Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.
Default Hugh Thornton OL Illinois

Wanted to get others thoughts here. Thornton has always stood out for the Illini for the most part even when the line has struggled. I saw more of the same in the Senior Bowl...Thornton was just mauling people. He also had several key blocks including the one where he pulled and opened it up for a Franklin TD (Showing his great mobility). I have always maintained that he is even better than Jon Asamoah the former Illini OG who was a 2nd round pick/currently starts for the Chiefs (And I really liked Asamoah). IMO he can also play OT due to his athleticism and is a solid 2nd-3rd rounder with a chance to move up big time. Your thoughts on Thornton?
bigbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenn View Post
Wanted to get others thoughts here. Thornton has always stood out for the Illini for the most part even when the line has struggled. I saw more of the same in the Senior Bowl...Thornton was just mauling people. He also had several key blocks including the one where he pulled and opened it up for a Franklin TD (Showing his great mobility). I have always maintained that he is even better than Jon Asamoah the former Illini OG who was a 2nd round pick/currently starts for the Chiefs (And I really liked Asamoah). IMO he can also play OT due to his athleticism and is a solid 2nd-3rd rounder with a chance to move up big time. Your thoughts on Thornton?
I like him a lot
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I certainly wouldn't say he was mauling people at the Senior Bowl. I thought he was very inconsistent throughout the week. One rep he would shut the person down, the next rep he would get abused.

I don't think he is anywhere near Asamoah's level. I think he is a solid 4th-5th guy.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably a top ten overall pick, along with Terry Hawthorne and Justin Green. He makes Jon Asamoah (probably one of, if not the best OL in the NFL) look like total crap. It's too bad everyone else on the Illini conspired to make them the worst team in the FBS.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I certainly wouldn't say he was mauling people at the Senior Bowl. I thought he was very inconsistent throughout the week. One rep he would shut the person down, the next rep he would get abused.

I don't think he is anywhere near Asamoah's level. I think he is a solid 4th-5th guy.
I didn't really see any of the practices I'm talking the actual game. As for being better, we'll just disagree there. I'd say Asamoah was definitely more consistent, but he doesn't have the raw power of Thornton and Asamoah has great strength. Thornton is also more athletic...I'd bet Thornton tests among the best OL in just about every category. I think Thornton has more potential as well which says a lot because I was very high on Asamoah. I think Thornton is going to be a surprise pick, possibly even the 1st round with teams putting more of a premium on interior OL who can neutralize the dominant NG in today's game. I wouldn't be surprised with that at all. I honestly haven't seen a better OG in this draft. Thornton is 6'3, 313 pounds. That's NFL size already and he definitely has NFL strength/great athleticism with the potential to get to 320-325 easily...I think his buzz is going to get a lot stronger soon.

Last edited by bigbenn : 02-14-2013 at 09:59 PM.
bigbenn is offline   Reply With Quote