Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Nah, they go to those schools to get a degree from a prestigious university so they can make the big bucks. If they get the opportunity to slack off, they probably will.

The number one determinant of how difficult a course is is the instructor. There are some classes with teachers that amount to playing quarterback for the 2002 Texans. No matter how good (smart) you are, you're not going to be highly successful.

Then there are other classes that are the equivalent to playing wide receiver for the New England Patriots. These are the courses where the instructor curves every test to where a 20/50 is an A...because, despite the fact that nobody has any clue about the difficult material being taught, he can't fail everyone.

Just saying at schools like Harvard/Stanford, it's against the nature of most of those kids to slack off.

I visited a friend for a weekend at Harvard when I was in college and on Saturday night in October their library was FULL with students studying.

Many instructors there have no problem giving everyone in an entire course all As and Bs because on a 40 question exam, it's not uncommon for the worst test only to get 10 questions wrong.

Those schools aren't prestigious because of the professors.
They're name brands because of the students who attend undergrad and grad school there.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Sherman, but he's out of line. Skip Bayless has way more credentials than Sherman. Say what you want about Skip, but he's very smart and very knowledgeable.

Sherman is too though. He's marketing himself. This is part of the sports world nowadays, you gotta market yourself to stand out.

Sherman is good but he's not Revis and he needs to realize that. Hell, I could argue that Joe Haden is the 2nd best CB in the league, not Sherman. But he's very good. He needs to get humbled though.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I like Sherman, but he's out of line. Skip Bayless has way more credentials than Sherman. Say what you want about Skip, but he's very smart and very knowledgeable.

Sherman is too though. He's marketing himself. This is part of the sports world nowadays, you gotta market yourself to stand out.

Sherman is good but he's not Revis and he needs to realize that. Hell, I could argue that Joe Haden is the 2nd best CB in the league, not Sherman. But he's very good. He needs to get humbled though.
I always like when people say i like so and so but.....I'm waiting for the but part.

In a team sport like football i think you come across as an asshole if you try to stand out too much. Sure he had a great year and was a steal as a middle round pick, we get that. Just act like you've been there before.

As far as Seattle fans go they'd be the first to dispise the guy if he played for a competitor but his act plays pretty well in town as long as he gets the job done. Maybe i'm just too ####### old but to me he's a bit of a clown.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Just saying at schools like Harvard/Stanford, it's against the nature of most of those kids to slack off.

I visited a friend for a weekend at Harvard when I was in college and on Saturday night in October their library was FULL with students studying.

Many instructors there have no problem giving everyone in an entire course all As and Bs because on a 40 question exam, it's not uncommon for the worst test only to get 10 questions wrong.

They're name brands because of the students who attend undergrad and grad school there.
I live close to Stanford and have known a couple of people that went there. Been there myself a few times. Seems like those students, regardless of the major usually are working quite hard non stop. I've seen a number of students off campus at late night places close by just studying and studying. This one 24 Hour donut place is usually packed with Stanford kids.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 03-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

Yeah you're right... the kids who actually get accepted into Harvard for academic reasons don't slack off.

Harvard does not hand out athletic scholarships however they are very lenient in admissions if the kid is being recruited by one of their teams. Stanford can give scholarships and that probably makes athlete admissions even more of a joke. Sherman with a 990 SAT would not even sniff the University of Florida if applied solely through academics. His 4.2 GPA is very meh, I would need to see his transcripts to see what classes he took... if he took regular classes... literally you just show up color which part of the US was the confederacy or which part is the cell wall (with your textbook images right in front of you) and you get an A. At Compton, although not at all his fault I could imagine you can get an A just by having good attendance.

Moreover, grade inflation at Harvard is rampant. Although most of these kids don't need it and work very hard regardless, it is a lot easier for the majority to have As and Bs.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Yeah you're right... the kids who actually get accepted into Harvard for academic reasons don't slack off.

