Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.
Default Michael Turner - Bills or Titans?

I know we have a Turner thread already but it is a speculation thread. This one has actual information. It looks like it is down to a 2 team race for Turner between the Bills and Titans because all reports indicate that the Packers don't have interest in him. It seems like a deal could go down by the weekend.

Bills
Restricted free agent Michael Turner will visit Buffalo on Wednesday.
Buffalo would seem an even better fit for Turner than the Titans, who already have a back with similar skills in LenDale White. If the Bills get Turner under contract, they could use their first-round pick on a defender.
Source: Nashville City Paper

Titans
POSTED 8:38 p.m. EDT, April 3, 2007 TITANS MAKING PROGRESS WITH TURNER? Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper reports that the Tennessee Titans are in negotiations with Chargers running back Michael Turner. Though nothing is imminent, enough progress has been made to prompt the Titans to postpone the scheduled visit of running back Corey Dillon to next week. Turner is a restricted free agent, tendered at the highest possible level. If the Titans sign him to an offer sheet and the Chargers do not match it, the Chargers would get Tennessee's first-round pick and third-round pick in the April 28 draft. Alternatively, the Titans could work out a trade with the Chargers while working out a long-term contract with Turner.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Quote:
The Tennessee Titans have entered preliminary negotiations with restricted free agent running back Michael Turner and have discussed compensation with the San Diego Chargers.

Turner, tendered at a first and third-round compensation level, visited Nashville on Monday. Turner took a physical, met Titans coaches and watched film on the visit.

“We have had some discussions with his agent about a contract, and we have discussed with the Chargers what they would consider to be proper compensation,” Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said. “We’ve had discussions, but nothing is imminent.”

Asked if progress had been made, Reinfeldt replied, “I think anytime you’re talking, that’s a sign of progress. It’s when the talking stops that you don’t have progress.”

Cook declined to talk about any specifics of his negotiations with the Titans, but added that Tennessee will have some competition as it pursues the backup to LaDainian Tomlinson.

“He has a visit scheduled to Buffalo [today],” Cook said of Turner, who rushed for 502 yards a year ago.
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index....&news_id=55481

• RB Corey Dillon has told friend and former Patriots teammate, RB Kevin Faulk that he is retired and enjoying spending time with his family. Recent reports have the Titans searching for RBs and showing interest if Dillon is available to them. They are not convinced that RB LenDale White has the dedication and work ethic to be a featured star.

http://www.gridironnation.com/

NFL | Dillon may retire
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:40:27 -0700

The NFL Network reports free-agent RB Corey Dillon (Patriots) will retire if he doesn't find the "right situation".

www.kffl.com

Titans | Dillon won't visit team Wednesday
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 18:12:23 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said free-agent RB Corey Dillon (Patriots) will not make his scheduled visit with the Titans Wednesday, April 4. Reinfeldt said the plan is for Dillon to visit the team later this week or early next week.

www.kffl.com
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Eagles own the NFC East
Veteran

Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.

That guy said Turner and White are the same type of RB LOL.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh boy, a bid war.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

neither, he's a UFA next year, and both teams cant stand to lose both a first and third rounder.
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default hmmm

Unless it's a trade, I don't see him going anywhere. He's great insurance for LT and I'm guessing the Chargers want someone they know back there if LT ever gets injured. They are serious contenders this year and I don't think they will want to trade away any of their more valuable backups.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess View Post
neither, he's a UFA next year, and both teams cant stand to lose both a first and third rounder.
That is the tender placed on him, they wouldn't ask for that in a trade.....most likely.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

The Bills have the higher pick so hopefuly them. Turner will be a good fit anywhere he goes though.
defensiveback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

At first I was convinced he was going to stay in SD, because of the high tender and AJ's apparent desire to keep him in SD through the season. With all the recent news surrounding the trade possibilities though, I actually think a trade to Tennesee is more likely, as Buffalo is essentially guaranteed Lynch if they want, but Tennessee isn't guaranteed any "first-round" running back prospect, and would have to look elsewhere if they want an impact guy.

Honestly though, whether they keep him, or trade him to either team, I feel San Diego will have made a good decision. After the season it may be apparent one would have been the better decision, but I don't think they can go wrong in this spot.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
That is the tender placed on him, they wouldn't ask for that in a trade.....most likely.
yeah this is true, but even if they did work a deal it would defitnaly consist of giving up some picks, and the titans and bills cant afford that.
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is in the Chargers' best interest to trade him ASAP unless they don't mind having him as a backup again and losing him to free agency next year. His value won't be greater than it is now before the draft.

