Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not concerned at all with Teddy. I've seen enough of him to know he's still a top 5 selection. Is it disappointing that he had a bad pro day? sure, but it doesn't take away from what I've seen on film.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I didn't compare him to Smith.

I compared the situation of last year people calling for Smith to go No. 1 with no regard of glaring red flags because of his good production/tools to this year of people calling for BW to go No. 1 with no regard of less-glaring-but-easily-visible red flags because of good production/tools and top-notch intangibles/signature highlights.

BW is a much, much better prospect.
Actually, from a god-given talent standpoint, I would argue Geno is the better prospect. You can just put this off as homerism and stop reading the rest, but actually, midway through the college season I was kind of under the impression that none of the QBs in this class I could undeniably put over Geno. Over Teddy, he clearly has an arm strength and mobility advantage, and he stands taller in the pocket with a much better proportioned body (people seem to take issue with Teddy's upper body, but he's already top-heavy, and his bottom half will never fill out, which is where I think his issues will come). Where you could argue Teddy was better mainly centered around what he had mentally and his accuracy, but the first point is really anyone's guess now and I never thought he was all that accurate to begin with. Pocket presence could be another thing but I'm not too sure either of them has too much of that. I've just never really been too high on Teddy. He just doesn't have a clear redeemable quality about him. It'll actually be funny if he's sitting there for the Jets (kind of expect him to be) if they'll pull the trigger.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Actually, from a god-given talent standpoint, I would argue Geno is the better prospect. You can just put this off as homerism and stop reading the rest, but actually, midway through the college season I was kind of under the impression that none of the QBs in this class I could undeniably put over Geno. Over Teddy, he clearly has an arm strength and mobility advantage, and he stands taller in the pocket with a much better proportioned body (people seem to take issue with Teddy's upper body, but he's already top-heavy, and his bottom half will never fill out, which is where I think his issues will come). Where you could argue Teddy was better mainly centered around what he had mentally and his accuracy, but the first point is really anyone's guess now and I never thought he was all that accurate to begin with. Pocket presence could be another thing but I'm not too sure either of them has too much of that. I've just never really been too high on Teddy. He just doesn't have a clear redeemable quality about him. It'll actually be funny if he's sitting there for the Jets (kind of expect him to be) if they'll pull the trigger.
Well, I could be totally wrong, only time will tell, but IMO, BW is miles ahead of Smith in pocket presence and when you lack pocket presence like Smith does, it opens up a whole can of worms about his intangibles, which nobody questions BW on.

BW as I mentioned earlier, will workout for a # of teams and he can easily turn around his pro day and look great. We are really talking apples and oranges, Smith draft year was a very weak one and teams were not only desperate to find a QB, they were desperate to find any talent worth drafting in any round. BW is competing in one of the strongest drafts of all time where teams will have to decide between him and a future HoFer. The fact that he is getting top 5 consideration pretty well puts him miles ahead of Smith as a prospect, warts and all. Ditto for Manziel and Bortles. If Smith was in this draft year, we would be talking about him getting drafted in the late third to 4th round, there just is no comparison.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Well, I could be totally wrong, only time will tell, but IMO, BW is miles ahead of Smith in pocket presence and when you lack pocket presence like Smith does, it opens up a whole can of worms about his intangibles, which nobody questions BW on.

BW as I mentioned earlier, will workout for a # of teams and he can easily turn around his pro day and look great. We are really talking apples and oranges, Smith draft year was a very weak one and teams were not only desperate to find a QB, they were desperate to find any talent worth drafting in any round. BW is competing in one of the strongest drafts of all time where teams will have to decide between him and a future HoFer. The fact that he is getting top 5 consideration pretty well puts him miles ahead of Smith as a prospect, warts and all. Ditto for Manziel and Bortles. If Smith was in this draft year, we would be talking about him getting drafted in the late third to 4th round, there just is no comparison.
Pocket presence, like you said, but downfield accuracy he has a huge advantage as well. I also don't recall Bridgewater being a constant source of sack/fumbles. I know what Smith ran was undeniably better than what Teddy ran, but Teddy's feet in the pocket are light years ahead of Smith.

I put Smith on the same level as Derek Carr. Two guys, decent size, Carr with the better arm, less turnover prone, both guys can be inaccurate downfield, and both can really run a 40 but for the most part, are strictly pocket passers that just happen to be able to run fast in a straight line. Neither seem to be particularly nifty.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is accuracy God-given? If so, Teddy has a big advantage there...as well as not being a turnover machine... but I think turnovers aren't God-given as much as caused by Satan. lol
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post

I put Smith on the same level as Derek Carr. Two guys, decent size, Carr with the better arm, less turnover prone, both guys can be inaccurate downfield, and both can really run a 40 but for the most part, are strictly pocket passers that just happen to be able to run fast in a straight line. Neither seem to be particularly nifty.
Yes. 40 times are useless for these guys. Very rarely is it put on display for a QB unless they are a runner. Slow QBs can improvise.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
But at this point in the draft process last year, we were talking about Geno going top 5. I mean, he was invited to the first day of the draft. It was kind of a surprise he fell that far. So, to say that just because Teddy is getting consideration for going that early right now that automatically puts him ahead, I sort of disagree. And really, QBs are always pushed to the top of the draft, so it really doesn't matter what the class looks like, there will always be guys considered at the beginning of the 1st.

It's kind of hard to measure pocket presence between two prospects, but I'm at least comfortable believing that isn't Teddy's strongest trait. It's funny because in that play that gets all the hype from the bowl game where he spins around and throws that smooth fade on the run, he actually displays horrible pocket presence - he had no idea where the rush was coming from, he simply moved to move. He's going to get hit plenty, in my estimation. Whether he's on par with Geno in that regard, though, I'm not sure.

Whoever said Teddy has the clear advantage in downfield accuracy... I respectfully disagree. If there's one thing Geno does well, it's throw the ball deep. Teddy can't really even throw the ball deep enough to say he has good downfield accuracy. I think we're also underestimating the different in athleticism between Geno and Teddy. Purely in the pocket, they may be around equal, but in the option read NFL, Geno has him beat by a fair margin.

I'm really hoping Geno takes a leap in his 2nd year or I'm going to feel very sad backing him against all the haters lol
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone catch path to the draft? Jeremiah said Teddy's pro day has a lot of people spooked. He told a story about scouting for the Browns and falling in love with Beau Bell's tape. Then come pro day he looked terrible and his stock dropped. They thought they were getting a steal when he fell to the 4th round. Then training camp he looked like the guy at pro day instead of the one on tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I saw it.

He also mentioned something VERY interesting about Geno Smith. Apparently last year Chip Kelly put him through a workout and had him in a drill where he would be on the move and when he clapped, would have to set his feet. Apparently he struggled a lot so they dropped him on their board.

Back to BW, I had a thought.

I'm not using this as an excuse, and I'm honestly not surprised he had a bad pro day based on the film I saw, BUT the glove situation has to have at least a little something to do with it (also DJ mentioned a great point - what kind of game ball did UL use? You can definitely get away with it having less air than others). So here's my thing - with the draft so late, can he get his glove situation figured out and schedule a second pro day? Why the heck not? It's in his best interest.

Another note about this - doesn't it make Weinke look bad? Jordan Palmer looks like he's doing a heck of a job with Bortles. Weinke might lose all credibility, fairly or unfairly, if his corrections to BW's mechanics and preparation regiment doesn't actually help the kid's stock.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah I saw it.

He also mentioned something VERY interesting about Geno Smith. Apparently last year Chip Kelly put him through a workout and had him in a drill where he would be on the move and when he clapped, would have to set his feet. Apparently he struggled a lot so they dropped him on their board.

Back to BW, I had a thought.

I'm not using this as an excuse, and I'm honestly not surprised he had a bad pro day based on the film I saw, BUT the glove situation has to have at least a little something to do with it (also DJ mentioned a great point - what kind of game ball did UL use? You can definitely get away with it having less air than others). So here's my thing - with the draft so late, can he get his glove situation figured out and schedule a second pro day? Why the heck not? It's in his best interest.

Another note about this - doesn't it make Weinke look bad? Jordan Palmer looks like he's doing a heck of a job with Bortles. Weinke might lose all credibility, fairly or unfairly, if his corrections to BW's mechanics and preparation regiment doesn't actually help the kid's stock.
I think your forgetting, that BW doesn't need a second pro day, he will get to workout with each team that has a serious interest in him. They bring him to their facilities and work him out. He'll either impress them or he'll be dropping at least somewhat.

I really don't give a lot of credence to gloves or the game ball. He's been practicing for 2 months at least and should have no excuses.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
But at this point in the draft process last year, we were talking about Geno going top 5. I mean, he was invited to the first day of the draft. It was kind of a surprise he fell that far. So, to say that just because Teddy is getting consideration for going that early right now that automatically puts him ahead, I sort of disagree. And really, QBs are always pushed to the top of the draft, so it really doesn't matter what the class looks like, there will always be guys considered at the beginning of the 1st.

