Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who goes further this season from the NFC West?
San Francisco 58 45.31%
Seattle 70 54.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You continue to imply that you think the Seahawks offense will be worse than it was last year. And your reasoning for this is that they don't have a player that they didn't have last year?

And your other reason is that Russell Wilson will regress for __________ reasons.

That blank has yet to be filled. The same characters are back on the OL. Beast mode. Beast mode mini. Beast mode mini shuffle. The same receivers.

They lost Anthony McCoy.

They've gained potential road grater Carpenter and a female RB who had an OK preseason.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Was she named after the car?
She was named after a giant-pain-in-the-ass. She delivers daily.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
She was named after a giant-pain-in-the-ass

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The number of people picking Seattle to win it all is staggering.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
You continue to imply that you think the Seahawks offense will be worse than it was last year. And your reasoning for this is that they don't have a player that they didn't have last year?

And your other reason is that Russell Wilson will regress for __________ reasons.

That blank has yet to be filled. The same characters are back on the OL. Beast mode. Beast mode mini. Beast mode mini shuffle. The same receivers.

They lost Anthony McCoy.

They've gained potential road grater Carpenter and a female RB who had an OK preseason.
I expect Russell to struggle in his sophomore year once teams have tape to scheme against and he gets handed even more responsibilities. It's what second year QBs do and I'm picking enough other second year starters to dodge it that I can't pick Russell to avoid it to. I actually think both Russell and Kaep will come down to earth, but only one of them to legitemately struggle, right now my gut says that of the two it'll be Wilson.

I also think you guys overachieved a bit last year with your blocking and receiving corps. Add some regression from them and some struggles to Russ and that offense looks a lot different than last year.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, this is the best divisional rivalry in the NFL today, at least this year.

Steelers-Ravens-Bungles are now a trifecta. Sorry Brownies.
Giants-Cows-Redskins-Eagles is always a lot of rivals.
Packers-Bears-Vikings.... both those fan bases hate Packers.
I'd put the Saints-Falcons at #2 right now behind the Seattle-San Fran.
Anyone agree with that, at least for this season?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I expect Russell to struggle in his sophomore year once teams have tape to scheme against and he gets handed even more responsibilities. It's what second year QBs do and I'm picking enough other second year starters to dodge it that I can't pick Russell to avoid it to. I actually think both Russell and Kaep will come down to earth, but only one of them to legitemately struggle, right now my gut says that of the two it'll be Wilson.

I also think you guys overachieved a bit last year with your blocking and receiving corps. Add some regression from them and some struggles to Russ and that offense looks a lot different than last year.
There is no football based analysis in this explanation whatsoever. It's just baseless superstition.

"Well if Tannehill's going to be better, Wilson surely can't be!" Why? The two individuals have nothing to do with each other.

Wilson got better with the more they put on his plate.

Teams schemed to blitz the hell out of him early and it worked in the first few games. He adjusted, the offense adjusted, and he torched them by moving in the pocket and out of it, scrambling, and making smart quick reads in the face of pressure. By the end of the year, he struggled most against standard four-man rushes (I'd argue his height is a legitimate problem in these instances).

Three things show me a guy who's ready to improve in year two rather than decline due to the sophomore slump lazy crap narrative.

1) He's still got that great running game to set everything up.

2) He has a zero tolerance policy for interceptions. He'll never ever throw for 15 or more picks - that's just not his style. He'll take sacks and scramble out and throw it away and let the team punt it and play D before he makes those costly mistakes. That philosophy is a huge plus and that maturity separates him from most 2nd-year young QBs. Think Wisconsin passing efficiency record.

3) Most importantly, his career arch is ascending at a perfect rate. He got better every game. Will he be rusty to start? Maybe. But he's not going to all of the sudden turn into a 5-pick a game dud. The way his career has started - that's how great players start off. There's no reason to doubt his work ethic - so why should we expect any dropoff? There's really no good reason to.

If you want to say the OL regresses somewhat drastically and the running game is ineffective (when realistically they add two horses to that attack in Carpenter and Michael), then I guess I can buy that because they aren't the most talented group.

I don't think the receivers overachieved. Tate and Rice are fine players - they just aren't fantasy/Madden studs and they play in a run-first offense so there's a perception they are below average when in fact they are just about perfect for this scheme. I think you could predict an injury to Rice if your looking for a substance-based reason for their offense to decline. That would hurt, but not kill them.

I'd argue the only reason they'd struggle is if Bevell gets too pass happy.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post

Russell is already a legendary film junkie. That's absolutely one of the reasons he had so much success last year. Other teams aren't just going to be studying him - he's going to be studying them. Also, if you watched the Seahawks weekly last year you saw him go from slightly tentative and risk-averse in the beginning of the season to supremely confident and effective by the end. He improved all across the board. Even his rushing totals were increasing by the end of the year. He was just getting warmed up as the season wore on, and then closed it with a 385-yard day against the Falcons in the second round of the playoffs. The Seahawks aren't going to go all New Orleans this year by any means, because that's simply not their style, but Russell Wilson's going to be dangerous.

As for the wide receivers, it's a solid group. They don't drop a lot of passes. YAC leaves something to be desired for much of the group, which is why they brought Percy Harvin in, but Golden Tate had his fair share of highlight-reel plays last year, both with acrobatic catches and making tacklers miss (I believe he was second only to Percy Harvin in that category last year among wide receivers). I expect Sidney Rice to perform about the same as last year, maybe in the 65 800 8 range, but I think in Percy's absence Golden Tate is going to make a name for himself this year.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Seattle:

Quality 10 am road win against a very talented team.

The receivers and Wilson played terrific. The OL not so much, but credit a stout Panthers front seven. There were a bunch of mistakes but in the end they made the got huge plays from ETIII, Kearse, Tate, Baldwin, and obviously Wilson. This is the type of struggle good teams end up winning.

Holding Cam+ to 7 points without Avril, Clemons and Irvin was damn impressive. I don't know why the Cards got rid of O'Brien Schofield.

Final stats for Wilson in a messy game, with no help from the running game - a cool 25/33 for 320, 1 TD, and no turnovers. Efficient and mistake-free has become the norm. For some context, last year they let him throw it more than 33 times just three times. He's in for a special season.

As for San Fran... Kaep is scary and his postgame comments about Clay Matthews (who is truly becoming a tired act), were gold. I've discussed how we should attack him at length in this thread and I didn't re-watch the Packer game or anything, but I think it's clear they simply didn't have the players in the secondary they needed to play man against Boldin and Vernus. We might.

Should be an awesome game.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2013 ACT ONE ALMOST HERE......

EDGE: Seattle

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 09-10-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Final stats for Wilson in a messy game, with no help from the running game - a cool 25/33 for 320, 1 TD, and no turnovers. Efficient and mistake-free has become the norm.
Dude, your homer is showing. He lost a fumble and took a sack that lost like 20 yards. He was great in the second half and it was awesome to see that the offense could rely on him when the running game stalled, but there's still room for improvement, and that's what should be exciting.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If anything has changed for you after the first week of football in regards to this discussion, I'd like to ask what changed your mind.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
If anything has changed for you after the first week of football in regards to this discussion, I'd like to ask what changed your mind.
TJ, not sure who you were responding to since nothing was quoted.

SF has taken the lead in this poll.... that could change after Sunday night's game if Seattle puts another spanking on the Niners as they did week 16 last year.

But if the Caped Kaeper wins in Seattle against the 12th man (Is Lance Easley suiting up for the Hawks again?), then the Niners should open up their lead.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Dude, your homer is showing. He lost a fumble and took a sack that lost like 20 yards. He was great in the second half and it was awesome to see that the offense could rely on him when the running game stalled, but there's still room for improvement, and that's what should be exciting.
At the end of the first half, when they were driving, my directtv froze on my computer and I completely forgot that he lost that fumble. I didn't even see it. What happened on that drive?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
TJ, not sure who you were responding to since nothing was quoted.

SF has taken the lead in this poll.... that could change after Sunday night's game if Seattle puts another spanking on the Niners as they did week 16 last year.

But if the Caped Kaeper wins in Seattle against the 12th man (Is Lance Easley suiting up for the Hawks again?), then the Niners should open up their lead.
General statement not directed towards anyone but I was seeing what kind of knee jerk reaction there was here because it's everywhere else on this board.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Who you guys got this week up in Seattle?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
At the end of the first half, when they were driving, my directtv froze on my computer and I completely forgot that he lost that fumble. I didn't even see it. What happened on that drive?
After the huge sack, Breno pissed off Frank Alexander and Alexander punched him in the head, which got him ejected from the game and gave us a first down. Then Russell hooked up with Doug Baldwin for 23 yards and we were on the 12 yard line with 30-something seconds left on the clock, looking like we were going to score, but Charles Johnson got around Breno and just knocked the ball out of Russell Wilson's hand while he was standing in the pocket. One of those plays where Russell didn't look like he knew the rush was coming until Johnson's arm came down on the ball from behind him.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The St. Louis Rams.

But really between these two, 49ers. But I refuse to vote

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

What happened to the eyebrow thing?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Looks like Clemons and Browner won't play.

Avril will.

Irvin is suspended and obviously Harvin's not there. It's not the full squad but the depth is good on this team.

Walter Thurmand III will have a huge role. He'll start at RCB and move inside in nickel - likely matching up with Boldin for a majority of the game.

There was talk Sherman would shadow Boldin but he plays LCB exclusively so when he moves to X and the slot I doubt Sherman will follow.

Malcom Smith and Walter Thurmand III figure to be key players the Niners will likely target.

Byron Maxwell will play RCB in nickel. He might get exposed too. I have supreme faith in WTIII, not so much Maxwell.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Pitchers duel tonight..... yawner so far.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Well that was fun.

49ers offense was putrid, but it wasn't like the broadcasts showed Kaep missing wide open targets down the field. The secondary and DC had a hell of a game.

And Avril and Bennett looked great. Adding Clemons and Irvin will give them four above average pass rushers. And I like Schofield too.

Russell Wilson isn't sharp yet. I trust he'll get things together.

And Harvin could be back sometime after Week 6.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Pitchers duel tonight..... yawner so far.
Except the pitchers weren't really pitching. Sort of reminded me of premier league soccer there for awhile.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean. I don't want to gloat but I did say Seattle.

Isn't that right Babylon?

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
I mean. I don't want to gloat but I did say Seattle.

Isn't that right Babylon?
Absolutely.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote