Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default LB Prospects who drop back into the Secondary

We all hear about Safeties being converted over to Linebackers(Thomas Davis, Taylor Mays etc.) but are there any Linebacker prospects in this class that could potentially slide back into coverage as a Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Last edited by shylo3716 : 04-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Telvin Smith.
Kevin Pierre-Louis.
Only two off the top of my head

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Telvin Smith is a guy you could turn into a Kam Chancellor type in my opinion, but realistically the lines between coverage LB and big safety are becoming blurred.

They aren't your typical LBs who you want taking on interior linemen in the run game, but in the same way you wouldn't be comfortable having them take the deep middle.

Playing that rover/robber role is becoming a lot more prominent for teams with a rangy FS and to be honest you can get a guy who is either a LB or a safety as long as they have enough of a physical presence with enough athleticism

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:51 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mo Alexander from Utah State used to be a LB. If you want a Kam Chancellor, and you're willing to gamble on his character, I think he's your best bet.

In the 6th or 7th RD because of his character issues.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Bird View Post
Mo Alexander from Utah State used to be a LB. If you want a Kam Chancellor, and you're willing to gamble on his character, I think he's your best bet.

In the 6th or 7th RD because of his character issues.
He was the name I was going to bring up as well. His teammates thought enough of him for him to have been a team captain the year after being away from the team; for what that's worth.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 AM    (permalink
E_Bird
Veteran

E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E_Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
He was the name I was going to bring up as well. His teammates thought enough of him for him to have been a team captain the year after being away from the team; for what that's worth.
I actually did a write up on a 7th, a 6th, and a 5th RD prospect last night (very brief, and I'll probably post it later), but Alexander was my 7th. Here's a bit from it:

Mo Alexander is a natural athlete and an explosive player around the line of scrimmage (3 ½ sacks and 9 TFL ). He’s a big safety (6’1, 220 with 32 5/8” arms). He can and did play deep—both in 2-deep and single-high, and he possesses the necessary speed (4.54) to do it in the pros. But he’s best in the box. You might attribute his low INT total (1) to his small hands (8 7/8”). His 6 PBU’s indicate that he is active in the passing game.
E_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Alexander. I could see him going in the 3rd or 4th round.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Telvin Smith can play safety. He's almost athletic enough to do so, but doesn't have a good feel in coverage from what I've seen, especially zone. His movement skills are attractive, but worthless unless he knows where he should be going. I guess hes one of the better options for that in this class, but that's mostly because there aren't many convincing ones.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM    (permalink
The 1969 Juice
Rookie

The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The last guy I can remember successfully doing it is Adam Archuleta but none of the LBers in this class are close to freak athlete he was
The 1969 Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I don't think Telvin Smith can play safety. He's almost athletic enough to do so, but doesn't have a good feel in coverage from what I've seen, especially zone. His movement skills are attractive, but worthless unless he knows where he should be going. I guess hes one of the better options for that in this class, but that's mostly because there aren't many convincing ones.
I fundamentally could not disagree with you more. You're the first person I've seen who has questioned his instincts in pass coverage. He's extremely fast to close on the football, and looks equally comfortable in a deep drop or covering the flat. I watched every one of his scouting videos, and id be hard pressed to remember a single situation where he made a bad read or was slow to react.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I fundamentally could not disagree with you more. You're the first person I've seen who has questioned his instincts in pass coverage. He's extremely fast to close on the football, and looks equally comfortable in a deep drop or covering the flat. I watched every one of his scouting videos, and id be hard pressed to remember a single situation where he made a bad read or was slow to react.
Check out the game against Boston College on Youtube. At 2:40, Smith gets caught peeking into the backfield, catches up to his man, then overpursues and gives up the touchdown. Also overruns in pursuit on the screen at 4:15. Mistake at 7:00, commits to outside break even after WR breaks inside, tries to recover, ball's already out. Another mistake on the touchdown at 9:50. Playing in the middle, outside linebacker on the weak side takes man coverage on the receiver lined up to the left of the formation, Smith flows down the line to the strong side and completely misses TE block and release, crosses the field to Smith's side and creates a ton of separation for the touchdown; you can see Smith try to recover, but it's way too late. At 11:05, poor read by Rettig, but Smith is the only man on the right side playing zone, running back releases to the right, Smith goes left based on QB's eyes, leaving a big gain if Rettig had noticed it.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Check out the game against Boston College on Youtube. At 2:40, Smith gets caught peeking into the backfield, catches up to his man, then overpursues and gives up the touchdown.
Extraordinarily nitpicky. Telvin Smith caught up to his man and forced him back inside where he had significant help. Everyone else overran him as well. I would not view that as a negative in pass coverage, moreso a negative in tackling. That exact play happens about a dozen other times in other film, almost always resulting in no gain or a negative gain.

Quote:
Also overruns in pursuit on the screen at 4:15
He beat out all of the pulling blockers, and forced his man to stop and cut inside which he was almost immediately tackled for a 2 yard gain. \That was actually a fantastic play.

Quote:
Mistake at 7:00, commits to outside break even after WR breaks inside, tries to recover, ball's already out.
That wasn't his man, Ramsey had man coverage on that guy the whole way. Telvin Smith made his designated drop, read the QB's eyes and broke back to the football when it was thrown. If we're going to call that a negative, then most players make that "mistake" on almost every play.

Quote:
Another mistake on the touchdown at 9:50. Playing in the middle, outside linebacker on the weak side takes man coverage on the receiver lined up to the left of the formation, Smith flows down the line to the strong side and completely misses TE block and release, crosses the field to Smith's side and creates a ton of separation for the touchdown; you can see Smith try to recover, but it's way too late.
Fair enough on this one. That was an extremely good play-call, and Telvin Smith may have lost track of that guy in the shuffle.

Quote:
At 11:05, poor read by Rettig, but Smith is the only man on the right side playing zone, running back releases to the right, Smith goes left based on QB's eyes, leaving a big gain if Rettig had noticed it.
But he didn't, Rettig stared down his receiver the entire time. He had a propensity of doing that his entire career at BC. NFL linebackers, and good ones at that make the same kind of plays all the time. We call that "veteran instinct" and call it a positive in those cases. The fact of the matter is that Smith followed his instincts and his scouting and found himself closer to the play as a result of his decision.

In case anyone is wondering this is the tape MJ is talking about.

Now it's my turn.

1:02, 2:45, 4:02, 4:20, 5:50, and 8:35

Moreover, saying calling plays "overruns" and "blown assignments" show that you don't really appreciate the difficulty of playing the nickel and dime assignments that Telvin Smith played. Those are 65%+ success type plays in the NFL. Screens, Drags, flare routes, ect. They're the plays the Pats and other teams run to death. Against Smith in his tape those plays are 35% plays. He's lightning quick to his man, and plays tight coverage oftentimes eliminating the easiest timing throws that a QB uses to get into a rhythm. He's far and away the best coverage LB in the draft, a few slip ups are going to happen with that much time and open field, but the play by in-large incredibly impressive.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 04-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote