Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bjoern Werner Draft Comparison

I've been a big fan of Bjoern Werner ever since this last CFB season and was wanting the Saints to be able to able to draft him when they ran a 4-3. Now, I'm still hoping they're able to draft him even though they run a 3-4. I've been trying to justify them drafting him and finally found a similar comparison to him as far as NFL scouting combine numbers go.

This is what I found.

Bjoern Werner
40 - 4.83
Bench - 25 reps
Vertical - 31"
Broad Jump - 111"
3 Cone - 7.30
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.40

Paul Kruger
40 - 4.83
Bench - 24 reps
Vertical - 32.5
Broad Jump - 108
3 Cone - 7.52
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.47

I know this doesn't prove that Werner can make the transition but I think it helps back it up that the potential is there.

What do y'all think?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Werner can't cover he can't cover and no measurables are going to change that. As of right now there are much better fits at 3-4 OLB, Werner would have some serious growing pains and considering the Saints are legit contenders if they fix their D this year, getting a project like Werner wouldn't make much sense.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
If Werner can't cover he can't cover and no measurables are going to change that. As of right now there are much better fits at 3-4 OLB, Werner would have some serious growing pains and considering the Saints are legit contenders if they fix their D this year, getting a project like Werner wouldn't make much sense.
He has some experience standing up. He did it occasionally at Florida State. Also, I don't think there's a 3-4 pass rusher in this draft class that isn't a project or that doesn't have a glaring weakness. The most complete 3-4 OLB prospect is Dion Jordan and he's going to be LONG gone by the time the Saints pick.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Mingo a lot in a 3-4.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Same. Hopefully he doesn't get past the Jets at 9.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think with Werner and Kruger it ends at the numbers mentioned above. Werner uses his hands a whole lot better and plays with better leverage. I like Werner's initial burst also, 1.68 10 yd split to around 1.74 for Kruger. I'd probably use a Chris Long comparison before i'd use Paul Kruger.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He stood up very little at FSU. Watching him whole career, I really can't see a way he would thrive in a 3-4 to be honest. His natural fit is still in the 4-3 and where he would be most effective imo.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Werner is a high motor guy just like Krueger and Chris Long.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the idea of Werner going to the Saints as a 3-4 olb. Many 3-4 pass rushers don't have much experience covering coming out of college. Their defense can't get any worse :)
batsandgats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think with Werner and Kruger it ends at the numbers mentioned above. Werner uses his hands a whole lot better and plays with better leverage. I like Werner's initial burst also, 1.68 10 yd split to around 1.74 for Kruger. I'd probably use a Chris Long comparison before i'd use Paul Kruger.
I was just basing this off of similar combine numbers. Here's Long's combine numbers (aren't even close to comparable to Werner's because they're much better):

Chris Long:
40 - 4.75
Bench - DNP
Vertical - 34
Broad Jump - 124
Shuttle - 4.21
3 Cone - 7.02

The other closes guys that compare to Werner's combine numbers alone are Akeem Ayers and Christian Ballard.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
He has to play in a 3-4. I never thought I'd say this, but he's skinny for 240 lbs. And, he's not going to get bigger. He's already 22-23 years old.
ph90702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate doing white guy comparisons but his game is comparable to Kyle Vanden Bosch. Werner's rip move, leverge and hip fluidity is similar... obviously doesn't have KVB's insane motor, although Werner has a good one. Hopefully he can stay healthy unlike Kyle during the early part of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone thrown out Aaron Kampman yet?
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll keep it going, Aaron Schobel!

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reminds me of Whitey McWhiterson.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Reminds me of Whitey McWhiterson.
Man did that guy have a motor.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Never as good an athlete as the other guys, but as smart as there was on Sundays.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont hate Werner as a 3-4 OLB but Kruger took a while. Werner IS better as a prospect THO.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
He wasn't really a speed rusher, but he really made the most of what he had to work with!
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was just so gritty.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would Ryan Kerrigan be a fair comparison?

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Diab, I know you stole this H/W/S comparison from twitter and are now claiming it as your own insight but whatever.

I understand why people roll their eyes when they hear another white-on-white comparison but I think what gives this comparison validity is not just the size and athletic similarities (which are certainly there) but more so the stylistic similarities. Both more finesse, upfield pass rushers with great first step. Both have that same repertoire where they don't make many inside moves and they don't set up their pass rush with power. They are speed rushers with a better burst than long speed who just try to get a great get off than use the upfield rip or hand-chop to turn the corner. And despite both being blue collar white guys, neither are particularly interested in playing the run and neither guy is particularly relentless in pursuit when their initial pass rush move fails.

Werner's at his best is Osi. Werner's middle ground is probably quite close to a Paul Kruger type player.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Would Ryan Kerrigan be a fair comparison?
Not really. Kerrigan put up WAY better combine numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Well Diab, I know you stole this H/W/S comparison from twitter and are now claiming it as your own insight but whatever.

I understand why people roll their eyes when they hear another white-on-white comparison but I think what gives this comparison validity is not just the size and athletic similarities (which are certainly there) but more so the stylistic similarities. Both more finesse, upfield pass rushers with great first step. Both have that same repertoire where they don't make many inside moves and they don't set up their pass rush with power. They are speed rushers with a better burst than long speed who just try to get a great get off than use the upfield rip or hand-chop to turn the corner. And despite both being blue collar white guys, neither are particularly interested in playing the run and neither guy is particularly relentless in pursuit when their initial pass rush move fails.

Werner's at his best is Osi. Werner's middle ground is probably quite close to a Paul Kruger type player.
Actually I'm not stealing this from anybody, at least not from any of my followers. I (@LaSportsDude) put this H/W/S on twitter while looking at who compares to Werner because I've been making the argument that I think Werner could transition to a 3-4.

I have a doc on my computer with the H/W/S and combine numbers of this year's 3-4 OLB prospects and with those dating back to 2009 so I could get a comparison. Kruger's numbers just match up incredibly well to Werner's which is why I'm using him.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 03-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I've been a big fan of Bjoern Werner ever since this last CFB season and was wanting the Saints to be able to able to draft him when they ran a 4-3. Now, I'm still hoping they're able to draft him even though they run a 3-4. I've been trying to justify them drafting him and finally found a similar comparison to him as far as NFL scouting combine numbers go.

This is what I found.

Bjoern Werner
40 - 4.83
Bench - 25 reps
Vertical - 31"
Broad Jump - 111"
3 Cone - 7.30
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.40

Paul Kruger
40 - 4.83
Bench - 24 reps
Vertical - 32.5
Broad Jump - 108
3 Cone - 7.52
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.47

I know this doesn't prove that Werner can make the transition but I think it helps back it up that the potential is there.

What do y'all think?
I think he's a lot more like Aaron Kampman right after he dropped his weight from 290 to 260.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

LOL are you guys just trolling now? I think he's been compared to every white DE so far.