Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
watkins and lee are pretty much the same size 6'1" to 6'0 205 to 200

id imagine the speed would be comparable as well
I think Lee will probably be closer to 5'11 and 190 when it's all said and done, but yeah there isn't too much of a size difference.

I still prefer Watkins though, at the moment.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, it appears Jarvis Jones has a concussion and might not play vs. the Ravens.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sucks. I was thinking he could get his first sack on Sunday.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the Steelers have made their season interesting now. I think the next two games are very winable.

There's only 3 games that I can see them losing, and that's NE, GB and Detroit. I think they win out in the division.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

We just released Redman and promoted LB Kion Wilson. Interesting.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

So if we win enough games to miss out on the top 3 tackles and both Lee and Watkins, who do you guys like?

What do you think about the ND D-linemen, Nix and Tuitt? Bradley Roby? Mike Evans? Brandon Coleman? CJ Mosley?

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Lastly, I'm not a big fan of them at all, but Pro Football Focus has David DeCastro rated as the fifth best guard in the league, and the second best right guard, so cool beans.

He has been playing well though, especially considering the rough start to his career vs. Geno Atkins last year.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Cbrunn
Rookie

Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
So if we win enough games to miss out on the top 3 tackles and both Lee and Watkins, who do you guys like?

What do you think about the ND D-linemen, Nix and Tuitt? Bradley Roby? Mike Evans? Brandon Coleman? CJ Mosley?
I like Nix ... But drafting a NT would make me a little mad though ... I like Ifo How ever his last name is spelled ... Lol

there is no way I touch Coleman in the 1st, there are tooo many good WRs to be had in the 2nd
Cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Lee will be a late first to late second round pick.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lastly, I'm not a big fan of them at all, but Pro Football Focus has David DeCastro rated as the fifth best guard in the league, and the second best right guard, so cool beans.

He has been playing well though, especially considering the rough start to his career vs. Geno Atkins last year.
how come you dont like pff? i feel liek they do a decent job of trying to put hard #'s on otherwise debatable areas

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
how come you dont like pff? i feel liek they do a decent job of trying to put hard #'s on otherwise debatable areas
I think there's too much stuff we, as fans, don't know about plays, assignments, and whatnot to successfully grade a player. It's easier to judge O-linemen (basically, did they get their guy), but for RBs, WRs, QBs, TEs, etc., it might not be as easy.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

true, i agree with a lot of that, however...

i will say i was offered a tryout for a job there about 1.5 years ago and the amount of information you needed to pull from game tapes really told you a lot about the play to where you can make a judgement on a play with about 90% accuracy i'd say.

i ended up not following through as i received a concrete job offer that wouldnt allow me to fulfill my obligations at pff but those dudes really seem to know their ish

i'd say the hardest areas to grade are d-linemen b/c it's nearly impossible to tell if theyre lined up correctly / stunt correctly / go to the right gaps without knowing the playcall

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Bored, so I'm doing another mock. This time, I project as picking in the teens.

1) Bradley Roby CB Ohio State
2) Cameron Erving OT Florida State
3) Donte Moncreif WR Ole Miss
4a) Ryan Carrethers DT Arkansas State
4b) Dee Ford OLB Auburn
5) Jacob Pederson TE Wisconsin
6a) Will Clarke DE West Virginia
6b) Antonio Andrews RB Western Kentucky
7a) Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
7b) John Urshal G Penn State

UDFA:

CJ Brown QB Maryland
Darwin Cook S West Virginia
Dorian Bell LB Duquesne
Jordan Hall RB Ohio State
BJ Stevens OLB Cal U
Justin Jones TE East Carolina
Isaiah Newsome S Louisiana Monroe
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David decastro is playing out of his mind right now...he is who we thought he was
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
David decastro is playing out of his mind right now...he is who we thought he was
So we're letting him off the hook!

But for real, nice to see him play well. After the rocky start he had, and the injury to Pouncey where he missed on a cut block, way too many people were starting to ask whether he'd be good. He's only had 9 starts, ffs, and a big injury last year.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
true, i agree with a lot of that, however...

i will say i was offered a tryout for a job there about 1.5 years ago and the amount of information you needed to pull from game tapes really told you a lot about the play to where you can make a judgement on a play with about 90% accuracy i'd say.

i ended up not following through as i received a concrete job offer that wouldnt allow me to fulfill my obligations at pff but those dudes really seem to know their ish

i'd say the hardest areas to grade are d-linemen b/c it's nearly impossible to tell if theyre lined up correctly / stunt correctly / go to the right gaps without knowing the playcall
Yeah, true. They probably do watch a lot of film and get a lot of info, but the issue for me is scheme-wise, mostly. Basically every defense is different, regardless of whether they're 3-4 or 4-3, so comparing players from one scheme to another isn't very effective or useful, IMO. I.E. the clearest example was with Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, where Jay Ratliff at NT (always close to 300 lbs.) got a lot of sacks and whatnot, something unusual for 3-4 NTs. That particular scheme was different to say, ours, where NTs are virtually nonexistent in passing situations, and we mainly use them as run-stuffers.

By comparing both as 3-4 NTs, one will clearly out-produce the other in terms of stats, meaning you'd have to evaluate them based on what is being asked of them, and we don't really know that.

Same goes for LB and CB and S and whatnot, Troy is allowed to roam all over the field, while Clark usually plays deep. If you compare Clark to other FS who don't necessarily play as deep, or Troy to other safeties who aren't necessarily roaming all over the field, their stats will be different, etc.

While I won't pretend to know that I understand exactly how PFF measures a successful play, I'm pretty sure they don't know what is being asked of every single player for every single play. It's still interesting to look at, but still not overly accurate, IMO.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Also, Tony Moeaki was waived with a settlement yesterday, and we apparently are looking into his health to put in a waiver claim.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Also, Tony Moeaki was waived with a settlement yesterday, and we apparently are looking into his health to put in a waiver claim.
Dude is so talented, but made of glass. I guess it won't hurt to see if he can stay healthy, but that's a huge if. Shamarko(I think) ended him in the preseason.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So we're letting him off the hook!

But for real, nice to see him play well. After the rocky start he had, and the injury to Pouncey where he missed on a cut block, way too many people were starting to ask whether he'd be good. He's only had 9 starts, ffs, and a big injury last year.
On the zone stretch that was called Pouncey is supposed to immediately get to the 2nd level and engage the Mike, and Decastro is supposed to cut the DT who comes across the A gap.

Pouncey didn't execute his assignment well
Decastro did exactly what the play called for

it was unfortunate... but hardly decastro's fault given the play call. I guess it did really rattle him though, he seriously has been a beast the last few weeks though. Not a big PFF fan, but they have him as the 4th best guard right now even after the shaky start
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

He kicked the **** out of Ngata and Arthur Jones.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Cbrunn
Rookie

Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

just throwing that out there, he's my favorite ... Since I believe we get in the playoffs by winning the division
Cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Well there goes Pryor.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Sloppy, sloppy start.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Sanders is having an off game. Stupid penalties on him.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Brutal, brutal first half. 106 total yards, defense is getting destroyed, offense can't do virtually anything, and now Suisham has his first miss of the season from 30-something out. Just embarrassingly bad.

Props to clover_jeez!