Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2012 QB Rankings

Though it comes from an interesting source I thought that these guys did a good job of calculating who the best QB's were in 2012.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...on-2013-1?op=1

The most interesting things I take from the article are:

Luck at 19 barely edging out Ponder. While I think a lot of people overrate Luck's rookie season I think this ranking was quite a bit absurd.

RG3 at 5... While I think people underrate his rookie year, top 5 seems a bit high but after looking at it closer I can see how he could be worthy of that ranking.

Alex Smith right behind Kaep. Not a Smith fan at all but from a sheer numbers standpoint he wasn't bad last year. I think flip flopping him and Luck would add some credibility to the rankings.

No Joe Flacco in the top 15? I thought he was an Elite SB winning QB?

Thought's?

Anyone want to share their rankings?

Mine are relatively similar to this with a few modifications here and there.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:40 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They just averaged QB rating, QBR, and DYAR. It's not a particularly good or interesting method of analysis.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a problem when people only take stats into consideration to rank any position, specially the QB. QB's are responsible for most of the success a team achieves and it's not all about Yards, TD's, int's and completions. It's about being a leader, making the team around you better, being able to rally the troops and perform when it matters most.

And that's why Andrew Luck is ranked so low (below Alex freaking Smith), he didn't have a fantastic year numbers wise, but he was the main reason why that team who finished last in 2011 made the playoffs last year. The players and coaches believed and perfomed at a higher level than they were supposed to because they had a leader and great player under center.

Having said that my rankings are:

1. Aaron Rodgers (Best player in the NFL, no doubt)
2. Peyton Manning (These 3 guys are quite similar, all-time greats, who have proven their value many times, still playing at the highest level)
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh's season could've gone alot different if this guy didn't go down)
6. Eli Manning (Inconsistent, but 2 SB rings is hard to argue)
7. Andrew Luck (Best of the young guys, in my mind)
8. Russell Wilson (Excellent rookie season, alot of talent around him, best situation of the three)
9. RGIII (Injury knocked him)
10. Matt Ryan (Has to prove he can win the big one)
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post

No Joe Flacco in the top 15? I thought he was an Elite SB winning QB?
I would assume this only is measured by regular season performance, and that Flaccos insane playoff run is not factored in.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
They just averaged QB rating, QBR, and DYAR. It's not a particularly good or interesting method of analysis.
The information behind those stats are pretty interesting and I'd say they were pretty accurate for the most part. I see a lot of guys talk about other criteria being added into the equation to add context, but once you go that route it's rare for anyone to stay objective enough to make it work. After the stats it just becomes opinionated conjecture that no one can agree on. Like you'll see a guy say Luck had a great year broke all these records like most pass attempts for a rookie, then you'll see the same guy say Stafford didn't have as good of a year as people think, he just threw more than anyone else. (Just as an example).

Or say RG3's stats are misleading because he throws shorter passes than X QB but then praise Brady and Arod despite them throwing short more often than RG3. There comes a point where you have to have some quatitative approach that takes the human element out of the equation IMO. (Not that it's perfect either, however)

I thought that they took a good group of stats that are decently accurate and cover a wide range of attributes and for the most part got it right. Most people would have guys like Brady, Manning and Arod in the top 3 and Ryan and Brees in the top 6. There is always going to be debate as everyones vantage points differ, some people watch certain QB's more than others, and we inherintly decipher information differently so no ones ever going to completely agree.

Last edited by Guru : 06-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
I would assume this only is measured by regular season performance, and that Flaccos insane playoff run is not factored in.
True, I admit I didn't pay much attention to him during the regular season I just assumed he'd at least be top 10.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosfan View Post
I have a problem when people only take stats into consideration to rank any position, specially the QB. QB's are responsible for most of the success a team achieves and it's not all about Yards, TD's, int's and completions. It's about being a leader, making the team around you better, being able to rally the troops and perform when it matters most.

And that's why Andrew Luck is ranked so low (below Alex freaking Smith), he didn't have a fantastic year numbers wise, but he was the main reason why that team who finished last in 2011 made the playoffs last year. The players and coaches believed and perfomed at a higher level than they were supposed to because they had a leader and great player under center.

Having said that my rankings are:

1. Aaron Rodgers (Best player in the NFL, no doubt)
2. Peyton Manning (These 3 guys are quite similar, all-time greats, who have proven their value many times, still playing at the highest level)
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh's season could've gone alot different if this guy didn't go down)
6. Eli Manning (Inconsistent, but 2 SB rings is hard to argue)
7. Andrew Luck (Best of the young guys, in my mind)
8. Russell Wilson (Excellent rookie season, alot of talent around him, best situation of the three)
9. RGIII (Injury knocked him)
10. Matt Ryan (Has to prove he can win the big one)
What makes Arod the best in the NFL without a doubt? I look at him Brady and Manning like I look at Vanilla, Chocolate, And strawberry ice cream, all good, all popular, give me any of them and I'm happy. Lol

And this is 2012 only, I think you are using past years to influence some of your rankings. Like Eli's rings should not play a part in his performance last year.

Last edited by Guru : 06-09-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
True, I admit I didn't pay much attention to him during the regular season I just assumed he'd at least be top 10.
Not at. He was high level meh. It got a lot better when Cameron was finally booted and Caldwell took over. I hope that Flacco will be more like the end of the year than the start. I think he might break 4k yards and maybe 30 tds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What makes Arod the best in the NFL without a doubt? I look at him Brady and Manning like I look at Vanilla, Chocolate, And strawberry ice cream, all good, all popular, give me any of them and I'm happy. Lol

And this is 2012 only, I think you are using past years to influence some of your rankings. Like Eli's rings should not play a part in his performance last year.
What makes A-Rod the best without a doubt is his ability to run, which none of the other 3 guys have (Manning, Brady, Brees). Their passing abilities are as good as the next guy, but none of them are a threat running the football but Rodgers.

And about Eli, I made my list based on career and their projected impact on the 2013 season. But if we're talking 2012 strictly then remove Manning, move the other guys up a spot and squeeze Flacco on the 10th spot.
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I refuse to accept any list that omits J Cutty from their top 2.

Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosfan View Post
What makes A-Rod the best without a doubt is his ability to run, which none of the other 3 guys have (Manning, Brady, Brees). Their passing abilities are as good as the next guy, but none of them are a threat running the football but Rodgers.

And about Eli, I made my list based on career and their projected impact on the 2013 season. But if we're talking 2012 strictly then remove Manning, move the other guys up a spot and squeeze Flacco on the 10th spot.
That's what I figured you would say and I think that's fair.