Harvard does not hand out athletic scholarships however they are very lenient in admissions if the kid is being recruited by one of their teams. Stanford can give scholarships and that probably makes athlete admissions even more of a joke. Sherman with a 990 SAT would not even sniff the University of Florida if applied solely through academics. His 4.2 GPA is very meh, I would need to see his transcripts to see what classes he took... if he took regular classes... literally you just show up color which part of the US was the confederacy or which part is the cell wall (with your textbook images right in front of you) and you get an A. At Compton, although not at all his fault I could imagine you can get an A just by having good attendance.

Moreover, grade inflation at Harvard is rampant. Although most of these kids don't need it and work very hard regardless, it is a lot easier for the majority to have As and Bs.
the bottom line is that he at least got his degree, nevermind what he did in high school. i'm sure he will make a great communicator.

seriously though, who cares how well he did on his SAT or his high school GPA. he could get a 1600 on his SAT and he would still sound like a moron when he talks about how he "lets his game do the talking"

Last edited by robert pancake gallery : 03-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert pancake gallery View Post
the bottom line is that he at least got his degree, nevermind what he did in high school. i'm sure he will make a great communicator.

seriously though, who cares how well he did on his SAT or his high school GPA. he could get a 1600 on his SAT and he would still sound like a moron when he talks about how he "lets his game do the talking"
I am not arguing whether or not he made the smart move to get his degree. Of course that was a good move by Sherman.

I am just refuting that just because he has a Stanford degree he is intelligent.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Swoll_Cat
Rookie

Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL 4.2 and a 990 on this sat? that breaks down to what -essentially a 500 a piece on math and verbal? With the utmost candor, a 500 on each section is not terrible. if my memory serves me correct, that puts him in roughly the 50th percentile in the country, not bad for an athlete. what makes me laugh is the fact that that score does not correlate to a 4.2 gpa, not even close. to get that gpa he obviously received mostly A's and took several ap/honors courses to help get him over the 4-0 mark. this speaks volumes of the his HS and how inflated his grades are,

regardless, i still gotta give him props for getting into stanford. being from CA, i graduated with a 4.4 gpa, top 1% of my hs class, took AP calculus, bio, physics, and the likes, had a couple clubs/sports on my resume, and got rejected from both berkeley and ucla (both top 25 in the country, but pale in comparison to stanford). getting into stanford is no easy feat and neither is graduating for an athlete.

had he tapped out after getting drafted without anything to show from the school then yeah, hes just another face in the crowd that got hooked up coming out of HS.
Swoll_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were going to venture a wild ass guess, I'd say that he probably struggled with the verbal portion of the SAT and owned the math portion. That's something that you would expect from a kid from Compton who gets accepted to Stanford, and also what you would expect for a school like Stanford to stop and take a second look.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Swoll_Cat
Rookie

Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If I were going to venture a wild ass guess, I'd say that he probably struggled with the verbal portion of the SAT and owned the math portion. That's something that you would expect from a kid from Compton who gets accepted to Stanford, and also what you would expect for a school like Stanford to stop and take a second look.
naw hes just over the minimal acceptance threshold. if youre an athlete and possess superior grades, you just need to do well enough to get in
Swoll_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

This is 100% right. Skip called him out on him talking trash to make a name for himself. It looks pretty bad for Sherman to deny that and claim that he let's his play speak for itself when he's pretty clearly speaking on his own behalf on Twitter and whatnot.

Skip is extremely annoying and so it's fun watching people go after him, but I'm siding with him on this one. To me, Richard Sherman is the football equivalent of Skip Bayless. He's very good at what he does, but then he realized that more people would notice him if he became a polarizing figure by trash talking loudly rather than letting his play do the talking (as he claims to do).

In terms of sticking it to Skip, Sherman isn't anywhere close to when Jalen Rose (I think it was?) made fun of him for averaging 2 points per game in high school. He actually had Skip dumbfounded and looking embarrassed.

Last edited by badgerbacker : 03-11-2013 at 04:04 AM.
badgerbacker is online now   Reply With Quote