It's kind of hard to measure pocket presence between two prospects, but I'm at least comfortable believing that isn't Teddy's strongest trait. It's funny because in that play that gets all the hype from the bowl game where he spins around and throws that smooth fade on the run, he actually displays horrible pocket presence - he had no idea where the rush was coming from, he simply moved to move. He's going to get hit plenty, in my estimation. Whether he's on par with Geno in that regard, though, I'm not sure.

Whoever said Teddy has the clear advantage in downfield accuracy... I respectfully disagree. If there's one thing Geno does well, it's throw the ball deep. Teddy can't really even throw the ball deep enough to say he has good downfield accuracy. I think we're also underestimating the different in athleticism between Geno and Teddy. Purely in the pocket, they may be around equal, but in the option read NFL, Geno has him beat by a fair margin.

I'm really hoping Geno takes a leap in his 2nd year or I'm going to feel very sad backing him against all the haters lol
Hey, your probably a Jet's fan, you should support your guy against any criticism, nobody will hold it against you if your wrong. I know I cannot say with any certainty that he won't succeed, a light may go on and maybe it will all come together, I've seen it before.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's true about the workouts. The extra time could be for extra individual vists and workouts.

I have to say, this situation is unprecedented. I don't think a prospect considered even by the most optimistic draftniks to be a top 10 pick has ever had a truly bad pro day.

McShay said Matt Ryans was a little underwhelming, but even so it wasn't nearly as alarming as this.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I still think Geno has great potential but he has a LOT to learn about the pro game, stuff that Bridgewater had down as a sophomore in 2012 at Louisville.

Poise, pocket presence, timing routes with his drops, getting through his progressions and consistently finding the open guy, accuracy....there's really no way you can compare Geno to Teddy as a pro prospect mainly because playing in a WCO at Louisville has made Bridgewater infinitely more prepared for the pro game than Geno Smith. Or RG3. Or most of the QBs who've come out the last few years.

It's great that you have faith in Geno, I still do too.

But you're inserting Geno into a debate where there's very little to argue in his favor other than his raw physical tools which aren't that much better than TB.

People are slamming Teddy's pro day because they expected it to be flawless, when in fact it was a solid B. I don't know when a 'B' performance suddenly became a disaster.

It still in no way contradicted the player he was on game days at Louisville.

Teddy is the kind of QB I think can have a huge impact for a team as a rookie.

I wish the teams in top 5 the best, but Minny/Tennessee/Oakland won't shed a tear if Bridgewater falls to them.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 03-19-2014 at 01:13 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I have to disagree about Teddy having poor pocket presence. It actually IS one of his best traits. I agree that on that play it didn't show up but there are so many plays throughout his career where he navigates the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

The one thing that I've always been critical of with Teddy is his downfield accuracy. At times its downright atrocious. I kept assuming that it would get better with time but it looked as bad as ever at his pro day.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

The downfield accuracy/deep ball issue was ALWAYS the snag that the draftniks didn't get.

Everyone said "I keep hearing BW isn't a franchise guy worth a top ten pick, but no one can point to any real flaws besides his size."

Well that's the great separating factor - you simply aren't drafting a guy in the top 10 who you don't think has the arm to generate points from big plays down the field. You just can't do it.

And really, that kind of thing doesn't improve, but marginally. If you can't hit guys downfield, that's a huge, huge problem, and limits the offense in a debilitating way.

I'd be interested in finding some examples of him hitting these throws in games. I didn't find one in the 5 games I scouted. That's beyond alarming.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The downfield accuracy/deep ball issue was ALWAYS the snag that the draftniks didn't get.

Everyone said "I keep hearing BW isn't a franchise guy worth a top ten pick, but no one can point to any real flaws besides his size."

Well that's the great separating factor - you simply aren't drafting a guy in the top 10 who you don't think has the arm to generate points from big plays down the field. You just can't do it.

And really, that kind of thing doesn't improve, but marginally. If you can't hit guys downfield, that's a huge, huge problem, and limits the offense in a debilitating way.

I'd be interested in finding some examples of him hitting these throws in games. I didn't find one in the 5 games I scouted. That's beyond alarming.
You talk about his deep ball accuracy being alarming, but he's the most accurate deep ball thrower of any of the projected 1st round Quarterbacks (Manziel, Bortles, Carr)
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well honestly, while I was coming to the defense of Geno, I wasn't necessarily saying he's going to be amazing. He doesn't particularly inspire a lot of confidence in me, save for a few choice plays (and the hot/cold-ness to his game is what I think is one of the main issues). This is more about knocking Teddy back down to earth. I don't think either are going to be top QBs (but we can still win the SB with Geno!). I'm just saying that if I was looking at both, minus the mental stuff, on paper, Geno has more tools to work with IMO. Far more correctable flaws to his game if he can grasp everything mentally, and he clearly had less coaching in how to be a pro QB before the NFL.

