change, they have absolutely no incentive to do so.

I am not a fan of the team, and I happen to despise the majority of Redskins fans. I am offended by the team name, but not enough that I want it to be news or want to discuss it any further. I think my attitude is similar to that of most of the rest of white America.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
how, specifically, is being called a redskin, a term used by europeans to refer to native americans based solely on the color of their skin, a term that would possibly make ANYONE proud of their heritage? what inane nonsense.

I take offense to being called white, it lumps a variety of ethnic and cultural differences into one common denominator of skin color (and sometimes not even that.)

Last edited by mightytitan9 : 07-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if you compare the context of the redskins logo and history it is pretty clear that it is not an offensive reference.

NOW compare that with other logos that make reference to Native Americans

Now it seems to me people are trying to get money hence going after a team in the most profitable professional sports league with an owner worth oodles of money. Because there are other teams with names that are not racy but actually are represented by what appears a very more cartoonish native america. The redskins logo is to me the most "serious" and honors the warrior spirit of the native americans.

The name has been around since 1932 and with how uptight people are about being politically correct in today's society it is becoming an issue. But at the same time wouldnt people find the Cowboys offensive that find redskins offensive? I mean the cowboys did slaughter thousands of native americans....
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
We really need a team owner from the deep south to just be like, "**** it, I'm a billionaire and I'm naming my team the goddamnn Whiteskins! Yeeeeehawwwww."
And they would be like "cool, they named a team after us" and not care at all.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
The solution is a market issue. Dan Snyder and the Redskins make hundreds of millions a year because in the end, the NFL is king, and the Skins are king of DC. No one is refusing to pay for season tickets, $12 beers, $150 jerseys, and other swag. Revenues are not being negatively impacted by their name.

Until the market tells Snyder and the team that they need to make a change, they have absolutely no incentive to do so.

I am not a fan of the team, and I happen to despise the majority of Redskins fans. I am offended by the team name, but not enough that I want it to be news or want to discuss it any further. I think my attitude is similar to that of most of the rest of white America.
Wise words from "America's Poster"!
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
The name has been around since 1932 and with how uptight people are about being politically correct in today's society it is becoming an issue. But at the same time wouldnt people find the Cowboys offensive that find redskins offensive? I mean the cowboys did slaughter thousands of native americans....
FWIW, the Redskins name used to be the Braves. It was changed in 1932 to the Redskins when George Marshall became the owner of the team. Marshall was a well known racist. He didn't allow the team to sign a black player until 1962, 16 years after the rest of the league began doing so. It wasn't until the Federal Government threatened to revoke the lease of the stadium that he drafted a black player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
The name has been around since 1932 and with how uptight people are about being politically correct in today's society it is becoming an issue.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Remember these?

Now the word "Negro" offends many, so much so that the official the UNITED NEGRO COLLEGE FUND wants to simply be known as the UNCF nowadays.

It's a fuckingjoke these days, and it's not just the USA, but also spreading to other countries.

(Some) People are way more uptight now than ever, we see that all the time. It's a joke.

99% can be okay with something, but you get a few who are offended, they raise hell and then there goes a hundred+ years of tradition that used to be just fine or even good.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ummm, are you really using the negro league, which was around in large part because the MLB would not allow blacks in their league, to prove a point that Redskins isn't racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate race debates because nobody really wins, but if Native Americans are pissed then it makes sense to change the name of the team. They pretty much got wiped out when everyone came over from Europe and it is essentially skipped over in the history books. Over-sensitivity is extremely annoying at times, but ditching the "Redskins" name is completely reasonable and the right thing to do in my opinion.

Over the top butthurtedness runs rampant in our society, but this is a time where it is a real issue that should probably be addressed.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First of all the name was changed to Redskins to honor the owners mother who was part indian.

And second im not saying it is how its always been... but in this case the Redskins are not anything other than a team name, they have the least offensive logo out of all the native american teams that feature a person, they have the 3rd largest revenue meaning people "love" the skins, support them.

"Nothing unites D.C. like the Redskins. I initially knocked them down a tier for mild ticket struggles, but they deserve to be among the elite. Football owns these cities. "
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-bills-on-top

If it was so offensive I dont think people would be so die hard, would publicly wear jerseys and hats, and have a huge waiting list that takes years to get off to get tickets..

Plain and simple its a few people trying to get their name out and trying to have their spotlight, at the end of the day unless the redskins name is offensive to the point where people dont pay anything and boycott.

Snyder has a popular QB, proven coach, and a fan base that rivals anyones. so i think the redskins are going to remain popular and dont see that changing anytime soon
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In Oakland, they took Tracey Porter's #24 and just gave it to Woodson without even asking.

I agree with that move.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote