Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
hey, we *always* had slavery, for like, thousands of years. then all you politically correct abolitionists want to go and change things?! everything worked perfectly fine for millenia!

appeals to tradition are terrible, and your argument is terrible if that's the only thing you can add.
I call to a vote the name change for the Chicago Blackskins and the New England Crackers. Oh and how about one that's offensive to native americans too! Lets go with the Washington Redskins.

Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

cool story, bro.
Thanks, "bro"
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
how, specifically, is being called a redskin, a term used by europeans to refer to native americans based solely on the color of their skin, a term that would possibly make ANYONE proud of their heritage? what inane nonsense.

why is it always middle class white kids who think people should stop being offended by things? you get no say in what offends me as a jew, and i wouldn't tell a black person to stop being so offended because you want to call him a ******.
You keep breaking your own rule in this thread here. Unless of course you are native american too.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
In Oakland, they took Tracey Porter's #24 and just gave it to Woodson without even asking.

I agree with that move.
Kinda shady if he had the number first, but Porter should have given it to him anyways if that was the case
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any old racist redskins logo is pointless in this debate, they don't use it anymore, it was obviously dumb and offensive. Their current logo isn't. The term is the only thing up for debate. It was a derogatory term long ago, nobody says that anymore as a term of negative intent, it's pretty much a term we read in old books and stories that was originally not an offensive word anymore than "black" or "negro" have been.

Anyway my original point was that I'm sick of the PC movement that is overkilling everything in America like people are paranoid that every little thing has to be politically correct these days. "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" in stores is probably the worst one. Are there really people who get deeply offended by being told "merry christmas"?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FOR INSTANCE if i was offended by the way Chic Fil A operated in regards to religion etc ... i WOULD SIMPLY STOP GOING THERE.

If people are that offended by the Redskins and the NFL for allowing it, stop watching plain and simple. No one is forcing you to watch a private organization and within that organization a privately owned team.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i assume you can quote where i said that any native american was offended or ought to be? i believe i've simply objected to the idea that 'redskins' is unoffensive just because white people say it is.

Quote:

and i don't think anyone here has suggested that they have to change it. but i will defend the idea that "redskin" is an inherently offensive term for native americans. my life changes in no way if snyder changes the name or if he doesn't. i don't think anyone else has suggested that the name be changed, either, though it's possible i misread something.
Sure, right there.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Also, BBD, just because YOU don't know Native Americans, doesn't mean all of us don't. I'm part Native American myself, and know plenty. Then again, I live in Oklahoma, there's lots round here :p

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
Also, BBD, just because YOU don't know Native Americans, doesn't mean all of us don't. I'm part Native American myself, and know plenty. Then again, I live in Oklahoma, there's lots round here :p
What part of Oklahoma?

Edit: Nvm read it on your location
Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
First of all the name was changed to Redskins to honor the owners mother who was part indian.

I just looked this claim up. That's not true. It is possible the Redskins name was to honor the then current coach William Dietz who said he was a Native American. This claim is somewhat dubious and it is likely he was a white guy pretending to be an Indian.

So a racist owner changes the name of a team from the "Braves" which would glorify Native Americans, to "Redskins" in honor of a man falsely claiming to be an Indian. Yeah, Redskins is totally 100% not racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

There's no proof either way that I've seen on where the name originated. But obviously the league didn't think it was a problem at the time or they wouldn't have given the ok
Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
There's no proof either way that I've seen on where the name originated. But obviously the league didn't think it was a problem at the time or they wouldn't have given the ok
It wasn't a problem at the time doesn't mean anything. Seperate bathrooms, water fountains, schools, and restaurants were okay at the time too.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Just posting this because...

I have a friend from school whose name is River Sky Eagle. Such an awesome name.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Percy Harvin begins training camp on the PUP list. Sounds like it might be serious.

Quote:
Percy Harvin's first training camp with the Seattle Seahawks begins on the physically unable to perform list.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Harvin has a possible slight tear in the labrum of his hip and will get a second opinion early next week, according to a source who is aware of Harvin's condition. The team will know more about his availability then.

The news is surprising because Harvin participated in minicamp practices with the team last month. Harvin was sidelined the second half of last season with an ankle injury but had been believed to be back to 100 percent.

The Seahawks gave up multiple draft picks in March to secure the mercurial playmaker in a trade with the Minnesota Vikings. Harvin has missed time with injuries and migraines throughout his career, though he passed a physical to finalize the trade.

Harvin is expected to be a main cog of a Seahawks team expected to make a run at the Super Bowl this season. Now, Pete Carroll must hold his breath and hope he'll have Harvin as an option as he game plans a new season.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ith-hip-injury

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan gets mega contract extension.

Quote:
Several teams have locked up franchise quarterbacks ahead of training camp this year. Add the Atlanta Falcons to that list.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Matt Ryan and the Falcons have agreed on a five-year extension worth $103.75 million. The deal includes $59 million guaranteed and $63 million in the first three years. ESPN's Chris Mortensen was first to report the news.

Ryan was set to enter the final season of the rookie contract he signed with the team after being selected third overall in the 2008 NFL Draft. If he plays out the life of his new deal, Ryan is in line to be a free agent when he is 32 years old.

Ryan is coming off the best season of his career. He threw for more than 4,700 yards with 32 touchdowns and 14 interceptions and a passer rating of 99.1. Ryan led the Falcons to the best record in the NFC before securing the first playoff win of his career. The Falcons were eliminated in a narrow NFC Championship Game loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

The Baltimore Ravens cost themselves millions by allowing Joe Flacco to play out the final year of his contract in 2012. The Falcons didn't take any chances with Ryan, a franchise star who should help keep them competitive for years to come.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...deal-extension

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are seriously still people who don't think Redskins is racist?

George Marshall put a condition in his will stating that no money could go to "any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form"

But you guys are right, he probably took a temporary break from being a bigoted douchebag to name the team with the intentions of "honoring" native americans.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

psh get your NFL news out of our race relations chat.

Synder will never change a extremely successful brand name. Redskins is fairly racist, but its considerably more profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
psh get your NFL news out of our race relations chat.

Synder will never change a extremely successful brand name. Redskins is fairly racist, but its considerably more profitable.
This part of the argument I cannot agree with at all. If the Redskins were to change their name, they would make HUGE money. Fans would be buying new jerseys for every big name player, not just the new guys coming in this season.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Washington D.C. Illuminati Puppets?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Very smart to resign Ryan now. It wasn't cheap, but it is cheaper than it would have been next season after the Falcons win the Super Bowl.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Percy Harvin has a partial tear of the labrum in his hip. The Seahawks want him to play through it, while Harvin wants a second opinion. Any speculation as to how long the recovery for this type of injury is if he were to have surgery?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reports...0166--nfl.html
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, it seems like its always something with Percy.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is a great guy. I had a chance to meet him, and I wish him the best. That's the cost of a franchise QB. Unless they wanted more drama by not paying him, this had to get done. So this type of contract puts even more pressure on Matt Ryan.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of people questioned Harvin's durability when that move happened and got shut down. Just saying.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I didn't think Percy was worth that selection in the first place due to the injuries. It's sad because this is something you never want to be right about.

According to Wake Forest Health
Quote:
How long is the recovery time?

Recovery time is approximately three to four months, and it ultimately is determined by how much work needs to be done and how much healing needs to occur before the patient can be allowed to return to activities. The ultimate goal of the procedure is to diagnose the problem, effectively treat it and then actually allow people to return to the activities that they enjoy.
This is if it does indeed require surgery. I am not positive, but I think the labrum is somewhat similar to the rotator cuff in the shoulder