On a similar note, Bortles seems to get a pass for all his inconsistencies, but he's probably even less polished than Geno, with fewer tools to work with.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:18 AM    (permalink
andxx1
Rookie

andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andxx1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since Bridgewater's pro day his stock has dropped in a lot of people's eyes. One thing I do not understand given the draft's past history is why? Todd Mcshay made an excellent point on how one of the best pro days he has ever been to was Jamarcus Russell's pro day; he said the worst he has seen, before Bridgewater's, was Matt Ryan's pro day. One interesting thing he said was when talking to older scouts that had attended Peyton Manning's pro day, he mentioned how Manning's pro day was underwhelming as well. His arm strength was not where it needed to be and the ball wobbled out of his hand on many throws.

Now first I would like to mention I am not saying Bridgewater is as good as a Matt Ryan or Peyton Manning; I saw neither of them in college, what I am saying is that pro days can be very deceiving about a QB's ability. From what I got out of the podcast and previous articles I've read when comparing Leaf to Manning was the fact that Manning may have had better film, but Leaf had a bigger arm and likely a better pro day.

This brings us to our next question. Why do certain QB's fail and others succeed?

More recently why have guys like Gabbert, Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman, Weeden, Quinn, possibly Dalton and maybe a Bradford fail?

Why do guys like Luck, Wilson, Newton, Ryan, and maybe a Foles have success?

One thing I've noticed when thinking back to a Tom Brady who fell in the draft; as well as a guy like Russell Wilson and even a Matt Ryan, who should've been a number 1 pick, is that they do not fit the mold of what you'd want for a prototypical QB. They may have the height of a Matt Ryan, but for him he did not have an elite arm and did not wow anyone in college. Tom Brady, very similar, the prototypical height, but too skinny and did not have any stand out physical attributes. Russell Wilson is an interesting case; he broke records in college, he worked in a pro style offense, was accurate, good arm, and to be honest when watching film, at least from what I've seen, he looked better than Luck.

It seems when it comes to evaluating talent, many people tend to focus on the wrong things. People who had guys like Russell Wilson low on their draft board were so caught up in his height and the fact that many starting QBs don't look like him. I feel Teddy is getting caught up in the same thing to a much lesser extent; he will be a 1st round pick. He has all the qualities that successful QBs have at the next level. The only question is if he will ever be a star instead of just another average QB. He has excellent arm strength in the short to intermediate area where he only has issues when the ball goes 25+ yards in the air. The reason this is not a bigger issue is that anyone who follows the NFL realizes most passes are made in the short to intermediate area. He has excellent accuracy in those areas with phenomenal footwork on film. The thing that separates him is the fact that he has excellent pocket presence where he is not easily flustered under pressure and makes some of his best plays on the run.

I asked at the beginning why some QBs fail. From what I've seen from film and watching games I'll give a brief statement why I think some of the QBs on my list failed

Gabbert- Awful pocket presence, moved up only because he looked like a QB with a strong arm and great in interviews.

Ponder- Inconsistent accuracy, bad pocket presence where he left the pocket too early at times. Manziel has the same issues to a lesser extent. He also had very average arm strength that cannot be overcome without better accuracy than what he has.

Sanchez-Does not show great pocket presence, highly inconsistent decision making and accuracy.

Freeman- Bad decision making and serious accuracy issues coming out that have only been more emphasized at the NFL level.

Weeden- Played in a system in college that required one read and was never forced to make multiple reads. He could not make an adjustment to going through progression reads.

Brady Quinn- He never had great pocket presence and the NFL exposed that. Not the greatest arm strength either and did not have the accuracy to make up for it.

I'm sure guys who have watched these guys more than me could go into greater detail on why these guys fail. I would write more on why certain guys have had success but this has already run a bit long. I'll say this, a QB who does not have great pocket presence, in which he flusters easily under pressure, does not have the ability to maneuver in or outside the pocket, and make accurate throws when pressured.

There is no QB in the league who has below average pocket presence that is able to maintain a starting job without at least good pocket presence. I feel that Bridgewater will be a great QB at the next level personally and if not I see him at least being a serviceable QB. My next post may go into more detail comparing him to the "elite" QB prospects that have come out the past few years. Thank goodness for **************!
andxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You talk about his deep ball accuracy being alarming, but he's the most accurate deep ball thrower of any of the projected 1st round Quarterbacks (Manziel, Bortles, Carr)
No, he's not.

I assume you're relying on the rotoworld metric article and not the game film. Watch Miami (he actually had a good overall game and GREAT stats but his deep ball was horrible), UCF, Cincy, and Rutgers.

And I just looked at the rotoworld metric article. That doesn't prove it either. So where did you get that?

Legitimately looking for a good deep ball from him. There was a post against Miami where he put it in a good spot against a signled up DB out of position, but I'm talking outside the numbers.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
No, he's not.

I assume you're relying on the rotoworld metric article and not the game film. Watch Miami (he actually had a good overall game and GREAT stats but his deep ball was horrible), UCF, Cincy, and Rutgers.

And I just looked at the rotoworld metric article. That doesn't prove it either. So where did you get that?

Legitimately looking for a good deep ball from him. There was a post against Miami where he put it in a good spot against a signled up DB out of position, but I'm talking outside the numbers.
Have you seen Carr or Bortles try to throw the ball beyond 15 yards? It isn't to pretty either.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
People are slamming Teddy's pro day because they expected it to be flawless, when in fact it was a solid B. I don't know when a 'B' performance suddenly became a disaster.
When did "average at best" become a solid B. Mayock also called it a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Have you seen Carr or Bortles try to throw the ball beyond 15 yards? It isn't to pretty either.
I've seen them hit it, though. And the ball just looks better coming out of their hands. They also use their lower body. That's the crux of BW's problem.

Every time I criticize BW (or last year Geno), people bring up the other QBs in the class. I'm not talking about the others. I'm not high on any of these QBs.

I think we're in a 2-year period where frankly, the QB prospects as a whole aren't very good, and draftniks (primarily the young ones) don't want to admit it/don't believe it. All draft classes are not created equal and the QB with the best stats in each class doesn't deserve to go No. 1 just because he happens to be the best in a particular class.

So I'm not talking about Bortles or Carr. I'm critiquing BW in the BW thread.

It would actually be funny to count how many different QBs are named in a given QB prospect thread. It would probably be 20+ in each of them. People would rather just name other QBs to make predictions than discuss the actual tape.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

http://**************.com/video/tedd...ncinnati-2013/

7:05 great deep throw, better defensive play.
9:56 he does his best Manziel.
10:38 good deep throw

http://**************.com/video/tedd...ida-2012-bowl/

0:08 great deep throw.
0:48 nice 20 yard strike
5:35 nice 20 yard throw
6:00 nice 25 yard throw

http://**************.com/video/tedd...kentucky-2013/

2:40 nice throw, better defensive play
5:02 great 25 yard strike while on the run
5:23 great 30 yard throw
5:58 25 yard throw

http://**************.com/video/tedd...-houston-2013/

5:00 40 yard throw drops it right in the receivers gut.
5:35 30 yard strike

Bridgewater's deep throw is more than good enough for the NFL Level. Teddy should be a top 5 pick, he has a quick release, very good pocket presence and can extend plays with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. He does a really nice job of throwing on the run and squaring his shoulders. And he's just an intelligent Quarterback who can hit his 2nd and 3rd options. He is an "all-arm" Quarterback who doesn't use his lower body like he should, but that can be taught.

In my opinion other than Andrew Luck, Bridgewater is the best Quarterback to come out in the last 5 years. And I find it odd that he decided not to wear gloves at his proday. He always wears gloves when he's playing.

If he somehow slips to #13, dear lord.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 03-19-2014 at 01:30 AM.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The new guy had a really good point in there. If the league was filled with Johnny Manziel types (or Teddy Bridgewaters) would you even think about drafting Blake Bortles? Serious question. Would he be worth "breaking the mold" for? That's why Wilson fell, and that's why Teddy and Johnny, who are both outstanding at playing football, are being somewhat unfairly disregarded.

There is a distinct disadvantage for those going into uncharted territory, and Teddy might be the first successful black pocket quarterback who isn't the prototypical size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
The new guy had a really good point in there. If the league was filled with Johnny Manziel types (or Teddy Bridgewaters) would you even think about drafting Blake Bortles? Serious question. Would he be worth "breaking the mold" for? That's why Wilson fell, and that's why Teddy and Johnny, who are both outstanding at playing football, are being somewhat unfairly disregarded.

There is a distinct disadvantage for those going into uncharted territory, and Teddy might be the first successful black pocket quarterback who isn't the prototypical size.
Jeff Blake was good for a minute in Cincy. Actually he was good for longer than that. 6 foot dropback QB.