If the best offer is a 2nd, I think they'd take it. It won't be though. I think the trade will involve switching 1sts and maybe another pick. The Bills have an earlier pick than the Titans and two 2nd's - I think he's a Bill by the draft myself.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Bills just swap 1st rounder I could live with it.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If I'm the Titans, I trade down with a team with a late first rounder like the Bears or Saints. Picking up at least a 3rd in the deal and probably more ( Ex. future 2nd) Then sign Turner. It would be the same as getting Turner and a future second for their first rounder. Which isn't a bad trade.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
If I'm the Titans, I trade down with a team with a late first rounder like the Bears or Saints. Picking up at least a 3rd in the deal and probably more ( Ex. future 2nd) Then sign Turner. It would be the same as getting Turner and a future second for their first rounder. Which isn't a bad trade.
I could be wrong but to sign any type of tendered player(i.e franchise, RFA) you have to give your pick to that team. In your scenario, a trade down, the team would no longer be eligible to sign him because the pick they trade for in the first round is no longer their pick.
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105 View Post
I could be wrong but to sign any type of tendered player(i.e franchise, RFA) you have to give your pick to that team. In your scenario, a trade down, the team would no longer be eligible to sign him because the pick they trade for in the first round is no longer their pick.

Really? So when it's "Two First Round Picks" for a franchise player, it has to be YOUR two first rounders?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
Really? So when it's "Two First Round Picks" for a franchise player, it has to be YOUR two first rounders?
Yes.

BTW is anyone really going to be surprised if AJ Smith pulls off a first for a backup RB?
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Yes
That's pretty lame.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Yes.

BTW is anyone really going to be surprised if AJ Smith pulls off a first for a backup RB?
Yes, I would be because RB's are usually not usually highly regarded for trades. Starting RB's in the past have not come close to getting first round picks. I'm not saying its not gonna happen but it would show how good a GM A.J Smith is if he manages to get a first for what has been a backup in the leage so far at a position that is not highly regarded.
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
BoltsOnTheBeach

I think Tennesse is the more likely team to make the deal, the swap of the 19th for the 30, and possibly swapping the 3rd rounders would sound like a more viable option. Either way, i'm sad to see Burner leave because he will be a solid starter, good for him.

By trading up into the top 20 or top 15... are the chargers looking for WR (Ginn or Meachem), S (Nelson or Griffin), or LB (Posluzny or Willis)?

Last edited by BoltsOnTheBeach : 04-04-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At 19 they'd probably be looking at a WR - I have a strong feeling 1st round defense is going to be raided of all but Griffin, Pos and maybe one CB out of Hall, Revis and Houston by #19 - it's a pretty bad spot honestly.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
At 19 they'd probably be looking at a WR - I have a strong feeling 1st round defense is going to be raided of all but Griffin, Pos and maybe one CB out of Hall, Revis and Houston by #19 - it's a pretty bad spot honestly.
But how easy does it make it to jump ahead of the Jaguars for Nelson?
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Not sure, that's why I think the Chargers would obviously want to deal with the Bills more if it involves swapping 1st's.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
I think they would want Griffin in that spot, assuming Nelson isn't available. The only first round WR's the Chargers would want, IMO, is Meachem or Ginn, as they are the speedy reciever the Chargers need to complement their big guys. Granted they would probably/maybe still be on the board at 19, but I think they see a much bigger possibility of getting a speed WR in the second or third round than getting a safety, although that is another position that is still deep.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think 19 is a real rough spot for the Chargers to move into. We could get a nice receiver at 30 if that's what we wanted, but I think who we covet might be Reggie Nelson. If we could get that 12 from the Bills it would be HUGE.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I'm hoping the Bills can pull of something like a 3rd this year (preferably the one that we acquired from the Ravens) and then a conditional 2nd next year which can escalate into a 1st, depending on how Turner plays.

However, I would also do a 12 and 30 swap. We could possibly get Timmons or Beason at 30 to satisfy our LB needs. Also, some good CB's and WR's could also be available. I really wouldn't mind a swap.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess View Post
I thought he only cost a 2nd rounder?And, I'd love to see him as a titan
________
VOLCANO SOLID VALVE OR EASY VALVE

Last edited by OSUGiants17 : 05-10-2011 at 08:35 PM.
OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote