Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Randy Gregory - The Next JPP?

Apparently that's the buzz on twitter lately. What's your take on him? Yay or nay?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gregory has a lot of those tools you can't coach, the frame and athleticism are definitely there. Guys like him tend to be a hot commodity in the NFL and he is putting together a great season. I have seen him play twice this year and I was very impressed both times. Could be looking at the next JPP/Ansah who comes out of nowhere and becomes a high pick, he definitely has the talent to do so and it is showing on the field this season.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly to me, these are the guys I would draft as pass rushers. To me pass rushing isn't very complicated. It's all about athleticism. I want the long/strong/fast guy to just freak his way to the qb.

I wonder how high his stock will sore. With JPP being a success, and Ansah showing early returns, it wouldn't surprise me if this guy's stock skyrockets as a result.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Combine will be big for him. Production seems to be warranting a hard look in the top 50 overall.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gunna be a sweet pick for the giants at #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you combine that long frame and pure athleticism you get what every team wants in a pass rusher. You really can coach the rest. There are some very good pass rushers in the NFL who aren't 6-6 270 freaks, you don't have to be that kind of physical talent to make an impact, but the fact of the matter is that guys like this don't come along very often and that is why they tend to come off the boards quickly. It is just physically tough to block someone that big who moves that well and the wingspan to keep people off.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
He might soften the blow since Clowney won't be there at 32.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So the Giants are going to be the Seahawks' trade down partner? Good to know.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guys really really fast, there's just a few things:

I don't think he's the JPP and Ansah type, I get the comparison has largely been made with raw DEs coming out of college, so that part is true. But style of play is much much different.

Gregory's got a lot smaller frame than JPP or Ansah, his measurables at the combine will tell alot to me. Rivals had him at 230 when he signed with Nebraska, Nebraska has him at 255 but if you read the text it says 230. ESPN has 230. He doesn't need to look or be huge, but he needs to weigh in around 250 at least IMO (which he should be able to do)

I question his ability to engage blockers, help in the run game etc early on in his career. But he's got great burst, lateral movement and seems to recognize plays fairly well for a guy in his first year of D-1.

I think to develop as a player he'd be best to stay another year, but with that said with good workout numbers a team would likely be willing to take him high even after this season. There's too many 3-4 teams looking for Backers and too many 43 teams looking for pass rushers to ignore him.

Film on him is scare, I've seen him in several games so I don't fully have to rely on the film and he seems like a Jevon Kearse type of freak at the DE position. I'd still like to see more film on him doing all the other things DEs need to do, but he's got quickness off the snap down
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Huskers coach Bo Pelini answered "no" when asked earlier this week if Gregory was ready for the NFL. Pelini was an NFL assistant for nine seasons, and he said Gregory's pass-rush skills remind him of former Patriots and Browns star and current NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest. But Pelini also said Gregory needs to improve against the run. Gregory has excellent speed and is dangerous off the edge, but opponents have had some success running right at him.

You want pass rushers, especially at that level," Pelini said, per the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald. "You don't want a guy who you feel is going to be a liability in the run game. Trust me when I say that Randy is not a liability for us in the run game, but there's a lot more out there for him as far as being an every-down guy. That's what they are looking for at that level right now."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-ready-for-nfl

Interesting statements from Pelini who spent plenty of time coaching in the NFL. I haven't seen enough to evaluate his ability to play the run but I wonder if his comment was based in his size being closer to the 230lbs compared to the listed 255lbs. If that is the case he should really consider another year under a D-1 strength and conditioning program to add bulk to his frame. Otherwise he may be forced to play in a situational role like Dion Jordan has in Miami.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 11-21-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Oh damn I didn't know he's only 230. That's way too small. I was hoping he'd be 255 and get to the combine at 265.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't taken an in-depth look at Gregory yet, just flashes while watching others.

With that said I have a good friend who is a huge Cornhuskers fan and he has been in my ear singing Gregory's praises for a couple of months. Sure appears to have first round potential.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Last edited by Scott Wright : 11-21-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More Barkevious Mingo than JPP/Ansah IMO.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guy I like as this years JPP/Ansah is Kony Ealy, guy is good
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 AM    (permalink
bruschis4all
Veteran

bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bruschis4all is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to PSU/Nebraska game on Saturday. I'll try to keep an eye on him for a few plays and give a report.
bruschis4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is with all this JPP talk? JPP has an extremely thick base and holds the point of attack better, I can see it though kind of but Gregory will have to add weight like he did.

