Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
SOnMyChest
Rookie

SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Addressing Some of Mayock's Comments

Mike Mayock is by far my favorite tv NFL draft analyst, but he has made a few drastic statements this offseason that need to be addressed. Chance Warmack is not the best football player in this draft. He is not the best guard in the draft. I watch my fair share of tape and I think that it is very noticeable that Warmack was the third best lineman on his team behind Barrett Jones and Bamas Left Tackle. Warmack is not a bad player but to say he is the best is absurd. What do I think is the motive behind this bias judgment?

Mayock’s loyalty is forever with Notre Dame, he always gives a little extra when asked about the Notre Dame kids (Zeke Motta is not the 5th best safety either). Mayock wants to support the Notre Dame kids in this draft as much possible after the National Championship, Manti Te’o specifically comes to mind. Mayock also cares about the perception of his opinion so to avoid seeming bias, his MLB rankings have Te’o at 2, following the trend of Te’os falling stock. The former pride and joy of Notre Dame is under a lot of fire right now and what better way to indirectly support his team than rating Bama’s oline as the absolute best.

Bama’s oline probably was the best in college football this year but that does not mean Chance Warmack is Steve Hutchinson. Mayock also says D.J. Flucker will be gone by 21; the last time I heard someone say D.J. Flucker was a first round pick was week 4 of the college football season. I don’t necessarily disagree with his rational that Flucker has the length to be a stud right tackle, but since when do right tackle only prospects with below average film warrant automatic top 21 consideration. But back to Warmack. Warmack is a good player that combines surprising athleticism, good size, and strength to win in the run and pass game. Warmack is a skilled pass protector who is very good at using his punch to stop defenders. Warmack is strong but he relies on leverage to open holes in the run game. Often Warmack is able to wash defenders down the line of scrimmage but occasionally he misses and is forced to cut his man, which he has made a science. Warmack is overall an effective puller but his footwork is nothing special and he often ends up on the ground. Warmack ends a lot of plays on the ground. Warmack is not a bad player but he is not a road grader and he does not have the polish of a top 20 pick.

Jonathan Cooper is a better prospect in my eyes. With Cooper and Warmack being so close, Mayock had to make another ridiculous statement about how Cooper could also warrant the 1st overall pick. I think Cooper goes before Indy at 24 but is he the best player in the draft? Nope

Last edited by diabsoule : 02-23-2013 at 12:55 PM.
SOnMyChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting take bro but please indent your paragraphs.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wall o text
Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wall of text, didn't read.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I helped you out by breaking your GIANT WALL OF TEXT down into paragraphs. For future reference if you want anyone to read your posts, you should consider paragraphs.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
SOnMyChest
Rookie

SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SOnMyChest is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I helped you out by breaking your GIANT WALL OF TEXT down into paragraphs. For future reference if you want anyone to read your posts, you should consider paragraphs.
That was my first post, I apologize. Will take into consideration in the future
Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree Warmack is overrated. He's a good prospect, but not an elite prospect.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jon Cooper is a beast but Warmack is as well. DeCastro came around last year and everyone thought he was the best guard prospect in the last decade, Zeitler wasn't too shabby himself. Warmack and Cooper could both be top 10 picks and are both better prospects than DeCastro if you ask me. Insane. I am a huuuge Warmack fan but I can understand why some people are higher on Cooper, I personally would take either of them in a heartbeat. Warmack is probably my favorite player in this class though, and one of my favorite prospects ever. He is an absolute steamroller.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that Cooper is the best pulling Guard I've seen coming out of college. I think he's a guy who can legitimately change the way you run your offense. Maybe not in a huge way, but maybe you throw some plays into the playbook that you'd otherwise leave out.

Warmack probably has the higher floor and I don't think I'd consider either of these guys at #1, but I think Cooper is going to be an All-Pro for somebody.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It depends what you are looking for. I am pretty sure there isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't take either of them, but they definitely both bring different strengths to the table. Like I said I am a fan of both of them, I think Cooper is a better fit for the Patriots. I just love Warmack. He is a machine and will set the attitude for an offense.

It depends how you value interior linemen. I wouldn't call either of them "overrated", some people may like one guy over the next but they are both blue chip prospects at guard. Maybe someone may see drafting a guard in the top 10/15 as over drafting, but I wouldn't call either of them overrated at this point. Interior OL is becoming increasingly important if you ask me and having a dynamic versatile guy like Cooper or a bulldozer like Warmack could be worth more to some teams than most draftniks are accustomed to thinking about.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
kingdomcome
Rookie

kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kingdomcome is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would probably be safe to say if your team runs a zone-blocking system you would be better off taking Cooper. If you are more of a power scheme you would draft Warmack. Both of them are elite players.
kingdomcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The lack of paragraphs wasn't the only thing wrong with this post.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
JBScouting
Rookie

JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOnMyChest View Post
Mike Mayock is by far my favorite tv NFL draft analyst, but he has made a few drastic statements this offseason that need to be addressed. Chance Warmack is not the best football player in this draft. He is not the best guard in the draft. I watch my fair share of tape and I think that it is very noticeable that Warmack was the third best lineman on his team behind Barrett Jones and Bamas Left Tackle. Warmack is not a bad player but to say he is the best is absurd. What do I think is the motive behind this bias judgment?

