Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Breed
Veteran

Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Lavonte David : DPOY ?

Through 13 games, he's accumulated the following stats:

6 sacks
5 ints
1 ff
1 safety
111 tackles

He'll likely finish with 130+ tackles, with a couple more splash plays as well.

Who deserves to win this award over David, based solely on play on the field?

Who is his competition? I haven't really heard a lot of raving about any one defensive player this year (Like Miller, Smith, and Watt last year.) best two defenses are Seattle and Carolina, but I'd say no one on those teams (Maybe Sherman?) seems good enough. So if not David, who?
Breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Earl Thomas from Seattle has been getting a lot of talk. Stats aren't elite, but his play is very high. Mathis from the Colts has 15.5 sacks and 5 FF, so that will get some looks. Tamba Hali will get some talk.

That said, I think Lavonte deserves the award. Great player, terrible team, so we'll see.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He definitely deserves to be in the conversation. The guy is just all over the place. He isn't even on nfl.coms watch lost of top 10 DPOY candidates which is a darn shame.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JJ Watt still deserves it.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David was also single handedly responsible for a loss against the Jets. It seems like he is compiling stats on a bad team. He's up there for consideration but he shouldn't win. I'd vote for Thomas or Kuechly.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Berry, clearly.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
David was also single handedly responsible for a loss against the Jets. It seems like he is compiling stats on a bad team. He's up there for consideration but he shouldn't win. I'd vote for Thomas or Kuechly.
I'd watch some games before making any assumptions. And that was single handedly one of the worst calls I've seen all year and he did not single handedly lose against the Jets pal.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
BucSquad
Veteran

BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What in the world? I agree with the previous answer of Watt.
BucSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watt. Cameron Jordan as a nice consolation prize, just like their draft :D :D
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
I'd watch some games before making any assumptions. And that was single handedly one of the worst calls I've seen all year and he did not single handedly lose against the Jets pal.
It was the correct call and that penalty turned a hail mary play with no time left into a 48 yard field go with no time left, which they made and thus you lost the game. The Bucs aren't as bad as their record, I've seen them play a ton. But I really feel like that loss set them off on a terrible start to the season.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Bucs147
Rookie

Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But I really feel like that loss set them off on a terrible start to the season.
Josh Freeman set them off on a terrible start. Had they won that game, the Bucs would still have been terrible with Freeman as their quarterback. In retrospect, I'm actually glad we lost that game so we could kick him out of town as soon as we did.

What cost the Bucs the Jets game was their pathetic offense led by Josh Freeman scoring only a single touchdown against an hapless Jets team.

As for Lavonte David, when you are 3rd in the league in TFL (behind Watt and Quinn) and you're the first LB in the history of the game to record 5+ INTs and 6+ sack in the same season, you're not just "compiling stats on a bad team". That means you're a terrific football player. That being said, I would also go with Watt.
Bucs147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs147 View Post
Josh Freeman set them off on a terrible start. Had they won that game, the Bucs would still have been terrible with Freeman as their quarterback. In retrospect, I'm actually glad we lost that game so we could kick him out of town as soon as we did.

What cost the Bucs the Jets game was their pathetic offense led by Josh Freeman scoring only a single touchdown against an hapless Jets team.

As for Lavonte David, when you are 3rd in the league in TFL (behind Watt and Quinn) and you're the first LB in the history of the game to record 5+ INTs and 6+ sack in the same season, you're not just "compiling stats on a bad team". That means you're a terrific football player. That being said, I would also go with Watt.
That's an amazing stat.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David is getting some love. This guy is just as much the LB that Kuechly is.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lavonte David should definitely be in the running for DPOY, but I don't think he'll win, simply because you don't usually see the POY awards going to players on losing teams. On top of that, David isn't really a well known guy like some of the other candidates are. Like it or not, it's still a popularity contest.

Not that I mind... David is clearly one of the best linebackers in the league and the fact that he plays for the Bucs is good enough for me.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's been a special player. Sucks people are going to bring up the Jets game when yes that was a bone head play but he's learned from it and moved on.

The Bucs have some really good players on D. McCoy, David, Revis, Barron and Goldson.

Just need the pass rushers and this unit can become great.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

robert mathis deserves some serious consideration, he gets my vote at this point. hes gonna finish around 20 sacks, and he has made game-changing plays in their signature wins.

the problem with david is I do have a hard time giving him award for best player of the year, when he he also made one of worst and most damaging plays of the year. that late hit was really unnecessary and the outcome of the game was swung entirely because of it, and the team went on a crazy downward spiral after that game. Cant put that on him, he has played amazing, but hard to give him the DPOY with that in mind, when there are other great players who have made the big plays to win their team games.

earl thomas, richard sherman, luke kuechly, mathis, quinn, and even verner I would put above him.

Last edited by Eazy Picks : 12-09-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

his stats back it up, unfortunately his teams record does not, still thinks he should be heavily considered because if Justin James deserves to be considered on his s*** team then he definitely does

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DPOY will be Kuechly just because HEART AND SOUL OF THAT DEFENSE!

Lavonte rules though.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JJ Watt has been the best defensive player in the league this year but won't win it because the Texans are going to have the 1st overall pick.

Outside that I would probably give it to Earl Thomas

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David is an absolute beast. Not only does he put up the stats, but you can always tell he is performing perfectly as you watch the game. If you see someone perform a perfect technical tackle, 9 ties out of 10 it is David.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think they'll give it to Kuechly by default but really a terrific year for defensive performances. eye popping stats from David and what Thomas has been doing is just neat to watch. interested to see how this shakes out.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam Jordan is awesome in the run game, 11.5 sacks as a 3-4 DE, leading a top 5 defense that was the worst ever last year in terms of yardage... his play is a big reason for the turnaround.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's JJ Watt's world and we're all just living in it.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Friendly reminder the Titans drafted Zach Brown over David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Friendly reminder the Titans drafted Zach Brown over David.

The Pats drafted Hightower over David, Wagner, and Brown.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote