Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Aaron Curry Retires

Remember when this guy was supposedly the best player in the 2009 draft?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...162743433.html

Didn't everyone consider this guy a sure thing? What the **** happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well....I was WAY off!

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There were many people who thought the Lions should take Curry or Jason Smith because they were safer picks.

As for what happened, I'd say it's likely a case of the guy getting a fat rookie contract and losing motivation.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I had him as the safest pick in that draft.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
There were many people who thought the Lions should take Curry or Jason Smith because they were safer picks.

As for what happened, I'd say it's likely a case of the guy getting a fat rookie contract and losing motivation.
Never understood what people saw in Jason Smith, Monroe was always such a better player.

As for Curry, I don't think there is really much anyone can look back on and be like "damn, should have seen this coming." Go back and look at his tape even now and you'd still give him a high grade. He was the total package on and off the field. Some players just don't make it and you can't pinpoint any reason or really understand, Curry is definitely one of those players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the lions were in negotiations with stafford, smith, and curry.

I like curry but i HATED jason smith....i had Oher, Andre, Monroe, Smith (not that i was right, but i did loathe smith as a top 5 pick)

Meanwhile, stafford signed a high extension is in pure contract dollars is probably the richest NFL player by 25 ever
Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess AJ Hawk at #5 overall wasn't SO bad afterall.
Yet guys like Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis go in the teens or twenties.

How to figure ILBers?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 2009 draft was epically underwhelming.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
The 2009 draft was epically underwhelming.
It was strange in that you had guys like Jason Smith, Curry and Mark Sanchez going early but then after 20 you had the likes of Percy Harvin, Clay Matthews and Hakeem Nicks.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I guess AJ Hawk at #5 overall wasn't SO bad afterall.
Yet guys like Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis go in the teens or twenties.

How to figure ILBers?
And mcclain has retired after going what 8th in 2010?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hawk at 5 is still horrible.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Hawk was the best there though, he was such a beast at OSU

I guess Vernon would have been good, obviously in hindsight Ngata would have been the best (probably #1 overall)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hated Curry but I loved Jason Smith so I can't really talk.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Curry looked so good coming out. He just had all the tools you wanted. A non pass rushing 43 olb just isn't a premium pick. Curry even admitted that he got lazy when he got paid 33mil. He was an elite prospect or damn close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was reading some scouting reports of Curry and McClain and it makes me wonder why were they so regarded as prospects when they never showed the hips needed to be a LB on passing downs. In 2007 and 2009 it was clear what the game was developing to.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Curry's tools, I have to believe on some level he lost his motivation to improve on the technical and mental aspects of playing LB.

One of those guys who quits working on their craft once practice is over.

6'2/4.5 speed/250# should find a way to stick in the NFL at LB if he has average ability.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never been more wrong about a draft pick then Aaron Curry. Loved him coming out of Wake.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post

I made a topic that basically called lions fans idiots for wanting a LB over a QB, even if the LB turned into Patrick Willis.

But now, Stafford is still in the NFL so I look like a genius. :D
Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Never understood what people saw in Jason Smith, Monroe was always such a better player.
It had to be someone questioning his athletic ability, because it was night and day between their technique.

Monroe was by far the best OT in that class.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I made a topic that basically called lions fans idiots for wanting a LB over a QB, even if the LB turned into Patrick Willis.

But now, Stafford is still in the NFL so I look like a genius. :D
Ive always wondered when does it come a time to take the non qb and roll the dice on the qb class for next season and that you will have a high enough pick to grab a stud QB, and if a GM will risk their job on that. I say this because look at 2007 nfl draft then 2008 nfl draft. Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson w/ Ryan or Flacco would be better then Jamarcus Russell and whoever. Same with the 2010 and 2011 NFL draft, Von Miller and Luck or RG3 would give you a brighter future then Cam Newton. It could be a very similiar situation this year with Clowney or Bridgewater. I know GMs dont do it because it is a big risk with their jobs but I would love to see a GM try it out.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually thought he had a good season when we traded for him, but he couldn't get healthy after that and never really saw the field again.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Ive always wondered when does it come a time to take the non qb and roll the dice on the qb class for next season and that you will have a high enough pick to grab a stud QB, and if a GM will risk their job on that. I say this because look at 2007 nfl draft then 2008 nfl draft. Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson w/ Ryan or Flacco would be better then Jamarcus Russell and whoever. Same with the 2010 and 2011 NFL draft, Von Miller and Luck or RG3 would give you a brighter future then Cam Newton. It could be a very similiar situation this year with Clowney or Bridgewater. I know GMs dont do it because it is a big risk with their jobs but I would love to see a GM try it out.
I sort of understand what you are getting at if I am an owner, but no GM would survive being #1 overall the next year. They'd be fired.

However, if you take a guy #1 overall, either your team is so talent void that even a QB won't help or that guy will make it hard for your team to be #1 again. Look at the Colts. They basically tanked. Even if they didn't get Luck (or RG3), though they would have won too many games the next year (even without Manning). Injuries and effort are what usually determine the #1 pick. It's rare that the pick goes to the team with the least talent.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I truly think there's a tendency for people make too big of a deal about individual picks. Yes, it's very important for teams to hit on their top picks, but they need to hit on a good number of other ones as well, and those can be at any position including quarterback. Yes, there are the Andrew Lucks, Robert Griffins and Peyton Mannings of the world; there are also Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, and Kaepernick. It's not about having the top pick, it's about picking well. It's not surprising that the team that made JaMarcus Russell the no. 1 overall pick was also devoid of talent through the rest of their roster. Nor is it surprising that Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick play for teams that draft well and whose front offices regularly find solid players outside of the first round.

Speaking of which, the Pats just released Ras-I Dowling, a second round pick two years ago. I'm almost ready to say the Pats kind of suck at drafting and were just lucky to end up with a savant out of Michigan in the 6th round. I mean, the Belichick coaching tree has been pretty awful, too.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 08-28-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post

Speaking of which, the Pats just released Ras-I Dowling, a second round pick two years ago. I'm almost ready to say the Pats kind of suck at drafting and were just lucky to end up with a savant out of Michigan in the 6th round. I mean, the Belichick coaching tree has been pretty awful, too.
He's been hit and miss like every coach and GM in the league, he just gets to stay long enough to get a few solid players after missing two years in a row
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
He's been hit and miss like every coach and GM in the league, he just gets to stay long enough to get a few solid players after missing two years in a row
There are quite a few teams that draft better than the Patriots and I'm suggesting Belichick's tenure has a lot to do with Brady, who was an accident.