Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
People overanalyze forty times. Players get months to train for it, he obviously listened to his trainers on techniques to improve his times. The 4.40 doesn't translate to the field. You can't tell me he's faster than Sammy. I like Moncrief like many of you, but to me he's a 3rd-4th rounder and the forty doesn't change that.

Ole Miss' HC said Moncrief was the fastest player on their roster. His 40 time IMO is legit.

However all times have to be looked at in context. Sammie Watkins game tape says he's one of the more explosive players in this draft. If he runs at Clemson's pro day, I think we'll see Watkins run a sub-4.35.

I remember Seahawks safety Earl Thomas ran a 4.5 at the combine but ran a 4.39 at UT's pro day. Watching him in the NFL, Thomas' speed seems closer to what he ran at his pro day and not the combine.

Some guys just have a hard time with that weird stance and clock reaction to first movement thing at Indy.

I don't even need an official time for DAT and Watkins to know how fast they are.

If either of these guys catch the ball with a step on a defender, they will not be caught.

Why do you rate Moncrief a 3d/4th rounder?? I don't get that at all.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Totally agree with you, Fun. Every play in the NFL is a rolling start.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
People overanalyze forty times. Players get months to train for it, he obviously listened to his trainers on techniques to improve his times. The 4.40 doesn't translate to the field. You can't tell me he's faster than Sammy. I like Moncrief like many of you, but to me he's a 3rd-4th rounder and the forty doesn't change that.
Except for the fact that he does play that fast and it has been no secret he's been this fast for a long time. You sound pretty clueless as to who we are even talking about here anyway with the whole "players have months to train for the 40" because Moncrief has been clocked running this fast of a time for 2 years now. So these last few months to train you speak of has no bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People said Mike Wallace was being overrated after he blazed fast 40. I'm not saying Moncrief equals Wallace, I'm just sayin.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Moncrief like many of you, but to me he's a 3rd-4th rounder and the forty doesn't change that.
This sentence is internally contradictory.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Moncrief came into the combine a 3rd-4th rounder. He leaves around a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Moncrief was at worst a 3rd before the combine. The 40 time isn't a surprise as well as some others have said. Watch him run away from guys and absolutely destroy some angles from safeties. The guy can fly.

But the depth at this WR class is what will cause him to fall probably until at least the middle fo the second. He is big, fast and with decent hands but he is still a little raw.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Steelers miss out on Evans in round 1, Moncrief is my guy in the second without a doubt.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watkins has his spot locked in as the top WR, but Moncrief can catch anyone else. Because Evans had the better season and also had a great combine - not freakish on Moncrief's leve, but he did everything he had to - Evans has to be the favorite for that 2nd WR, but after that combine, teams are going to go back and see how Moncrief should have had 300 yards against LSU in 2012 - if not for Bo Wallace. In that same game, they're going to see him completely embarrass Eric Reid in the open field and run away from the LSU D. They're going to wonder what Moncrief would have looked like with Manziel instead of Wallace as his QB.

At this time in 2011, people were still hesitant to put Julio Jones in the top 10. That's probably your best pro comp for Moncrief. I remember getting slammed (not on this board, obviously) for mocking Julio higher than Nick Fairley (I believe it was to the Titans at #8 - where they eventually drafted Jake Locker).

When you couple his amazing combine (which confirms the tape - rather than contradicts it) with his dominance of CB's who have played in the NFL, Moncrief is almost a lock to be drafted top 20.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
When you couple his amazing combine (which confirms the tape - rather than contradicts it) with his dominance of CB's who have played in the NFL, Moncrief is almost a lock to be drafted top 20.
We're going to have agree to disagree here. I don't see him inside the top 45. Obviously your opinion of his tape and mine are irreconcilable.

He killed the combine. But I think that was expected. It's possible a team concurs with your opinion. So not ruling it out -- it's a plausible scenario. I don't see him as a top 10 prospect at the WR position.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ive always loved moncrief, he came together as a player this season (as in more than just a mean double move)

His combine has been ridiculous. He is definitely in the first round conversation, if Nicks, Heyward Bey, and Britt are first rounders...pencil moncrief in
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM    (permalink
SRogers92
Rookie

SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SRogers92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You definitely can't pencil him in for the first round. Especially in a draft this deep.
SRogers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point id be surprised if he wasnt a late first rounder. But penciling in can be changed.

I just think back to the niners taking AJ Jenkins, the Colts taking Anthony Gonzales, and the Chargers taking Buster Davis and dont see how Moncrief isnt a first rounder, but you are right its not a for sure thing
Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch some of the games Moncrief put up against NFL DB's with Bo Wallace "getting him the ball". Keep in mind that our offense was basically the Donte Moncrief show up until this year when Treadwell, Evan Engram, and Jeff Scott all contributed. I have been following and pimping Moncrief since he was a true freshman, and even I didn't expect him to work out and measure as well as he did. I was expecting him to do well in Indy, but he just destroyed the combine. This is a deep draft for receivers but I believe he is just as good as any of them.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
At this point id be surprised if he wasnt a late first rounder. But penciling in can be changed.

I just think back to the niners taking AJ Jenkins, the Colts taking Anthony Gonzales, and the Chargers taking Buster Davis and dont see how Moncrief isnt a first rounder, but you are right its not a for sure thing
You have to take into account the strength of the WR class around him. I love Moncrief and I definitely think he could be a first round pick but it's not crazy to think there could be 5 WRs that go ahead of him which would make it hard to go in the first.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 PM    (permalink
markulous
Rookie

markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.markulous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we grab a QB in the first because there are going to be some stud WRs there with our 2nd round pick and I don't want to wait until the 3rd to draft a QB.
markulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post

Exactly. WRs with his measurables don't last very long and his film is far more impressive then his stats ended up being. The WR class is crowded so obviously it's hard to peg who will go where but I expect Moncrief to be in contention for all of those playoff teams. SF is another good landing spot for him in that range.

I really think he was only a 4th rounder if you never heard of him before the combine. With his stats it's hard to generate very much hype but he's always been a fringe 1st round prospect. He's got elite size, elite speed, and elite route running ability. I would be concerned if he was just running Go routes but he looks pretty advanced as far as the nuances of the position go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

He was a good WR with pretty much only a double move before this year, a lethal one, but a one trick pony nonetheless.

He grew into a complete receiver over the 2013 season though
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Said it somewhere else, but I think Moncrief has an outside shot at catching Evans as the #2 WR in the draft. Evans definitely made it more difficult by having a very strong combine, but after Moncrief's combine, scouts and GM's are going to go back to the the tape and see that he could have had 300 yards against LSU in 2012 - if not for some misses by Bo Wallace. They're going to see him abusing NFL CB's.

I think Julio Jones is his best pro comp.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Duke
Rookie

Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
Said it somewhere else, but I think Moncrief has an outside shot at catching Evans as the #2 WR in the draft. Evans definitely made it more difficult by having a very strong combine, but after Moncrief's combine, scouts and GM's are going to go back to the the tape and see that he could have had 300 yards against LSU in 2012 - if not for some misses by Bo Wallace. They're going to see him abusing NFL CB's.

I think Julio Jones is his best pro comp.
That's some pretty strong comparison and thoughts loved to see him fall to me in my 2nd roun 2.03
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd gladly welcome him to buffalo with their second round pick as a first round value, wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in round 1. He'll be one of the many steals in round 2 IMO come April... F@€k May. The draft is that deep as I see it.

I have him #3 on my board right now, behind Evans and ahead of lee.

Last edited by Poz51 : 02-24-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Moncrief, but watching his game tape and his number they match up. The one thing is, he is a different WR, he isn't the climb the ladder, jump ball type of guy(maybe qb play?) But get him the ball he makes a move and picks up yards. Throw the ball up and he'll track it down and get under the ball. He is a big WR, but not the jump ball type, his game is different.

That said, decent chance of 1st round, lock for the second.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a good WR class. I could see someone like him going in the second or third round and it not be really shocking. In some classes, he might go in round 1, but this year is stupid deep.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 AM    (permalink
worldtheofend
Rookie

worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend worldtheofend

Crief is Andre Johnson 2.0
worldtheofend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the comparisons are getting a little crazy because of what he did at the combine. I do like him a lot, but he's really not that similar to Julio or Dre. I would say he's more like a faster Bowe or Hakeem Nicks. His route running isn't the greatest and he doesn't have the most natural of hands, nor does he have an elite ability to go up and get the ball. But he is dangerous once the ball is in his hands, and with his size and physicality, as long as he stays on the field, he should be quite the threat.

I am very worried that he's going to go to the Pats, but surely that can't happen...