Randy Gregory is a special athlete and your quick twitch pass rusher. I would say he is much more like a taller Terrell Suggs or Bruce Irvin than JPP. And most likely a 3/4 OLB all the way potentially. That could all change if he adds some weight, Michael Johnson did for the Bengals and now he can be a DE in a 4/3 at his 270 mark.

Quick off the edge, very impressive speed around the corner, can really close and could easily argue no defensive end is playing better than him the last few weeks. He has been ridiculously good.

Is Gregory eligible for the draft? It says he is a sophomore but he went to JUCO and did go to a prep school. I looked on the Nebraska site and it is not clear about it. says sophomore than ESPN says he is a junior. Wonder if he could come out this year? If so he obviously should without question as much hype as he is getting right now. I am pretty sure he can....
Old 11-22-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By "The Next JPP" do you mean "one year wonder, average all the other time, not as good as Brandon Graham"?

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
By "The Next JPP" do you mean "one year wonder, average all the other time, not as good as Brandon Graham"?
I tried looking for the next Brandon Graham. But I realized God is already in heaven.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I tried looking for the next Brandon Graham. But I realized God is already in heaven.
I actually feel sorry for Brandon Graham. I mean, as we can all agree he is a pass rushing phenom who should already be in the HOF. It's not his fault that all 4 defensive cooridnators he has had in the NFL just haven't seen the obvious amazing-ness that is Brandon Graham.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually think Kony Ealy is in the JPP/Ansah boat as far as comparisons.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
More Barkevious Mingo than JPP/Ansah IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
The guy I like as this years JPP/Ansah is Kony Ealy, guy is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I actually think Kony Ealy is in the JPP/Ansah boat as far as comparisons.
I think the three of you are on to something.
IMO as well, Gregory = Mingo type, Ealy = J.P.P./Aldon Smith (my contribution) type.

Deion Sanders
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
What is with all this JPP talk? JPP has an extremely thick base and holds the point of attack better, I can see it though kind of but Gregory will have to add weight like he did.

Randy Gregory is a special athlete and your quick twitch pass rusher. I would say he is much more like a taller Terrell Suggs or Bruce Irvin than JPP. And most likely a 3/4 OLB all the way potentially. That could all change if he adds some weight, Michael Johnson did for the Bengals and now he can be a DE in a 4/3 at his 270 mark.

Quick off the edge, very impressive speed around the corner, can really close and could easily argue no defensive end is playing better than him the last few weeks. He has been ridiculously good.

Is Gregory eligible for the draft? It says he is a sophomore but he went to JUCO and did go to a prep school. I looked on the Nebraska site and it is not clear about it. says sophomore than ESPN says he is a junior. Wonder if he could come out this year? If so he obviously should without question as much hype as he is getting right now. I am pretty sure he can....
He is draft eligible. He was a freshman in 2011, missed 2012 due to a broken leg (i think he redshirted) and then playing for Nebraska in 13 so that's the 3 year requirement
Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
He might soften the blow since Clowney won't be there at 32.
Yeah, but who knows, Kenny wasn't supposed to fall to 32, JPP was supposed to go top 5, guys tend to fall to us when we need them since JR won't move around in the draft for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-ready-for-nfl

Interesting statements from Pelini who spent plenty of time coaching in the NFL. I haven't seen enough to evaluate his ability to play the run but I wonder if his comment was based in his size being closer to the 230lbs compared to the listed 255lbs. If that is the case he should really consider another year under a D-1 strength and conditioning program to add bulk to his frame. Otherwise he may be forced to play in a situational role like Dion Jordan has in Miami.
Good pass rushers will be taken high regardless of run stopping ability. This is probably just Pelini trying to get him to stay another year.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah, but who knows, Kenny wasn't supposed to fall to 32, JPP was supposed to go top 5, guys tend to fall to us when we need them since JR won't move around in the draft for them.
Many thought JPP might go to the Raiders, but after that he was projected to go to either the Giants or Titans. Some still had him going in the 2nd though