Mayock’s loyalty is forever with Notre Dame, he always gives a little extra when asked about the Notre Dame kids (Zeke Motta is not the 5th best safety either). Mayock wants to support the Notre Dame kids in this draft as much possible after the National Championship, Manti Te’o specifically comes to mind. Mayock also cares about the perception of his opinion so to avoid seeming bias, his MLB rankings have Te’o at 2, following the trend of Te’os falling stock. The former pride and joy of Notre Dame is under a lot of fire right now and what better way to indirectly support his team than rating Bama’s oline as the absolute best.

Bama’s oline probably was the best in college football this year but that does not mean Chance Warmack is Steve Hutchinson. Mayock also says D.J. Flucker will be gone by 21; the last time I heard someone say D.J. Flucker was a first round pick was week 4 of the college football season. I don’t necessarily disagree with his rational that Flucker has the length to be a stud right tackle, but since when do right tackle only prospects with below average film warrant automatic top 21 consideration. But back to Warmack. Warmack is a good player that combines surprising athleticism, good size, and strength to win in the run and pass game. Warmack is a skilled pass protector who is very good at using his punch to stop defenders. Warmack is strong but he relies on leverage to open holes in the run game. Often Warmack is able to wash defenders down the line of scrimmage but occasionally he misses and is forced to cut his man, which he has made a science. Warmack is overall an effective puller but his footwork is nothing special and he often ends up on the ground. Warmack ends a lot of plays on the ground. Warmack is not a bad player but he is not a road grader and he does not have the polish of a top 20 pick.

Jonathan Cooper is a better prospect in my eyes. With Cooper and Warmack being so close, Mayock had to make another ridiculous statement about how Cooper could also warrant the 1st overall pick. I think Cooper goes before Indy at 24 but is he the best player in the draft? Nope
These are all opinions. Yours doesn't make you right and his doesn't make him right. In his eyes Warmack is the best player. I'm sure there are some teams who think he is.

I don't agree that he is the best player in this draft but I do think he is very good. One thing we can all agree on is that if a team could have the entire Bama OL as their line to develop I doubt they would turn it down. Every single one of them was good this year.

Depending on the scheme you run I could see you preferring Cooper from UNC, Warmack of Bama, or maybe even Warford of Kentucky.

Last edited by JBScouting : 02-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.
JBScouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOnMyChest View Post
Mayock’s loyalty is forever with Notre Dame.
You realize that Mike Mayock went to Boston College, right?
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Catholic school love?
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is the commentator on all of the Notre Dame games, so naturally he should know more about Notre Dame players and be able to talk about them at a greater length. Not sure if he values them higher as a result, I suppose it could work both ways because he sees all of the negative things the prospects do as well.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually agree with Mayock that Warmack has the best tape of all the draft eligible players (which is what he meant by saying he was the best player). I think he's the prospect with the fewest question marks to his game. He was easily better than Barrett Jones this year.

That being said, I don't have him as the #1 player overall in my rankings. And I think David DeCastro was probably a coin flip slightly better prospect.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph90702 View Post
You realize that Mike Mayock went to Boston College, right?
Yes but he gets a ton of money from NBC to watch every notre dame game this season. But Mayock isn't the only analyst that over rates Notre Dame prospects.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been hyping Cooper for a while now. Glad it's catching up over the past couple weeks. Best G in the draft.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
SOnMyChest
Rookie

My read of Warmack's play is only an opinion. I would love to hear what someone who is higher on Warmack had to say about him as a prospect. I consider Larry Warford to be the best road grader among the guards
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with you that Warmack isn't the prospect he's made out to be, since it isn't 1995 and mauling run blockers don't translate as well. I think the point about Notre Dame loyalty is a little far fetched though. He's a BC guy and he's not really a homer on the broadcast. I don't think he'd let it effect his evaluation. I just think he's doing a poor job of translating Warmack's skills to the NFL game.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
Yes but he gets a ton of money from NBC to watch every notre dame game this season. But Mayock isn't the only analyst that over rates Notre Dame prospects.
Scot Wright *cough* Jimmy Clausen *cough* *cough*